Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Aug 2015, 13:15 (Ref:3568244)   #126
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Have been brave and booked ferry for Spa! Going out Wednesday morning so hopefully will give us time for any delays!
Think that's a fairly safe bet, Moose. Delays on Eurotunnel and Ferries happen regardless, so always best to build in a cushion if you can. There are of course also busy periods and quieter periods, and with freight during weekdays it's almost like rush hour- avoid that and you'll get a boat quicker. Busiest period from Dover is usually late afternoon to early evening, when all the mainland truckers have done their drop and are going home!

My favourite reason for ferry delays is 'operational reasons'- that covers anything from check-in system crashed to a boat embedded in the harbour wall.......
Old 13 Oct 2015, 16:33 (Ref:3582529)   #127
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Seems Calais port problems won't go away! Today it appears that 'Security' decided to go on strike, resulting in 900 trucks being jammed into the port holding area (good sport for migrants in there!), and queues on approach dual carriageways.

Not sure exactly what function 'Security' carry out, perhaps they operate the sheds where trucks are checked for excess heart beats etc? Last week I arrived at the port at 0540, and they weren't in operation despite heavy freight traffic. It was 0600 before anyone started to move, so maybe there is more Union discontent......

Old 13 Oct 2015, 19:28 (Ref:3582557)   #128
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite not featuring on the daily news, the problems haven't gone away. One of our guys queued at Folkestone for 8 hours today, anything from 3-6 hours is now the norm.

This raised a smile in the office...roads around Rouen were gridlocked today because circus and fairground workers were protesting. I'd have paid money to see that!!!
Old 14 Oct 2015, 05:30 (Ref:3582681)   #129
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just being reported on Sky, immigrants broke into and entered a truck, they soon bailed out though.Big cage with an enormous Polar Bear whom they had woken up was not too friendly.
Mike, start a Polar Bear rental company.
Old 14 Oct 2015, 06:01 (Ref:3582686)   #130
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Just being reported on Sky, immigrants broke into and entered a truck, they soon bailed out though.Big cage with an enormous Polar Bear whom they had woken up was not too friendly.
Mike, start a Polar Bear rental company.
You beat me to it- that was just on Beeb as well! Loose Rottweiler in the back would be enough (or even Jack Russell), methinks....

The Calais 'industrial action' is continuing today, it seems. Lucky the majority heading for Portugal this weekend will be leaving from the south coast.... And agree, Colin, I queued for 2 hours at Dover on way to Ricard other week, and believe Delta had an even longer wait next day on route to Dijon. Just to show that when all is working as intended- on way back from Spa last month, from approaching Calais inspection sheds to dockside took 5 minutes- at 0900 on a Monday morning!
Old 21 Jan 2016, 13:19 (Ref:3606836)   #131
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
http://www.dover-express.co.uk/BREAK...ail/story.html

According to travel news this morning, still delays caused by 'industrial action'!

New year, same old problems.....
Old 21 Jan 2016, 13:40 (Ref:3606839)   #132
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our man this morning started north of Paris at 03.00...arrived Coquelles 04.55...arrived Folkestone 08.25 so approx 2 hour delay which is what we call a good result nowadays.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 07:39 (Ref:3607530)   #133
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So who's willing to risk Dover Calais as things are now!
Old 24 Jan 2016, 09:36 (Ref:3607545)   #134
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So who's willing to risk Dover Calais as things are now!
It's getting ridiculous but you have to feel sorry for the truck drivers that have to run the gauntlet of these people every day
Old 24 Jan 2016, 09:38 (Ref:3607546)   #135
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
As we have a booked crossing in a couple of weeks I'm hoping yesterday was a one-off. There was a rally & march in Calais town for migrants and supporters, presumably many of the police normally detailed to the port approach were in town instead, and a bunch of opportunistic migrants had a go....
Old 24 Jan 2016, 10:48 (Ref:3607554)   #136
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm also going across the Eurotunnel in a couple of weeks, on way to first Retromobile visit, hopefully should be ok running the gauntlet as I'm not towing or in a truck.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 10:55 (Ref:3607556)   #137
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't booked my ferry yet for LeMans, what's Portsmouth-LeHavre like anyone?

It's my worst nightmare arriving Dover with wife and two young children, waiting 5hours etc due to all this immigrant crap.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 11:42 (Ref:3607574)   #138
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
I haven't booked my ferry yet for LeMans, what's Portsmouth-LeHavre like anyone?

It's my worst nightmare arriving Dover with wife and two young children, waiting 5hours etc due to all this immigrant crap.
I suppose the only downside is the 6 to 8 hour crossing, especially if it's rough, but I think you may save a lot of that time in reduced driving once on the other side. Portsmouth to Ouistreham might be a slightly better bet
Old 24 Jan 2016, 15:26 (Ref:3607620)   #139
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post

Get an overnight Ferry. The kids will love it. Le Mans is only a couple of hours from the port .
Old 24 Jan 2016, 15:40 (Ref:3607624)   #140
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£108 return for Dover-Calais, £168 channel tunnel return, £360 return Portsmouth-Caen.

I can get to Le Mans from Leeds in our insignia on a full tank plus I like drive the whole journey in one go so I'm liking the tunnel idea. We usually set off at 10pm on Friday get there just after midday on the Saturday (Calais-Dover ferry).
Old 24 Jan 2016, 16:01 (Ref:3607628)   #141
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newhaven - Dieppe is worth a look.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3607675)   #142
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget the ferries in June will be full of football types.