Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Dec 2013, 06:21 (Ref:3345308)   #51
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Wow!

I am shocked and I'm certainly not the only one.

Great to see him go out in his own terms and not due to injury etc. I didn't see this coming for at least another year.

Many thanks Alan for the spectacle that your fast and furious (dont anger this wee Scottish Terrier ) driving has provided for many years. Shame to see you go but happy to see you make your own decision rather then having it made for you.

When TK retires it won't be the same
Old 18 Dec 2013, 07:43 (Ref:3345326)   #52
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He will be on stage at Autosport International in January in Birmingham UK.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3345374)   #53
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a way to go out! I am surprised, but I'm going to re-read his roadtrip article in this month's Motorsport magazine (of which he is Guest Editor.... hmmmmm good timing?). He certainly didn't suggest the end was immediately imminent, but did suggest it wasn't far away and that he was getting a lot of enjoyment out of his other activities such as the commentary.

What I'm also interested to understand is the exact meaning of 'stepping down from the LMP1 programme', that suggests to me that there's still a role there with Audi in some capacity which will be great to see (alongside one-off races such as Daytona already mentioned).

Allan McNish by David_Williams, on Flickr

And a moment of relief a day or two later:

McNish Crash by David_Williams, on Flickr
Old 18 Dec 2013, 10:29 (Ref:3345383)   #54
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Oh well , I must admit Im a bit gutted about this news . Fair dues to him for climbing out at the top , that must be hard .

Hopefully we will see him back at Le mans for several years to come ..... with a privateer .
Old 18 Dec 2013, 11:50 (Ref:3345418)   #55
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Hopefully we will see him back at Le mans for several years to come ..... with a privateer .
I doubt that. I remember him saying that unless he can win, he's not interested. If he still wanted to race prototypes at Le Mans, he could have done so with Audi (possibly in the LM only car).
Old 18 Dec 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3345425)   #56
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
I doubt that. I remember him saying that unless he can win, he's not interested. If he still wanted to race prototypes at Le Mans, he could have done so with Audi (possibly in the LM only car).
Things change.
Former professional drivers often become Amateur "for fun" drivers.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3345450)   #57
BanjoMaster
Rookie

BanjoMaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Things change.
Former professional drivers often become Amateur "for fun" drivers.
Yeah, but they rarely do so with the same hunger and it often ends up detracting from their legend and reputation.

I will say this though, I'd love to see him in some sort of 'consultancy' or management role when Ecurie Ecosse make their push for LM, even if it's just as some sort of heavyweight endorsment. That would really make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :-)
Old 18 Dec 2013, 13:50 (Ref:3345458)   #58
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While searching for pictures, I found Allan in the 2013 Daytona with a Riley Ford DP car and he said Daytona 24 would be probably his future interest (for fun of course). So hopefully we can see him racing again in the USCC, at least for Prototypes in Daytona 24, and possibly Sebring 12?
Old 18 Dec 2013, 13:56 (Ref:3345459)   #59
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Audi's press piece did say that Allan will remain with Audi in some advisory role on top of his brand ambassador role. Since I can't see Allan wrenching an Audi prototype or being an engineers' aid (kinda hard for McNish, since he's not driving and providing feedback, the type of feedback that helped make him and Audi successful), I'll bet that it'll be as a driver coach or driver/team management.

Allan already helps manage drivers in the UK, and his skill and aptitude as a driver will be an asset for Audi, let alone who'll try and step into the Scotsman's shoes--Allan may be wee, but those will be big shoes to try and fill in the cockpit.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3345553)   #60
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my better pics I ever took as a newb, 2007 Petit:

Old 19 Dec 2013, 01:44 (Ref:3345743)   #61
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Fare thee well, ya wee Scottish b*gger. MANY memories, of many types. Long life after giving me the best reason for watching the first hour of many Le Mans.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 01:56 (Ref:3345749)   #62
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I too was incredibly shocked to see the news. I suppose the selfish part of me would have liked to have seen him drive until he couldn't do it anymore. The sentimental side of me is so happy to see him go on his terms. He's obviously got a great life outside of racing and it's so nice to see such a great guy get to now enjoy a pleasant retirement.

I'll always remember Allan as a rockstar driver who was still the most down to earth gentleman that you could meet. I remember getting his autograph at Petit 2011 and telling him I was so happy to see him walk away from his Le Mans shunt he stood up and gave me a sincere thank you and hand shake, and then this year at COTA, a simple request of a "Hello Collective" and again he rises from his seat to shake my hand and give me a man hug.

Really and truly the best ambassador that Audi and sports car racing could have ever hoped to have!
Old 19 Dec 2013, 07:18 (Ref:3345819)   #63
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
A fairly lengthy tribute and career summary I wrote on a website:

Quote:
Allan McNish was a special kind of driver. Born with a natural talent that rivaled the very best in the world, he excelled at almost everything that was thrown at him. It’s sad to say that he, on December 17, announced his retirement from professional motorsport after winning the 2013 FIA World Endurance Championship for Audi Sport Team Joest with Loïc Duval and Tom Kristensen. Still relatively young at 43 years, the three-time Le Mans winner has “ticked all the boxes.”

“As a racing driver it’s important to stop (racing) at the right time when I’m still fast and capable of doing the job and the timing feels right after winning Le Mans for a third time this year and claiming the World title,” said McNish. “This year especially was mega successful, teaming up with Loïc for the first time and obviously with long-time co-driver Tom. We’ve ticked all of the boxes and I ticked my personal ones too but now the time is right to hand over to the young guys.”

I’ve won the championships and races I wanted to win and frankly there’s no better way to end my Audi sportscar race career than going out as a World Champion.”

The ‘wee Scotsman’, as he is fondly known, has had truly one of the most remarkably diverse careers that the racing world has ever seen.

As is the case with most prominent drivers, McNish began his racing career with karting in his hometown of Dumfries. He moved his way up through the ranks in open-wheel racing in the late 80s and early 90s, but his seasons were a bit hit-and-miss. The prospect of becoming a Formula One driver, which, at the time, was very possible for him, distracted him. Just as he thought he had his foot in the door, the deal of a lifetime with an F1 team fell through, and he started over with his duties in F3000.

After a string of bad luck left Allan firmly lodged in 7th place in the 1995 championship, his career changed forever. He joined Porsche in 1996, which had developed a revolutionary racecar that was taking the world of Le Mans by storm. Only two years after his induction, he had won the 24 Hours of Le Mans with Laurent Aïello and Stephane Ortelli in 1998. McNish then joined with another rising star in top-tier endurance racing, Toyota Motorsports. Partnering with Ralf Kelleners and Thierry Boutsen, McNish had to settle with a DNF and 30th in class while watching their teammates being narrowly defeated by BMW. The turn of the century marked another massive transition from the Scotsman – he was now at Audi, whom he would loyally stay with until his retirement. In 2000, partnered with the same drivers that helped him win the 1998 24 Hours of Le Mans, McNish helped score Audi’s first podium lockout at Le Mans, something that they would be destined to achieve again in 2002, 2004, 2010, and 2012.

In 2001, he got what he had wished for earlier in his career: a coveted spot in a Formula One seat. He was hired as a development driver by Toyota Racing, an obvious decision because of his preexisting connections with the marque. 2002 was McNish’s one and only full season in Formula One competition, and it was exceedingly difficult on him; he scored no points during the course of the year and he and his teammate, Mika Salo, were booted off the team.

During a considerable hiatus for Allan, he functioned as Renault’s test driver for the 2003 Formula One season, never participating in any races. In 2004 he returned to professional sportscar racing, taking the win at the 12 Hours of Sebring and finishing 5th in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, both with Audi Sport UK Team Veloqx. Allan moved to ADT Champion Racing for 2005, finishing 2nd at Sebring and 3rd at Le Mans. Although he had to wait until 2008 to win again at Le Mans, 2006 and 2007 weren’t exactly bad years. He and Dindo Capello dominated the 2006 American Le Mans Series, winning 8 out of the 10 races in the season. 2007 went just as smoothly – McNish won 9 out of 12. Aside from winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2008, Allan carried on to win the 12 Hours of Sebring and Petit Le Mans that year.

2009 saw the introduction of a brand-new car and a brand-new challenge. Peugeot had apparently stepped up their game, and it showed. The French squad crushed Audi at Le Mans in 2009, but Audi bounced back in 2010, achieving a dominating podium lockout.

Le Mans 2011 brought two extremely frightening incidents, one of them involving McNish. As Allan exited the Dunlop Curves, he saw an open passing opportunity to take the lead of the race in one audacious swoop past a GT car. Unfortunately for Allan, the move was a bit too audacious, and after clipping Anthony Beltoise’s #58 Ferrari, the shiny new Audi R18 TDI flipped out of control into the guardrail at speeds in excess of 150 MPH, unrecognizable after the impact. Luckily, neither the driver nor any fans were seriously injured. 2012 brought an equally scary accident from Audi’s new LMP1 rival in Toyota, resurrected from the racing dead to fight again at Audi’s happy hunting ground. McNish finished the race second, an agonizing result for teammate Dindo Capello, who would be retiring at the end of the year.

Finally, in 2013, McNish returned to his rightful place at the top of the podium alongside “Mister Le Mans” Tom Kristensen and Frenchman Loïc Duval. It was an emotional race for all three men, for singularly different reasons. Perhaps in the back of his mind, McNish knew that he was going to retire, that it was his last Le Mans. Loïc Duval had won his first ever Le Mans 24, and Tom Kristensen had lost a fellow Danish countryman in Allan Simonsen, who died tragically in an accident at Tertre Rouge in the first few minutes of the race.

There is no way to adequately summarize Allan McNish’s career without sounding annoyingly longwinded. In 13 years of professional racing, he’s taken to the grid 89 times, on which occasion he has finished on the podium 66 times and has won 29 times. Allan’s retirement marks the end of a distinguished career and the paddock will sorely miss his brilliant energy and infectious enthusiasm for the sport. However, the Scottish Terrier has not ruled out special one-off races. In the wake of his announcement on Tuesday, the seemingly most popular speculation is that he will race in the Rolex 24 at Daytona in the near future. Who knows?
Old 19 Dec 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3345868)   #64
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good job, Beetle.;-)
Old 19 Dec 2013, 15:00 (Ref:3345942)   #65
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Don't know that I've got a great deal to add to what's been said already about his magnificent career.

I recall a conversation during the Saturday night of Le Mans 2008 with a guy who'd been a mechanic on the winning McLaren in 1995, and the consensus being that McNish was the finest sportscar driver of his generation and that it would be thoroughly unjust if the record showed only one win at Le Mans. Obviously he added one to that total a few hours later.

I'll stand by my opinion that on that night there wasn't a better driver out there and while the absolute magic has ebbed away a little in recent years flashes like the last stint at Silverstone this year remind us of how lucky we were to witness him at his best.

Of course it feels a little like an ending, but better I suspect to draw a line at the very top and move on, rather than drift away to the margins.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 15:27 (Ref:3345951)   #66
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
And a moment of relief a day or two later:

McNish Crash by David_Williams, on Flickr
Bloody.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 16:19 (Ref:3346666)   #67
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
That was a lovely summary, but to expand a little, his junior career wasn't really hit and miss, it was successful and would have been very much more so if a/he hadn't lost the '89 British F3 title on a deferred technicality, b/he hadn't been unlucky with the Lola chassis in 1991 F3000 and c/he hadn't suffered what I believe was a fairly debilitating virus stalled his career at a time when Marlboro and McLaren were heavily supporting him.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 18:30 (Ref:3346705)   #68
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
He will be on stage at Autosport International in January in Birmingham UK.
Yeah, but should have been voted 'British Competition Driver of the Year' at their annual awards after winning LeMans and winning the 'Competition' to become a World Champion this season!

Last edited by Rennen; 21 Dec 2013 at 18:53.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3352993)   #69
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Well done Audi ... a class act

Old 12 Jan 2014, 10:07 (Ref:3353007)   #70
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah very classy. Kudos Audi
Old 12 Jan 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3353063)   #71
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Fitting gesture from Audi given the part Allan has played in their success. Classy stuff.

But I can't read the message under "Le Man" even when I've zoomed in. And searching for the image turns up nothing. Would I be right to assume this was in the digital edition of The Times?
Old 12 Jan 2014, 15:57 (Ref:3353073)   #72
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Fitting gesture from Audi given the part Allan has played in their success. Classy stuff.

But I can't read the message under "Le Man" even when I've zoomed in. And searching for the image turns up nothing. Would I be right to assume this was in the digital edition of The Times?
I wouldn't know about the Times thing, but it is in Autosport as well. This is what it says.

"After a 32 year career, 29 victories for the Audi sport-prototype teams, 18 pole positions, 17 fastest laps, and four title wins, the flying Scotman, Allan McNish, is retiring. Our partnership with Allan began in 2000, culminating in victories in both the 2013 Le Mans 24 Hours and FIA World Endurance Championship. A track record that will ensure he remains one of the world's finest endurance racers. Thank you Allan, from all your friends at Audi."
Old 10 Feb 2014, 20:41 (Ref:3366597)   #73
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It ran in the Telegraph and the Times for quite a few weeks.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3366636)   #74
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It ran in the Telegraph and the Times for quite a few weeks.
Been quite a while since I've read a newspaper though ... I'll keep an eye out just in case it's still in print.