View Poll Results: Juan or Kimi: The final 2 races
JPM 2 KR 0 4 22.22%
JPM 1 KR 1 11 61.11%
JPM 0 KR 2 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5 Oct 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1424232)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last two races - Juan or Kimi?

Just as an adjunct to the earlier thread about the prospects for Juan vs Kimi in 2006 - how do we see it going for just the last two remaining races? Personally, I reckon Juan is on top at the moment - if only by a little. I wonder if Kimi will let the disappointment get him down, or if it will spur him on. I also wonder about how Kimi will view reliability issues - he is going to be a hair less inclined to look after the car, perhaps, now - now that he doesn't need any favours out of the car as it were.

What do you reckon?
Old 5 Oct 2005, 08:38 (Ref:1424235)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's impossible to separate them, really.

It could go either way, and neither would be a surprise.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1424238)   #3
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the Brazilian GP on 2004 was the first battle and Juan was on top, but at the start of this year he wasn't.
I don't think the last 2 races of this year can effect next year.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1424242)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Things were pretty even in the first two races of this year, it was only JPM's shoulder injury which caused him to lose momentum (although he was stll ahead in the championship after Imola, due to Kimi's car failure there). As it stands JPM has the psychological advantage of having outpaced Kimi for most of the last 8 or so races, he is off the leash and can push as much as needed, and he is fighting for 3rdin the championship ahead of Michael, so I think he will continue the current trend.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1424247)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could someone correct my thread title tyyping please?

Hi k-b - nice to see you back. Watch out for splinters, sitting on that fence.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1424248)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sitting on the fence - I genuinely believe it could go either way.

You did ask what we expected to happen, not what we hoped would happen.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1424258)   #7
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Monty seems to be fling all over the racetrack!
So... Montoya
Old 5 Oct 2005, 10:08 (Ref:1424293)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Alright, k-b - only pulling your leg - which I guess is a little dangerous... I might knock you off that fence!

My (metaphorical) money's on Montoya.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1424298)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe too that it is too close to call.

It's a pleasant surprise to see JPM managing to match, and even beat Kimi, in recent races.

At Brazil, Kimi could have won as much as JPM. Traffic made Kimi pit a lap or two earlier than he'd like, and that made him come out JUST behind JPM. But also, Kimi made the crucial mistake in qualifyings.

With the pressure of WDC off Kimi, and with JPM not having to think of his teammate's position, i'm sure both guys would perform even better and doing what they do best - out to win.

But it does signal a strong sign in drivers pairing. JPM has caught up over the season with an improving Alonso. Renault on the otherhand, Fisi is still struggling to match Alonso, while Ferrari and Toyota both seem to have one hand tied behind their back.

Mclaren, followed by BAR, have quite a strong driver's pairing. Ferrari and Renault are slightly lagging behind due to the disparity between their star and 2nd driver.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1424304)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Mclaren, followed by BAR, have quite a strong driver's pairing. Ferrari and Renault are slightly lagging behind due to the disparity between their star and 2nd driver.
BAR? You sure? Jenson is doing a terrific job, but I wouldn't say the same of Taku.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1424318)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
JPM was mighty at Suzuka in 2003 until his engine gave up, don't remember him doing much special in 2004 though...?
Old 5 Oct 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1424387)   #12
EHS
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, Westchester, NY
EHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, I believe Montoya has won two of the last three races.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1424389)   #13
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it depends on qualifying; whoever is ahead, would probably be ahead at the race. But, I would like Monty to beat Kimi at Suzuka and Kimi to beat Monty at Shanghai. It would add a bit of spice to next season
Old 5 Oct 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1424404)   #14
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Minardi are gonna want to shine in their last couple of races, and will do a surprise 2-race engine deal with Mercedes, where Albers and Doornbos will outshine both Monty and Kimi...

*wakes up*.... oops lol

Seriously, JPM's form would suggest to me that he would do very well, but Kimi may be on damaged limitations and will want to make the gap to Alonso look as minimal as he can, and finish a frustrating season on a high - I'm gonna go for Kimi
Old 5 Oct 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1424427)   #15
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's a coin flip really ... *ping* ... coin's in the air
heads Juan, tails Kimi
whoops, the coin landed in the carpet, stuck straight up
i guess that means Kimi wins one and Juan wins t'other
i'll consult my magic 8-ball later for more clarity
Old 5 Oct 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1424431)   #16
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
My (metaphorical) money's on Montoya.
Surprisingly, mine's on Kimi
Old 5 Oct 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1424452)   #17
Glen
Veteran

You say tomayto, I say tomarto…
Old 5 Oct 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1424453)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Mine's on either or both cars not finishing in either race.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 14:16 (Ref:1424454)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
As a well known presenter, shortly to be replaced says:

"Juan's the man!"

The momentum is with him, but i'd also go along with Suzuka favouring him and China favouring Kimi perhaps?
Old 5 Oct 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1424459)   #20
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe Kimi is better overall, but since we're talking about only two races, statistics won't help a lot. So it could go either way really
Old 5 Oct 2005, 14:28 (Ref:1424462)   #21
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
You say tomayto, I say tomarto…
Nope... I say "tomate"

P.S. to 10/10th: I love some of those new smileys. thks
Old 5 Oct 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1424469)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Mine's on either or both cars not finishing in either race.

Did you know McLaren is the only team to have scored points in every race this year (bar Indy)?
Old 5 Oct 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1424484)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Did you know McLaren is the only team to have scored points in every race this year (bar Indy)?
and people say they have reliability issues!
Old 5 Oct 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1424492)   #24
Glen
Veteran

They have had a habit of blowing engines in practice, rather than the race - so a DNF might not be as likely as a finish compromised by a ten place penalty. On car speed alone they should deliver two more 1-2s - we shall see.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1424494)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Indeed - the overall level of reliability demonstrated by McLaren this season has not been as good as it should have been - but across the two cars, the points table tells us the speed/reliability balance has been better than that of any other team.