Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 19 Oct 2016, 18:15 (Ref:3681447)   #326
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
Thanks! The weather is going to be cool and perfect, a real bluebird.

Try the NASCAR website during a race. Click on "Drive" and do
an in car camera. Put on the scanner at raceview(a nominal fee)
and turn the volume down on the tv. It will improve your experience
and enthusiasm 1000%.

Just a side note, I read at Jayskis that at the spring demofest at Dega,
tore up $10mm in gear. That has to be a motorsport record if that
record was kept.

The only analogy I can think of is a Blue Angel airshow of 40 cars
doing 190mph. Its so precise, but one mistake, well, you know the
rest of the story.
Unfortunately I don't get to watch races live. You need a satellite subscription to an obscure channel to watch over here. I have to wait until my bro on the west coast uploads the races.

Did you see this 100,000 camera video from last years Geico 500? I don't know if they did one this year.
http://s546271843.onlinehome.us/15c-10k/
Looks like fun!
Old 21 Oct 2016, 02:54 (Ref:3681704)   #327
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pretty good article on attendance when you have time.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...109205537.html
Old 22 Oct 2016, 10:30 (Ref:3681886)   #328
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
How'd you like Dover? I watched the last few laps and saw the kid was running up in the top 10 again.

Some people got eliminated or something....
I've been down, pretty hard, for awhile now, a bad case of sinusitis. Was out of work for two days, then back to work, but come home afterward and go to bed. Hadn't felt like doing anything else. Have tried to watch races, but just ended up sleeping, same with college football, have missed some great games the same way. Going to try to answer this now, sorry for the long delay.

What did I think about Dover? Well, I think Dover showed what older, long time fans of this series know and remember about racing at this track, what today's NASCAR, so called, leadership has forgotten and what many of today's fans, especially those that have no background in racing, i.e., those that started following the sport because it was the "in thing to do" (the type of fans that mostly likely will be gone, when they tire and move on to the next "in thing to do") have no clue about. On a track like Dover, in the absence of "phantom" or "debris" cautions, when a team or two, like Truex Jr. and before he had problems, Jimmie Johnson, hit on the exact set-up, that team will get out front and run off and hide from the rest of the field. That is what happened. Truex Jr. and team hit it, everybody else got strung out. I can remember quite a few races that ended like this, back in the day, at Dover. I don't blame the track for this not being an exciting race. It just happens like this, sometime, like Truex Jr., at Charlotte, back in May, when all the factors come together. As opposed to New Hampshire, where I do blame the track, because the track in just not set up for good racing, in stock cars. Big difference there.

Chase Elliott, I have come to the conclusion, just cannot catch a break and could go winless this season, due mainly to bad luck. But for a couple of untimely late race cautions and some questionable driving on the part of other drivers, that caused accidents that took Chase out, he would (and should have) 3 maybe 4 wins this season. But as they say, "That's Racin". I will say this, when he finally breaks through and gets his first win, stand by! That dam is going to break and wins are going to start coming with great frequency!
Old 22 Oct 2016, 12:30 (Ref:3681902)   #329
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Dega is my least favorite track on the calendar.
Old 23 Oct 2016, 18:34 (Ref:3682289)   #330
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see many empty seats in the grandstands.
Old 23 Oct 2016, 20:57 (Ref:3682318)   #331
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Dega is my least favorite track on the calendar.
I have a hard time watching plate racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
This is pretty much the case everywhere, but they've not removed grandstands at Dega like they have other places.

Chase is still in the running so I'll listen while I take a break from a car show!
Old 23 Oct 2016, 22:47 (Ref:3682336)   #332
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sliced Doosh adds another trophy to his collection. Yay.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
This is pretty much the case everywhere, but they've not removed grandstands at Dega like they have other places.
This isn't correct. I forgot they took out the backstretch grandstands 3 years ago. There's still about a mile of grandstand on the frontstretch.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 14:06 (Ref:3682486)   #333
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Talladega notes from the track:

Weather was spectacular.
Crowd size was probably in the 65-75% area. Plenty
of elbow room for back packs and coolers.
Seat location about 150 yards past start finish
in the middle of the Talladega grandstand right
in front of a large tv screen - perfect.
B1 bomber flyover with all 4 candles lit was loud
and incredible.

I had the scanner on #24 Elliott car. He had a great
first 40 laps and I was encouraged. When he slip back into
the teens it was just too much to get back to the front 3.
He was boxed in and the 48 could rarely get up to him to help.
Plus the 48 had little motivation to help since he is firmly in the Chase.

When the 3 JGR cars laid back at the beginning I thought they
would at least make a run toward the end of the race. They basically
did a strategic rolling start and park. I get it but hate it for their
fans, especially for those that drove long ways to cheer their drivers on.

GWC finish at Talladega always delivers a good dose of anticipation.
Thank goodness there were no big ones. Just good hard racing except
for 3 of them on a sunny cool day.

Martinsville up next. Wonder who is in for some paybacks?
Old 28 Oct 2016, 18:33 (Ref:3683683)   #334
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Your boy from the #24 will be trucking in the #71 at Martinsville.

I still have not watched the races at Charlotte, Kansas, or Talledega.
I better pull my finger out and stock up on beer and cheese burgers and get into it.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 18:49 (Ref:3683693)   #335
canamman
Veteran

United States
Yeah I saw he is jumping into a truck this weekend.

Wow you do have a lot of catch up to do.
Pull up the Talladega Truck race if you need a
demolition derby fix.

Curious Number 4, do you pay any attention to FIA Speedway GP?
Tai Woffinden from Scunthorpe has a world championship or two
under his belt.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 19:26 (Ref:3683701)   #336
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Quote:
Yeah I saw he is jumping into a truck this weekend.

Wow you do have a lot of catch up to do.
Pull up the Talladega Truck race if you need a
demolition derby fix.

Curious Number 4, do you pay any attention to FIA Speedway GP?
Tai Woffinden from Scunthorpe has a world championship or two
under his belt.
I saw your post on the other thread. It looks great.
I don't pay any attention at all I am afraid. I don't live near a speedway and it is broadcast on satellite. I watch speedway if it is on tv, but that is rare, they had an ice racing series out east that was quite mental. One poor guy hit the fence and got run over by a bike with hundreds of metal spikes in the tyres, he got shredded.I think speedway was a big deal back in the 70's here. They don't seem to get along with the stock cars, I can think of a few tracks that are one or the other.
Poland had three rounds so they must be mad for it over there.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 20:09 (Ref:3684090)   #337
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
I just watched the Martinsville truck race. It was the best race I have watched all year. Elliot had a good run and would have won if he had given Sauter the chrome horn on the last couple of laps. There were plenty of bump and runs but otherwise a good clean race.
The FOX commentary was excellent. I enjoy listening to Vince Welch and Phil Parsons, and even MW was quite good.
The caution clock didn't go off once, and they seemed to mention the chase only about 10% as much as NBC drone on about it.
Worth a watch if you get the chance.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 22:00 (Ref:3684116)   #338
canamman
Veteran

United States
Glad you saw that race. It was good. Shows you
what kind of class Chase Elliott has. In his interview
after the race he was perfectly honest and said Sauter
is running for a championship and he was not about
to get in the middle of that. Sauter looked strong though.
I wonder if Kyle Busch would have given Sauter the
coutesy?

Jimmie Johnson takes Martinsville today. I am going
to put my chips on the #48 and cheer for a new 7 time
champion.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 08:47 (Ref:3684215)   #339
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martinsville seemed to be turning into a fairly good race, until that cluster of disorganization happened and the 15 or more minute caution just dragged on and on! There was no sense in that. It made them (the sanctioning body, not the drivers or teams) look like a bunch of rank amateurs!
Old 31 Oct 2016, 14:31 (Ref:3684288)   #340
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Did you guys see the documentary about the 2001 NASCAR season?
It does not really cover much of the season, mainly #3 crashing at Daytona, #8 winning at Daytona and then 9/11.
http://s546271843.onlinehome.us/ns2001/
Old 31 Oct 2016, 15:00 (Ref:3684298)   #341
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
It does not really cover much of the season, mainly #3 crashing at Daytona, #8 winning at Daytona and then 9/11.
I have not but I certainly recall that season more than most others over the last 2 decades. Like the Don McLean song, that was the year nascar died for me; I just didn't know it yet.

The Steve Park win at the Rock and the Harvick win at AMS was hope for something better and certainly two of my favorite memories nascar but it's all gone the $hit, in a slow painful death.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 15:35 (Ref:3684304)   #342
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I have seen so many documentaries on those subjects
I did not bother to watch it. The #3 was Darth Vader to me
back in the day. However there are only 2 televised
funerals I recorded every second of on VHS tape: Pres. Reagan
and Dale Earnhardt.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 16:58 (Ref:3684320)   #343
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I have seen so many documentaries on those subjects
I did not bother to watch it. The #3 was Darth Vader to me
back in the day. However there are only 2 televised
funerals I recorded every second of on VHS tape: Pres. Reagan
and Dale Earnhardt.
I couldn't stand the man on the track. Come to find out what great things he did off the track and how much great influence he had on NASCAR as a product (outside himself) after his death.

He just always seemed to be turning the ones I was pulling for and laughing about it only to 8itch and moan when it went against him.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 19:20 (Ref:3684363)   #344
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Well you didn't miss very much to be honest. It didn't go very deep. Junior went up in my estimations though with his interview comments.

I'm a newbie to NASCAR so never watched the #3 race, I've only ever heard the endless references to him. It is interesting that you guys didn't like him, I thought that was a lynching offence. I did always wonder why he was so popular when he wrecked so many other cars.

I'm glad the #48 won at Martinsville. I'm a big fan of JJ and Doctor Evil in the pit box. I hope he gets his seventh title. I wonder if Petty and Earnhardt would have won seven if they had to "chase". #88 says he will race next year, but does not sound 100% positive. Who will drive it if Jr's problems continue?
Old 31 Oct 2016, 20:32 (Ref:3684378)   #345
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I'm a newbie to NASCAR so never watched the #3 race, I've only ever heard the endless references to him. It is interesting that you guys didn't like him, I thought that was a lynching offence. I did always wonder why he was so popular when he wrecked so many other cars.
NASCAR is not unlike any other sport or motorsport. You either love some people / teams or you hated them. He was a throwback and someone who connected to a great many of people that still had the connection to the shorttracks around the SE, that loved his style. Just so happened that I cheered for many others that fell victim to his chrome horn.

Quote:
I'm glad the #48 won at Martinsville. I'm a big fan of JJ and Doctor Evil in the pit box. I hope he gets his seventh title. I wonder if Petty and Earnhardt would have won seven if they had to "chase".
Yeah, who knows and it's a rhetorical question, but this is interesting:
http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/sto...-Chase-History

The guy has all the stats and somewhere in there is how champs would be crowned without the Chase, bearing in mind the points systems have changed multiple time over the years.

Check him out if you haven't already.
http://www.jayski.com/

Quote:
#88 says he will race next year, but does not sound 100% positive. Who will drive it if Jr's problems continue?
I think he's done. I don't know how the contracts read, but I think he'd be cut or have a reduced salary next year if he can't drive.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 31 Oct 2016 at 20:40.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 13:26 (Ref:3686225)   #346
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kenseth, Logano, Harvick, Kurt, Kyle and Hamlin for 2 spots in the chase. There will be fireworks in the next 2 races, hope nobody gets hurt.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 16:32 (Ref:3686245)   #347
canamman
Veteran

United States
Lets hope its good! Here are the results
from the Phoenix spring race.
http://www.jayski.com/stats/2016/pdf...016results.pdf
Old 7 Nov 2016, 17:15 (Ref:3686256)   #348
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Kenseth, Logano, Harvick, Kurt, Kyle and Hamlin for 2 spots in the chase. There will be fireworks in the next 2 races, hope nobody gets hurt.
I'm sure it'll be fine.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 00:14 (Ref:3689169)   #349
canamman
Veteran

United States
Kinda torn :

1) Jimmie Johnson - would like to see him get the 7th cup.
2) Carl Edwards - I was there for his first win in 2005 and
have been a bit of a fan since. I like new champs.
3) Joey Logano - still uncomfortable with the Joker smile. He will
be a multiple champion.
4) Kyle Busch - Still has a little maturing to do. He will be
a multiple champion as well.

So I guess I am for the 48 or 19 for champion.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 07:46 (Ref:3689194)   #350
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I'd like the driver who has done the best over the course of the whole season to win. Oh well....