Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Jun 2011, 13:39 (Ref:2907991)   #176
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Coverage in a national newspaper

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...al-belter.html
Old 29 Jun 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2908114)   #177
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post

The title.

IS this the future of sportscar racing?

If so, time to take up something else.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2909380)   #178
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
Since it was originally designed as a Road Course compatible car, (some of the very first vids were at a sim Mid Ohio Course) it should turn. But then you have to ask if the Indycars are on par with prototypes. Because it was designed to replace the current Dallara indy thing.
At any venue where IndyCar and the ALMS ran a twin bill, IndyCars were faster by at least a second or two, so YES, they would be on par with the prototypes for speed...even a little quicker...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Jul 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2909394)   #179
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
The title.

IS this the future of sportscar racing?

If so, time to take up something else.
I don't think it's the future at all, especially as Porsche have announced their return, unless they bring something as radical as the D-Wing to LMP1.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2917318)   #180
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
At any venue where IndyCar and the ALMS ran a twin bill, IndyCars were faster by at least a second or two, so YES, they would be on par with the prototypes for speed...even a little quicker...
Thanks for the info Tim!
Old 12 Jul 2011, 00:59 (Ref:2925356)   #181
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was just thinking about this car and I was wondering one thing, money. The theory of the car is to be half weight, take half the power, and have half the drag. So with all those halves, does the price (compared to a current LMP1 car) drop in half as well?
Old 12 Jul 2011, 01:17 (Ref:2925361)   #182
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I was just thinking about this car and I was wondering one thing, money. The theory of the car is to be half weight, take half the power, and have half the drag. So with all those halves, does the price (compared to a current LMP1 car) drop in half as well?
Panoz is involved to make profits....
Old 12 Jul 2011, 13:35 (Ref:2925571)   #183
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Panoz is involved to make profits....
That's what I figured. If Panoz is in charge of manufacturing and distribution, then I'm sure they will make only certain parts eligible as in LMPC and control who sells said parts.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2927880)   #184
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dagys just send out a Tweet saying that there are high hopes that the Delta Wing will be homologated as an LMP1 in the future (2014?). Dagys will have more on the topic tomorrow.

Maybe then the Delta Wing won't be a spec class? But if it is homologated as a LMP1, I hope other light weight cars are homologated as well and not just the Delta Wing or else it will become a spec sub-class within a class. That would be pathetic. Anyway, criticize me if you want, but I hope the thing massively fails next year. The thing is hideous looking and I don't like the potential of it becoming some sort of spec car at Le Mans.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 01:13 (Ref:2927897)   #185
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have toagree lmp 900 and 675 were supposed to be on equal footing essentially and it didn't really work- then lmp1 and 2 and lmp c. This would be more of the same
Old 18 Jul 2011, 02:36 (Ref:2927903)   #186
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Dagys just send out a Tweet saying that there are high hopes that the Delta Wing will be homologated as an LMP1 in the future (2014?). Dagys will have more on the topic tomorrow.

Maybe then the Delta Wing won't be a spec class? But if it is homologated as a LMP1, I hope other light weight cars are homologated as well and not just the Delta Wing or else it will become a spec sub-class within a class. That would be pathetic. Anyway, criticize me if you want, but I hope the thing massively fails next year. The thing is hideous looking and I don't like the potential of it becoming some sort of spec car at Le Mans.
I hope it fails, but I hope it doesnt take the lives of drivers and spectators to prove the car is a failure. If I were a Black Ops spectator on the Mulsanne next year Id be very, very careful.

Best thing would be for the car to fail to start the race at all, and considering Panoz is involved, I would not be at all be suprised if that happens to be the case.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 03:05 (Ref:2927910)   #187
davehenrie
Racer

United States
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
I hope it fails, but I hope it doesnt take the lives of drivers and spectators to prove the car is a failure. If I were a Black Ops spectator on the Mulsanne next year Id be very, very careful.

Best thing would be for the car to fail to start the race at all, and considering Panoz is involved, I would not be at all be suprised if that happens to be the case.
Panoz is only involved in the construction aren't they? Highcroft will be running it. I don't think the DW can be any more of a spectacular failure than the AMR1 is. With Highcroft, they at least will have a solid team to sort out the car before LM. Now, if what I recall from MM, Panoz has laid off all of their car building crew. I would suspect they may have more trouble meeting construction deadlines rather than seeing the car fail miserably on the track.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 03:24 (Ref:2927913)   #188
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
Panoz is only involved in the construction aren't they? Highcroft will be running it. I don't think the DW can be any more of a spectacular failure than the AMR1 is. With Highcroft, they at least will have a solid team to sort out the car before LM. Now, if what I recall from MM, Panoz has laid off all of their car building crew. I would suspect they may have more trouble meeting construction deadlines rather than seeing the car fail miserably on the track.
You bring up a good point about Panoz and possible construction deadlines, it will be interesting to see when this thing (not a car) actually races, Im suspecting either Sebring or another early ALMS race.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 03:39 (Ref:2927917)   #189
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Dan Gurney/AAR was building the car and Panoz is supplying some of the materials.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2928064)   #190
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Quote:
I thought Dan Gurney/AAR was building the car and Panoz is supplying some of the materials.
yeah, that would have been a clearer way to explain it. Involved in the parts supply. thanks
Old 18 Jul 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2928228)   #191
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Gurney/AAR is building the first car for Highcroft. Any cars that make it into production, they will be built by Panoz with parts distributed through Newman-Haas.

One question in the packaging, does this thing have transverse engine? There looks to be no room at the back of this thing where the driver roll hoop ends and the back of the car, like a proper mid-engine sports car. I also have to think that this thing is going to flex like a top fuel dragster? Duncan says it will be testing in December, so we will see soon enough.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2928241)   #192
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's more substantional than a typial single-seater tub.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2928261)   #193
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Gurney/AAR is building the first car for Highcroft. Any cars that make it into production, they will be built by Panoz with parts distributed through Newman-Haas.
Yeah? That's interesting. That does not make a lot of sense for AAR as it seems that it would be pretty expense to tool to build one car. It almost seems like Gurney is just a token to get the project more attention if that is the case. On the other hand, I could understand why Panoz would want to cover his rear in case nobody wants to buy this thing (which is hopefully what will happen).

EDIT: Does Carl Haas have distribution rights to Panoz cars? I think he has North American distribution rights to Orecas or at least the FLMs.

EDIT2: I just read Dagys' article from today and it looks like AAR is building at least two of these things.

Last edited by AGD; 18 Jul 2011 at 21:15.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2928302)   #194
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
EDIT: Does Carl Haas have distribution rights to Panoz cars? I think he has North American distribution rights to Orecas or at least the FLMs.
Yes. Since the days of the DP-01 ChampCar.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 02:24 (Ref:2928367)   #195
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It almost seems like Gurney is just a token to get the project more attention if that is the case..
That is what I have felt since it was announced.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 00:59 (Ref:2930290)   #196
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dayton was on an online show the other day, on it he said they are investigating homologating the DW into P1 and are looking to run the car in the WEC as well as ALMS.

There isn't yet an agreement with the ACO to run in the WEC, but I guess that will come as it needs to be demo'd in race conditions before Le Mans.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 22:26 (Ref:2931108)   #197
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fingers crossed that they won't.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 04:08 (Ref:2931170)   #198
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
I'm just curious; what are you in favour of then?
-factory cars? yeah they're amazing, but they nuke the competition until it's can't even be called a competition, and they show up in small numbers, if at all
-privateers in old cars? meh. and you need a good economy for that to work
-pro-am rules??
-spec prototypes?

From where I'm standing, it's the most exciting project in prototype racing (and pretty much the only one) and the mainstream attention it can grab is a very good thing. Yes it looks like a pénis on wheels but a team of serious characters running it is getting me more excited than 2014 or the "competition" that's going on right now....
Old 26 Jul 2011, 04:13 (Ref:2931171)   #199
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
That's a shame, if it happens, as I think Le Mans will prove to be a much better platform for the D-Wing than Indy would ever have done.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 05:16 (Ref:2931176)   #200
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
I'm just curious; what are you in favour of then?
-factory cars? yeah they're amazing, but they nuke the competition until it's can't even be called a competition, and they show up in small numbers, if at all
-privateers in old cars? meh. and you need a good economy for that to work
-pro-am rules??
-spec prototypes?

From where I'm standing, it's the most exciting project in prototype racing (and pretty much the only one) and the mainstream attention it can grab is a very good thing. Yes it looks like a pénis on wheels but a team of serious characters running it is getting me more excited than 2014 or the "competition" that's going on right now....
I'm with TRuss on this one. Ok, the thing is so ugly that I kind of hope this program fails just because of that. I'm also not sure how this thing has any road relevance either in design or with future applications. Lighter is faster? Duh? Just bring back LMP675 then!

There are bigger problems with the situation though. There is a serious possibility that the DeltaWing could become some sort of spec subclass within LMP1. That would not be good. It seems that Don is trying to use his power and connections to force a way to get this car in a favorable position so he can make some money selling his products. That's not good. Not good at all. I may be way off, but it just seems like the Delta Wing people got desperate after the IRL rejected them (too ugly for the IRL! there's a warning!) and decided to grease up Don in order to force the issue.

Ok, the announcement got some publicity from the motoring press, but Paul Drayson's odd ideas get publicity from those same rags as well. Does anyone think that anyone will follow his creations?

But, ugh, even with philosophy and politics aside, the thing is just sooooo ugly! It even makes the Abruzzi look reasonable. That's enough for me to reject Don's latest erection!