Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Oct 2021, 07:48 (Ref:4077578)   #2226
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's a good job we don't have those cars from 81-82 with no suspension movement, those things were lethal. That is one thing F1 has definitely learnt from
Old 9 Oct 2021, 23:03 (Ref:4077675)   #2227
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Few posts missing the point of my comment in comment #2197 about the cars being less darty and more clumsy than previous F1 generations.

Absolutely not JUST about the weight, nor JUST about the wheelbase, nor JUST about the aero but rather a combination of all those things.

In medium-fast corners, where the aero is doing its thing best, the current cars are pretty impressive but in lower speed corners, on bumpier street circuits as a couple of examples, the current cars are clumsy in comparison to previous iterations, less darty, more cumbersome.

That was the point I was making - to me it's a great shame that F1 has lost that "edge" the cars always had in those situations and it would be great to see it back but alas I think it's unlikely.
Old 9 Oct 2021, 23:36 (Ref:4077679)   #2228
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The irony is, that it’s the slower corners where the fans usually get to see the cars close up because the faster corners either have limited viewing or no viewing for safety reasons.

Heavier cars + longer wheelbase + higher COG is why the cars look less darty and nimble than the older generation.

Also the teams moan about bodywork changes causing them “problems” is only a problem because they have basically shrunk the rear of the car down so much it’s like they are wearing a corset. There is ACRES of packaging room above the floor plan, it’s just the aerodynamics guys don’t want it used for that purpose as it would upset the airflow at the rear.
Old 9 Oct 2021, 23:53 (Ref:4077683)   #2229
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The irony is, that it’s the slower corners where the fans usually get to see the cars close up because the faster corners either have limited viewing or no viewing for safety reasons.
This for me. Not a fan of sitting along a straight. Much prefer the entry or exits of corners to see the cars move around a bit. Give me a good right to left to right chicane and really get to see these cars move around.

though undecided if i like or dislike whether or not these current F1 cars can attack theae complexes at full throttle or not.

To see how agile these cars are at speed is quite something. That they are on rails makea it more impressive.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 00:19 (Ref:4077692)   #2230
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
That they are on rails makes it more impressive.
That is exactly what a lot fans dislike, they want to see a driver absolutely on the edge of control and the car moving all over the place.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 00:33 (Ref:4077694)   #2231
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Few posts missing the point of my comment in comment #2197 about the cars being less darty and more clumsy than previous F1 generations.

Absolutely not JUST about the weight, nor JUST about the wheelbase, nor JUST about the aero but rather a combination of all those things.

In medium-fast corners, where the aero is doing its thing best, the current cars are pretty impressive but in lower speed corners, on bumpier street circuits as a couple of examples, the current cars are clumsy in comparison to previous iterations, less darty, more cumbersome.

That was the point I was making - to me it's a great shame that F1 has lost that "edge" the cars always had in those situations and it would be great to see it back but alas I think it's unlikely.
Unfortunately you are right, less dependence on aero is the only way to get back to that. How far back was it when you last saw the sort of car behaviour you describe? When was the last time you saw a car get out of shape under brakes because there was a car beside trying to out brake him? If an engineer saw that happening he would instantly spend any amount of money to make sure that car stayed straight. I think it was Ross Brawn who said that F1 has become an engineering wankfest and not a sporting contest as it once was. Also it must be said that some of the common problems we as fans see are not what they think they are and the whole lot spirals into the realms of urban myths. Mans pursuit of perfection has ensured F1 has gone down this path.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 13:42 (Ref:4077787)   #2232
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

That's what I thought, it's a combination of all those things which is why I asked, wouldn't the long wheelbase also be a factor, as well as the weight?
Old 10 Oct 2021, 22:33 (Ref:4077912)   #2233
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How to fix F1 - give us tyres that mean some will try and go a full race on one set.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 05:44 (Ref:4077950)   #2234
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's what I thought, it's a combination of all those things which is why I asked, wouldn't the long wheelbase also be a factor, as well as the weight?
Why is the static weight a factor when the aero loaded race weight is so large?
Old 11 Oct 2021, 09:08 (Ref:4077980)   #2235
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post

The term weight is being used here instead of mass.
Downforce is a force not a unit of weight
The static weight becomes dynamic (or Kinetic force) when the car is in motion and is tending to keep pushing the car in an existing direction.
Downforce provides extra traction to allow other forces to be used to overcome that Kinetic force.
Ipso facto Aero generated downforce actually is the reason that F1 cars have the ability to translate motive power into acceleration, braking into deceleration or steering forces into cornering performance at high g levels.
But then it,s just about eighty years since I did high school physics
Old 11 Oct 2021, 09:32 (Ref:4077987)   #2236
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's a tricky subject. Personally I don't think weight and mass is too much of a factor on the racing as the downforce. But this has been an interesting subject nonetheless. Learn something new all the time.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 16:26 (Ref:4078052)   #2237
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Weight, or more accurately mass, affects the movement of the car on all axes: vertical, longitudinal and lateral. Downforce/lift, is a downwards force which is produced by aero and allows the car to travel faster by increasing the vertical force on the tires, thus creating more grip. The mass is a factor because increasing the mass gives you extra "push" on the tires, but it also creates slower acceleration, longer braking distances and slower cornering.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 17:21 (Ref:4078070)   #2238
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, it is the mass that you have to accelerate (faster, braking, or change of direction).
Old 11 Oct 2021, 21:45 (Ref:4078133)   #2239
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Yes, it is the mass that you have to accelerate (faster, braking, or change of direction).
That's Jochen for you!
Old 12 Oct 2021, 00:22 (Ref:4078137)   #2240
Casper
Veteran

80 year old physics classes aside the term "weight" is the simplist term to describe the effect of the load that is added to the tyre contact patch which in turn takes away the desired spectacle from the spectator POV for a lot of us. Engineering in F1 has actively sought to prevent the car moving about as in times past and it ain't going to come back if engineers can prevent it.
Old 12 Oct 2021, 00:42 (Ref:4078141)   #2241
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
That's Jochen for you!
Old 12 Oct 2021, 00:49 (Ref:4078143)   #2242
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
80 year old physics classes aside the term "weight" is the simplist term to describe the effect of the load that is added to the tyre contact patch which in turn takes away the desired spectacle from the spectator POV for a lot of us. Engineering in F1 has actively sought to prevent the car moving about as in times past and it ain't going to come back if engineers can prevent it.
The weight is the force of gravity on the mass. The grip of the tyres is aided by this force, and as you say, not as important as the additional downforce from aero nowadays.

The mass is what you have to move around. The greater the mass the more effort it is to make it accelerate (in any direction).

(All as you know )
Old 14 Oct 2021, 10:50 (Ref:4078415)   #2243
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The weight is the force of gravity on the mass. The grip of the tyres is aided by this force, and as you say, not as important as the additional downforce from aero nowadays.

The mass is what you have to move around. The greater the mass the more effort it is to make it accelerate (in any direction).

(All as you know )
...and the greater the downforce needed to stick it to the track to counteract the amount of centrifugal force generated by said mass going around a corner.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 11:47 (Ref:4078419)   #2244
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The centripetal force of the tyres increases with weight. In a simple model this force is linear to the weight through the friction of the tyres. The force required to accelerate the car round the corner is also linear to mass. So, the mass is irrelevant. This is the case for a vehicle without downforce.

In a similar way the mass of a body does not effect how quickly it orbits around the sun. A pea or the Earth orbit’s the sun in one year if both 1 Astronomical Unit from the Sun.

If you throw in downforce then the perfect balance between the in the physics which means mass is irrelevant doesn’t hold. A car with downforce does have a dependency with mass. I find this dynamic quite interesting.

Also tyres friction coefficient isn’t necessarily linear to mass.

I’ve taken Stephen Hawkins’ advice and tried to wire without using an equation!
Old 15 Oct 2021, 07:39 (Ref:4078548)   #2245
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The future

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motors...920a36727a14f3
Old 15 Oct 2021, 11:59 (Ref:4078578)   #2246
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
I'm not sure that this article actually says anything really, does it?
Old 15 Oct 2021, 12:12 (Ref:4078579)   #2247
S griffin
Veteran

It’s just Vettel’s views that’s all. Not sure how accurate he is, but it shows once again how big a heart the guy has. But nothing really more than that
Old 15 Oct 2021, 23:32 (Ref:4078655)   #2248
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Bang on here: other than the exciting bit.

“But the current regulations, I think they‘re very exciting, the (hybrid) engine is super efficient, but it’s useless.
Old 16 Oct 2021, 11:26 (Ref:4078695)   #2249
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Bang on here: other than the exciting bit.

“But the current regulations, I think they‘re very exciting, the (hybrid) engine is super efficient, but it’s useless.
That's an interesting quote from Vettel! Super efficient but useless!!

Are the engines really as much use as a glass hammer or an ashtray on a motorbike?
Old 16 Oct 2021, 17:20 (Ref:4078741)   #2250
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
That's an interesting quote from Vettel! Super efficient but useless!!

Are the engines really as much use as a glass hammer or an ashtray on a motorbike?

He goes on to say: “It’s not going to be an engine formula that you will buy on the road in two years when you decide to buy a new car, for example.''