Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Apr 2022, 10:48 (Ref:4108483)   #51
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
13 Group C cars for qually, 1 had accident/breakage.

Seems to be more cars on Demo than actually racing.

The XJR11 broke on its outlap.
Old 30 Apr 2022, 11:14 (Ref:4108484)   #52
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only 13 Group C? Were the rest? If I hadn't bought my ticket n hotel for tonight I'd be tempted to switch to going to brands tomorrow. Rather disappointing
Old 30 Apr 2022, 11:17 (Ref:4108485)   #53
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The AMR1, C11 and XJR11 are display.

The XJR9, 12, NPT90 and 956 all not here.
Old 30 Apr 2022, 16:43 (Ref:4108499)   #54
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
10 finishers in the group C, now that's got me thinking if it's worth going tomorrow. Especially as the weather forecast not so great. How was it for people there?
Old 30 Apr 2022, 16:48 (Ref:4108500)   #55
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Seems Group C was a decent race
Old 30 Apr 2022, 17:35 (Ref:4108508)   #56
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Seems Group C was a decent race
The noise at the start of the race was fantastic!
A few pics...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00101.jpg   DSC00060.jpg   DSC00080.jpg  

DSC00088.jpg   DSC00064.jpg  
Old 30 Apr 2022, 17:51 (Ref:4108511)   #57
Willmaz223
Veteran

Top 3 cars covered by a second with one lap to go till the Minshaw/Keen Jag had a gearbox problem.
Old 1 May 2022, 08:48 (Ref:4108547)   #58
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Seems the Pre War race may be decent looking at qualifying times
PBE with Fred Wakeman in Nash on
Pole followed closely by Gareth Burnett in no supercharged Alta and Michael Birch in Talbot 105 with that colourful helmet!
Bit of a gap then ten cars close together led by Team Halusa
Old 1 May 2022, 10:43 (Ref:4108556)   #59
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Watching the race now. Sorry MB didn't take the start but GB ab-so-lutely flying and making the race his own.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 1 May 2022, 12:32 (Ref:4108566)   #60
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Watching the race now. Sorry MB didn't take the start but GB ab-so-lutely flying and making the race his own.

Michael’s car pulled out as could have been problem and more important to be saved for Le Mans.
Gareth and Alta went very well
Sorted the car over winter without touching engine , gearbox etc
It was still being effected by things that happened on Flying Scotsman so seems the Pace gang have got to bottom of that!
We should not be surprised that the rally effected the car?
Good job!
Old 1 May 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4108582)   #61
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One for Bauble and two for me [IMG[]

Old 1 May 2022, 14:59 (Ref:4108583)   #62
midgetman
Veteran

One person I have seen here is John Chatham. Rushing around on a mobility scooter, watching DD300.

Old 1 May 2022, 17:03 (Ref:4108594)   #63
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It seemed to be going well in Elva in Pall Mall
One of those could have been a top four
Unfortunately the car was hit up the backside on first lap which led to
progressive damage of rear suspension but by the time Rich Bradley did a few quick laps he decided to stop
Turned out to be the correct decision and now to find a car in paddock with a bashed front end!
Old 1 May 2022, 18:35 (Ref:4108612)   #64
midgetman
Veteran

I didn't realise the Elva was yours. Delightful car. There was a TVR came in bonnet less, maybe that was the culprit.

Old 1 May 2022, 18:41 (Ref:4108613)   #65
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps not for the first time, the DHF has been something of a curate's egg. I guess it depends on what you are seeking from the event. If it is the broader idea of a place to drive your classic car to, chat to fellow enthusiasts against the backdrop of racing, then it probably meets your needs. If you are of a more purist nature (as I am) just wanting to see decent sized grids and good racing, it is perhaps less successful.
I fully appreciate that there are considerable challenges in setting up any public event
in the current climate and had I not had an MSV season ticket would probably have felt (from a racing perspective) a little short-changed by the lack of a GT40 race and the meagre (but enjoyable) Group C field.
Regardless, Group C did bring back some good memories - Flickr galleries can be found here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums
Old 1 May 2022, 19:14 (Ref:4108623)   #66
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Elva is owned by Michael Birch and now I’m old and knackered we all run our cars as one team. He has been a mate for forty plus years and started being involved in Historics when him and I shared my Historic Rally cars then he started racing using my Talbots. From that interest got him to buy an Alfa which he used in Snetterton 10ths race and the Elva 160 GT which we found squirrelled away in a garage in Paul Ricard.
From that small beginning he’s now very involved as I bow out !
Old 1 May 2022, 21:36 (Ref:4108642)   #67
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Enjoyed today.
Tourers had some lovely cars and a decent race.
The Lola in the Group C race was a joy to listen to as it wailed around the circuit. From the inside of the Old Paddock you could keep track of it the whole way round the lap.
Thanks to live TSL timing we could understand and enjoy the 3 hour race.

I'm not sure 8 races over two days is the way forward and hope they revert to Friday qually and two full days of racing again.
Old 2 May 2022, 06:16 (Ref:4108647)   #68
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Very taken with the Elva - it was very quick indeed at Goodwood MM . Each time I see it, my brain says 'Ligier'.

The TVR had its own accident at the entry to the chicane - which is now the only place at Donington I can be in the same postcode as the track
Old 2 May 2022, 07:17 (Ref:4108649)   #69
midgetman
Veteran

Thanks for the info on the TVR incident, although I was only a few yards away I didn't realise what had happened!

I did enjoy the meeting. Yesterday the attendance seemed sparse which was a great shame it deserves more.

A highlight for me was Alex Brundle in the Capri, he was really on it. Nice to have a chat with Delta and to meet Percy.

It was my first car race for some time where I actually wished I was driving something. It was also my first visit to Donington since I watched Renault World Series there when they did the free entry, the circuit has improved so much under MSV.

Old 2 May 2022, 10:59 (Ref:4108654)   #70
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple from the Pall Mall...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00820.jpg   DSC00904.jpg  
Old 2 May 2022, 11:09 (Ref:4108655)   #71
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
Having only been there on Sunday so can only go on what I seen, that will be last Donington Historic I attended unfortunately. Everything from the number of car clubs, race grids and races just felt tired and poor turn out. Maybe missing a year and re evaluation of the event needed
Old 2 May 2022, 12:49 (Ref:4108659)   #72
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think one of the problems is the plethora of Historic racing. This year's grids were disappointing but some of the racing was terrific. The sight and sound of the Lola was amazing, the Halusa's had a dreadful weekend and I'm sure this was the first Historic race meeting I've been to where there wasn't a Mini on track.
Maybe a revamp is needed, time to try something different perhaps but we still enjoyed our weekend's marshalling. Was it the best Historic Festival ? No Will we go back next year ? Yes.
Old 2 May 2022, 14:58 (Ref:4108668)   #73
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
A couple from the Pall Mall...
Beautiful Elva GT 160, seen it racing at Goodwood a couple of times and an equally beautiful if less rare Lotus Elite, always stunning in it's simplicity.
Old 2 May 2022, 15:06 (Ref:4108671)   #74
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Powell View Post
I think one of the problems is the plethora of Historic racing.
I'd suggest more specifically a plethora of 1960s historic racing. That particular market is saturated in the UK, IMHO. I would like to see - would pay to see - more from the 80s, 90s, 00s. There's literally decades of motorsport history which is represented only by occasional grids at events primarily centred on the same handful of iconic marques from 60 years ago.
Old 2 May 2022, 15:10 (Ref:4108672)   #75
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I'd suggest more specifically a plethora of 1960s historic racing. That particular market is saturated in the UK, IMHO. I would like to see - would pay to see - more from the 80s, 90s, 00s. There's literally decades of motorsport history which is represented only by occasional grids at events primarily centred on the same handful of iconic marques from 60 years ago.
This.