Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

View Poll Results: Should racers attend Marshals' Track Days?
No. 9 34.62%
Yes, any racer with passenger seat(s). 7 26.92%
Yes, invited racers only. 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2822790)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Poll - Racers at Marshals' Track Days?

All,
Arising from the Marshals' Track Day thread:
Would you want racers to attend Marshals' Track Days, to offer fast laps?

Of course, it all depends on the generosity of MSV and Johnathan Palmer, but why not offer your opinion?
John

Poll
1/ No.
2/ Yes, any racer with passenger seat(s).
3/ Yes, invited racers only.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2822806)   #2
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi John. It was brilliant when the marshals track days were just for marshals. I had a blast sitting alongside Fiona Leggate, Don Kettleboro, Jonathan Blake, & of course, our Cadwell stalwart, Colin Stubbs. However, in recent years, our track days have become merged with MSVR days (at least the Cadwell ones have). Hence any passengers and additional drivers have to be paid for, in line with all other customers. The only difference when booking the day, is that we put our MSA licence numbers on the booking form, whereby the total payable = £00. Sadly the days of hot laps seem to be over. That said, I still thoroughly enjoy the days. Driving our new Midget round the best circuit in the country was awesome, and I am eternally grateful to Jonathan Palmer & his team for giving us the days each year! BTW, If you are doing a track day, I'll be first in the queue for a passenger ride!!
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2822822)   #3
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clearly there is an agenda to this thread and the poll...let's just remember that track days for marshals are a "perk" of the job. Let's also remember that if they become too much aggro to run then they are probably not going to happen!

I'm off to read the threads to see if I can work out what the agenda is but please remember to play nicely in a public forum
Old 30 Jan 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2822873)   #4
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I took up marshalling when I quit racing but have not taken up the opportunity to do any marshals track days. The main reason being that having sold my race car I haven't got anything I would want to take on track.

If I did do a marshals track day, would I be considered "a racer"? As a marshal I would clearly be entitled to attend. So I take the view that they should be for marshals only.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2822936)   #5
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've not taken up the opportunity so far, although tempted ....
My concerns would be more related to the day containing non marshal folk padding out the track day and spoiling things.

I'd like to think that marshals might have a little more respect for their fellow drivers - especially if they usually marshal together. Any marshals who hold race licences and offer pax rides to fellow marshals sound good to me.

I've seen too many "normal" track days spoilt by wanna-be racers that I suspect would want to show off to marshals. This (lack of?) mind set really doesn't sit well with a bunch of mates enjoying a low key fun day out using their daily driver cars.

Commercially, I can quite understand if MSVR want to recoup some of the costs (medics and weekday staff marshals / track support) by selling space to paying punters though.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2822951)   #6
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Message deleted - I wrote something then realised I had got the wrong end of the stick......doh!!

Anyhow in answer to HairyDJ -

Nina and I have done lots of trackdays - two of which have been "marshals" ones (which nowadays seem to be £0 places on a normal trackday. They work out fine and we are eternally grateful to Dr Palmer for them).

As yet we have not had any problems with other drivers - either racers or ordinary guys along for the fun. Most people are well behaved 99.9% of the time. The only minor issue last Brands day was Nina was tapped up the backside (car, not her!!) at Druids and punted into a spin. We are not sure by what (hope he hasn't got any damage). We suffered some very minor cosmetic damage to the bumper which a rattle can from B&Q sorted. However this is the ONLY problem we have ever had, I think this is highly unusual anyway, and it was really minor. (Perhaps more of an issue in a road going car though?)

Nina is a race driver as well as a marshal and is well aware that people attend trackdays for fun. As a marshal she is well aware of safety. We never time the laps and indeed she doesn't get near race speed on a trackday - perhaps 3 to 5 secs off at Brands at a guess. Racign is saved for racedays! We are both always careful to yield to faster stuff coming through, and never overtake unless invited to do so or it is clearly safe - main reason being we don't want to crunch our race car which I have spent many hours workign on - and we would both be mortified if we hurt someone or damaged someone elses property - either a car - or track side fittings.

DJ - When you do eventually track your beast be sure to invite Nina and I along!!

Last edited by Terrible-Tones; 30 Jan 2011 at 22:53. Reason: I'm an idiot!
Old 31 Jan 2011, 11:47 (Ref:2823164)   #7
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
I enjoyed the first (exclusively) marshals track day, the second less so as it seemed to me that some present were not marshals, since at the first one I recognised just about everybody, but by the second it was about 1 in 4.
At the same time it seemed there were some participants driving considerably more aggresively, this perhaps being denoted by the race/trackday prepped cars in evidence. By the 3rd one it became apparent that it was not a marshals day, but a regular track day with free places for marshals. I watched, but did not participate.

Still an excellent reward for our assistance at MSVR circuits, but it's now something I personally have no wish to participate in. For those happy to enjoy our race tracks with those T&Cs, may they carry on enjoying them for many years.
So, no vote from me - call it a spoiled ballot paper.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2823188)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
As a rule Marshals track days are merged with Novice track days so that the level of driving ability is as close as possible.

During the first year or two lots of racers offered to come along and give marshals 'hot laps', something that was very well received but it did impact on the amount of track time available to marshals towards the end, add to this the days are usually at a time of year when the daylight hours are limited and you can see the problem.

There is another issue of which the majority of you are unaware; at their inception all applications to attend from Marshals had to pass through me, I then sorted out who was going to which circuit, whether they were in fact marshals, and arranged the 'hot laps' with MSV. For at least the past 2 years MSV have very kindly taken over the registration and running of the events, something that has taken a load off my plate, and registrations are now done by applying on-line. This works extremely well and the guys at MSV do everything for us, all we have to do is turn up on the day. Big thanks to all concerned there!

It is also fair to point out that while we are not technically in a recession, we are in a period of economic slowdown and it is entirely reasonable to MSV to make the most of the weekday track days to maximise income for the group. This may put a few off and I can see their point of view, but we have to be realistic and look at the wider picture, which I am sure the vast majority do.

MSV do a great deal to support marshals, not only do they offer track days but there are the Palmer prizes at each major meeting and the BMMC are often given a Palmer Sport day to offer as a prize too those marshals who renew their membership promptly.

I am sure you would all join me in thanking Jonathan and his team for their support, long may it continue.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2823197)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whether an exclusive day for marshals or free places on an existing trackday, it's still a generous offer much appreciated. I wouldn't be willing to risk my day to day car, but I'm still grateful for the opportunity should I change my mind.

On that basis, I don't think the choice of who is invited is ours to make.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2823204)   #10
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Wooley has it.
Our track day participation is a gift from MSVR, on their terms.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 16:27 (Ref:2823298)   #11
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Wooley has it.
Our track day participation is a gift from MSVR, on their terms.
Absolutely - and added to that I say again we have never had any issues on any trackday (marshal day or otherwise) we have attended in terms of poor driving standards from other people, whether novices, intermediates, advanced or race drivers.

All have been perfectly fine.

We are always obliged to MSV for doing so much for us.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2823761)   #12
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the Oulton Trackday we had a few race teams there testing there cars for the upcoming season. For example a team was there testing a Ginetta G40, is this still classed as a novice trackday?

I for one don't mind as i enjoy being on track in my road car at the same time as a group of racing cars.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2823865)   #13
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bee View Post
On the Oulton Trackday we had a few race teams there testing there cars for the upcoming season. For example a team was there testing a Ginetta G40, is this still classed as a novice trackday?

I for one don't mind as i enjoy being on track in my road car at the same time as a group of racing cars.
The Brands day was an "open pit lane" so therefore open to anyone and not just novices - not sure if Oulton was the same - given what you said - probably yes.