Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Aug 2023, 14:43 (Ref:4170946)   #151
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Nice to hear form you Rowbo. The teams deserve a lot of credit for the way they prepare the cars in the series. Look at how far your team has come

I didn't envy de Leon, he was thrown in the deep end and considering what Bobby has done with that car, the pressure would have been on
Old 1 Aug 2023, 15:19 (Ref:4170953)   #152
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowbo01 View Post
Wasn't going to bite, but well, you only live once...

Go on, enlighten me? Why would you not expect me to be up with the other two?

Am I being thick?
I think the point is:

Sutton has shown himself to be on a different level from pretty much every other driver on the grid. Doesn't matter what car he's in, he's quick and right at the very front.

Cammish's reputation isn't quite as stong, but he's been a lap away from being BTCC champion and has won lots of junior formula. That he's quick isn't in doubt to many people.

So having those two right at the forefront is of little surprise to anyone and not really an indicator of there being a car advantage.

However it's your performance that has jumped. You've scored almost as many points after six rounds this year as you did the entirity of last season. The discussion to be had is is that down to improvement in your performance, the fact that the Ford is a much quicker car, or a bit of both?
Old 1 Aug 2023, 16:06 (Ref:4170961)   #153
Rowbo01
Rookie

Rowbo01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
I think the point is:

Sutton has shown himself to be on a different level from pretty much every other driver on the grid. Doesn't matter what car he's in, he's quick and right at the very front.

Cammish's reputation isn't quite as stong, but he's been a lap away from being BTCC champion and has won lots of junior formula. That he's quick isn't in doubt to many people.

So having those two right at the forefront is of little surprise to anyone and not really an indicator of there being a car advantage.

However it's your performance that has jumped. You've scored almost as many points after six rounds this year as you did the entirity of last season. The discussion to be had is is that down to improvement in your performance, the fact that the Ford is a much quicker car, or a bit of both?
Ash and Dan are both incredible drivers. Fact.

In terms of the remaining comments the experienced BTCC fan in this chat I would expect to understand that:

a) You can't compare year to year with drivers, For example saying Jack Goff forgot how to drive when he jumped out of the Honda... He didn't.

b) We had a **** poor year last year no doubt, for whatever reason, but in 2021, it was semi successful. Now my results are showing more promise, doesn't mean I have dramatically jumped in talent or skillset. Hopefully we can always learn new things and continue to progress for sure, but the biggest difference for me is having the tools and information around me to be able to forget about everything else and just drive the thing.

c) We do have a car advantage. We have worked very hard over the winter. Ash and myself spent MANY laps trying crazy set-up combinations whilst testing to make sure no stone went unturned. Our Ford Focus is Excellent at the moment.

There are MANY drivers on this grid that are far more talented than the results show. I CANNOT emphasise enough how important getting EVERY element right is. You can't just simply be a talent and win in BTCC. You need the whole package.

Ash and I are very close, Ash was very clever and very talented in pulling the RIGHT people in with him early, and that has helped drive his success.

I am pleased to say that finally I feel like I have the right people around me, but it is year 1 with those people and things take time.

I could of course be talking rubbish.

But I doubt it.
Old 2 Aug 2023, 09:50 (Ref:4171034)   #154
DaviePHD
Rookie

DaviePHD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowbo01 View Post
Ash and Dan are both incredible drivers. Fact.

In terms of the remaining comments the experienced BTCC fan in this chat I would expect to understand that:

a) You can't compare year to year with drivers, For example saying Jack Goff forgot how to drive when he jumped out of the Honda... He didn't.

b) We had a **** poor year last year no doubt, for whatever reason, but in 2021, it was semi successful. Now my results are showing more promise, doesn't mean I have dramatically jumped in talent or skillset. Hopefully we can always learn new things and continue to progress for sure, but the biggest difference for me is having the tools and information around me to be able to forget about everything else and just drive the thing.

c) We do have a car advantage. We have worked very hard over the winter. Ash and myself spent MANY laps trying crazy set-up combinations whilst testing to make sure no stone went unturned. Our Ford Focus is Excellent at the moment.

There are MANY drivers on this grid that are far more talented than the results show. I CANNOT emphasise enough how important getting EVERY element right is. You can't just simply be a talent and win in BTCC. You need the whole package.

Ash and I are very close, Ash was very clever and very talented in pulling the RIGHT people in with him early, and that has helped drive his success.

I am pleased to say that finally I feel like I have the right people around me, but it is year 1 with those people and things take time.

I could of course be talking rubbish.

But I doubt it.
Dan, you're doing great, anyone who runs at the sharp end of such a great race series as the BTCC is doing great.

Though I've watched motorsport for years I probably know just about as much about being a driver as someone who has never watched it.

I also suspect that EVERYONE on that grid is light years ahead in terms of driving talent and skill than the various commenters on here.

Feel free not to answer this, but who do you think is the most under-rated driver on the current BTCC grid?

Cheers.
Old 2 Aug 2023, 11:51 (Ref:4171042)   #155
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Are the nasty burgers at Croft still about half the price of the Brands Hatch ones?
Old 3 Aug 2023, 09:03 (Ref:4171151)   #156
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFSM View Post
Was getting bored of F1 with Verstappen's dominance, and was looking forard to BTCC this weekend. Missed quali due to looking after pets for holidaying family member, and logged on to find a NAPA 1-2-3!

Groan.
Just to put this into context.

In F1, the maximum points available on a typical weekend is 26. The current championship leader has averaged 26.17 points per meeting so far.

In BTCC, the maximum points available on a typical weekend is 67. The current championship leader has averaged 43 points per meeting so far.
Old 3 Aug 2023, 09:45 (Ref:4171164)   #157
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Just to put this into context.

In F1, the maximum points available on a typical weekend is 26. The current championship leader has averaged 26.17 points per meeting so far.
There's the basis of a good quiz question right there LOL!
Old 3 Aug 2023, 12:30 (Ref:4171189)   #158
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure many would get it though....
Old 3 Aug 2023, 16:55 (Ref:4171223)   #159
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The comment about average points score got me thinking.
Sutton is on 258, Ingram is on 252. Both have scored more points at this point in the season (i.e. after round 6) than any other driver has scored since 2014. Just for reference, in 2014, Turkington was on 279 and Shedden on 256.

In terms of the gap between 1st and 2nd, again after round 6.
2021 Sutton 30 points ahead of Ingram
2019 Turkington 46 points ahead of Jordan
2015 Plato 16 points ahead of Turkington
2014 Turkington 23 points ahead of Shedden
Every other years has been 6 points or less