Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: What is one extra nation you'd like to see on the '14 schedule?
Spain (Catalunya, Jerez, Aragon...) 3 3.23%
Italy (Monza, Mugello, Imola...) 38 40.86%
Malaysia (Sepang) 4 4.30%
South Korea (Yeongam) 1 1.08%
Australia (Phillip Island, Bathurst, Eastern Creek...) 10 10.75%
Germany (Nurburgring, Hockenheim, Oschersleben...) 17 18.28%
Canada (Montreal, Mosport, Mont Tremblant...) 10 10.75%
Portugal (Estoril, Portimao...) 3 3.23%
UAE (Dubai, Yas Marina...) 2 2.15%
Other (please specify...) 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Aug 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3292122)   #51
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
And to reply to your post, Simmi, Strakka has been about as confirmed as confirmed can be without actually time traveling to WEC '14 Round 1, wherever it may be.

And OAK seems confirmed as well.
I'm hopeful of seeing both of these outfits racing next year but I don't view either of these links as confirmations. I see desire to compete, but not a programme in place. Yet.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3292167)   #52
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah i don't want to sound like a massive pessimist, but often when teams give interviews saying w'e will be back next year'. They more often than not mean 'we would like to be back next year, circumstance dependent'.

I would imagine its quite rare (for any of the private teams at least) to have a full budget/driver/sponsor package sorted out for next year at this point.
(this is just a guess so feel free to correct me)

Anyway i hope to see as many teams on that list as possible competing as im sure we all do.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 22:07 (Ref:3292176)   #53
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I think it is simply too early for this thread.

There is still half of the season to be run, it's not the time to announce next year's plans yet.

Nobody should worry because a team has not committed to the next season in August (!).
Old 22 Aug 2013, 00:40 (Ref:3292580)   #54
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I think it is simply too early for this thread.

There is still half of the season to be run, it's not the time to announce next year's plans yet.

Nobody should worry because a team has not committed to the next season in August (!).
We aren't worrying; the title of the thread is, after all, FIA WEC '14 ~ Speculation Thread.

Porsche certainly has committed (we've all seen the testing photos), Strakka has made firm decisions to race next year (although I agree, Simmi, it is more of an "interest" and not a "confirmation" for a 2014 program), and LMP rumors abound for 2014 - so why not start a thread?

Unfortunately, unlike LMP1 and LMP2, GTE isn't much to talk about - I expect it may be a bit boring next year with the usual Porsche, Ferrari, and Aston Martin slugfest. It's quite a shame that we will have to wait nearly two more years to see the GT unification. Simply add McLaren, Bentley, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW and you really have a race!
Old 22 Aug 2013, 00:54 (Ref:3292581)   #55
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
other=Sebring
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3292638)   #56
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
We aren't worrying; the title of the thread is, after all, FIA WEC '14 ~ Speculation Thread.

Porsche certainly has committed (we've all seen the testing photos), Strakka has made firm decisions to race next year (although I agree, Simmi, it is more of an "interest" and not a "confirmation" for a 2014 program), and LMP rumors abound for 2014 - so why not start a thread?

Unfortunately, unlike LMP1 and LMP2, GTE isn't much to talk about - I expect it may be a bit boring next year with the usual Porsche, Ferrari, and Aston Martin slugfest. It's quite a shame that we will have to wait nearly two more years to see the GT unification. Simply add McLaren, Bentley, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW and you really have a race!
Maybe a team will run a Viper or BMW will be allowed in the WEC and the Brazilian team can represent them? You never know! It would be awesome to see a couple of Vipers and Z4s.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3292847)   #57
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Maybe a team will run a Viper or BMW will be allowed in the WEC and the Brazilian team can represent them? You never know! It would be awesome to see a couple of Vipers and Z4s.
BMW Trophy Team Brazil is an excellent idea for the WEC. Marc VDS was thinking about it a while back but I think their goal was LMP2. But who knows, they could have a change of heart... I'd personally like to see a new GTE-Pro team and car rather than another European LMP2 team. There are simply too many - eventually they'll run out of numbers from 24-49 (that scenario nearly unfolded at LMS this year!)...

For the BMW Trophy Team to do a full effort in the WEC they'd probably need at least 2 cars, which would require AT MINIMUM 2 drivers for regular rounds (3 for Le Mans), so they'd need to combine Trophy Team India with Trophy Team Brasil. Also, they might want to take a look at guys like Moser, Paltalla, Catsburg, Longin, Franchi, Kechele, Hassid, Hurtgen, Alzen, Muller, and many more. Guys like Zonta, Bueno, Khodair, Jiminez, Ebrahim, Jousse, etc probably have more options right now.

Although they probably won't end up forming a brand new factory team just for next year because things are just going to be shaken up again when 2015 rolls around. But one can hope for a #85 Pro Zonta/Bueno/Khodair and a #86 Pro Jiminez/Ebrahim/Jousse effort.

As far as Viper, I have no idea... maybe a certain Dutch team? They seem to like American V8s...
Old 22 Aug 2013, 22:21 (Ref:3292857)   #58
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
BMW Trophy Team Brazil is an excellent idea for the WEC. Marc VDS was thinking about it a while back but I think their goal was LMP2. But who knows, they could have a change of heart... I'd personally like to see a new GTE-Pro team and car rather than another European LMP2 team. There are simply too many - eventually they'll run out of numbers from 24-49 (that scenario nearly unfolded at LMS this year!)...

For the BMW Trophy Team to do a full effort in the WEC they'd probably need at least 2 cars, which would require AT MINIMUM 2 drivers for regular rounds (3 for Le Mans), so they'd need to combine Trophy Team India with Trophy Team Brasil. Also, they might want to take a look at guys like Moser, Paltalla, Catsburg, Longin, Franchi, Kechele, Hassid, Hurtgen, Alzen, Muller, and many more. Guys like Zonta, Bueno, Khodair, Jiminez, Ebrahim, Jousse, etc probably have more options right now.

Although they probably won't end up forming a brand new factory team just for next year because things are just going to be shaken up again when 2015 rolls around. But one can hope for a #85 Pro Zonta/Bueno/Khodair and a #86 Pro Jiminez/Ebrahim/Jousse effort.
I don't pretend to know how much basis this BMW Trophy Team Brazil to run cars in WEC has.

But assuming they could put a budget together maybe BMW would be willing to lend them drivers as Porsche did with guys like Felbmayer before their full factory effort this year.
Then they could have access to guys like Dirk Muller, Jorg Muller, Hand, Farfus, Werner, Alzen, Adorf, Klingman, Hurtgen and of course Maxime Martin.
To race alongside the Brazilian core they would probably keep Bueno, Zonta, Jiminez & Kohdair.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 22:28 (Ref:3292860)   #59
morningview66
Racer

I think thats one of my favourite things about Sportscar (more specifically GT) racing.
That manufacturers have a roster of drivers that they lend out so you see things like Mortara & Albequrque appearing at the big Grand-Am events for Audi or Vilander for Ferrari and a number of the Porsche guys turning up in the ALMS.

Or of course Berned Schneider driving the Mercedes in the big 24hr races. Along with big works driver commitment to private teams in the Nurburgring 24 and Spa 24 from Aston, Audi, BMW and Porsche.

Maybe the wrong thread, but I would like to see this happen more often. Though maybe it works better at the lower GT3 level rather than WEC on the world stage where the manufacturers want to make sure of best results by running their own works teams.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 06:01 (Ref:3292921)   #60
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by avvelenamento View Post
Anyway a lot of people still think that a pair of american astronauts put their foot on moon surface a lot of years ago.
Only intelligent people believe it to be true.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 24 Aug 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3293281)   #61
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
LMFAO ..... Ha !
Old 24 Aug 2013, 01:25 (Ref:3293289)   #62
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
Don't feed the troll... he'll go back under a bridge if we ignore those kinds of comments.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 02:43 (Ref:3295984)   #63
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/esm-focused-on-...rticle/309432/

ESM says that they could race in select WEC races in addition to USCR pending more Tequila Patron funding.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 10:10 (Ref:3296105)   #64
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post

ESM says that they could race in select WEC races in addition to USCR pending more Tequila Patron funding.
If ESM comes to Silverstone in the WEC I promise the next bottle of Tequila I buy will be a bottle of Patron.

There. They've got to come now. Do they want my money or not?
Old 31 Aug 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3296589)   #65
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:

I'd guess Spa, Le Mans, and COTA.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3296634)   #66
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/pickett-intrigu...rticle/309697/
Greg Pickett confirms that Muscle Milk won't be joining the series next year since his discussions with HPD to buy the 2014 LMP1 fell through.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3296637)   #67
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Greg Pickett confirms that Muscle Milk won't be joining the series next year since his discussions with HPD to buy the 2014 LMP1 fell through.
So where to for Pickett? USCR DP?
Old 31 Aug 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3296642)   #68
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So where to for Pickett? USCR DP?
No. P2 if anything, but he has repeatedly said he doesn't want to race a P2 or a DP. He's got the cash to run a GTE car and he previously ran an Aston prototype. I'd like to see him enter an Aston in GTE since that car isn't represented in the new series.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 18:27 (Ref:3296646)   #69
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
http://speedblog.speed.com/speed/spo...-wec-notebook/

RAM Racing taking a look at moving up to WEC with their Ferraris
Old 31 Aug 2013, 18:28 (Ref:3296649)   #70
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
http://speedblog.speed.com/speed/spo...-wec-notebook/

RAM Racing taking a look at moving up to WEC with their Ferraris
No surprise there... top-quality team.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 11:36 (Ref:3298285)   #71
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
That's crap ..... why is it that Honda seem to be so difficult to deal with over this supposedly new chaiisi ..... they should be bloody happy that teams want to run their tubs , and winning championships for them with little assistance .

Strakka basically quit cuz their car was at the back end of the P1 category and decided to cancel their programme and concentrate on next year .

There is no proof that this Honda can take on the opposition next year .
Old 3 Sep 2013, 21:42 (Ref:3298526)   #72
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
MMilk possibly wants to stay in America? So that could be a reason the talks didn't go all well. Or the price was too much for the campaign he planned? Maybe he didnt want to run full season in the WEC so was looking at a reduced price that Hpd wasn't going for? I think it's premature to fault Hpd. As for Strakka, they just don't have the ideal driver lineup or cash to continue on in the WEC this year.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 22:21 (Ref:3298551)   #73
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
MMilk possibly wants to stay in America? So that could be a reason the talks didn't go all well. Or the price was too much for the campaign he planned? Maybe he didnt want to run full season in the WEC so was looking at a reduced price that Hpd wasn't going for? I think it's premature to fault Hpd. As for Strakka, they just don't have the ideal driver lineup or cash to continue on in the WEC this year.
If they (Strakka) are indeed adamant on a two-car entry full time next year in the LMP1 class in WEC, I don't think they are afraid to throw their weight around, financially. Mainly I think it is just timing... why spend money on a season that only has 4 other LMP1 cars, and only one car that you could truly fight with (Rebellion)?

We've seen weirder things happen... who would've expected five full-time factory Aston Martins in the WEC this year? Two LMP1s out of privateer team similar to Rebellion doesn't seem too far out to me...

Last edited by Beetle; 3 Sep 2013 at 22:21. Reason: Clarifying that the subject matter is Strakka
Old 3 Sep 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3298558)   #74
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm in no position to question any of Honda's motive because what they are doing for motorsport is great already but it seems like the HPD program very different to what we saw back in 2007 and 2008 with the Andretti Green, Lowes Fernandez, and Highcroft. Its dissapointing. They should be proud to put there name on the car and race at Le Mans. Arguably the biggest race of the year of course. But it seems like they don't wanna chip in to help run it. Possible because they aren't really expecting to win. And its true. With Audi, Porsche, and Toyota all running factory teams.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 22:40 (Ref:3298565)   #75
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I'm in no position to question any of Honda's motive because what they are doing for motorsport is great already but it seems like the HPD program very different to what we saw back in 2007 and 2008 with the Andretti Green, Lowes Fernandez, and Highcroft. Its dissapointing. They should be proud to put there name on the car and race at Le Mans. Arguably the biggest race of the year of course. But it seems like they don't wanna chip in to help run it. Possible because they aren't really expecting to win. And its true. With Audi, Porsche, and Toyota all running factory teams.
And that is precisely why we need 5 classes at Le Mans instead of 4: LMP1 Factory, LMP1 Privateer, LMP2, GTE-Pro, and GTE-Am. That would gather a lot more interest from the smaller-budget teams and big budget privateer teams.

If we don't get that, I'm afraid we'll see a dwindling LMP1 field, despite Porsche and maybe a few other new teams coming on board... those smaller teams who want to develop cars A) don't develop them at all or B) develop them for a lower-cost alternative: LMP2. And, truth be told, we don't need any more LMP2 cars.