Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Nov 2011, 08:04 (Ref:2991142)   #1
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Monte Carlo Rally

Well entries are out, and we've managed to get a Glasgow start slot for the 924 Turbo so we're pretty chuffed.
However, dawn this morning I've realised that we actually know VERY little about how to survive the rally itself!
Anyone on here done it?? Surely JR?
List of questions that came to my panicked mind instantly:

1. Tyres! Intending to set off on a set of 4 winters and have 2 studded in the car and another 4 in the support van, but every video I see shows large numbers of studded tyres being thrown onto cars? Is this enough?
2. accomodation in Valence? Do we know where the cars are kept so I can try and get a hotel close to the o/n halt?
3. Seem to have a huge amount of time to get to the Channel crossing... are there passage controls across the UK? Do we get to chose Eurotunnel or Ferry?
4. What other equipment should we be packing? Snow shovels/ladders?
5. All the videos I see the cars appear to have tomtoms on the windscreens??? Why?

HELP!

RickP
Old 25 Nov 2011, 10:09 (Ref:2991166)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
my only contribution is to say that SeaFrance have just gone broke and stopped Channel sailings this week so beware possible delays..
Old 25 Nov 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2991168)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Booked the tunnel last week as Sea France announced going into admin,lots of room available.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2991541)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
my only contribution is to say that SeaFrance have just gone broke and stopped Channel sailings this week so beware possible delays..
They went bang about three years ago! Finally put themselves out of our misery then.

This is not helping Rick though. Oh well,
Old 26 Nov 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2991547)   #5
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
P & O - Breakfast in Langans Brasserie. Nearly a good as Mallory Park but with waiter service - no riff raf and all the comfort of Club Class without paying the premium on top of the standard fare.
The only way to go!
Old 26 Nov 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2991553)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Langans-Not on all P and O boats.

Try getting something if you are on early boat from Calais.

They have gone downhill fast in last couple of years which you would have thought difficult for floating tubs.

Norfolk Line is great if you enjoy waiting ,what seems like hours,to discharge on arrival.

Sea France were cheap and easy.

With Euro Tunnel running below capacity and Sea Chance folding gives a good indication that the European economy is shoot.

As for Rally.

Can't really help as do not do ,and have never done ,winter rally stuff.

A lot to cold!
Old 26 Nov 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2991585)   #7
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Norfolk Line is fantastic and they do some great deals - or certainly did before DFDS took them over - we'll have to see if this changes.
Boats are really modern and the only downside is that Dover to Dunkirk is 40 mins or so more than P&O to Calais - but it's nearer to Spa when you get there!
Old 26 Nov 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2991646)   #8
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have done the rally five or six times, I think the last time in 2006.
In answer to your questions:
1. I have done the whole rally on a set of studded tyres, with an Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint (not very high powered), but as long as the countries you cross allow studs (UK?) you can use them, even in the dry they are fine (and fun!). I never lost a single stud (they are tiny anyway). I had no assistance, we would just stop for fuel at a pump and avoid changing tyres as much as possible. There is always snow at Col de l’Echarasson as it is a private road and the dreadful snow ploughs avoid it. And Col de Menee is fun (I rolled there the last time, hit the mountain on the right – well it was better than going over the cliff on the left!). But the car kept going to the end of the rally once some spectators had put us back on our wheels! Good cars Alfas! Non-studded winter tyres should be fine but perhaps studs are a bit safer in case of panic braking on ice!
2. Valence – they have not published details yet but you can ask the ACM now where the parc ferme is (ask Patricia at the ACM)
3. Most of your questions can be answered by looking at the road book! You can download it from the ACM site.Your first CH is at Calais, so this means you can cross the UK as fast as you want, you just have to check in on time at the CH. The earlier you get there the more you can rest before checking in.
4. A snow shovel is a good idea, also snow chains (I have never had to use them but keep them as insurance), a triangle etc. What on earth would you need a ladder for? A good jack that doesnt sink into the snow sounds a good idea as well. Get a cheap outside temperature gauge as well that warns you when the temperature drops below freezing. At night you wont see black ice, but it will be there!
5. If you read the rules you will note you have already been asked for your credit card details to guarantee you will hand back the GPS – this is what you see in the videos. It is called a TRIPY and tells you where to turn, where the next obstacle is and so on. It did not exist when I last did the rally, I used to have to use maps (remember those?). Of course now most of the serious competitors go over the whole route in advance taking notes! You have to do that if you want to have a chance of winning, but if you are like me just enjoy the rally as an adventure. Try to keep to the set speeds, it adds a lot of fun (especially when the going gets tough). I think I had the greatest shots of adrenalin in my life doing this rally.
I am sure you will have a great time.
Marcus
Old 28 Nov 2011, 09:24 (Ref:2992327)   #9
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fabulous response Marcus, greatly appreciated!

Any recommendations on make of studded tyres? Will need to take a set of winters with me anyway, as studs illegal in the UK. Had considered a cheap external temp gauge, will track one down now!
Calais has to be the destination, guess secret will be to book with however is prepared to let us show up early without penalty, which has to be the ferry I guess?
Managed to locate a few hotel rooms in Valence (which I can cancel up until the day which might be handy if we don't make it that far!!!).
I thought the TRIPY was just a GPS locater, didn't realise there would actually be a screen that gave helpful info! Coooool. Need to make sure there is an appropriate 12v supply for that.
Think we're going to be virtually last on the road, so hoping worst of the snow will have cleared by the time we get on the stages, but that probably leaves us packed ice... hence studs...

Looking at the schedule, us Glasgow starters have been a bit stitched up I think, we are actually going to end up with 25 hours on the road and then rolling over the start-ramp at Reims at the back of the pack of guys starting from there... who are going to be a lot fresher!!!

Really quite excited about the whole adventure, long way outside of my usual racing although I guess snow looks a lot like the Bonneville Salt lake!

Will be back with more questions I'm sure! But appreciate help so far! (I'll avoid Sea France!!)
Cheers
Old 29 Nov 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2992994)   #10
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the Alfa there is not much choice as the tyre size is rather antique - 155x15. You probably have more choice with the Porsche. I always used Vredestein winter tyres - they have holes already made to fit the studs and they were great, especially the first year - they get a bit hard afterwards. You can have a set without studs and one with - even without studs they hold on very nicely. The race order doesn't really matter - it is a question of luck. Sometimes you are behind a complete idiot, sometimes not, and you have to smile politely at them when you get to the next CH. You only ever really see the few cars in front of you and a few behind. You meet most people at the party afterwards!

Your ferry route is Folkestone to Calais, yes ferry is best and more “period” than the train.

The TRIPY I used this year on the Alternative Energy rally and it shows distances and arrows etc, like a roadbook - except in the special stages where it shows you nothing - so you need to prepare ahead for those (you can see a lot of detail on the Michelin maps). Presumably you have a Retrotrip and average speed tables (or an electronic version). If you have a problem along the way you can always catch the rally later on, you just get penalised (but check the rules carefully, I think you may need to call race control to say you have not retired).

And don’t forget you are on open roads so you can meet traffic – some of the locals are great, some of them less so and seem to take great pleasure in getting in the way! I think for the last night the organizers make sure there is no traffic going the wrong way. It costs far too much to close the roads and it is already very complicated getting authorizations for the rally from all the different departments you cross.

I was looking at the itinerary – the special stages are wonderful, I am getting rather jealous! The Burzet/Ardeche section (in Valence/Valence) is mystical! And you will get a very nice and very sticky tart (the edible type) at Antraigues. Moulinet/La Bollene during the last night is of course the famous Turini stage.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:04 (Ref:2993320)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope we get regular updates from Rick during the event. If not then, having been given this taster, the least he can do is provide a full report on completion.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2993451)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Mr Mallett becoming interested in Regularities .Amazed!

The navigator has to be comfortable with his job and have basic knowledge of what he is doing then you should have no problems.There will be a top ten/fifteen that are very good and then a bunch of triers and the rest will be in the event for the jolly.
Most will start with the intention of doing it properly but then fall away as the penalty sheets arrive.Some will run the stages as though they are on a speed rally which is no problem as long as they do not effect the cars that are doing it properly.These are people who cannot be bothered to get a license or buy racing P J's.Pain's in the arse!

It's difficult despite what the speed rally boys tell you but follow the rules and you will enjoy it and may surprise yourselves
Old 30 Nov 2011, 12:41 (Ref:2993462)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Have a mate who is a proper navigator who is looking for a seat in both Monte and Tour Britannia.

Proper bloke.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2993464)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Should have read Tour Auto not Tour Britannia.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 09:39 (Ref:2993866)   #15
Veteran

England
Zurich
Mr Mallett, I think the daily blog and maybe video uploads if technology works will be on the EFG Motorracing site... hope people will follow on there... they support my historic racing in return for the blog...

Take a look at the last few adventures:

http://www.efgmotorracing.com/index....peed-week.html

http://www.efgmotorracing.com/index....d-day-123.html

http://www.efgmotorracing.com/index....s-classic.html

John I might be short a co-pilot for the Tour Brit if I enter, but Monte and Tour Auto are pre-committed but I'll keep in touch.

Marcus, the supplementary regulations suggest keeping the Tripy in the glovebox "It shows nothing of use to the driver or co-pilot".... so I'm still a bit fooled, maybe people really are using TomToms to "see" the road ahead... seems like a cunning plan if you can get away with it...
And I think the Folkestone ferry used to go to Bolougne when I lived there! Think if I want a ferry to Calais I'll need to go to Dover, agree it's more "in period" and I think I'll need the sleep!

Cheers again for all help
Rick
Old 1 Dec 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2993998)   #16
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Impressive stuff! yes the salt flats do look a bit like the Ardeche when the snow blizzard is blowing! They have long poles by the side of the road, so you know where the road is and the field starts!
I have the whole story on the TRIPY, from the horse's mouth so to speak. The one you get for this rally is not the same as I had on my rally earlier this year. The one you get has a blank screen and is used for tracking the car. They fit the antenna in Glasgow but you get the Tripy when you get to Monaco the first time. You need an electric connection (all described in the bumph).
What you see in the photos are indeed GPS - you can use one (your own obviously) but you need to take it off when you get into parc ferme as apparently they were not used in period and look out of place! In fact instrumentation is free as long as you hide anything electronic in parc ferme. They gave up trying to police it. And you can cross to Calais any way you like.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2994110)   #17
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
And you can cross to Calais any way you like.
Would have been fun to fly in from Lydd or Manston in a Bristol Freighter.

Those were the days ....
Old 2 Dec 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2994463)   #18
Veteran

England
Zurich
So need to source TomTom and a Bristol Freighter... check.

Love it!
Cheers
Rick