Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2886179)   #76
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I'm curious to see how other people react.

Me too!
Old 26 May 2011, 16:40 (Ref:2886254)   #77
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had an opportunity to see it on DVD but my first time has to be in the cinema.

I know some people are speaking of being 12 etc and not fully understanding, I was 26 and had seen Senna since F3 when I was 15. I remember exactly where I was when his car left the track that day, and my name kind of gives away my feelings.

I'm expecting to re-live all my emotions again, and I can't wait
Old 27 May 2011, 01:33 (Ref:2886495)   #78
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can someone post a torrent link?
Old 27 May 2011, 01:34 (Ref:2886496)   #79
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
Can someone post a torrent link?
Wrong place...
Old 27 May 2011, 11:32 (Ref:2886655)   #80
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Me too!

Expect some crying faces...
Old 28 May 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2887000)   #81
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My thoughts on Senna

Yeah it was very sad. A fantastic documentary.

It could easily have been twice as long, as there's plenty of stuff that it didn't tap into. For instance his entire life and career leading up to F1. Instead showed a few karting comments and shots and then skipped straight to the 1984 Monaco GP.

Also it really doesn't go into much detail throughout each season, instead focusing mainly on the result. It goes from Japan 88 to Japan 89 and then Japan 90. There was hardly any focus on what actually happened during those seasons and how, for instance, Prost had such a big points gap to Senna in 89. They did put emphasis on Senna being the greatest, but skipped over the fact that Senna wouldn't have won the title in 1989 anyway so it really didn't matter. I never realised he was disqualified for cutting the chicane though - I assumed it was the push-start. Being disqualified for cutting a chicane is completely absurd.

It also really only mentions Prost and Jean-Marie Balestre. Barely a mention of Mansell, Piquet, Schumacher, Hill or even Berger. And even then it paints Prost and Balestre (in particular) as complete *******s.

The other problem is that it makes Senna look quite emotionally unstable and not a happy person at all, despite all his winning. A lot of inner-conflicts. I don't know, perhaps Senna really was like this??? I never started watching F1 until 1994.

I just remember thinking, if Schumacher or Vettel had just won the 1989 world championship they'd ecstatic, not continuing to whinge about another incident with Prost, which really didn't matter.

One thing I wonder after watching it though, is whether Senna would have retired after 1994 or not...
Old 28 May 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2887069)   #82
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Senna whinges were far more interesting than Vettel or TGF saying "here we are. World champion. Unbelievable. A dream come true".

His rants were compelling in a way Alonso could never hope to achieve.
Old 28 May 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2887075)   #83
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Yeah it was very sad. A fantastic documentary.

It could easily have been twice as long, as there's plenty of stuff that it didn't tap into. For instance his entire life and career leading up to F1. Instead showed a few karting comments and shots and then skipped straight to the 1984 Monaco GP.

Also it really doesn't go into much detail throughout each season, instead focusing mainly on the result. It goes from Japan 88 to Japan 89 and then Japan 90. There was hardly any focus on what actually happened during those seasons and how, for instance, Prost had such a big points gap to Senna in 89. They did put emphasis on Senna being the greatest, but skipped over the fact that Senna wouldn't have won the title in 1989 anyway so it really didn't matter. I never realised he was disqualified for cutting the chicane though - I assumed it was the push-start. Being disqualified for cutting a chicane is completely absurd.

It also really only mentions Prost and Jean-Marie Balestre. Barely a mention of Mansell, Piquet, Schumacher, Hill or even Berger. And even then it paints Prost and Balestre (in particular) as complete *******s.

The other problem is that it makes Senna look quite emotionally unstable and not a happy person at all, despite all his winning. A lot of inner-conflicts. I don't know, perhaps Senna really was like this??? I never started watching F1 until 1994.

I just remember thinking, if Schumacher or Vettel had just won the 1989 world championship they'd ecstatic, not continuing to whinge about another incident with Prost, which really didn't matter.

One thing I wonder after watching it though, is whether Senna would have retired after 1994 or not...
The focus of the movie isn't necessarily about his racing exploits, but more of an examination of what made him such an interesting and polarizing character. If you want a movie about his racing exploits, which was made a year earlier with much of the same footage and with a great soundtrack, I'd recommend Antti Kalhola's tribute movie.
Old 28 May 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2887115)   #84
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Senna whinges were far more interesting than Vettel or TGF saying "here we are. World champion. Unbelievable. A dream come true".

His rants were compelling in a way Alonso could never hope to achieve.
Whatever you think of him of as a driver, the man had massive charisma.
Old 30 May 2011, 08:02 (Ref:2887989)   #85
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug205 View Post
There is a chance it might play the big chains here in Aust. Universal are getting really behind the film and want it to play as widely as possible as they are seeing its a film that will play well with a wider audience. It is playing the Sydney and Melbourne Film Festivals over the next few months before its general release (no released date yet)
http://www.hoyts.com.au/Movies/details/Senna.aspx?cs=1

August 11th - one would assume selected cinemas?
Old 30 May 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2888124)   #86
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes, Senna was like this, and *surprise* that was not a problem ! And looking back, he's no different from us all.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 17:00 (Ref:2892300)   #87
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I never realised he was disqualified for cutting the chicane though - I assumed it was the push-start. Being disqualified for cutting a chicane is completely absurd.
Balestre could only get him for missing out part of the track, ie the escape road, the push start wouldn't have been acceptable because he was deemed to be in a dangerous position at the time, exit of 130R, the FIA knew they couldn't disqualify him for that...

Quote:
Balestre (in particular) as complete *******s.
He was, an autocratic French dictator who had out stayed his welcome by the 1990's

Quote:
The other problem is that it makes Senna look quite emotionally unstable and not a happy person at all, despite all his winning. A lot of inner-conflicts.
That's what made him fascinating. he displayed human qualities. We all have inner conflicts whatever level affects you in your life. How many people are unhappy in their job or relationship and yet endure because they lack confidence to move forwards? How many people drink heavily, smoke or over-eat because it replaces something in their life. Money doesn't buy happiness.
It's a poor comparison, but did you prefer DC at Mclaren or Red Bull? Today, I'd rather listen to Alonso and Hamilton than Vettel or Button. Theres an angst about them, as if their emotions are just being held..

Quote:
Again, I was living through this period and Senna was fighting the whole corrupt world of F1, Prost just happened to be the public figure.
It say something that all fans knew about at the time was Prost vs Senna and that the background of FIA, Balestre and "piranha club" was not privy to the public. In fact as seems to be the case with this film, it was all in Bernie's vaults.

Quote:
Difficult to say... he was speaking to intimates about driving for Williams and winning WDC's and then ending his career at Ferrari, "even if it was as slow as a Beetle".
Old 8 Jun 2011, 11:53 (Ref:2893373)   #88
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to see Senna at Newcastle Tyneside Cinema.

I'd heard people saying that you should go with people you can talk about the file with afterwards. I went with the wife and at the end of the file was thinking, "Should I be talking about something now?" But as we drove home the film started to sink in, and we were talking about it all the way home.

It's a film which raises as many questions as it answers.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2894781)   #89
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now I know why Hamilton likes to compare himself with Senna. They both feel like there is a conspiracy against them when they were not winning.