Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Apr 2003, 22:53 (Ref:558858)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Remember a guy named "Roger" ?

Although I can't access their stories, AR1 has reported that Penske will be resigning his position from the ISC.

All I can get from the website is...

Roger Penske, “The Captain,” was resigning from the board of ISC! Roger Penske is loose with billions of dollars at his disposal and no place to call home. This is a huge story, possible the single most significant motorsports news event of this year... so far! “What is Roger Penske’s next step?” should be the question hanging on the lips of the entire motorsports industry right now. When the music stops, Roger always has a chair."

Interesting. Perhaps Marlboro called their motorsports guy into the office and called him an "idiot" before firing him?

I dunno... Maybe it's a pointless thread. But it's got me curious.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 23:45 (Ref:558913)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Won't Marlboro have to get out of the business soon like all the others?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 5 Apr 2003, 02:23 (Ref:558986)   #3
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sure makes you wonder what Roger is up to. He makes no moves without a plan. I'm sure he will do something and it will be big and he will be competing in or running something. I just can't see this man retiring and doing little woodwork projects in his garage.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 03:22 (Ref:559002)   #4
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you suppose he and Bernie have had a recent lunch appointment? I hope not.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 10:02 (Ref:559150)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe the IRL's refusing him the rights to build his own chassis has tempted him to pick up his ball and go home. My guess is that he'll either put more weight behind his NASCAR team, or try to go back to F1, probably initially running one of this year's cars while developing one of his own to sue in 2005.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 13:23 (Ref:559255)   #6
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
???????

• Roger Penske's decision to resign from the board of directors of the International Speedway Corp. has provoked speculation about his reasoning and his future plans.

According to one Penske source, the boss is pondering joining Bernie Ecclestone as a business partner in a major revival of CART, as a Formula One satellite series. The most intriguing part of the Penske-Ecclestone story is the possibility of a new U.S. Formula One race in Las Vegas. That electric city that was Ecclestone's first choice for the race when it was revived in 2000, but Ecclestone became frustrated with city officials lagging on approving his plans for a layout just south of the Strip.

http://www.journalnow.com/wsj/sports/MGBT8EC15ED.html
Old 5 Apr 2003, 13:33 (Ref:559260)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, very interesting.

Penske-Ecclestone weighs up nicely against George-Ganassi...the next year is going to be very nicely.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 14:02 (Ref:559279)   #8
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penske's merger deal with ISC provided for three board seats. If his stock holdings were sold below a certain level, he relinquished board seats accordingly. He sold stock and used the proceeds to prop up his United Auto holdings. In doing so, he gave up two board seats, his own and Walt Czarnecki's. His son, Greg, remains on the ISC board and remains as GM at Fontana. There is no racing "action" going on.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 14:15 (Ref:559288)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
the next year is going to be very nicely.
*interesting
Old 5 Apr 2003, 17:51 (Ref:559424)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know what to think, would we want Penske involved in CART with Bernie? Will CART have to be a satalight series to F1 for Bernie to be involved?
Old 5 Apr 2003, 21:33 (Ref:559569)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Boots... Because of NASCAR's relationship with the ISC, I'm inclined to discount your theory that he's about to "put more weight behind his NASCAR team."
Old 5 Apr 2003, 21:39 (Ref:559574)   #12
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Penske just misses right-hand turns?
Old 5 Apr 2003, 21:47 (Ref:559577)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Perhaps he's upset that Gil is getting injured...

Refresh my memory...

When Penske left, did he actually trash CART? I know that he sat on the fence for awhile and his decision to desert upset many of us. And I know that he built up the IRL as best he could. But did he ever actually trash CART, ala Ganassi? (I'm just trying to decide whether or not I would welcome him back or not!)

Last edited by macdaddy; 5 Apr 2003 at 21:48.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 21:47 (Ref:559578)   #14
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First of all, if Roger Penske wanted back in CART, I'd let him in with open arms. I seriously don't think that he wants to be in the IRL. It's just that his sponsor wants to be at Indy, and that isn't legally possible if Penske is in CART.

Although I don't believe it, the rumor about Penske going to Formula 1 would be great. He has extensive ties to DaimlerChrysler, as Mercedes-Benz once supplied his CART engines and he runs Dodges in NASCAR, so he might be able to purchase Mercedes engines. He can run Helio Castroneves in one car, and buy out one of the versatile-stock-car-driving-Indiana-boys-whose-names-are-always-mentioned-when-someone-wonders-if-an-American-can-drive-in-F1's contracts (I bet it would be the angry one), and suddenly you have an American Formula 1 team with a driver that people will follow.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 22:30 (Ref:559589)   #15
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Roger Penske is a smart man. In on the ground floor of CART and out on the top floor. Once again Roger could find himself in on the ground floor of CART, the new CART. To answer your question Macdaddy, I don't think he has burned many, if any, bridges with CART.

While all my own speculation, with a new N/A V-10, the possibility of Bernie and Forsythe as major partners, the possibility of going private again, it could be a major coup for him. I don't see Penske going to F1. It has seen its highest height IMO. Not like Roger to ride the downhill side. Penske has proved many times he is up to the challenge of a start-up or turn-around in many businesses not just racing. If you think about the current situation it makes sense that CART's future could have Penske's name written all over it.

My previous post was not based in anything except a hunch. Looks like others have had the same one. This should be fun to see if anything really comes of it.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 22:47 (Ref:559603)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
One thing to remember is that Penske left while Joe H was still in control. Perhaps he would have stayed if Pook had been brought on board earlier? To his own defence, CART really was lying on its deathbed at the time. I remember how upset I was with his decision, but I also understood his point of view.

Now I'm going way out on a limb with my speculating, but IF he ever did return to CART, the best thing to come out of it would be the fact that I could once again wear my Penske hats and jackets!
Old 5 Apr 2003, 23:38 (Ref:559640)   #17
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't say CART was on it's deathbed when Penske left, but I suppose the imcompetant CEO should be taken into consideration. Penske could have used his muscle to ensure Pook got the job. Toyota would have had a hard sell going to IRL would have had a much harder sell going to the IRL. Recall that it was CART's actions that was a big motivator for Honda to leave. Toyota took a LONG time to get up to speed with their engines and then proceeded to try to bully CART into the silly IRL formula.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 23:50 (Ref:559652)   #18
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Too bad he sold Michigan International!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 03:02 (Ref:559731)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Is it coincidence that coincidences often happen coincidentally?

Like, Mazda Raceway signs a contract that lasts as long as Ford's does?

Or like, Penske is running a Panoz CrapChassis for the first time next race? The first event to take place after Panoz buys Reynard? Which was previously owned by Forsythe?
Old 6 Apr 2003, 03:31 (Ref:559740)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Check that.
Panoz bought Reynard from Walker. Not Forsythe. I knew better. But you get my point.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 07:02 (Ref:559782)   #21
rookie
Rookie

rookie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think it would be great if roger Penske came to CART. What a slap in the face it would be to the IRL after they bragged about having them.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 12:43 (Ref:559926)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not trying to stamp on anyone's theories or anything, but does anyone honestly see this liklihood occuring?
Old 6 Apr 2003, 15:36 (Ref:560067)   #23
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Honestly, if Bernie comes on board I think there is better than a 50/50 chance that Penske will have some ownership and be running cars in CART by '05.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 18:23 (Ref:560240)   #24
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
If I've learned anything over the last two or three seasons, it's that anything can happen! At the very least, it gives us something to talk about while we wait for LBeach! All he did was resign from the ISC, it's not like he bought 12% of CART or anything. But with all of the Bernie rumours thrown into the mix, it makes speculation fun!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:40 (Ref:560443)   #25
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only trashing that I remember Roger making was statements along the line of "there's only room for one OW series, and I think I know which one is going to survive." At the time, CART still hadn't had the floor drop out on them (publicly). I think his comments were really just aimed at that, since he obviously knew what was about to happen with Honda and Toyota.

It certainly wasn't the type of sly crud that the Potato Snackster was pulling...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James