Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 25 Sep 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3457656)   #26
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
That said, there's 25 (entry list says 26, with a 'TBA' thrown in there) SsangYongs and about 5 million BMW's at this weekends SuperTourer meeting.
Things are looking up then! I admire what BMW have done with the E30 series.

My guess is that it will look as though crowd numbers are healthier than usual, as the E30 is well supported by family and friends. Hopefully, spectators will enjoy the spectacle of actually seeing cars on the track and report that back to the promoters.

I really hope this is a great well supported meeting as it could well be a turning point in local motorsport.

Having said that, personally, I'm still not a fan of one/two make series, other than the Alfa series, where there is a great variety of models and they have sensibly broadened to include other Italian cars.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3457668)   #27
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car 24 is a very nice car NZST fan and that is my target for the weekend if I can beat him I'm doing well as a very good peddler, we think our cars should be pretty even this week so should come down to the man behind the wheel.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 05:49 (Ref:3466663)   #28
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first go at racing!

I had my first go in a 2kCup car this weekend just gone at a very wet HD. So, if you want a laugh, below is a video of me trying to be a race car driver in someone else's car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3GB...a5lGP_04E3WRvg

I must say though, what a fantastic concept for an affordable class. Everyone was very friendly and there was a real nice atmosphere, even though cyclone bola decided to pop by!!!

It was nice to meet flying duck, albeit for a brief hand shake before he went out in his Lantis, no doubt going much quicker than me!

Apparently it is the biggest class to have ever existed in NZ in terms of driver entries etc. Happy to be corrected on that though.

But anyway, have a giggle at what a non-racer tries to achieve in his first outing. See if you can find the Pukeko that I almost knocked over on the last lap.

Big thanks to George M who owns the #24 Civiltrain racing Mazda Lantis for making this happen. PS he also had a go on the day and that vid can be found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE-k...a5lGP_04E3WRvg

His quickest lap was some 5 seconds quicker than mine!!!
Also, for some reason I seem to think that yelling at cars in front of me will make them move out of my way!! (so sorry for any foul language that found its way onto the GoPros
Old 20 Oct 2014, 09:02 (Ref:3466706)   #29
Rocket Man
Rookie

Rocket Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Impressed NZSTFAN
You did a good job in those conditions.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3466888)   #30
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tough day for a first outing!
Looks (and sounds) like you had fun, perhaps it's time for a second Civiltrain Lantis to join the field?
Old 20 Oct 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3466936)   #31
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Thanks guys
I have found myself delving into the depths of Trademe in the 'cars under $2000' section. I am amazed at what you can actually buy for that kind of money. I even found a 2003 ford mondeo (which I don't think you can have in 2kCup??, but anyway) with 175,000 on the clock and running the 2L Zetec engine with 5 speed g/box. They have an excellent chassis those cars, as did the Focus of the same era. I've owned 2 Mondeos of that model or similar and my first one was bought with 145,000 km on the clock....that was still going strong when it hit 200,000 km, and then I bought a slightly newer one.

I wonder when a 5kCup and 10kCup will happen the potential growth for this fun style formula is huge I reckon..
Old 20 Oct 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3466952)   #32
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post

I wonder when a 5kCup and 10kCup will happen the potential growth for this fun style formula is huge I reckon..
Hopefully never!!! The last thing that 2K cup needs is to be bas-tard-ised.

It's proving to be a perfectly good working formula so doesn't need to be messed with

Reading the rules I can only imagine the work that James put into this to get it set up with regard to eligible cars etc etc, however as time goes by the likes of the 2003 Mondeo will become available for $2k so the category will/should naturally develop to future proof itself

Last edited by CDM; 20 Oct 2014 at 23:25. Reason: didnt like my bas tard ised word LoL
Old 21 Oct 2014, 05:50 (Ref:3466995)   #33
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Fair call CDM. I have heard that some of the cars are having 20 to 30k spent on them post purchase! Engine blueprinting etc.
Now thats serious coin for what the class represents.
It will be interesting watching the class evolve.

Stu
Old 21 Oct 2014, 06:19 (Ref:3467000)   #34
CDM
Racer

Quote:
Fair call CDM. I have heard that some of the cars are having 20 to 30k spent on them post purchase! Engine blueprinting etc.
Now thats serious coin for what the class represents.

Stu
$30k sounds like a vicious rumour, not sure you could hide even $20k's worth of spending without creating suspicion in a class like that.

From memory both Islands have a rule that if the committee suspect any car of cheating then it can be bought at any stage for $2500-00. So if Charlie wants to waste his $30k then thats up to him...

No one is debating that guys are spending more than $2k, I know that I have by the time you buy the car, then new wheels & tyres (as came with 17's), decent brake pads etc etc but you CAN compete with a 2K car and lots of guys are.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 06:41 (Ref:3467005)   #35
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Thanks CDM. I do hope it's just the rumour mill on P.

So which car do you run mate?
Old 21 Oct 2014, 07:20 (Ref:3467012)   #36
CDM
Racer

Quote:
Thanks CDM. I do hope it's just the rumour mill on P.

So which car do you run mate?
Just one of the AE111 Toyota Levins
Old 21 Oct 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3467154)   #37
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald...-grand-success

Read all about it.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3467331)   #38
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was at a meeting tonight and the hosts had a 2K cup car on site. They did their research and got exactly what they wanted for just $1500 as an ex dealer trade in.

The car looked superb but they had put in a lot of time tidying it up, but they not only have incredibly high standards, but considerable expertise.

The driver (who races another classic car) claimed it was just as enjoyable as driving his regular car and was adamant that the driving standards overall were certainly more respectful of other's machinery than the higher echelons. That says a lot.
Old 7 May 2015, 04:35 (Ref:3535018)   #39
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Anyone else heard about the top guys in the NI 2kCup getting stung after this weekends round at HD with regards to cheating?

I have it on good faith from a competitor that this is true, and that the category may not do anything about it!

That's a real shame for what is essentially a 'gateway' series. Sounds like its people who have been in the sport for some time, but it paints a bad picture to up and comers that cheating is ok....

2kCup is really a fantastic 'concept'...I love it to bits, but to hear this is a bit stink TBH
Old 7 May 2015, 05:33 (Ref:3535027)   #40
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cheating is so obvious, so blatant. It is a great concept, which is why many people are reluctant to bad mouth it, but the cheating is there and has been since the first round. I guess the key is just to get out there and have a bit f fun without taking it or yourself, too seriously.

They appear to be withholding the points, but I'm unsure why. I tried to find something in their Facebook page, but nothing was forthcoming. So then I went I their website, still nothing but there is an active forum. I checked this out but found it was locked down so you could only access it if you are a racer.

Argh, good old Motorsport in New Zealand. Even our "cheapest" and apparently most accessible form still has the barriers up in full force.
Old 7 May 2015, 07:43 (Ref:3535057)   #41
CDM
Racer

People are pretty damn pathetic if they need to cheat to win a series that's firmly at the bottom of the Motorsport ladder.

For the record and before you tar all 2K cup competitors with your cheating brush, I understand its just one North Island car out of the probably 200 cars that competed in 2K cup throughout NZ this year. And "if the Series isn't doing anything about it", then why are the points not published???
Old 8 May 2015, 00:45 (Ref:3535324)   #42
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
For some people it's all about the glory, no matter what level, just have a look at schoolboy rugby matches with some of the parents on the sideline! It's pretty disgraceful actually.
Old 8 May 2015, 01:45 (Ref:3535339)   #43
CDM
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
For some people it's all about the glory, no matter what level, just have a look at schoolboy rugby matches with some of the parents on the sideline! It's pretty disgraceful actually.
Plenty of other classes for those people to puff up their ego's in.

IMO If you're in 2K cup solely to win, then you're in the wrong class!
Old 8 May 2015, 03:34 (Ref:3535374)   #44
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it just needs a very simple solution. I'm not part of the series, so I don't know exactly how to fix it, but here is a suggestion:

2k cup is meant to be an entry level motorsport series, so what if you could only compete in it for a set number of seasons, whether it be one, two or three. You must then step up, either to SS2000 (not that far ahead in terms of pace to the back of the grid, and costs are comparative), or even a 2k+ or 5k cup or something like that.

This way 2k remains entry level and those who are getting bored and want to get more out of it, can do so in another series.
Old 8 May 2015, 04:24 (Ref:3535386)   #45
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Sorry, totally disagree. The organisers already have the right to challenge the cheaters and it is up to them to administer the series to maintain it the way they want.

Are you suggesting Racing Ray Williams and Paul McCarthy for example, should be banned just because they are experienced?

I haven't ruled out sharing a car with my grandson, but at my age (same as Ray Williams!), I have no intention or ambition to 'move up'. By all accounts, the mix of experienced and entry level works well - and the entry level philosophy relates to the costs, not the ability.
Old 8 May 2015, 05:13 (Ref:3535395)   #46
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is 2k Cup motor racing or motor participation? If it's motor racing then most people are there to win something. Hence the term racing. If it's racing then some people will cheat their ass off to win because that's what some people do. Just look at ST in the first year or two, everyone knew what the concept of the series was, but did everyone buy in to that? NO.

Just remember some of the low life back stabbing sneaky little pricks you meet in your day to day lives also race motor cars.

You can have a running race; can you also have a jogging race? and will people cheat? Jogging is slow running so dose the slowest jogger win?
Ahh I'm all confused.
Old 8 May 2015, 12:01 (Ref:3535483)   #47
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Good to see you back on the forum Jerico!
Old 9 May 2015, 00:18 (Ref:3535689)   #48
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
The cheating is so obvious, so blatant. It is a great concept, which is why many people are reluctant to bad mouth it, but the cheating is there and has been since the first round. I guess the key is just to get out there and have a bit f fun without taking it or yourself, too seriously.

They appear to be withholding the points, but I'm unsure why. I tried to find something in their Facebook page, but nothing was forthcoming. So then I went I their website, still nothing but there is an active forum. I checked this out but found it was locked down so you could only access it if you are a racer.

Argh, good old Motorsport in New Zealand. Even our "cheapest" and apparently most accessible form still has the barriers up in full force.
The series has released its points and a technical committee to I force the rules on a more serious basis for the top runner but ain't trying to put barriers in front of new guys competing for the fun of the sport.

As for our forum, yes we have a section that is only to be accessed by competitors. This allows a place for discussions that are only needed to be seen by driver. We choose not to air our dirty laundry in public and as we had over 100 cars scored points so need a touch point with competitors.