Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Jul 2016, 20:15 (Ref:3656760)   #251
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Those Ford prototypes
Fords are way faster than the other cars. Credit to Corvette #4 getting fourth I bet that feels like a win in some ways. Which is sad.

Impressed too that the Corvette DP's pulled this out LMPC as a whole did good too. Proto: 197 laps, LMPC 195, GTLM 190. I hate that class but they need credit today
Old 3 Jul 2016, 20:16 (Ref:3656761)   #252
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, a disappointment that the Mazdas didn't do better, but still an entertaining race.

GTLM-T put on a good show, and happily GTLM-NA didn't get in the way. Hand and Auberlen showed some real class .... Right after the announcers made a mouthful of stupid excuses for the PC cars running each other off the road in the interest of "good, hard racing" the pros showed what it is Really all about.

DP/P2 balance is about as good as it can get .... if the P2s had the power to catch the DPs on corner exit, they would be so fast that the DPs would have to have their own class (which is how it should be ... the stale leftover class.)

Pla set the fastest lap of the race ... got a podium. Nice the see the team fail to fail and self-destruct.
Old 3 Jul 2016, 20:21 (Ref:3656763)   #253
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
DP/P2 balance is about as good as it can get .... if the P2s had the power to catch the DPs on corner exit, they would be so fast that the DPs would have to have their own class
Yeah, but that is also the problem. One kind of car is great in the corners, the other pulls away on the straight.
Overall, that may even out over a clear lap, but if a P2 gets stuck behind a DP, it can never get by without a little help from lapped traffic.
Old 3 Jul 2016, 20:29 (Ref:3656764)   #254
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was an alright race.congrats to all the winners.

Do p2s need power?yes,but can those engines handle it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 3 Jul 2016, 20:42 (Ref:3656765)   #255
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Yeah, but that is also the problem. One kind of car is great in the corners, the other pulls away on the straight.
Same as it ever was .... Not as bad as it has been ,.... and probably as good as it can get.

In GT it is accepted that different cars do better on different tracks. I guess the issue is that a P2 can Always be terminally blocked by a DP.

Hope 2017 is better.
Old 3 Jul 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3656766)   #256
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Jules Bianchi. And the green flag is back out.
Europe has FCY and slow zones become widely used subdue then.
Old 3 Jul 2016, 21:50 (Ref:3656778)   #257
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The problem is if you were to give the P2s more power then they would dominate the DPs and then the DP teams will cry.
Old 3 Jul 2016, 23:07 (Ref:3656790)   #258
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Decent race. Bad for Mazda, but they had good speed at least. Next year no more dp, so I look forward to every car being the same type. GTE was ok. I just look at the sleek Ford and then see this big BMW sedan and feel like these cars aren't meant to race together in the same class. The M6 looks out of place with a Ford GT and Vette and Ferrari.
Old 4 Jul 2016, 00:26 (Ref:3656799)   #259
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Decent race. Bad for Mazda, but they had good speed at least. Next year no more dp, so I look forward to every car being the same type. GTE was ok. I just look at the sleek Ford and then see this big BMW sedan and feel like these cars aren't meant to race together in the same class. The M6 looks out of place with a Ford GT and Vette and Ferrari.
I think its great personally. GT3 is the same thing. GT racing is the best its ever been. But yeah Ford are the big swingers right now clearly. I was cheering for BMW though. I guess they played potential spoiler role to Ford today like Risi at Le Mans and Scuderia Corse at Laguna.

Speaking of which I think we'll only see the #68 Ferrari at Road Atlanta now?
Old 4 Jul 2016, 00:29 (Ref:3656800)   #260
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I just don't like seeing a sedan run up there with an exotic or supercar. It just doesn't seem 'real' to me. BMW don't have any supercar so I guess the M6 is the best they can do.
Old 4 Jul 2016, 00:44 (Ref:3656802)   #261
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Speaking of which I think we'll only see the #68 Ferrari at Road Atlanta now?
Unless they find some additional funding, that it correct.
Old 4 Jul 2016, 01:35 (Ref:3656808)   #262
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I just don't like seeing a sedan run up there with an exotic or supercar. It just doesn't seem 'real' to me. BMW don't have any supercar so I guess the M6 is the best they can do.
I think your perception of what is exotic or supercar is based in looks only.

Under the skin, these GTLM cars are all running similar gearboxes, electronics systems, safety harnesses, leader lights, common brake manufacturer, common tire, same fuel and so on.

The ford being an outlier with the carbon monocoque.

It's just the body that you are looking at, and I suppose that since that is the most visually present thing, then yes the M6 looks out of place. Other than looks, it's engineered to be a GTLM race car waivers and all.
Old 4 Jul 2016, 03:36 (Ref:3656812)   #263
TF110
Veteran

United States
The M6 is not an exotic, not even a supercar. It's a luxury coupe with a powerful engine. The Ford GT is a ~$500,000 exotic, supercar whatever. I'm not speaking anything about what the race cars have. To any ordinary person just tuning into the race, it looks like a mismatch and in real life it is. Had my gf watching with me and she noticed the same thing, plus the DP's racing lmp2.
Old 4 Jul 2016, 04:12 (Ref:3656814)   #264
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was a good race. A P2 should have won this, but I have to give credit to the DP teams. Good drivers, strategy and pit stops. I actually think that we had a pretty good prototype field with 4 P2s against 4 DPs. No problem with BoP either, it doesn't really get more balanced than that with these cars.

What we saw in GTLM was that IMSA's BoP isn't really any better than ACO's.
Old 4 Jul 2016, 05:18 (Ref:3656818)   #265
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Derani made some dp passes in the hpd....its not like the dps would have been able to pass the p2s had the p2s had better pit stops and gotten in front. It's what makes those two philosophies interesting to watch race,each other. Bop was pretty darn good imho, except gte

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 4 Jul 2016, 12:26 (Ref:3656875)   #266
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars improved by ~2.5s on QLF(vs 2014) and 4 to 5s on race best lap(vs last year). Can this be only due to repaving? The cars seemed so fast around corners and that alone would've made it great already. I'm really looking forward to Indy there

I watched the last 4 hours and enjoyed very much. Quite some nice battles developed and the greatest thing about them was that there was no artifice. Overtaking should be hard and the P2s vs DPs and Ford vs BMW battles showed how great a real hard fight is as the driver really needed to display great skill to pull of a pass, as well as the other one showing defensive race craft to keep the position.
Old 4 Jul 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3656926)   #267
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The M6 is not an exotic, not even a supercar. It's a luxury coupe with a powerful engine. The Ford GT is a ~$500,000 exotic, supercar whatever. I'm not speaking anything about what the race cars have. To any ordinary person just tuning into the race, it looks like a mismatch and in real life it is. Had my gf watching with me and she noticed the same thing, plus the DP's racing lmp2.
...and the Corvette can be had as a $50,000 car, your point?
Old 4 Jul 2016, 17:07 (Ref:3656942)   #268
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really enjoyed the race. I am now really looking forward to the rest of the season and wishing that I could make it back to my home state of Georgia for PLM.
Old 4 Jul 2016, 19:28 (Ref:3656968)   #269
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder what will happen with the BOP in GTLM. Corvette and Porsche are just not competitive in the dry.
Old 4 Jul 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3656970)   #270
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Unedited photos from the weekend:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/984521...57669964147562
Old 4 Jul 2016, 20:42 (Ref:3656976)   #271
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I wonder what will happen with the BOP in GTLM. Corvette and Porsche are just not competitive in the dry.
I wonder which manufacturer is going to walk out, or threaten to.
Old 4 Jul 2016, 22:52 (Ref:3656987)   #272
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Corvettes have had awful BoP from this point in the season on every year of this series, it seems whoever is Fehan's boss is perfectly fine with the GT car being competitive in the Florida and California races then getting all the good BoP given to the Corvette DPs.

Porsche is not even properly running under the new rules so they have a lot less leverage to complain about this season.
Old 5 Jul 2016, 01:10 (Ref:3656997)   #273
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari is also below Ford in the BOP too.
Old 5 Jul 2016, 01:50 (Ref:3657002)   #274
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
That #540 911 GTD Silver and Green Livery is just awesome.
Good work !
Thanks for sharing.
Old 5 Jul 2016, 03:02 (Ref:3657012)   #275
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I love that Conti says the teams aren't using proper pressure that is why the tires keep going down.
I know an Italian company that uses the exact same excuse but that's when their tires explode on plain sight, and such thing happens quite often with their products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Overall, that may even out over a clear lap, but if a P2 gets stuck behind a DP, it can never get by without a little help from lapped traffic.
Derani passed some DPs a couple of times. I guess it requires a very skilled driver? If so, I approve it as overtaking shouldn't be something easy for everyone to do it, imho.

Quote:
Quote:
I agree, a sedan is completely out of place with GTs/sportscars

The BMW M6 looks like an ordinary, although luxury, street car while the others look agressive and sporty. There is no match and it's just that, imho.