Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3845520)   #3201
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
100% agree with @Akrapovic

@Casper, home charging and fast charging will be the main hurdle for faster EV adoption, meanwhile hybrids will be replacing normal ICE cars, because Hybrid can be a mechanical simplification for meeting future emissions standards. To put it differently, NA petrol hybrid will be (or already is) cheaper than turbo diesel, with DPF, SCR and double clutch transmission. Hybrids basically are a future ICE cars, for people living in homes without dedicated parking spaces and charging infrastructure.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3845521)   #3202
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Wow, how off topic has this gone? Maybe we need another thread in another part of the forum to discuss the future EV/Hybrid era, and leave this thread to discuss the topic in the title? No??

Back on topic, news suggest the 2021 engine rule change may not go ahead after all. A rethink of the changes, and a evolution of the current engine is the most likely outcome.

This backflip was almost certainly on the cards once no new manufacturers had committed to enter the series.

Old 23 Aug 2018, 10:26 (Ref:3845523)   #3203
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The Volt is closer to a true hybrid with a different charging system and ability to turn off the engine entirely. It still uses the engine to drive the wheels as well as the electric generator. The i3 and I believe i8 both use the engines purely to drive the electric generator without any mechanical connection to the drive line.
The i3's 2 cylinder motorcycle engine is used as a pure generator only, not the case in the i8. It uses a 3 cylinder petrol Mini engine as main power with electric motor boost for extra performance, while also giving limited range pure electric use. So a 'plug in' hybrid. (The batteries can be charged like a pure EV's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
no one other than Tesla had said EV only, they're all covering all their bases with at the very least hybrid and EVs.
Yes, most big European manufacturers at least are covering all the bases, from 48 volt 'mild hybrid' assistance to pure EV. My guess is they sense a certain amount of resistance from buyers to going 'pure', so by offering hybrid drivetrains they are reducing their emissions ratings to satisfy ever more demanding legislation, while helping educate buyers.

In the UK at least, the well publicised announcement regarding a 2040 deadline for 'banning the sale of fossil fuel powered cars' still isn't banning the sale of hybrids- at the moment , so expect them to be still being designed and manufactured for a while yet.....
Old 23 Aug 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3845525)   #3204
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Wow, how off topic has this gone? Maybe we need another thread in another part of the forum to discuss the future EV/Hybrid era, and leave this thread to discuss the topic in the title? No??
One for the F1 moderators to decide.....
Old 28 Aug 2018, 11:36 (Ref:3846712)   #3205
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
So rear wings are to be higher in 2019 then.

I like the height the rear wings are at currently. The cars look much better than the previous rear wings, which were introduced in '09.
The '09-'16 rear wings were just too damn high. Probably as high as the people who came up with the '09 aero rules!!

Old 28 Aug 2018, 12:03 (Ref:3846713)   #3206
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
So rear wings are to be higher in 2019 then.
Source?

How much higher, are they wider, is DRS affected?

Hard to discuss the matter, if we don't have the full information to hand.....
Old 28 Aug 2018, 12:59 (Ref:3846717)   #3207
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...rrors/3166804/

More info here.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 14:03 (Ref:3846725)   #3208
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If it means less downforce again, I'm for it
Old 28 Aug 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3846735)   #3209
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
If it means less downforce again, I'm for it
The article suggests the wings will also be wider and deeper - so more downforce. But, a more effective DRS as a result.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 15:06 (Ref:3846740)   #3210
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Sorry, I've not read the article yet but will this also help other cars to follow more closely as the wing is higher?
Old 28 Aug 2018, 15:14 (Ref:3846741)   #3211
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Sorry, I've not read the article yet but will this also help other cars to follow more closely as the wing is higher?
It seems like a flaw in the design - but I guess the truth will be seen on track.

In theory, a wider and deeper wing will mean the air has been worked harder and so reduce the following car's performance. But once they get within the DRS zone, they should be able to catch and pass easier as the effect will be greater.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3846746)   #3212
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It seems like a flaw in the design - but I guess the truth will be seen on track.

In theory, a wider and deeper wing will mean the air has been worked harder and so reduce the following car's performance. But once they get within the DRS zone, they should be able to catch and pass easier as the effect will be greater.
Giving with one hand and taking away again with the other. Seems like another FOM cock up then!
Old 28 Aug 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3846747)   #3213
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not only will the rear wing be different but there will be changes to the front wing, as well as the front break ducts.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/a...-aero-changes/
Old 28 Aug 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3846750)   #3214
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Giving with one hand and taking away again with the other. Seems like another FOM cock up then!
Although it has to be remembered that the new wing is for safety purposes, not to improve racing.
If it makes the cars safer, it achieves its purpose - even if the racing suffers as a result.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 15:01 (Ref:3846896)   #3215
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and while Liberty may be dealing with the venues in a better way, they are still struggling to come up with ideas to tighten up the racing.

the length of the DRS zones in Russia, Austin, Brazil, and Abu Dhabi will be increased for the upcoming races.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...166260/?nrt=54

granted there is not much else they can do and DRS is certainly an issue that divides...my personal feeling is that it wont make much of a difference.

imo, any potential benefits in tightening up the field will be off set as the season winds down and most teams shift towards conserving power, reducing their willingness to spend any more for this season, and basically just try to hold station.

i do hope i am wrong on that though, and do have some hope that the unintended consequence of taking away Force India's 2018 points could mean we see a reignited late season battle in the mid field as the new entity tries to move back up the table.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3846912)   #3216
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The sooner we get rid of DRS and have cars that can actually follow closely, the better
Old 1 Sep 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3847371)   #3217
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully we can get cars that can actually follow closely by 2021 but DRS could still be used. I think having it on a small straight just before the main straight would be good. It gives a possible chance in a usually non-passing place and can help get a car closer to the slip stream for the main straight. Eg, final straight before start/finish straight in Bahrain, between T10 and T11 China leading onto back straight, into the hairpin in Montreal etc.

If we can go back to no DRS that is better but I would be very happy with this if racing needs a little (note little) nudge to improve
Old 1 Sep 2018, 10:11 (Ref:3847372)   #3218
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
GP2 has exciting close racing with loads of passing,while F1 is as boring as bat ****.
Simply make GP2 the new F1 all problems solved.
Old 2 Sep 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3847553)   #3219
S griffin
Veteran

More power than grip is what we need
Old 2 Sep 2018, 10:41 (Ref:3847563)   #3220
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anybody in this forum knows I'm still fan of Nigel Mansell???
Old 2 Sep 2018, 23:29 (Ref:3847761)   #3221
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Anybody in this forum knows I'm still fan of Nigel Mansell???
The Tiffosi called him Il Leone, when he drove for Ferrari.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 22:01 (Ref:3848403)   #3222
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems as though Liberty's original plans for F1 are being slowly watered down.
It now seems that the budget cap will start at $200 million and to reduce to $150 million. The power units will likely be much the same but we will get 18 inch (457mm) wheels. There are to be new chassis regs as well but there is little about them as yet.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/09/05/...sual-f1-fudge/
Old 5 Sep 2018, 22:17 (Ref:3848405)   #3223
S griffin
Veteran

So what else is new there?
Old 5 Sep 2018, 22:52 (Ref:3848408)   #3224
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Anyone else hear a faint noise in the background? Sounds like a certain song by the Who maybe?
Old 5 Sep 2018, 22:58 (Ref:3848409)   #3225
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Anyone else hear a faint noise in the background? Sounds like a certain song by the Who maybe?
Pinball Wizard?