Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 5 Jan 2014, 09:21 (Ref:3350531)   #51
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Your point about higher top speed because of slimmer cars is invalid, as the cars also generate less downforce and less mechanical grip. Therefor its likely that teams will compensate the decrease in drag with an increase of downforce levels to an equal Drag/Downforce level to todays cars.
I think it was only a point about potential top speed, as that was gustavobamba's question.....
Old 5 Jan 2014, 09:45 (Ref:3350536)   #52
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, all I want to know, due to the new regulations, is:

- Will the car´s top speed will decrease?

- Witch are forum member´s predictions of top speed´s!!

- hope for some more elaborated answer about drag vs downforce vs top speed.

I wrote this thread because i´m afraid the top speed´s will decrease to sub 330 km/h, I miss +340km/h, 350 km/h, 360 km/h
Old 5 Jan 2014, 10:37 (Ref:3350547)   #53
rubberduck
Rookie

Germany
Nordschleife - related
rubberduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
I wrote this thread because i´m afraid the top speed´s will decrease to sub 330 km/h, I miss +340km/h, 350 km/h, 360 km/h

It's still bloody fast, isn't it?
And apart from velocity in terms of a sheer number, is there any "sensible" difference between 320 or 350?
Plus, overall quickness is still increasing or does not vary significant. There's enough effort left to get this out of the machinery and, more important, the pilots, in order to handle this. I can see no loss of respect/admiration while reducing the top speeds.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 11:43 (Ref:3350563)   #54
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I´m not sure if I can tell the difference between all those speeds when they flash by!
Old 5 Jan 2014, 12:36 (Ref:3350569)   #55
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Neither do I ... my point is:

With the fuel formula this year, we could see car´s with lower top speed´s to reduce fuel consumption. And LMP2 could be even closer to LMP1 in Le Mans straight´s, and for me that´s not nice
But that IMHO.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3350570)   #56
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Beside top speed´s we have the lap times question!!!

The car´s with hybrid power increased and for longer time will fly in corner exit´s, so the lap times in 2/3 years will be faster than last year, but the top speed´s will be lower, because I read here "Ten Tenth´s thread" that hybrid power only affects accelaration not top speed.
Old 5 Jan 2014, 23:06 (Ref:3350711)   #57
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think in 2014 it will be a battle between Audi and Toyota. Porsche unfortunately is trying to bet on low drag (max aero efficiency) to compliment their energy solutuon (small engine), but their downforce numbers are going to suffer severely and ultimately cars with higher downforce numbers win, if we have normal racing conditions.... but it will be interesting to watch how low drag acts on the course of long races.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 00:01 (Ref:3350731)   #58
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Power (Engines and Hybrid) systems hasnt been the deciding factor in top speed since the 70-80's!
The downforce levels will be what is deciding. So my guess will be the Team with most mechnical grip, as they can sacrifice downforce with the smallest loss. (Like Peugeot vs. Audi) will be the fastest.

Your point about higher top speed because of slimmer cars is invalid, as the cars also generate less downforce and less mechanical grip. Therefor its likely that teams will compensate the decrease in drag with an increase of downforce levels to an equal Drag/Downforce level to todays cars.

With that being said, I agree with you that Toyota will likely have the highest top speed, if they carry on with the more "conventional" design language of the TS030. (Like the 908, sacrificing downforce for a more sleek and less draggy bodyshape)
Less drag is a given with slimmer cars. Plus at LeMans they run low downforce. No need for high levels of wing. Thats what gustav asked, about the speeds at Le Mans. And sorry, but they did not have hybrids in the 80's I think with the extra power of the hybrid it may have an effect on top speed, at least on the acceleration on the straights and less engine stress. So using more engine for top speed and more hybrid for acceleration.