Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 12 May 2004, 21:39 (Ref:969212)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lens Help

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

It's May and I still haven't used my camera at all (September was the last - so hope it still works), but at the moment I have a 300mm Telephoto Lens onto my Vivitar camera body. Having had use of it last year the annoying thing was that I couldn't zoom in/out at all - only change the focus point, so basically I'm looking for a lens that will be more practical - be able to zoom, focus all your fancy stuff (You can tell I know bugger all!)

What should I go out and get ?

Thanks
Old 12 May 2004, 22:14 (Ref:969258)   #2
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Lens Help

Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Thanks
A new lens I'm guessing...
LOL

Martin
(sorry, the barn door was open...)

Last edited by Hugewally; 12 May 2004 at 22:15.
Old 14 May 2004, 03:59 (Ref:970490)   #3
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Re: Re: Lens Help

I'm only using Canon lenses so I really haven't a clue on what is out there for a vivitar mount. I would suggest though maybe a mid-range zoom like 70-200 or 300? Some go up to 400 I believe. Canon even came out with a 28-300 zoom. All depends if that 300mm you used got you close enough to what you wanted (or too close). Just make sure you keep an eye on the f/stop as you don't want to get a lens with too high a number as that'll hurt you on those overcast days.

Martin
Old 14 May 2004, 12:32 (Ref:970845)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've only used two lenses since 1992. A 28-80 and 100-300. Both Canon USM. I guess I'd like more but I can't afford 'em (particularly after splashing out on a 10D). I also use a 2x extender.
Old 14 May 2004, 12:53 (Ref:970870)   #5
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
I have the 2x also, but hardly use it as I think it's a piece of doo-doo.

But the 1.4x is a beautiful little piece of glass!!!

Martin
Old 14 May 2004, 13:04 (Ref:970887)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My 2x is pretty **** too, but from the tribunes on a hot sunny day, it just about does the business......
Old 15 May 2004, 01:01 (Ref:971452)   #7
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Lens Help

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

It's May and I still haven't used my camera at all (September was the last - so hope it still works), but at the moment I have a 300mm Telephoto Lens onto my Vivitar camera body. Having had use of it last year the annoying thing was that I couldn't zoom in/out at all - only change the focus point, so basically I'm looking for a lens that will be more practical - be able to zoom, focus all your fancy stuff (You can tell I know bugger all!)

Thanks
You haven't stated what you take pictures of or for. if you take it to the races and are in a spectator area, can you not get enough of the foreground in your frame? A 300mm non-zoom is ok for bird (two legged or feathered) watching. Perhaps a 70/75/80 to 210 zoom would provide more flexibility.
Old 15 May 2004, 08:43 (Ref:971542)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep I'm in a spectator area, although 9 times out of 10 I am at my closest circuit, Knockhill which has pretty few high fences and lets you get close to the track.

So would a 210 zoom go further than a 300 telephoto ??
Old 15 May 2004, 09:20 (Ref:971548)   #9
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lens(es)

Quote:
Yep I'm in a spectator area, although 9 times out of 10 I am at my closest circuit, Knockhill which has pretty few high fences and lets you get close to the track.

So would a 210 zoom go further than a 300 telephoto ??
No, it would not get you as `close' but would provide more flexibility. As you haven't defined your problem with the images you get, I would assume that you woukd keep the 300. Anything in a higher magnification (400mm+) would be extremely difficult to hold steady enough to get a sharp image and you would need a tripod or a monopod. A 2x teleconverter might be an econominal solution to the need for more than 300mmm (get closer to the action). Your Vivitar cameras lens threads might be difficult to match up lenses. Definitely check out used equipment.
Old 15 May 2004, 11:13 (Ref:971604)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
There's no problem really, except from I'm forced into always having it zoomed in the same amount all the time.

The Vivitar mount is like a push and lock sort of system, however I have an adaptor that allowed me to thread on the Telephoto Lens.

Does the 2x teleconverter fix onto an existing lens ?

Thanks again, I'm sure you think I'm a nightmare with these questions..!
Old 16 May 2004, 01:07 (Ref:972036)   #11
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
adapt!

Quote:
Does the 2x teleconverter fix onto an existing lens ?
Thanks again, I'm sure you think I'm a nightmare with these questions..!
It would mount between the camera body and the lens. As you have an adapter of some sort already, you now have the choice of a bayonet or thread mount converter. Best bet now would be to take all to a "well known" camera store in a big city and ask for some demonstrations. If it becomes too expensive, you know what to ask "Father Christmas" to bring.
Old 16 May 2004, 20:14 (Ref:972761)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I think my plan of action now is to look out for a zoom lens then a 2x converter. Today was the first I had used the camera since September 03 and boy was I rusty, the main problem that sprung on me again today was the inability to take side on shots of cars with a telephoto lens.

Thanks for all your help bear and everyone else.
Old 17 May 2004, 22:27 (Ref:973908)   #13
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
You might be able to rent a zoom lens and teleconverter from your local camera shop to try out at the next race...

Martin