Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Oct 2022, 07:44 (Ref:4131600)   #51
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
This might be a big step up for Sauber. Going alone with a manufacturer could reap benefits.
Old 27 Oct 2022, 09:51 (Ref:4131616)   #52
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
So from 2026 Sauber will be trading in their alfa for an Audi
Howdy. no more alfalfa!

Last edited by bathurst77; 27 Oct 2022 at 09:56.
Old 27 Oct 2022, 09:53 (Ref:4131617)   #53
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Seems Sauber have to survive a few years on their own before they become Audi.
Maybe audi will start pouring the euro in early as a down payment.
Could be a couple of hungry years to struggle through.
Old 27 Oct 2022, 13:36 (Ref:4131642)   #54
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Could be a repeat of Sauber BMW. There is a reason why most of the F1 teams are based in the UK....
Old 27 Oct 2022, 14:29 (Ref:4131659)   #55
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is a more in depth article from Sky sports on the Sauber/Audi partnership.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...--poNDXtiUZEJ4
Old 28 Oct 2022, 09:31 (Ref:4131735)   #56
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Could be a repeat of Sauber BMW. There is a reason why most of the F1 teams are based in the UK....
BMW Sauber actually did quite well, but ruined everything by taking the unprecedented step of giving up on a title fight to focus on next year. And we all know how well that turned out
Old 28 Oct 2022, 09:43 (Ref:4131741)   #57
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Just thinking about all this - more change at Sauber. Does this make Sauber the most re-branded, re-partnered team in F1? Would need to compare over a similar timeframe but especially if Sauber's sportscar days was included, it'd have to be "up there" with some of the other more "frequent flyers".
Old 28 Oct 2022, 10:09 (Ref:4131747)   #58
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Just thinking about all this - more change at Sauber. Does this make Sauber the most re-branded, re-partnered team in F1? Would need to compare over a similar timeframe but especially if Sauber's sportscar days was included, it'd have to be "up there" with some of the other more "frequent flyers".
It's an interesting thought - although there have been others who I think have had more change.

houston60f1 blogged about this in 2013 (obviously some changes since then)

One example is the 2005-Jordan, 2006-Midland, 2007-Spyker, 2008-Force India period. Of course followed by 2018-Racing Point Force India, 2019-Racing Point F1 Team, 2021-Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant F1 Team period for the same team.

Another example would be 1998-Tyrell, 1999-BAR, 2006 Honda followed by 2008-Honda, 2009-Brawn, 2010-Mercedes team.

You also have 1981-Toleman, 1986-Benneton, then 2002-Renault before the period of 2011-Lotus Renault GP, 2012-Lotus F1, 2016-Renault Sport F1 followed by 2021 Apine.

And let's not forget 1997-Stewart Grand Prix, 1999 Jaguar Racing, 2005-Red Bull Racing.

In comparison, I think Sauber has been on par with many other teams.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 13:55 (Ref:4131785)   #59
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's an interesting thought - although there have been others who I think have had more change.

houston60f1 blogged about this in 2013 (obviously some changes since then)

One example is the 2005-Jordan, 2006-Midland, 2007-Spyker, 2008-Force India period. Of course followed by 2018-Racing Point Force India, 2019-Racing Point F1 Team, 2021-Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant F1 Team period for the same team.

Another example would be 1998-Tyrell, 1999-BAR, 2006 Honda followed by 2008-Honda, 2009-Brawn, 2010-Mercedes team.

You also have 1981-Toleman, 1986-Benneton, then 2002-Renault before the period of 2011-Lotus Renault GP, 2012-Lotus F1, 2016-Renault Sport F1 followed by 2021 Apine.

And let's not forget 1997-Stewart Grand Prix, 1999 Jaguar Racing, 2005-Red Bull Racing.

In comparison, I think Sauber has been on par with many other teams.
I guess the unique aspect of Sauber over those teams mentioned is with Sauber they have always retained a shareholding in the team throughout all their different identities.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 14:36 (Ref:4131800)   #60
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
loved me those Red Bull Sauber years!
Old 28 Oct 2022, 15:12 (Ref:4131804)   #61
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I guess the unique aspect of Sauber over those teams mentioned is with Sauber they have always retained a shareholding in the team throughout all their different identities.
Is it unique?

Genuine question - did Renault retain shares in the team when it went through the Lotus Renault GP and Lotus F1 iterations?
Old 28 Oct 2022, 15:23 (Ref:4131810)   #62
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Sauber-Mercedes
Sauber-BMW
Sauber-Audi

When will we see a Sauber-Opel on the grid?
Old 28 Oct 2022, 16:07 (Ref:4131820)   #63
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Sauber-Mercedes
Sauber-BMW
Sauber-Audi

Sauber-Porsche?
Old 28 Oct 2022, 16:19 (Ref:4131827)   #64
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Sauber-Porsche?
Sauber-Ford Cologne
Old 28 Oct 2022, 16:26 (Ref:4131830)   #65
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Sauber-Porsche?
Probably the wrong thread to post this but I read that Williams Porsche is an almost done deal on a 50/50 shareholding. I think it stems from that man Jack Plooij again.

Its on this link. https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/15021...ent-owner.html
Old 28 Oct 2022, 17:13 (Ref:4131846)   #66
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I am not sure Jack Plooij is a good source...
Old 28 Oct 2022, 18:58 (Ref:4131871)   #67
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Sauber-Mercedes
Sauber-BMW
Sauber-Audi

With brands like Alfa-Romeo and Maserati in the Stellantis portfolio I would doubt it.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 20:27 (Ref:4131882)   #68
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Probably the wrong thread to post this but I read that Williams Porsche is an almost done deal on a 50/50 shareholding. I think it stems from that man Jack Plooij again.

Its on this link. https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/15021...ent-owner.html
Who knows if that is accurate, but if you believe the RBR story, it was the question of who is ultimately in control. These "50/50" deals always seem to be a recipe for conflict and arguments for who is in control. They can't truly be "50/50"

I think RBR wanted a 50+/50- deal with them on the plus side and Porsche wanted to be on the plus side as well. If I was Porsche, there is zero chance I would be on the negative side of any deal with Williams. So this would be an effective buyout of Williams even if they don't purchase 100%

Richard
Old 29 Oct 2022, 11:58 (Ref:4131926)   #69
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Who knows if that is accurate, but if you believe the RBR story, it was the question of who is ultimately in control. These "50/50" deals always seem to be a recipe for conflict and arguments for who is in control. They can't truly be "50/50"

Richard
Williams has already been filled with VW people like Capito, so perhaps such a deal has more chance of working?

A 50:50 stake with Sir Frank would, of course, be unthinkable!
Old 29 Oct 2022, 17:06 (Ref:4131950)   #70
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Especially since he passed and his heirs sold out.
Old 29 Oct 2022, 17:15 (Ref:4131953)   #71
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
V8 meant that during Frank’s time sharing the decision making would be unthinkable!
Old 29 Oct 2022, 18:58 (Ref:4131957)   #72
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Williams has already been filled with VW people like Capito, so perhaps such a deal has more chance of working?

Agree on the Frank part.

But when I think of stuff like this, I don't think of who currently fills the positions, but rather the organizational and power structure (power in this case defined by controlling interest). Lets say Dorilton maintains a controlling interest after a deal with Porsche. Just because they have VW leaning staff in management positions today, doesn't mean that might not change in the future. And given how things fell apart for Porsche with the RBR deal over who was in control, I cant imagine them partnering with Williams unless...

1. They want control and get control (majority owner)
2. The have backed away from wanting full control

Richard
Old 30 Oct 2022, 01:05 (Ref:4132010)   #73
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having a manu with an ever changing corporate hierarchy would be different to having an individual as a partner tho….at the onset of their partnership, how much of the team did Patrick Head have?

assuming it was never 50/50 but that aside, surely Frank was willing to entertain different types of ownership. The IPO for example was acceptable provided he controlled the majority of board seats?

With the Sauber BMW partnership, PS had given up board and team control to BMW if memory serves?
Old 30 Oct 2022, 18:28 (Ref:4132072)   #74
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Of course Sauber and Williams are in a different (financial) position than RBR.
Old 30 Oct 2022, 21:58 (Ref:4132118)   #75
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Agree on the Frank part.

But when I think of stuff like this, I don't think of who currently fills the positions, but rather the organizational and power structure (power in this case defined by controlling interest). Lets say Dorilton maintains a controlling interest after a deal with Porsche. Just because they have VW leaning staff in management positions today, doesn't mean that might not change in the future. And given how things fell apart for Porsche with the RBR deal over who was in control, I cant imagine them partnering with Williams unless...

1. They want control and get control (majority owner)

2. The have backed away from wanting full control

Richard
What a great investment by Dorlilin though, they got Williams at a fire sale price just as the value of teams shot up. If the Porsche deal goes through, I bet they double their initial investment and will still own 50% of the team.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk