Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Mar 2004, 13:26 (Ref:900822)   #1
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota Rebuild

In the light of McLaren taking the best part of a season and a half to get any innovation working (or have they), what do you think to the proposed radical revamp of the Toyota chassis?

On the basis of Melbourne they have reliability but clearly they can't compete on speed with, for example, BAR who have to be in their sights.

What d'ya reckon?

How quickly can such radical changes be made?

Genuine comments suggest the engine is very nice, so if they fix the 'wheels' ...

- I'd stick my neck out and say regular points by end of this season!
- New driver/s by next.
- A podium (maybe) by mid-2005.

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 10 Mar 2004 at 13:27.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 14:20 (Ref:900894)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Toyota need to start scoring on a regular basis pretty soon - the amount of money they've invested has so far had very little return. I think this season will be another struggle for them (although they should improve throughout the year) - next season should see a jump in performance if Mike Gascoyne can weave his magic.

I can't see them retaining Panis for next year (Da Matta I think will stay) - Ralf or Coulthard for the 'spare' seat.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 14:26 (Ref:900899)   #3
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does Mike say?

New drivers?
Old 10 Mar 2004, 14:58 (Ref:900935)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They have got a long way to go - this comment by Gascoyne is interesting:

"We've already got several new parts for Malaysia and there will be a total repackaging of the car in time for Imola," Technical Director Mike Gascoyne told Reuters. "We haven't concentrated enough on getting the centre of gravity low enough in this car and thats what we are addressing primarily."

To have neglected such a fundamental area as centre of gravity (when every other modern design has gone to rather extreme lengths to maximise that factor) is rather silly it seems to me. However, ascoyne is definitey the man to get them straight, and they certainly have the finance to do it.

Regular points might be asking a bit much this year, because the BAR and Renault are so strong. Even a little extra relibility would have seen BAR comfortably ahead of Toyota, but with their new found speed Toyota will struggle to beat them.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 17:21 (Ref:901052)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems like Mike just tore the car apart and realised it is actually nothing more than an old Minardi chassis souped up with spare bits from Ferrari/Williams trash bin.

I've always had a doubt that decent the ex-Minardi designer may be, he isn't exactly top-class in the mould of Bryne, and hence, the Toyota is nothing more than an average car which honestly, doesnt put to good use Toyota's budget. Hopefully, Mike could put the team back on track.

Last edited by Gt_R; 10 Mar 2004 at 17:23.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 19:05 (Ref:901150)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They're bringing out a B-spec car for Silverstone to add to Glens list.

Could this be a repeat of the season Benetton had in 2001? Appalling start but strong second half thanks to Gascoyne chassis.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 19:28 (Ref:901177)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I liked the phrase 'Gustav Brunner is focused on the 2005 car' - is that corporate speak for about to get the push , I wonder.....
Old 10 Mar 2004, 19:29 (Ref:901178)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's just a polite way of saying "Let somebody competent to do the job instead"
Old 10 Mar 2004, 19:31 (Ref:901181)   #9
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
knowlesy I'm with you.I think Mike has pulled the car to bits and turned to the design team and said "What where you thinking?"Knowing Mike you will see this car being played with but not performing very well till late in the season.He will try different things to see what he can do but look out next year because I have yet to see a Gascoyne lemon.The fact that he is there at Toyota will bring Ralf without much fuss.

The Grumpy1
Old 10 Mar 2004, 20:56 (Ref:901275)   #10
Howard G
Rookie

England
Hertfordshire
Howard G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Toyota will improve over the course of the year but then so will pretty much all the rest of the teams
At the end of the day as already mentioned in earlier posts there is only so much that can be done over the year if the basics of the car are not right then it's going to have to wait until next year before Gascoyne's input is fully seen
Old 10 Mar 2004, 20:58 (Ref:901281)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we can be pretty sure Mike will get things turned round.

His time at Jordan, Benetton and Renault always proved productive.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 22:27 (Ref:901380)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
One could say the same about Adrian Newey until recently!
Old 10 Mar 2004, 23:07 (Ref:901422)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Adrian will get it sorted too.

His problem is the rubbish engine - at least Gascogyne doesn't have to worry about that.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 00:57 (Ref:901485)   #14
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen

"We've already got several new parts for Malaysia and there will be a total repackaging of the car in time for Imola," Technical Director Mike Gascoyne told Reuters. "We haven't concentrated enough on getting the centre of gravity low enough in this car and thats what we are addressing primarily."
Translation: whoever designed this thing doesnt know the first thing about designing a Formula 1 car

When he was first at Jordan he famously told the designer of the current car (cant remember who) that the geometry of the rear was just plain wrong. He then proceeded to explain it with pictures! He was right, had it sorted by mid season.

Last edited by bosch!; 11 Mar 2004 at 00:58.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 02:39 (Ref:901517)   #15
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bosch!
When he was first at Jordan he famously told the designer of the current car (cant remember who) that the geometry of the rear was just plain wrong. He then proceeded to explain it with pictures! He was right, had it sorted by mid season.
I would LOVE to know who that was!!
It wouldn't be gary anderson surely?
Old 11 Mar 2004, 05:09 (Ref:901578)   #16
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we all knew a spec B would happen. The car is a donkey right now. I dont see any evidence of a strong motor nor a good chassis. So many people were saying BAR would be nowhere and that Toyota would mop the floor with them. Funny how things change over the space of one race. Nah, Honda will be nowhere, BAR will suffer because of them. Well, we see where the pace of the cars are. As many also suggested that it was the motor that would be their weakness. No, that too is incorrect. They have issues with tire wear. Now, that was only one race and both cars could blow up on the starting grid in Malaysia. Honda already has upgraded parts for the motor!!

Toyota, with the "championship winning motor" and the "most powerful motor on the grid" could not even beat Jordan. I am sure they will improve. I am just glad that all the people that discounted BAR Honda and thought they would never be anywhere; "they are running light", "they have and illegal car"... now have to give them a second thought. Even Mark Webber and RS had to put in their "expert opinions" RS could not even pass JB, last year that would have been easy.

I am happy that even Honda said they were focused on those infront of them not those behind. So the Toyota miracle will be put off for now.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 09:52 (Ref:901741)   #17
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In one recent article it was stated that the chassis needed to be 'rehomologated'.

Any bright chums out there who didn't think that had something to do with sterlising milk and know what that involves?
Old 11 Mar 2004, 11:34 (Ref:901820)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My suspicion is that, if they start ot get somewhere with the Imola improvements, they won't worry so much about thsi year, and will concentrate on 2005. Brunner and Gascoyne should be able to get it right between them though.

Having the centre of gravity too high is a major problem, and it could be that the wrong components are heavy (perhaps the engine, which may be delivering power at a price - although they've had 2 good showings at Monaco)
Old 11 Mar 2004, 11:34 (Ref:901821)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't be too happy, neilap - Toyota will get there soon enough and are very likely to become strong just at the wrong moment for BAR/Honda. Next year will be the test, wth Gascoyne's influence having enough time to bear fruit.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 15:41 (Ref:902069)   #20
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way this has all happened shows that there are definite improvements that can be made to the toyota.That's promising for them at least.It looks like Gazza will dramatically help in chanelling their effort in the right direction.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 15:55 (Ref:902085)   #21
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know anyone who works for one of these teams? I still think they're all missing a huge way to lower the COG. It's not really obvious, but I'm just about certain you could do it and it's legal.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 16:40 (Ref:902120)   #22
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
In one recent article it was stated that the chassis needed to be 'rehomologated'.

Any bright chums out there who didn't think that had something to do with sterlising milk and know what that involves?
I would guess that this means they are changing the car to such an extent that it will have to re-take the crash tests etc but I could be wrong, it may just be that the old one has curdled.