Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Jun 2005, 02:04 (Ref:1336668)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AASA ad in AA

A lot of "A"s in the thread title I know...

Ad on p17 of AA this week, seeking-

Motorsport Officials to Fill the following roles-

Stewards, Clerks of Course, Safety Officers, Track inspectors

For the following disciplines-

Rallying, Off Road, Circuit Racing, Hill Climbs

Positions available in Vic/NSW/WA/SA/QLD

Hrmmm. Looking at AASA website, their mission statement says-

In order to negotiate reasonable insurance costs and avoid unfair cross subsidisation, Australian Auto-sport Alliance has focussed its efforts to cover responsible events and activities on fixed circuits.

The website also has references to Touring Road and Tarmac Rallies in the NCRs.

Now I'm a big fan of the Top Gear meetings held at QR, and it seems that a lot of other punters are seeing the light. I just hope that the branching out won't affect the price of circuit racing, because it is just in the last few months really starting to kick off.

I know a lot of people in the know read this forum, any insight into what is going on?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 02:12 (Ref:1336673)   #2
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, that is very interesting.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 03:35 (Ref:1336722)   #3
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml2777
Hmmm, that is very interesting.

Indeed it is.

Beware all you proud CAMS officials, AASA is coming to take your jobs away from their rightful owners, YOU.

Stand up for your right to stand in the blistering heat or driving rain at an event that sees the course car do more laps than the competitors.

Be told the same story 3 times over, each day ( apparantly video screens are a distraction, and crawl spaces are dangerous ) by your Senior Marshals, {some of which are only senior in title, not experience}
because they believe you are truly are a fool, [ for standing in the rain all day ]

Put up with working conditions that most employers would be prosecuted for, and accept almost non-existant safety standards. ( apparantly video screens are a distraction, and crawl spaces are dangerous )

Oh and don't forget, you sign away all your rights at the start of the day, because as we all know,

" Motor Racing is Dangerous "

Third time lucky:- ( apparantly video screens are a distraction, and crawl spaces are dangerous )

And they wonder why club & State racing struggles to get officials.

Old 22 Jun 2005, 04:45 (Ref:1336753)   #4
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"apparantly video screens are a distraction, and crawl spaces are dangerous )"

Huh? Context please? Maybe I'm thick. Or maybe I don't get it because everyone hates me even though I know People.

Kramer
Old 22 Jun 2005, 05:29 (Ref:1336767)   #5
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
"apparantly video screens are a distraction, and crawl spaces are dangerous )"

Huh? Context please? Maybe I'm thick. Or maybe I don't get it because everyone hates me even though I know People.

Kramer

"video screens are a distraction, and crawl spaces are dangerous"

is one of the often mentioned pieces of 'Risk Managment' advice read from a generic document and given to marshals at briefings by the disciples, sorry, senior officials each morning of an event.

For about the last 4 or 5 years.

Very relevant at Mallala or Winton, which are sans video screen & crawl space,

But the National Office issued the piece of paper, so the words are clearly special, and relevant........

Although the Naional Office clearly underestimate that sheep are a real danger to marshals, especially in spring,
CAMS obviously wouldn't understand the workings of a young ram's mind......

or maybe they would, could someone ask that question at a State Exec meeting next month.

BTW; Kramer, you don't know me.

Or want to.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 06:12 (Ref:1336784)   #6
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
Indeed it is.

Beware all you proud CAMS officials, AASA is coming to take your jobs away from their rightful owners, YOU.

Stand up for your right to stand in the blistering heat or driving rain at an event that sees the course car do more laps than the competitors.

Be told the same story 3 times over, each day ( apparantly video screens are a distraction, and crawl spaces are dangerous ) by your Senior Marshals, {some of which are only senior in title, not experience}
because they believe you are truly are a fool, [ for standing in the rain all day ]

Put up with working conditions that most employers would be prosecuted for, and accept almost non-existant safety standards. ( apparantly video screens are a distraction, and crawl spaces are dangerous )

Oh and don't forget, you sign away all your rights at the start of the day, because as we all know,

" Motor Racing is Dangerous "

Third time lucky:- ( apparantly video screens are a distraction, and crawl spaces are dangerous )

And they wonder why club & State racing struggles to get officials.

yeap... I once got distracted by a video screen inside a crawl space... lucky to be here to tell the tale...
Old 22 Jun 2005, 06:24 (Ref:1336795)   #7
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, OK - now I know what you're getting at. It's all become far too serious. I remember being a senior-ish official at a rally and helping spectators to set up acetyline bombs!

Kramer
Old 22 Jun 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1336986)   #8
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
Oh, OK - now I know what you're getting at. It's all become far too serious. I remember being a senior-ish official at a rally and helping spectators to set up acetyline bombs!

Kramer

Got it in one my good Man.

There is the Quintessential Difference between the rival sanctiong bodies.

AASA promote FUN.

CAMS have apparently passed a ruling; at National level that nobody is permitted to have any FUN, anymore.

With the possible exception being the course car driver at a PIARC run event, although he is probably too busy doing circumnavigations of the circuit to realize how much fun he is actually having.....
Old 23 Jun 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1338764)   #9
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Clearly the memo from CAMS National Office, which threatened a crap job at the AGP if any CAMS Marshal spoke against them; has worked.

Last edited by Uncle Cranker; 23 Jun 2005 at 22:15. Reason: appearance is everything
Old 23 Jun 2005, 23:17 (Ref:1338827)   #10
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
Clearly the memo from CAMS National Office, which threatened a crap job at the AGP if any CAMS Marshal spoke against them; has worked.

They wouldn't be silly enough to send out a memo like that, would they?
Old 27 Jun 2005, 04:37 (Ref:1340707)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PS- bump. Anyone have any insider knowledge on ad in AA?
Old 27 Jun 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1340966)   #12
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test
PS- bump. Anyone have any insider knowledge on ad in AA?

Crash, as they are the 'Rival faction', their Aim is to take on the big C at their own game.

My spies tell me that the aim is to start organising some closed road tarmac "Targa" type stuff at break even rates, & when a not for profit Car Club is doing so under the auspices & sanctioning of the aforementioned 'Rival faction' the winners might actually be the competitors.

The Rival Faction will also sanction the Roundie-Roundie @ the centre of Australian Motorsport, when the track reno's are completed, again at a very reasonable entry fee for the competitor, and a generous reduction in the "expected" admission price too, allegedly. (and some will scoff, "if it ever happens")

The Rival Faction are very keen to add a third Victorian circuit to their fold, albeit only for some events; and when said circuit promoter returns to this country, from OS 'proud parent' jaunt, meetings are allegedly planned, along with some other planned shake up's to officials rosters....

All in all the next 6-12 months could be a very interesting time for those that pad the Halls of Justice, especially the Julius Marlow wearers, as the once thought thorn in the side may have turned the wound slightly septic.
And knowing the lack of ability on the current medical panel, i'd be searching for the dettol, sooner, rather than later....... or at least the phone number of the Superfriends.

End of Ramblings, time to sleep.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 27 Jun 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1341030)   #13
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Crash, when did the jobs advertised close - first I have heard of these positions and I thought I was on "the inside" or at least knew someone who was?
Old 28 Jun 2005, 00:38 (Ref:1341596)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think there was a closing date, it just seemed to ask for officials to sign up etc.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of deal can be done for rally/targa type punters, because these things are very exxy to put on. I know the dramas the HRCC have had with trying to put on the Kilcoy Canter etc..
Old 29 Jun 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1342587)   #15
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So who do I call Crash to get on the list.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1342641)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Contact- info@aasa.com.au m- PO Box 249 Benella Vic 3671
Old 29 Jun 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1342921)   #17
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could Larry Perkins end up on board with these guys somehow, next year? If he is getting out of V8's (as suspected) partially because CAMS & AVESCO were hell-bent on making things hard for him, could his knowledge and experience be put to good use at a "rival faction" (thanks Uncle Cranker)?

Payback's a b1tch, after all!
Old 2 Jul 2005, 00:05 (Ref:1345083)   #18
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
Could Larry Perkins end up on board with these guys somehow, next year? If he is getting out of V8's (as suspected) partially because CAMS & AVESCO were hell-bent on making things hard for him, could his knowledge and experience be put to good use at a "rival faction" (thanks Uncle Cranker)?

Payback's a b1tch, after all!
Rombles, a very interesting thought.

I'm sure LP would be a great asset to AASA, especially in a Technicnal advisory role, but I think the events of the last 12-18 months have somewhat extinguished the fire in the belly.

I know that as a father, nothing gives me more enjoyment, than watching my boys develop & learn, and I think the very same currently holds true for Larry.
He has been trackside watching & helping Jack with his FF all year, at the Vic state rounds, often on the same weekends that CPRT are across the continent chasing points.

I admire him for being able to do that, and if he is not a team owner in '06, just a $$ for hire Race Engineering Owner, well I still dips me lid.

Life is far too short to worry about silly things, and even shorter when it comes to silly people.

I'd like to share a little UC philosphy with you all on this cold winter morning,

" If life was easy, everyone would be good at it "

Here endeth the lesson.......