Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2011, 14:43 (Ref:2887491)   #1
mole2704
Rookie

mole2704 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel's rear wing open?

As title really, every shot of his car today from about the half way point onwards looked like the rear wing was slightly open, enough you could see the scenery behind. I cant say if it was open from the start or not, I just noticed it later on.

Does anyone know if his wing is transparent and therefore not a problem, or if indeed it was open? Then if so, is this allowed under this year’s rules? I’ve not read them yet but off to have a look.
Old 29 May 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2887496)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't notice anything odd.

The rear wing is made up of a couple of elements anyway. This gap gets bigger when they use DRS.
Old 29 May 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2887513)   #3
mole2704
Rookie

Yeah, but the gap i saw was throughout the whole lap, not just in DRS zone. Comparing to the two cars following him eat the end of the race they were "fully closed" where his you could clearly see a gap.

Not wanting to take anything away from him, he's a great driver.
Old 29 May 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2887519)   #4
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Maybe the Red Bull generates sufficient downforce by other means and they chose to run without maximum wing.
Old 29 May 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2887791)   #5
mole2704
Rookie

Just to let people see what I mean here are the official F1 photos.

Photo 16 is of the first lap and you can see the Ferrari through the gap in Vettel's wing. From what i have managed to find regarding rules on the rear wing(not actually found a full copy of them), there aren't any slots allowed other than when operating DRS.

Other peoples thoughts?
Old 29 May 2011, 21:32 (Ref:2887795)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
As a previous poster said, the rear wings consist of two elements one of which is movable the other fixed, Michael Schumacher had exactly the same gap
Old 29 May 2011, 21:34 (Ref:2887798)   #7
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure it would have been noticed in scruteneering. I personally didn't see anything wrong.
Old 29 May 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2887821)   #8
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noticed it took 2 people to carry Hamilton's replacement front wing assembly, what in there, concrete
Old 29 May 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2887834)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Noticed it took 2 people to carry Hamilton's replacement front wing assembly, what in there, concrete
I think running while trying to carry it, it would get rather heavy...
Old 29 May 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2887841)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Massa and Maldanado certainly thought so.

Can't say as I noticed anything weird going on with Vettel's rear wing, other than the fact that he never had to use DRS anyway. Except maybe on a back-marker or two.
Old 29 May 2011, 23:16 (Ref:2887867)   #11
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've carried a fibreglass bonnet from a Ginetta junior a short distance when it was dropped off after recovery in the paddock, but was needed in parc ferme to go with the rest of the car, now they're not that big a car, and I thought it would be lightweight, but it was suprisingly heavy, and the bulk, lack of handles etc more than anything else makes it awkward to move fast with, so I must say I had some sympathy for the McLaren guy carrying the front wing!
Old 30 May 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2887999)   #12
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Especially in High Downforce Monaco spec!
Old 30 May 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2888014)   #13
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, it is the heavily reinforced snowplow version just in case Massa "turns in on him" on purpose although Hamilton is right behind him and should be allowed to pass.
Old 30 May 2011, 08:41 (Ref:2888019)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Especially in High Downforce Monaco spec!
Indeed. You would have thought they'd have the sense to turn it upside down. But McLaren's strategical thinking hasn't been great of late, has it.
Old 30 May 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2888104)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Just what I thought, what a funny moment...
Old 31 May 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2888827)   #16
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If I was carrying something that cost more than my car * 4 (£15k?), I'd want the safety of a couple of people carrying it.....
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 31 May 2011, 16:08 (Ref:2888828)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2704 View Post

Photo 16 is of the first lap and you can see the Ferrari through the gap in Vettel's wing. From what i have managed to find regarding rules on the rear wing(not actually found a full copy of them), there aren't any slots allowed other than when operating DRS.

Other peoples thoughts?
There's a pic amongst that lot of Webber's car in front of a Williams and there is a slight gap but as has been said the wing is composed of two elements.
Old 31 May 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2888829)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2704 View Post

Other peoples thoughts?
There's a pic amongst that lot of Webber's car in front of a Williams and there is a slight gap but as Adam43 said the wing is composed of two elements.
Old 31 May 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2888859)   #19
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt there is a rule which dictates the minimum gap between the main aerofoil and the flap (technical term!) as if the gap is too large the whole wing will produce no more downforce with the flap closed than with it open - it will just produce more drag in either configuration. So, no point in having the flap in the first place, therefore no need for drag reduction.

The ideal gap (aerodynamically) is a certain percentage of the chord of the main wing that precedes it (in the order of 15% though a wind tunnel would dictate the actual gap used by any team). So, where the main wing has a short chord, the gap would be smaller than a wing with a longer chord.

In an analysis published elsewhere (Autosport?) different teams are using different main-wing chords and cambers and therefore different flap and optimum flap-gap configurations - as they are bound to by their individual exploration and conclusions about different design options.

My conclusion?: no valid conspiracy theory here
Old 31 May 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2888894)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If his DRS was stuck on, then he done a good job keeping it outta the walls!