Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Nov 2003, 18:26 (Ref:799394)   #1
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Judd

Have Judd been able to for the most part solve their reliability issues in the enduros?
Old 30 Nov 2003, 19:02 (Ref:799428)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the Racing For Holland domes have been pretty reliable in the FIA SCC this year - and finished 6th overall at LM this year so I guess the Judd is pretty reliable yeah. Sure it aint perfect but its better than most.
Old 30 Nov 2003, 19:52 (Ref:799485)   #3
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In 2001, the Oreca Dallaras finished 5th and 6th but 16 laps behind the winning Audi.
Old 30 Nov 2003, 20:40 (Ref:799529)   #4
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
actually that was in 2002 because in 2001 the oreca dallaras were being run with chyrsler 6 liter V8's and were called the Chrysler LMP 2001. only one finished and it finished 4th overall behind the two works audis and works bentley. in 2002 they lost their chrysler backing and switched to the judd engines where they finished 5th and 6th
Old 30 Nov 2003, 21:01 (Ref:799545)   #5
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
On relaibility the answer is undoubtedly yes - At LM in 2002 7 cars started the race with Judd Engines, 5 of them finished - the two that didn't had failures not related to the engine. At the 2003 race we had 4 starters and three finished, the fourth again had a non-engine related problem (Gommendy had a late accident in the 2nd RfH Dome)
Old 30 Nov 2003, 23:15 (Ref:799648)   #6
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is not reliability or speed. The problem, as I see it, is having organization and finances that can truely compete with the likes of VAG.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 04:39 (Ref:799844)   #7
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't it have to have it's rev tuned down quite a bit between the qualifying and race to make it reliable? On Mike's site, the laptime comparison between race and qualifying time of the Audis and the Judd powered cars are staggering....
Old 1 Dec 2003, 06:04 (Ref:799890)   #8
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
i didn't belive it was possible, but Oreca first, then RFH and Courage demonstrated last two years that the Judd was a good tool for the endurance's races.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 11:33 (Ref:800213)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
didn't Oreca Dallara&Dome use the GV4??? .. the question i would put .. is the GV5 better then the GV4??? and will the Dome start to use it ???

Ciao Marco
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:13 (Ref:800302)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
didn't Oreca Dallara&Dome use the GV4??? .. the question i would put .. is the GV5 better then the GV4??? and will the Dome start to use it ???
Henri Pescarolo is interrested by the GV5, but I think RFH, Oreca and Courage are using the GV4. Or am I wrong ? :confused:
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:41 (Ref:800339)   #11
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought they were working on a diesel for LM next year, any more news on this ???
Old 1 Dec 2003, 14:03 (Ref:800353)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Doran/Lista Dallara that ran in Grand Am last year and in the 1st half of the ALMS season this year used the GV5...

The ORECA Dallaras ran the Judd GV4 in 2002...

There was an issue raised above concerning the ORECA Chrysler entry in 2001 that I wanted to touch on, for whatever it is worth:

That Chrysler engine that ORECA used was derived from a Sprint Car engine....

Sprint Car engine in the US generate plenty of power and are fairly inexpensive to build and maintain...there are plenty of builders who are familiar with tese engines and can do them inexpensively...

Sure they have to be "de-tuned" to last the 24 hours....but in their Sprint Race configuration, they push about 750 hp.....They are fuel-injected engines already that have all of the computer mapping and such set up on them for racing...

If Henri doesn't get the deals he wants with Judd or another builder, and Euros are tight, this would be a GOOD option for him to pursue...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Dec 2003, 14:59 (Ref:800389)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The RfH Domes, as well as the Goddard Reynard, have the GV4.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 15:07 (Ref:800398)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the Oreca Dallaras of xourse.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 15:13 (Ref:800400)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
And the Oreca Dallaras of xourse.
As far as I know , nobody but Doran Racing with the Dallara has raced the GV5 version .
Old 1 Dec 2003, 15:25 (Ref:800412)   #16
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by The Badger
As far as I know , nobody but Doran Racing with the Dallara has raced the GV5 version .
And Robinson in GrandAm.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 16:35 (Ref:800465)   #17
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If euros are tight Judd V10 diesels are the way to go, just think of the saving in fuel costs !!
Old 1 Dec 2003, 16:54 (Ref:800484)   #18
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
And Robinson in GrandAm.
Oh right , I wasnt aware that the robinson R&S waz a GV5 !!!
Old 1 Dec 2003, 17:25 (Ref:800511)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wasn't aware that Robinson's engine was the GV5, either...

Old 1 Dec 2003, 18:50 (Ref:800586)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
To Spearce...

The fuel costs may be lower, but you're looking at the cost of leasing the engines...

I have no idea how much it does cost to lease the Judds, but I do know that Sprint Car teams in the USA are fairly low-budget operations compared to what it would cost to run a sportscar operation..

The sprinters race lots of events, so their travel budgets are probably fairly high, but their engine costs are not...at least not when you compare it to an engine lease program...

Old 1 Dec 2003, 22:29 (Ref:800760)   #21
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sprint-car engines are tuned to run in one gear only and run on methanol. They utilize an in-and-out box, so the car is either in gear or out of gear. I know some teams have used a manual transmission for events where pitstops are possible. But I've always wondered how they would perform with a full range gear box. Would they still be capable of the same horsepower and torque? What fuels are allowed under ACO rules? My guess though, is that they are quite heavy compared to some of the modern sportscar engines. Neat idea though.

In terms of power plant options, what about the turbo charged V8 Cosworth engine used in CART?
Old 1 Dec 2003, 23:08 (Ref:800806)   #22
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
The Mopar was based on a sprint car engine of some sort, wasn't it? It could have been auseful customer engine had Chrysler persevered. That's just my personal opinion though. As for what fuels are allowed, well there is one car that runs on ethanol now; so that's legal. If you can manage to convert the engine from methanol to ethanol (not such a big deal I would imagine) you can run it in ACO competition right now. If you insist on using methanol I guess you'd have to have conversations with the ACO first.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 12:42 (Ref:801452)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Notes to Jhansen & cybersdorf:

Everything I've read has told me that the engine that powered the Chrysler LMP in 2001 (the Dallara chassis) was was derived from a MOPAR sprint car engine with modifications...I assume that it was the 410 CID engine that they reduced the bore and stroke on to make it a 6.0 L engine, but I don't know that for sure....I do know that the USAC Silver Croiwn car engines are the right displacement (about 6.0 L, but they are required to be a production iron block....the World of Outlaws engines and the USAC Sprint division engines are bigger displacement (up to the 410 CID)but I believe that they are allowed to race aluminum blocks....

On the CART engines....the engine that powers Team Nasamax IS a CART engine that Cosworth is providing the tech assistance on to tune it for endurance racing....so it's already in sportscar racing...I am not letting the Team Nasamax results affect my thinking about this engine's potential for sportscars, because they don't race the car enough to learn anything about how to tweak it and get rid of the bugs....you can't learn anything by leaving the car in the garage, and you can learn only so much on a dyno....

Finally...the father of a grade school classmate of mine years ago ran a business that rebuilt carburetors....I watched him adjust the air-fuel mixture settings on the carb for a gasoline engine and then run that engine on lighter fluid instead of gasoline....

Fuel injection systems and electronic engine management units can be programmed to run a combustion engine on a wide variety of fuels....an additional key would be to ensure that the materials that key parts were made of were able to withstand possibile higher operating temps coasued by other fuels burning hotter....but switching an engine form Methanol to Ethanol (both types of alcohol) would be simple to do, and changing it from methanol to gasoline burning would not be difficult...any engine builder could do it...

Since I have sidetracked this thread...I'm bringing it back to the Judd...

I'd like to see the GV5 used by more teams...there is a reason why Judd created it...more torque than the GV4....hope Henri goes for it...

But I think that running a Judd makes you competitive for only one award...Best Non-VAG...I would rather try something different that might give me an edge....

Old 2 Dec 2003, 14:25 (Ref:801504)   #24
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
problem is there is nothing else available .. the Pug turbo . is . lets say .. a little underpowered .. and the judd engines seams to have more . i mean they toped the speed traps in 2002 .. with four in the top 5(practice) .. so a judd engine is probably the best privateer engine out there ..

Ciao Marco
Old 2 Dec 2003, 14:37 (Ref:801513)   #25
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
the engine that powers Team Nasamax IS a CART engine that Cosworth is providing the tech assistance on to tune it for endurance racing....
....sort of.