Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Dec 2003, 10:46 (Ref:821754)   #1
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ingall speaks to M News

After reading the feature interview with Russell Ingall in M News No. 273 I have to agree with everything he says, but I still wish things hadn't ended the way they did. It's patently clear that Ingall's racing upbringing in European FF was the automotive equivalent of The Bronx and that he's a better driver for it. I hope he does well next year. His views on the level of sanitisation in racing and it's effects both desirable and undesirable have been put forward in many interviews with him over the years but you can see his point. The shackles can be loosened and the racing will be naturally hard and tough which is what we want to see. EC could have been an aberration because if the landscape were different and drivers were not afraid to rub and scrape, then the agro factor wouldn't rise to fever pitch and get ugly.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 28 Dec 2003, 10:53 (Ref:821757)   #2
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You only have to blame Ch.10 and it's commentators for the hysteria over the Ingall/Skaife incident.
Old 28 Dec 2003, 11:04 (Ref:821758)   #3
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that Ingall did not have a TV interview after the race like Skaife did, but then Ingall still had four wheels on his wagon...

Hysteria is probably a good summation of the whole event but it was spectacular and intriguing arguably only because of the partcipants and their high profiles. If it had happened down the field it wouldn't have grown legs and run for weeks and so many wouldn't have taken sides.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 28 Dec 2003, 11:09 (Ref:821759)   #4
SDR41A
Rookie

SDR41A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, the media should be reporting the facts and not giving "THEIR" opinions on a lot of matters and as a result misleading alot of the General Public who are not up to speed on the basis of fully understanding the nature of the sport.
Old 28 Dec 2003, 21:36 (Ref:821991)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You assume of course that the media is bias and paradigm-free, is in possession of all the facts, and has the faculties to relate those facts to the world in an insightful and meaningful way

I am just guessing here, but I suspect Rusty wasnt exactly in the mood for an interview after the race... he was a little sheepish, a little aggro after the race and may have said something he shouldnt have about his archnemesis...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 29 Dec 2003, 09:15 (Ref:822408)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
channel 10/hysteria - ambrose was on his way to a dominant win and championship..... i cant believe channel 10 can cause such outrage/media hype over a motoracing incident - hopefully they can do it with every race next year !!!!
Old 29 Dec 2003, 09:25 (Ref:822423)   #7
pigsy
Rookie

pigsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only hysteria over this whole incident came from Skaife. As Russ said in his MNews interview he looks after such matters privately with the participants or on the race track.
Now the Skaifes on the board I'm guessing all you'll have to do next year is sneeze on the guy to get a penalty.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 09:30 (Ref:822429)   #8
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
imagine skaify walking into the minardi pits and putting his hand on paul stoddart's shoulder - sorry, i am confused.....
Old 29 Dec 2003, 10:14 (Ref:822455)   #9
TerryK
Racer

TerryK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gomick
channel 10/hysteria - ambrose was on his way to a dominant win and championship..... i cant believe channel 10 can cause such outrage/media hype over a motoracing incident - hopefully they can do it with every race next year !!!!
Ten seem to be able to use trial by media, they can convict by comment & have bias towards HRT it seems.

Perhaps they should keep their mouths shut...anyone agree?
Old 29 Dec 2003, 10:24 (Ref:822457)   #10
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting, after reading the interview I established a Neutral stance to it all - I mean why bother arguing?

But still its interesting how the interview pans out (its a good read)
quote: "I've been on the wrong end of incidents and one that springs to mind as being relebant (Because I know you're going to get around to Eastern Creek)..."

hahaha, he knew it was coming
Old 29 Dec 2003, 12:07 (Ref:822520)   #11
]-[ITMAN
Rookie

]-[ITMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone remember Ambroses interview after being turned around on the main straight during the Clipsal 500 by Kelly?

Very cool, very calm and as professional as you can get... and it was a very big accident. The Ten commentators even remarked that he was very calm about the whole deal too.

Ambrose is a class act, that's for sure.

While I'm going back in time here, anyone remember when Allan Jones turned Skaife around at Simmons Plains back in the early 90's, and when 7 crossed back from commercial break they had Skaife (pointing at Jones), "and I'm going to *&%*% turn you ^%%#%# around the next %@#$# chance I get!"

Very funny, two drivers, two very different reactions.

Drivers should start out the year with 100 points on their racing licence for the series. Turn someone around in a blatent move, dock yourself 10 points. As the series goes on, those with a few points left up their selves for the last few rounds can afford a bit of biffo.

Those who are down to 0, get a drive through for anything they do... It might work.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 12:24 (Ref:822527)   #12
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sound like the AAsA points system, instead of the CAMS monetary fine system!
Old 30 Dec 2003, 01:02 (Ref:823096)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You need to remember that 10 have financial interest in all of this. Hence V8 Superstars etc. More exposure means more ratings means more commercial revenue.

These guys are not reporting the events as journalists - they are in the entertainment industry - it is the automotive equivalent of the World Wrestling Federation.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 01:06 (Ref:823100)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thats a good point AMoffat... so we shouldnt be surprised that #10 the Hovel of Motorsport chooses to ignore controversy about team ownership because they dont think the viewing audience is clever enough to understand it properly
Old 30 Dec 2003, 01:10 (Ref:823106)   #15
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or it involved people close to #10.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 01:12 (Ref:823108)   #16
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's more to that!

They want to present to all of us, the average (or not so average) punters the wholesomeness of the product. And the excitement of the best touring car series blah blah blah...

Showing any warts any all stories on internal problems with the way the series is structured would be a definite no no. As it is contradictory to the above goal.

And they are financial plays in this.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 01:16 (Ref:823110)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I know...

...but in some ways it would make sense to have another show inside the #10 motorsport network to go chasing the hard stories.. not just for the hardcore fan, but to get inside the sport a lot more.

RPM was supposed to be that vehicle but it has been dumbed down unfortunately, and finance/politics influences the programming

Kind of like an independent 60 minutes, but about motorsport in Australia
Old 30 Dec 2003, 01:16 (Ref:823112)   #18
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Thats a good point AMoffat... so we shouldnt be surprised that #10 the Hovel of Motorsport chooses to ignore controversy about team ownership because they dont think the viewing audience is clever enough to understand it properly
You would think that Holden thought not only the fans but the racing industry as a whole were not clever enough to understand it properly, after trying to retain the ownership once they had got it in the first place, "..... Oh we thought we'd better cheat before anyone else does......"

Now I know there is a lot more to it than that and I guess more than a few people were concerned for their employment, but the bottom line is Holden broke the rules, and has there been a satisfying explaination for the handover of ownership.

Im sure the new board will take care of it, oh wait, who is on it again? Give me a break!
Old 30 Dec 2003, 01:23 (Ref:823117)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Actually the new board will more likely fix it than the old board. There were serious paradigm issues bordering on vendetta with the previous board which hopefully will now end up in the bin, and they can start fresh.

The only thing Holden ever did outside the TEGA rules as they stood at the time was to rescue the franchise from an insolvent entity, and hang onto it until the structure was in place to onsell/onlease it to someone else.

But the way TEGA was telling it at the time, Holden were doing all sorts of things wrong... but despite burning up $1m of TEGA's bank balance, they got nowhere.

Having said that, not once on #10 have I seen a profile of the ownership problems Holden were having, other than when MS took control of the SHRT operation. Ignorance by closing one's eyes doesnt make the problem go away does it?
Old 30 Dec 2003, 01:25 (Ref:823119)   #20
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I am just guessing here, but I suspect Rusty wasnt exactly in the mood for an interview after the race... he was a little sheepish, a little aggro after the race and may have said something he shouldnt have about his archnemesis...
NO driver should be interviewed directly after an incident - as an example, look at Murphy from Ph Island last year - the camera caught him mid way through a spill of words - which, when broadcast the way it was, was totally out of context with what he was saying...
Old 30 Dec 2003, 01:45 (Ref:823131)   #21
dangeradam
Rookie

dangeradam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Follow the money trail, what pays for free to air TV?

Advertising.

Channel 10 aren't gonna stick it up Holden's number one factory (opps did i say that) backed team when they get a substantial amount of advertising $$$ from them, being Holden. Don't bite then hand that feeds you.

SBR don't have the same amount of Advertising dollars flowing ten's way.

Bias in the media is bought and sold with advertising dollars.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 04:25 (Ref:823220)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the same hand, a lot of officials at race meetings are trained not to talk to the media during a race meeting. So what happens when something controversial happens in the V8s? They run up to the officials with a microphone... not quite cricket in my book... Especially in some situations, say when someone winds up in hospital or worse, all information going out is supposed to go through the proper avenues, but that doesn't always happen either...
Old 30 Dec 2003, 04:49 (Ref:823231)   #23
Hobo high
Racer

Hobo high should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by dangeradam
Follow the money trail, what pays for free to air TV?

Advertising.

Channel 10 aren't gonna stick it up Holden's number one factory (opps did i say that) backed team when they get a substantial amount of advertising $$$ from them, being Holden. Don't bite then hand that feeds you.

SBR don't have the same amount of Advertising dollars flowing ten's way.

Bias in the media is bought and sold with advertising dollars.
Yes and the more money and greed that is generated by the series , will see more rubbish , like the ownership cover up by channel 10 and HSV/HRT /HOLDEN .You only have to see the corporate take over at bathurst with the corporate marques everywhere and snobs drinking chardonay and eating cavior.Is this what the supercars series is geared towards - corporate ******s and big business .What about the average punter who has line up for toilets and filthey greasey food .WE the fans are treated like utter fools by tony cochrane and his channel 10 cronnies.If it wasn't for the biff and barge at eastern creek , we would have only heard about the pitifull facilities once again - the only thing it is known for .Instead we where handed some great action to make up for it .Thanks ingal your a legend in my books .
Old 30 Dec 2003, 05:36 (Ref:823264)   #24
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
On the same hand, a lot of officials at race meetings are trained not to talk to the media during a race meeting. So what happens when something controversial happens in the V8s? They run up to the officials with a microphone... not quite cricket in my book... Especially in some situations, say when someone winds up in hospital or worse, all information going out is supposed to go through the proper avenues, but that doesn't always happen either...
No - they are TOLD not to talk to the media - trained and being told are two entirely different concepts.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 06:45 (Ref:823307)   #25
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may be wrong, but I thought Ford tipped in more money at the 10 coverage than what Holden do.

Didn't Ford take over Holden's banner competition at Bathurst as well as increasing their involvement when Polities took over.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006