Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Oct 2002, 19:07 (Ref:406723)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does F1 need Ferrari?

Formula one seems to be defined by one team in particular, Ferrari. They are dominant, proud and arrogant. They have a right to be; though I don't personally agree with it. This leads me to the question: Does F1 need Ferrari or does Ferrari need F1? Where else is Ferrari worth anything? I saw a pretty darn good one in the ALMS built by Prodrive but that is all I know about them and racing. Is there another venue that they showcase their prowess? Personally I think they are on the brink of self destruction. They seem to feel F1 needs them. I don't think so. If Ferrari left, would all of the Ferrari fans leave too or would they become Maclaren fans and sometimes reminisce about the good old days of the f2002.

I feel that from a non-Ferrari fans perspective, the sport may even be better off without them.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 19:19 (Ref:406729)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You seem to miss out the several years that Ferrari were part of the chasing pack. Pre MS / Todt they were slow and unreliable.
True there was good Ferrari years in the dawn of F1 as well but they have stood with it and are the only team that have competed in every year of F1.

Simon
Old 17 Oct 2002, 19:19 (Ref:406731)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Does F1 need Ferrari?

Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Personally I think they are on the brink of self destruction.
http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/h...pa_results.asp

Don't think so
Old 17 Oct 2002, 19:44 (Ref:406747)   #4
formulastudent
Rookie

formulastudent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure F1 needs ferrari, but unfortunately is does need the tiffosi, without those unswerving loyal (if misguided) people coming to races everywhere, crowds would seem a lot smaller, sponsors would see that and then everything would selfdestruct as no-one would put the money in to a series no-one watches.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 20:26 (Ref:406784)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think it needs the history that Ferrari brings to F1...not sure if it needs the team though.......not sure..bit of a tough one that .
Old 17 Oct 2002, 20:38 (Ref:406794)   #6
classic
Rookie

classic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well.. It is a racing series.. And these guys are killing it.
Not by building a supremely dominant race car but by not allowing their racers to drive.

Ferrari are treating this as a multi million dollar business. The founding fathers of F1 might have wanted this to be a prestigious racing series where technology and drivers get pushed to the limit.

I don't mind watching Ferrari dominate the opposition for the next 10 years if they take the best possible drivers and let them have a fair fight.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 21:03 (Ref:406815)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well if they would be allowed to race eachother, then i don't mind Ferrari dominating the next year or two... and no more!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 17 Oct 2002 at 21:03.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 21:12 (Ref:406823)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
F1 needs the prestige of the Ferrari name, but not it's tactics.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 21:21 (Ref:406830)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I'll go along with mr v, my exact sentiments. As a youngster, I loved Ferrari - I still do. But I certainly don't like the present administration of Toad and Brawn, and their ilk. I am just holding out for their retirement to renew my fervour. To me, Ferrari was never about winning, it was about being F1.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 22:39 (Ref:406902)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I'm sorry Neilap, but I think it's a silly question. I also think "brink of self destruction" is an overdramatisation.

If Ferrari left F1, both would suffer, both would survive. Ferrari is more than just racing F1, and I doubt that many of its owners are regular watchers.

F1 too is bigger than Ferrari. Teams will come and go, and eventually Ferrari will as well. Life goes on.

What is the point of the question? Do you really think this is possible in the near future?
Old 17 Oct 2002, 22:55 (Ref:406906)   #11
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 uses its history as part of the glamour of F1. Ferrari is the only team that was in formula 1 at its foundation. So yes F1 needs Ferrari but Ferrari needs F1 more.

If Ferrari was not in F1 what would that do to the status of their road cars?

But I still do not understand why when Ferrari has produced the best car, best team and best drivers that the sport needs to be changed. I think some supporters need to watch golf (no sorry one man is dominating that), Aussy V8's (no one man is dominating that), MOTOGP (no one man is dominating that), road cycling (no one man is dominating that), tennis, yes go watch tennis.....J

F1 is cyclical and the other teams will catch up and even pass Ferrari when they stop dropping the ball and do their job correctly.

Does F1 need Ferrari? yes
Does F1 need Minardi? yes
Does F1 need arrows? yes
Old 18 Oct 2002, 00:16 (Ref:406945)   #12
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
[B]I'm sorry Neilap, but I think it's a silly question. I also think "brink of self destruction" is an overdramatisation./B]
From the replys I don't think it is a silly question at all. Yes I know they both would suffer. I also know that F1 would carry on. However I don't think anyone would think much more of them than Lamborghini without their history and tradition in F1. In fact I think if they left they would eventually fade into nothing but a memory. When they won in 2000 I suddenly began seeing More 360 Modenas on the street. There was a time that I would never see one for months. I bet their sales had a huge jump after that. In fact even Shell stations changed their names to Formula shell. The reason I say they are self-destructing is that they are going to lose potential fans because of the way their racing program is run. I am newer to F1, I never saw Senna race live, I missed much of the "Glory days". But seeing the difference in ways that Maclaren treated their most recent wins and the way Ferrari have abused it, it only makes me think they don't really care about public opinion. We all know that its the public that have made them. If people lose respect for them their sales will fall.

Last edited by neilap; 18 Oct 2002 at 00:19.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 00:22 (Ref:406947)   #13
Champ69
Veteran

Fact - 1998 McLaren had a race to the first corner and then team orders where enforced.
Fact - In 2002 in most races the ferraris had a race to the last pit stop and then team orders where enforced.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 00:24 (Ref:406948)   #14
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
You underestimate the passion of the tifosi, if you think that a few seasons of TGF and Barelyfellow playing games at the front (all the while thoroughly dominating the races) will send them running to support Williams or Mac.

I don't think Ferrari will be out of F1 anytime soon, unless Bernie and Max actually try to implement some of their brainless ploys.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 06:04 (Ref:407010)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari and F1 need each other. And no, Ferrari won't be leaving and they are as healthy as each other.

Notice how the only one's who back Ferrari's tactics though are Ferrari supporters? Funny that....
Old 18 Oct 2002, 06:17 (Ref:407013)   #16
Champ69
Veteran

I backed McLaren tactics back in 98 and I recon that Ron and david are right royal dic..... well you know what I mean.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 07:30 (Ref:407022)   #17
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
At all GP's there are more Ferrari fans than any other team, except perhaps where there is a local team or driver. So Ferrari is therefore extremely important to F1. Equally F1 is important to Ferrari. Why else would they spend the money thay do? It is probably their only form of advertising.

Last edited by Mal; 18 Oct 2002 at 07:31.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 07:50 (Ref:407033)   #18
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race ends at the end, not at the last pit-stop.

If Ferrari are not willing to compete the WHOLE of the race then they should not run in my opinion. And that goes for every team, not just Ferrari.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 07:59 (Ref:407035)   #19
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari are willing to compete the whole race. Actually they really do that; they won 15 whole races this season.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 08:09 (Ref:407039)   #20
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Ferraris team order are little different to any other team IMO, despite what the team bosses say. However the difference is that the make it too obvious and it basically stick two fingers up to the fans and the organisers.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 08:18 (Ref:407044)   #21
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
If another team pulls their finger out and starts giving Ferrai some decent competition we would not be asking such silly questions. Yes, most people are bored to tears with F1, but the answer is not to get rid of the best team (or even to wish them gone). Yes, Ferrari are beginning to appear slightly arrogant. Yes, Ferraris team orders are annoying, and the race fixing is farciical.

We've mostly been bored this season, and I am not a Ferrari fan. Somthing must be done to make F1 more interesting, and to make overtaking possible. However, a great deal of threads on this forum at the moment are beginning to annoy me. If I was a Ferrari fan it would all look like "sour grapes" and jelously to me.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 08:38 (Ref:407048)   #22
Ferrari27
Rookie

Ferrari27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I don't agree with anything I have read you must remember to think from a non FORMULA ONE fan. Here in Vancouver (I don't know about the centre of the univer...I mean Toronto), most casual viewers think F1 is the molson indy (Cart series)! But once you explain Ferrari then they wonder why they don't see them at the indy. You also must look at the history Ferrari has; No other team has it. The Ferrari company was created in formula one...no other manufacturer has. Thus the casual viewer begins to see the passion (and almost cult following it has here) and thus derives general interest. Remember, it's the American audience not only Ferrari but Formula one is after. So, in short, for these reason Formula one needs Ferrari at the present moment.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 08:57 (Ref:407056)   #23
Mal
Veteran

England
London
I also beleive that MS has only really pushed in two races this year - the first half of Spa, and the First 10 laps of Suzuka. Both times he was over 1s per lap faster If other teams gave real competition then MS would have to push harder Willimas and MacLaren would start to split the Ferraris and there would be little or no oppurtunity for race fixing, as happened largely up to the end of 2001.

I dont agree with race fixing at all in the manner of Austria and USA, but I think that team orders to an extent are inevitable.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 09:48 (Ref:407078)   #24
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ParkLife
The race ends at the end, not at the last pit-stop.

If Ferrari are not willing to compete the WHOLE of the race then they should not run in my opinion. And that goes for every team, not just Ferrari.
This is utter BS - every single team that gets good consistent results (consistently first or consistently in the points, doesn't matter) slows down at the end of the race. They ALL do it - very rarely will a team allow a driver to push 100% in the last 20% of the race. The cars are too marginal, the stakes are too high.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 16:13 (Ref:407290)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its not BS at all Glen....it may not be as clear as all that i agree , but its not BS..there is a fair point in it i think .

Last edited by Sato san; 18 Oct 2002 at 16:13.