Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8 Feb 2007, 23:45 (Ref:1836861)   #1
Sean Edwards
Racer

United Kingdom
Monaco
Sean Edwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche 997 GT2 RSR review from Brands Hatch

The first Porsche 997 GT2 RSR to be delivered to a European team (Tech 9), ran yesterday at Brands Hatch (with me and Leo Machitski driving), obviously the first to see the light of the UK as well.

Well, after running it in and having 15 min proper testing in it for the first time yesterday, I thought I would let those that are interested know what it's like.

For a start, it seems everything has been thought of; the amount of work that Porsche have put in is amazing really and it shows in the detail of the car. Even down to how the steering wheel is put on, it's done by magnets and all you have to do it slide it on without having to even lift the ring at the back, like normal, and it's on, it's a really weird feeling and you think "is it actually on!?"!

There are enough buttons on the wheel to keep me occupied for the year, including traction control up and down (12 different settings) lol.

The car sounds great, it's very load, even with the silence package that we have on for FIA GT! Brand Hatch limit is 105db for any car at 4000rpm and the RSR was at 108db on idle and 116db at 4000rpm. We eventually got stopped testing because it was too load, we had to lift off on the straight and keep it at 7000rpm, (goes to 9000rpm) too keep the noise down.

How the car drives is also amazing, it's really glued to the track, with a lot of down force. It's very precise and goes where you want it too. On the standard setup it is understeering because of the amount of rear grip, but we soon got most of it sorted out. When it does start to go, the traction control system is amazingly good and I am sad to say I think we will be faster with it on as it is so developed and it will defiantly keep the tyres in good shape for the long races.

It’s a nicer and in a way easier car to drive than the GT3 as it’s got so much more grip, your not fighting with it all the time like the GT3. It’s just a proper racing car and handles more like a light single seater than a heavy GT car. I don’t actually think I can find any faults with it yet, maybe the throttle is a bit stiff, but that will bed in with time.

The torque is very good, it’s got more low down compared to the GT3 car, but from 8000rpm to 9000rpm I don’t feel that it pulls that well and not really much difference in letting it rev up there. That could be the ratios and that the engine is brand new and need to loosen up, but the lower down torque is great, especially in the first 3 gears!

The gearbox is sweet and the changes are very precise and smooth. The clutch is also great, really easy to use, especially when pulling away you don’t even have to use any throttle if you want, it will just pull away smoothly.

All in all this is a great new challenger from Porsche and I’m my opinion a Ferrari beater, even if it does not in the early stages, Porsche will not stop developing it until it does. But I am confident it will be either faster or about the same pace as the Ferrari over a lap and for the race distance who knows, we will have to wait and see.

I can't seem to attach pics any where, but here is a vid Leo uploaded to you tube of the night before the test, unloading and starting the car ect ect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsn9vEOQGiU Oh and before you ask why it woulden't start, it was low on fuel for transportation from Weissach so had no fuel pressure hehe...

Well that’s all I can be asked to type atm, but any questions you guys have about the car, I am happy to try and answer them if I can .

Last edited by Sean Edwards; 8 Feb 2007 at 23:53.