Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 3 Apr 2016, 15:57 (Ref:3629913)   #76
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Chat is 15,000 - 20,000. Fairly decent and wouldn't use your words like sparse
I would. I assume you saw the same sparse, mostly empty grandstands I did. 15 to 20k for a major league racing series is sad, regardless of what you compare it to.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 16:17 (Ref:3629917)   #77
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Apparently, the last FCY was due to Rossi going into the wall.
This tweet confirms that Rossi caused the last caution. Looks like everyone, including NBC, missed it.

It sounds like he tapped the wall similar to what Bourdais did. If so, was a caution really necessary? Oh well. Overall the race was great and hopefully they come back next year. Maybe extend the race distance.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 20:25 (Ref:3629993)   #78
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
During the USAC era, two races a year were held, one in the Spring and one in the Fall/Autumn.
The autumn race was called Bobby Ball Memorial, and the spring race was the Jimmy Bryan 150.

Both drivers were born in Phoenix and died in race crashes.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 20:33 (Ref:3629995)   #79
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
That's it. Cars couldn't pass each other after four laps of green.

IndyCar must use superspeedway aerokits at short ovals, not road course aerokits. Not next year, next race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
No idea what race control is thinking.

Munoz is slow and they wait to throw the yellow.

Bourdais taps the wall and the caution gets thrown instantly.

Debris on the front stretch for around 10 laps and a caution comes out with 2 to go.

Just awful decision making.
They really have to reestablish the procedure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Wtf happened at the end? The debris on track was fine for 5 or 6 laps, but at 2 to go out was a problem all the sudden?????
I think that someone touched the piece and it got closer to the race line.

They had time to put yellow well before the race finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB View Post
Wow no penalty for that Kanaan block? I thought that was pretty out of order...
It wasn't aggressive enough. A warning should have been given.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3630010)   #80
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The autumn race was called Bobby Ball Memorial, and the spring race was the Jimmy Bryan 150.

Both drivers were born in Phoenix and died in race crashes.
Fascinating. I've always been interested by facts like these.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 01:33 (Ref:3630056)   #81
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I would. I assume you saw the same sparse, mostly empty grandstands I did. 15 to 20k for a major league racing series is sad, regardless of what you compare it to.
What are your expectations?

Comparing it to 1995 wouldnt be a smart idea.

The last time they ran here they had 5,000 fans so I would suggest that is positive progress on the rebuilding on Indycar in Pheonix. Its not the end goal (15 - 20,000) but its a great initial step.

If you thought they would return to 60,000 fans in year 1 and have some questions about that thought process
Old 4 Apr 2016, 02:27 (Ref:3630065)   #82
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
What are your expectations?

Comparing it to 1995 wouldnt be a smart idea.

The last time they ran here they had 5,000 fans so I would suggest that is positive progress on the rebuilding on Indycar in Pheonix. Its not the end goal (15 - 20,000) but its a great initial step.

If you thought they would return to 60,000 fans in year 1 and have some questions about that thought process
PIR only holds 51K so I wouldn't have thought or expected 60k by any means.

These were more of general comments regarding the overall interest and attendance at all tracks, not just PIR. These teams and drivers put a lot on the line and put on a half decent show consistently, to say the least, for a few thousand to show up and a few more to watch on TV.

I would've hoped for more, but I expected exactly what we got and what we've seen over the last 5 years, or so. I'll do my best not to poke fun at it if it's such a divisive subject.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 04:34 (Ref:3630081)   #83
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I would've hoped for more, but I expected exactly what we got and what we've seen over the last 5 years, or so. I'll do my best not to poke fun at it if it's such a divisive subject.
I dont think its a divisive subject - more a pointless one especially when your identified aim is to poke fun?

Crowds were up a Pheonix compared to their last visit there, Indycar tv ratings have been on the rise over the last 12 months.

I am not saying we need to celebrate such small progressions however I am not sure I see your purpose or agenda in picking and shouting out the the smallest crowds you remember.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 10:25 (Ref:3630168)   #84
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Ok. I'll never mention empty grandstands in this forum again. Geez.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 10:32 (Ref:3630170)   #85
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I dont think its a divisive subject - more a pointless one especially when your identified aim is to poke fun?

Crowds were up a Pheonix compared to their last visit there, Indycar tv ratings have been on the rise over the last 12 months.

I am not saying we need to celebrate such small progressions however I am not sure I see your purpose or agenda in picking and shouting out the the smallest crowds you remember.
What was the attendance for Phoenix?
Old 4 Apr 2016, 11:29 (Ref:3630186)   #86
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
It is sad but you have to put it in its context. IndyCar has been struggling for years with low track attendance and low TV viewing figures for years.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 11:42 (Ref:3630191)   #87
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
It is sad but you have to put it in its context. IndyCar has been struggling for years with low track attendance and low TV viewing figures for years.
I'll not mention the constant sparse crowds and/or low TV figures again as doing so seems to be highly offensive. I should perhaps start asking the questions to why no one is watching and attending and what could be done to fix it. Tracks like PIR should help.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3630196)   #88
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I'll not mention the constant sparse crowds and/or low TV figures again as doing so seems to be highly offensive. I should perhaps start asking the questions to why no one is watching and attending and what could be done to fix it. Tracks like PIR should help.
The sparse crowds and/or low TV figures happen to be a fact and there's no hiding from it. However, it does seem to be improving.

What should be done to fix it? If I was Mark Miles, I would carry out a study to establish what the existing fan base is. Which races they attend, which one's are watched on TV and I'd also look at where the potential fan base is.

Recently Penske said he didn't want to do fly away races abroad but said he was happy to race in Mexico and Canada. He also suggested the Northwest USA was potentially worth looking at.

Some of the work has already been done for Mark Miles. A race in Vancouver and one in Mexico. There's a start.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 12:26 (Ref:3630206)   #89
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
The sparse crowds and/or low TV figures happen to be a fact and there's no hiding from it. However, it does seem to be improving.

What should be done to fix it? If I was Mark Miles, I would carry out a study to establish what the existing fan base is. Which races they attend, which one's are watched on TV and I'd also look at where the potential fan base is.

Recently Penske said he didn't want to do fly away races abroad but said he was happy to race in Mexico and Canada. He also suggested the Northwest USA was potentially worth looking at.

Some of the work has already been done for Mark Miles. A race in Vancouver and one in Mexico. There's a start.
A study about what your existing fan base wants? Makes way too much sense.

Portland would be great if the hippies still let non-hybrids around the course.

Mexico and Vancouver would likely be well attended. I'll take this to the new schedule thread...
Old 4 Apr 2016, 12:40 (Ref:3630216)   #90
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
A study about what your existing fan base wants? Makes way too much sense.
It can't be that difficult, even for Mark Miles, .

Quote:
Portland would be great if the hippies still let non-hybrids around the course.

Mexico and Vancouver would likely be well attended. I'll take this to the new schedule thread...
Canada is crying out for another race and Mexico is a no brainer. Look at that crowd for the Mexican GP last year.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 13:04 (Ref:3630223)   #91
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
It can't be that difficult, even for Mark Miles, .

Canada is crying out for another race and Mexico is a no brainer. Look at that crowd for the Mexican GP last year.
Canada deserves another one, and even if without one of their own in the series, the Mexican motoring fanbase is fanatic, to say the very least and would show up in droves.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 13:14 (Ref:3630226)   #92
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Canada deserves another one, and even if without one of their own in the series, the Mexican motoring fanbase is fanatic, to say the very least and would show up in droves.
The Mayor's Canadian.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 13:19 (Ref:3630228)   #93
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
The Mayor's Canadian.
Indeed he is. I was referring to Mexico not having a driver in the series.

Even if Canada had no one in the series, they should have at least 2 races.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 13:33 (Ref:3630237)   #94
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Indeed he is. I was referring to Mexico not having a driver in the series.

Even if Canada had no one in the series, they should have at least 2 races.
Fair enough.

Canada and Mexico is where Mark Miles should immediately be looking and he has The Captain's approval.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 12:22 (Ref:3630911)   #95
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And IndyCar finally (a) clues in that viewers were confused, and (b) weighs in. Yellow for Rossi into the wall as has been mentioned above, with a teeny tiny video clip.

And the *****ing in the comments underneath it commences...

http://www.indycar.com/News/2016/04/...ssi-yellow-PIR
Old 10 Apr 2016, 08:47 (Ref:3631661)   #96
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's interesting, to say the least, that Simon Pagenaud is now your championship leader, especially after he was nowhere near the top of the points in his 1st season with Team Penske last year. Is this going to be Pagenaud vs Dixon or is Montoya also going to say something about this?

In recent years, an early points lead has always been a good indicator for who has chances of winning the IndyCar title. The sole exception to that was Sato in that season when he came 2nd at Brazil and won Long Beach and didn't really score much anymore afterwards.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 12:10 (Ref:3631693)   #97
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pagenaud might repeat Helio's 2013 season. Helio consistently finished in the top 10 and held the points lead for most of that year until a string of bad results near the end caused him to finish 2nd.

Pagenaud needs to win a couple races this year but I don't know if him and his team are good enough. Seems like he's never the best driver in any given race. At least one of the other elite drivers one ups him.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 15:05 (Ref:3631716)   #98
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Was really impressed by Chilton in Phoenix. People rubbish him because he was a pay driver in F1, but he's a solid driver who can bring the car home, which is important for the team. He may not be the fastest driver, but he showed some good pace on his debut