Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 2 Apr 2002, 17:30 (Ref:250116)   #1
Quattro
Rookie

Quattro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bikes going missing at Le Mans???

Has anyone heard of any problems with Motorbikes being stolen at Le Mans?

Hopefully everybody will be too interested in the race, but a couple of our group are coming to Le Mans on Bikes. Is there any history of bikes going missing in the past?
Old 2 Apr 2002, 18:30 (Ref:250146)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really, there is normally quite a few people around the campsites and car parks all the time.

Would suggest that usual precautions are taken, chains etc.

SL
Old 2 Apr 2002, 18:31 (Ref:250148)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've heard of all kinds of things goin missing from the campsites- even a camper broken into and it's stock of beer removed (nothing else, just the beer!) and I've heard tales of unhelpfull security/stewards so it's best to take precautions to secure the bike- same as you would anywhere else, but don't let anything put them off enjoying the race!
Old 2 Apr 2002, 19:02 (Ref:250164)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you will not be camping, there is less of a risk. There is a bike park near the main entrance I think. There are so many police about you should be safe.

The bigger risk is driving about on Mad Friday, there are a lot of fast cars going very fast, coupled with the poor ol'e Frenchie going about his daily chores in his trusted 2CV can lead to some interesting moments.

SL
Old 2 Apr 2002, 20:01 (Ref:250242)   #5
powermite
Rookie

powermite should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend of mine had his 2 mopeds stolen from the back of his motorhome.Dont take any chances,lock everything up.
PM
Old 3 Apr 2002, 22:05 (Ref:251359)   #6
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SL

The bigger risk is driving about on Mad Friday, there are a lot of fast cars going very fast, coupled with the poor ol'e Frenchie going about his daily chores in his trusted 2CV can lead to some interesting moments.

SL
The best thing to do on 'mad Friday' is leave your car/bike alone and watch everyone else wreck theirs. I hope some lessons have been learned from last years incident involving a rented Ferrari, but I expect not.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 07:51 (Ref:251580)   #7
Quattro
Rookie

Thanks everyone for your comments ....i'll let the guys in our group know.

So what's the story with the Ferrari ????

PS...Good to meet you at Brands SL.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 07:56 (Ref:251588)   #8
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ferrari was rented in France by a couple of Brits, taken to LM where it took part in one of the many drag races
not used to such power the driver lost control and hit a SEAT that was coming the other way wiping of a front wheel.
The Ferrari then sped off, the whole incendent was captured on many vidieos and photos.
There is a clip onthe web somewhere.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 08:18 (Ref:251606)   #9
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Last time I camped in 2000, I spent Friday pm outside Maison Blanche watching the antics. Highlights of the afternoon were the Mustang which must have been on slicks by the end of the day, a mini bike doing donuts and best of all a 50 seater Volvo coach revving its engine and bouncing up and down on its gas suspension. Even the locals were getting in on the act, the biggest cheer of the afternoon went to a couple trying to wheelspin a Renault 4!

As for the Ferrari incident, any idea where the clip is?
Old 4 Apr 2002, 10:06 (Ref:251669)   #10
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex

the clip can be found on www.the-webbs.com this is the home page for a rather fast caterham called K2 RUM.
follow the links to the Vidioes the clip is at the bottom.

Last edited by Nordic; 4 Apr 2002 at 10:07.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 11:00 (Ref:251698)   #11
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for that, unfortunately I guess this is the outcome of Friday. I just hope no-one ever gets seriously hurt.

Did they get the b*stard in the Ferrari? He can't have been to hard to track down; English, hired a Ferrari in France, loads of witnesses - even Inspector Clouseau could find him!
Old 4 Apr 2002, 11:42 (Ref:251719)   #12
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
I read that the guy was caught.
I am however still looking for the w****er that drove round the Houx annex camp site in a soft top 911 like a rally stage.
I understand that the Porker club GB are based in the annexe this year, will this mean lots of polar neck jumpers and driving gloves will be seen???
Old 6 Apr 2002, 20:25 (Ref:253745)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
*******! I can't be doing with loonies treating the campsite like the Paris-Dakar! Last weekend at Brands there was a hoon in a Subaru - could have killed someone!

Quattro - was that you sat talking to Simon at Paddock last Monday ? Sorry I didn't say hello... just didn't realise who you were! Next time, eh ? Maybe sometime in June...
Old 7 Apr 2002, 21:27 (Ref:254407)   #14
Quattro
Rookie

"Quattro - was that you sat talking to Simon at Paddock last Monday ? "

Yes, that was me.....May be going to Donington/Silverstone for some more GT action before Le Mans ....If you're there, i'll catch up with you then.
Old 8 Apr 2002, 15:22 (Ref:254912)   #15
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure about bikes, but I know some people who have gone missing.
Talking about Porches and fast driving, did anyone see the black 911 go up a tree after playing chicken with (I think) a TVR. This was in the dark on a lane near the Mulsanne kink, 1987-ish I reckon.
BigH
Old 13 Apr 2002, 23:52 (Ref:259411)   #16
The Brethren
Rookie

England
Greenhithe,Kent
The Brethren should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have usually upwards of 12 bikes ( not including trayboys machine ) on our site and haven't experienced any problems apart from one of our crew having his CBR 600 stolen from Houx ( not annexe ) 3 years ago right after the start of the race when everybody was at the circuit.
This was prior to him hooking up with us lot. He hadn't chained his bike nor did he have an alarm on it !! C'est la vie.
Chain all the bikes together and then to something immovable and make sure they all have immobilisers ( particularly when the owners return from the circuit ****ed and want to go dirt tracking !!! )
Cheers
Rusty
Old 15 Apr 2002, 17:11 (Ref:261278)   #17
Quattro
Rookie

Thanks for your comments Rusty.....

I'm sure the guys in our group have alarm/immobilisers fitted to their bikes....I'll let them know about the chaining up..