Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Jan 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3702510)   #1576
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's a big shame BMR aren't retaining Colin, I mean he came so close to winning the title, they could really end up looking like wallys if they don't come close this season without him. Jason may have helped set the team up, but he hardly set the world on fire last season did he?
Old 14 Jan 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3702514)   #1577
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's a big shame BMR aren't retaining Colin, I mean he came so close to winning the title, they could really end up looking like wallys if they don't come close this season without him. Jason may have helped set the team up, but he hardly set the world on fire last season did he?
Plato may not be the most popular driver but he isn't daft, more to the point nobody can really argue with his record can they. Colin did have a good season last year but he hardly wiped the floor with Plato, they both stood on the podium 10 times and they both went into the final round with a mathematical chance of being champion. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Plato had another title to his name next year, perhaps more important to him is the magical 100 wins though, with Colin out of the team that get's easier doesn't it.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 13:43 (Ref:3702527)   #1578
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The interview on the Autosport show stage with Neal, Turkington, Shedden and AJ earlier today is a corcker. Check it out on YouTube later when the replay of the livestream is posted.

Very interesting as to what is implied regarding politics.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3702536)   #1579
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ can be seen here at about - 3 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcNDFYRs4xs

LOL, Neal :
Quote:
you got Jason fans, they don't like Colin anymore

Neal :
Quote:
if this man (refering to Colin) gets in a BMW it will be a mighty strong package

Last edited by porsche962fan; 14 Jan 2017 at 14:50.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 16:51 (Ref:3702544)   #1580
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Can you imagine the look on AJ and MJ's face if Turkington ends up at WSR....I don't think that is in the script..
Old 14 Jan 2017, 17:03 (Ref:3702549)   #1581
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Turkington ends up back at WSR then it is Jordans chance to show everyone just what he is capable of.

I am sure the rumours that Plato wanted Turks out surfaced before the end of last year, and someone did state there was talk of increased backing from BMW to pave the way for a Turks/Collard pairing.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 17:43 (Ref:3702560)   #1582
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED55 View Post
It will be down to money again, Unlikely Colin has got enough to pay for a drive, Jason and Cole wont want to be subsidising a driver who will outscore them nearly everytime and Scott has been overspending most likely of last 3 years so cannot afford anymore to be paying for drivers.

Btcc appears to be a healthy series in terms of grid size and is adament it doesnt need manufacturers , but the reality is most drivers paying are finding it isnt sustainable,year on year, its a very expensive series to run in now it has evolved .

for me Turks is easily in top 5 tin top drivers in the world, but he is a pro and any pro should be earning from it, not paying to do it. how many of us would pay our bosses to work for them !

I hope it comes good for him, you cant blame JP for trying to be in control of something he helped to create.

wait for it #gamechangerhardonforturks lol
Top 5 in the World?! Let's have the list then!
Old 14 Jan 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3702561)   #1583
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Top 5 in the World?! Let's have the list then!
well FIA rates him as gold driver in case he wants to go GT Racing
Old 14 Jan 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3702564)   #1584
mickb
Rookie

mickb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not exactly confirmation but fingers crossed: http://www.motorsport.com/btcc/news/...return-865476/

“My exit from BMR was only yesterday, so I need some time to absorb the news, and work out the next path,”

Suggests he might have been told he was leaving?

It would make for some good battles if he was in the WSR BMW, and I'am presuming the subaru will lose out a bit with the new engine regulations which negate its low centre of gravity advantage
Old 14 Jan 2017, 18:44 (Ref:3702577)   #1585
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Pretty poor form to be only told in Jan that your seat is no longer available. If they no longer wanted to carry on the partnership it should have been settled back in 2016 to allow Turks a better chance of getting a 2017 drive.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3702579)   #1586
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
...someone did state there was talk of increased backing from BMW to pave the way for a Turks/Collard pairing.
I really hope so: as Neal said, Turks, Collard and Jordan would be a very strong lineup.

Other than that, no seats confirmed yet at 888 and Gilham hinting even more strongly on Twitter today, so hopefully he won't be left out of the grid again.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3702580)   #1587
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
I can definitely see Turkington at WSR, the idea of him driving for Gilham is a bit of a stretch though. Smith at Hard would be a nice fit mind you.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3702583)   #1588
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
I really hope so: as Neal said, Turks, Collard and Jordan would be a very strong lineup.
That really would be a formidable line up, hope it materialises, Colin really deserves a decent ride.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3702588)   #1589
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=porsche962fan;3702536]^ can be seen here at about - 3 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcNDFYRs4xs

LOL, Neal :

3 hours is Dario
Old 14 Jan 2017, 23:02 (Ref:3702622)   #1590
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Don't know how long its been there and by no means strong evidence, but a strong presence of BTCC in Dan Lloyd's Twitter bio.

Any more news on Team Parker? Seem to be very quiet...
Old 15 Jan 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3702712)   #1591
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Pretty poor form to be only told in Jan that your seat is no longer available. If they no longer wanted to carry on the partnership it should have been settled back in 2016 to allow Turks a better chance of getting a 2017 drive.
That's why I don't think it's Plato's doing. If it was Colin would have been out a lot earlier. All sounds like lack of budget or cuts than anything political to me.

The only political thing I could think of would be Subaru being concerned about losing the drivers title because Colin and Jason would share too many points so they went for Jason only.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3702717)   #1592
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
That's why I don't think it's Plato's doing. If it was Colin would have been out a lot earlier. All sounds like lack of budget or cuts than anything political to me.

The only political thing I could think of would be Subaru being concerned about losing the drivers title because Colin and Jason would share too many points so they went for Jason only.
How about this for a (tin-foil hat) assessment of the situation?

Plato knows that he has little influence over who other teams will sign, but does have influence at BMR, BKR and 888.
So - he waits until most of the other potential rivals to him obtaining a title have their deals in place (Honda, WSR, Motorbase, PMR) and then when their are few front-running seats available - triggers an action within BMR that pushes Turkington out.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 14:11 (Ref:3702722)   #1593
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could Turks, Hill or Aron end up in a Eurotech Civic? Dan Lloyd showed it is still a good car - surely this must be an option for these guys?
Old 15 Jan 2017, 15:02 (Ref:3702726)   #1594
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I think the "Plato is behind the Turkington leaving BMR" posts are well wide of the mark. People on this and other boards said the same of Smiths departure; they were wrong then and I believe they are wrong now.

My money is on money being the reason. Turkington for whatever reasons never seems to be able to get much financial backing; his WSR rides relied on WSRs backing from RAC and eBay in the past. The notable point is they were WSRs backers, not Turkingtons.

The Silverline sponsorship at BMR was Platos deal; the Subaru was Platos deal. James Cole brings good backing and it's Warren's team. Colin has very little backing..,

Last edited by Alfisti; 15 Jan 2017 at 15:14.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3702737)   #1595
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I think the "Plato is behind the Turkington leaving BMR" posts are well wide of the mark. People on this and other boards said the same of Smiths departure; they were wrong then and I believe they are wrong now.

My money is on money being the reason. Turkington for whatever reasons never seems to be able to get much financial backing; his WSR rides relied on WSRs backing from RAC and eBay in the past. The notable point is they were WSRs backers, not Turkingtons.

The Silverline sponsorship at BMR was Platos deal; the Subaru was Platos deal. James Cole brings good backing and it's Warren's team. Colin has very little backing..,
I've said this before and I'll say it's again. As good as Colin is as a driver, as a spokesperson or the face of a potential sponsor he's an uncharismatic bore! I dunno if it's just how he is, or if he's a bit shy, but off track and on camera he's dull. He lacks the passion shown by the likes of Shedden and (Mat) Jackson and the ability to include sponsors in every interview.

As much as I dislike Plato, he's a good driver but an even greater businessman, he's actively worked hard to get deals together! Turkington is a good driver (I'm not going to say great as I personally feel he's a bit overrated but that's just me and I don't want to start a war) but has only got to where he is through the hard work of others or paid seats being available at the right time.

I'm sure if he went on a PR or Marketing course it could work wonders.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 16:51 (Ref:3702738)   #1596
Liquoriceman
Racer

England
Lancashire
Liquoriceman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always strikes me that Mrs Turkington handles the business side of things whilst Colin just does the peddling!
Old 15 Jan 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3702743)   #1597
ExplodeTheApex
Racer

United Kingdom
ExplodeTheApex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what was the reason for Smith's departure?
Old 15 Jan 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3702746)   #1598
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Plato may not be the most popular driver but he isn't daft, more to the point nobody can really argue with his record can they. Colin did have a good season last year but he hardly wiped the floor with Plato, they both stood on the podium 10 times and they both went into the final round with a mathematical chance of being champion. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Plato had another title to his name next year, perhaps more important to him is the magical 100 wins though, with Colin out of the team that get's easier doesn't it.
5 wins to Plato's 1. Plato only had a mathematical chance and finished outside the top 5 for the first time in his career. If that's not close to dominating him, I don't know what is
Old 15 Jan 2017, 18:24 (Ref:3702751)   #1599
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Dan Welch at ASI today, obviously hasn't given up just yet.

In my opinion he really deserves a top drive to show his true talent - back in 2012 / 13 he was a regular points finisher and top ten runner in the Proton...
Old 15 Jan 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3702757)   #1600
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
5 wins to Plato's 1. Plato only had a mathematical chance and finished outside the top 5 for the first time in his career. If that's not close to dominating him, I don't know what is
I disagree, if they were both in with a shout of the title at the final round how can he have dominated him, if you compare him to Cole or Scott then yes, that is wiping the floor with them.