Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Jul 2022, 17:51 (Ref:4119956)   #1
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park Gold Cup

At my now advanced age I am considering making my maiden voyage to Oulton Park from way down in Wiltshire. Any tips on where to watch and whether to buy grandstand seats would be welcome
Old 20 Jul 2022, 19:07 (Ref:4119961)   #2
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike, my own preferred spot is up on the "hill" overlooking Hislops because not only do you see the action at the chicane, but also have a view of the cars going up to Island as well.

If you are prepared to get to the circuit early, use the Knickerbrook entrance, and you can park very near where you chose to sit. The last time we went there, it was a really hot weekend, and as we arrived very early in the morning, we were able to sit right under a very large tree which gave us shade all day long.

I have no experience of any of the grandstands, so cannot give an opinion. Hope this helps.
Old 21 Jul 2022, 06:44 (Ref:4120000)   #3
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
What works for me (and I am no spring chicken ) is to enter by Lodge ; park near start/finish . Watch exit of Lodge (slidy action ) , Deer Leap for cars just feet away and Old Hall for overtaking and sideways action. Paddock access easy from there too Lodge grandstand is the best I've used there, as you get a long view of cars coming towards you . Enjoy - I am planning on Sunday - a noon start allows plenty of time to perv over the cars in the paddock .
Old 21 Jul 2022, 19:34 (Ref:4120072)   #4
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We tend to wander down to Britten's on the first day and stop at Knickerbrook on the way back. The entrance of Druids on the infield and inside of Lodge are also interesting.
During race days we general sit at Dentons where we can see the cars through Cascades and Lakeside, reappearing at Hilltop down to the chicane. It's also close to food, toilets and the car club displays.
Old 22 Jul 2022, 16:03 (Ref:4120148)   #5
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entry list. https://s.msv.com/hJ9PoO?fbclid=IwAR...1Eau5dFmkemt78

Some decent grids and some thin ones.
Old 22 Jul 2022, 17:32 (Ref:4120154)   #6
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Entry list. https://s.msv.com/hJ9PoO?fbclid=IwAR...1Eau5dFmkemt78

Some decent grids and some thin ones.
Thanks to everyone for their advice but there are just too many thin grids to justify the 400 mile round trip. It’s a weird timetable too - the restrictions on Sunday morning racing really screw things up. Surprised the Masters grids are so dull - more signs of the times. Sorry to miss the F2s and Special Saloons though
Old 22 Jul 2022, 19:20 (Ref:4120162)   #7
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Surprised the Masters grids are so dull - more signs of the times. Sorry to miss the F2s and Special Saloons though
Along with the Masters historic at Brands this meeting seems to be a shadow of its' former self. As others have commented, Oulton is a wonderful spectator circuit with so many good viewing spots but like yourself being a southerner it is more than a bit of a stretch as are Cadwell and Croft. I've only managed to get to Oulton once about 20 years ago for British GT meeting after doing some work on my daughters house in West Yorkshire and getting back home to Sussex after a days' racing was a bit of an ordeal.
Old 22 Jul 2022, 17:43 (Ref:4120156)   #8
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
You really should make a visit to Oulton sometime, Mike - as a northerner I'm biassed, but it really is one of the best circuits in the country, and one where you can spectate in a wide range of places - easily changing place between races if you wish.
Old 25 Jul 2022, 21:48 (Ref:4120508)   #9
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
You really should make a visit to Oulton sometime, Mike - as a northerner I'm biassed, but it really is one of the best circuits in the country, and one where you can spectate in a wide range of places - easily changing place between races if you wish.
I weakened. I raided the housekeeping, plucked up my courage and decided it was time to go to Oulton ParK. As said elsewhere un-silenced F2 cars are a seductive temptation. Hotel booked. Tickets printed. Anticipation high. The M6 awaits.
Old 25 Jul 2022, 22:16 (Ref:4120509)   #10
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I weakened. I raided the housekeeping, plucked up my courage and decided it was time to go to Oulton ParK. As said elsewhere un-silenced F2 cars are a seductive temptation. Hotel booked. Tickets printed. Anticipation high. The M6 awaits.
As someone who lives even further south than your good self Mike and used to make the journey up to Lancashire on a fairly regular basis (yes I know Oulton Park is in Cheshire) if you're going up on Friday leave bright and early. The most recent journey up the M6 my wife and I made was to Rhyl in North Wales. We left Weymouth at 9.00 A.M. and reached Rhyl 10 hours later having spent most of the time going through roadworks at 50 mph ! Also with a wonderful entry isn't the Historic Grand Prix Car Association race going to be the highlight of the weekend ?
Old 26 Jul 2022, 06:55 (Ref:4120526)   #11
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
As someone who lives even further south than your good self Mike and used to make the journey up to Lancashire on a fairly regular basis (yes I know Oulton Park is in Cheshire) if you're going up on Friday leave bright and early. The most recent journey up the M6 my wife and I made was to Rhyl in North Wales. We left Weymouth at 9.00 A.M. and reached Rhyl 10 hours later having spent most of the time going through roadworks at 50 mph ! Also with a wonderful entry isn't the Historic Grand Prix Car Association race going to be the highlight of the weekend ?
I know the M6 of old so I will be on the road by 6.30 and hoping for the best. The HGPCA race looks good, as does the HRDC race but there is something about the sound of the F2 cars that reaches my soul.
Old 26 Jul 2022, 07:28 (Ref:4120531)   #12
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Quote:
I know the M6 of old so I will be on the road by 6.30 and hoping for the best. The HGPCA race looks good, as does the HRDC race but there is something about the sound of the F2 cars that reaches my soul.
Having been to Thruxton's Easter Monday Formula Two meeting on numerous occasions I know what you mean. Wish I could join you on the slog up the M6. Have a nice time !
Old 25 Jul 2022, 15:26 (Ref:4120476)   #13
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Me too - Croft is sometimes regarded as a circuit too far , as is Cadwell. To be fair , as many southern racers travel on Fridays , it can be traffic hell . I tend to be a very early starter, so circuits such as Brands or even Thruxton are a few minutes under 4 hours from home in North Yorkshire , and very straightforward runs . That said , on one occasion , duty meant I needed to be at Oulton Park by 4pm on a Friday -nightmare, a two hour journey took nearly six hours ...

Anyway , tickets now bought for Sunday , thinnish grids or not - the siren call of an F2 car proving too much of a temptation!
Old 28 Jul 2022, 07:54 (Ref:4120707)   #14
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People talking about the roadworks on the M6, are they from the South or the North? I was planning on smoking up the M6 via Birmingham early on saturday morning. If it is all at 50mph then I will go a different way
Old 28 Jul 2022, 08:35 (Ref:4120714)   #15
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
People talking about the roadworks on the M6, are they from the South or the North? I was planning on smoking up the M6 via Birmingham early on saturday morning. If it is all at 50mph then I will go a different way
I must admit the last time I went up the M6 and hit all the roadworks was five years ago but it is always worth checking to see what the situation is before you set off so you don't get snarled up like we did.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 14:16 (Ref:4120755)   #16
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was still snarled up both North and South for around 20 miles through 50mph zones 8 months ago on my way to Scotland, seems to be a permanent feature!
Old 28 Jul 2022, 21:36 (Ref:4120799)   #17
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just came down the M6 today and no roadworks, although there was a long stretch of 60 limit because of a vehicle stopped in lane 1........they didn't close off the lane, though!
Old 29 Jul 2022, 20:24 (Ref:4120886)   #18
Mike Crow
Racer

Had a great day at Oulton today. Sailed up the motorways with no delays at all. Love the circuit. Fabulous atmosphere in the paddock. Spent the day wandering the circuit. Even a small grid like Aurora looks spectacular. Planning to spend tomorrow at Knickerbrook and then Sunday on the other side at Lodge and Old Hall. Delighted I made the effort to go
Old 29 Jul 2022, 23:06 (Ref:4120896)   #19
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Glad we helped you decide to go Enjoy!
Old 30 Jul 2022, 20:49 (Ref:4121045)   #20
brands
Veteran

Fewer red flags today than Friday, which had a lot.
Track looked very slippery in the morning with rain showers keeping the track damp.
Racing was OK but with several runaway leaders.
Modsport-special saloons grid is a great size and an eclectic mix.
Old 31 Jul 2022, 09:31 (Ref:4121133)   #21
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Modsport-special saloons grid is a great size and an eclectic mix.
Some really crazy machinery in the mod sports/specials, really admire the ingenuity of the entrants. So pleased that you managed to make it to Oulton, certainly a worthwhile trip, enjoy.
Old 31 Jul 2022, 10:50 (Ref:4121145)   #22
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some excellent racing yesterday, looking forward
to today’s action from 12.00. Visited Delta HQ too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8F3817AA-81D4-4D8A-9729-885457F95C60.jpeg (4.75 MB, 12 views)
Old 31 Jul 2022, 10:59 (Ref:4121148)   #23
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Smith View Post
Some excellent racing yesterday, looking forward
to today’s action from 12.00. Visited Delta HQ too.
Great stuff Malcolm ! Looking forward to seeing plenty of pictures.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 06:00 (Ref:4121318)   #24
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Lovely day out, and some very good racing - especially the CSCC Special Saloons - the big crowd must have fired them up as it was more elbows out than usual. I cringed at the Esprit's rejoining after a spin at Lodge , only a last second avoidance by Baby Bertha saving a big shunt. Zakspeed Capri looked amazing on its brief appearance .

The Sixties F1s were sublime, even better than the F2 cars. Only the Sixties ' Saloon (sorry 'Touring' ) car race became dull - some great racing, hard driven cars but an hour long race for about 15 cars ? I'd have preferred an 20minute race and an FF1600/FF2000 race instead.

But minor quibbles apart , a very good day in perfect conditions. And a very quiet drive home -I'd heard there was some ball game on the telly ?
Old 1 Aug 2022, 07:49 (Ref:4121328)   #25
brands
Veteran

The gold cup meeting was mixed, as it normally is for this spectator.
The circuit itself is the star of the meeting, I preferred this years format moving away from a glorified HSCC club event. The Alan Mann race didn't work and the VSCC and 50s races needed better grids.
The modsports/special saloons and the Gold Cup races were the on track highlights for me.
Crowds seemed similar to previous years and there was off track interest for the people who are non motorsport fans.
As in previous years the worst part of the long weekend was the number of morons in the campsite who have no regard for the marshals and other fellow campers.