Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Oct 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3315017)   #51
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing I find puzzling in all this. Did the circuit owner know that the operating company was breaching the restrictions placed by the council? If it was aware why did it not take action? If it wasn't aware then it should have been!
I was at an historic meeting at Mallory a few years back and there was a motoX event taking place concurrently. What a racket!!
Old 9 Oct 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3315041)   #52
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yes, very true and very sad. The question is: who's fault is that?
I have no idea!
Old 9 Oct 2013, 09:51 (Ref:3315053)   #53
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The question is, did the general manager of the operating company know the regulations when he allowed the activities above the level permitted by the planning agreement to take place, indeed events he was active in planning and promoting?

If he did, he is responsible for the situation, if not, he's incompetent as he should have know.

In either case, I'd suggest that deciding to employ him would be harmful to a business.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 09:52 (Ref:3315055)   #54
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
One thing I find puzzling in all this. Did the circuit owner know that the operating company was breaching the restrictions placed by the council? If it was aware why did it not take action? If it wasn't aware then it should have been!
I was at an historic meeting at Mallory a few years back and there was a motoX event taking place concurrently. What a racket!!
Of course he knew, I bet like JP he knows the ins and outs of everything that happens there. The Autocross circuit was a major and no doubt very expensive blunder, a child could have ran the operation better and legally. Surely if you take on something with a set of restrictions and rules in place you do your homework first and work out a business plan to see if its a viable operation within those restrictions and if it is go for it, surely you don't plan to violate those restrictions from day one, it's either a profitable and viable operation doing it correctly or its not end of story.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3315064)   #55
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
To avoid paying the £25,500 fine levied against the old MPML .....it's not that hard to figure is it?
Many of these kinds of penalties penetrate the corporate veil, so the directors could find themselves personally liable if they do what seems to be happening. Also, TUPE regulations will be automatically invoked when it comes to any staff who've worked at the track.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 11:46 (Ref:3315118)   #56
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, but it just means you give the job a different name and change the job description a bit
eg. Security guard become site supervisor, Job description now includes specific number of times they need to check doors etc in a shift. Hey presto new job.

As they say been there, got the tee shirt. (not as a security guard though)
Old 9 Oct 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3315133)   #57
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, a question to those of you who run companies, or are in positions where you employ workers.

Would you employ someone who has deliberately breached planning regulations for several years, leading to the collapse of a company?
Old 11 Oct 2013, 13:38 (Ref:3316280)   #58
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is very interesting. The local council come out very well unlike the BARC!!

It starts about 8 minutes in and is worth persevering with.

http://audio.rpix.org.uk/mwm/8/mwm8-37.mp3
Old 11 Oct 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3316303)   #59
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very interesting listen. I hope the people who've been abusing people through social media are totally ashamed of themselves.
I hope that the circuit survives because my love of motorsport started there in the early 1970s, but I also hope it gets a fresh start away from the tarnished image it now has. It can still be an important and popular venue but it needs new management with fresh ideas and a commitment to the local area.
I've never heard a more reasoned and reasonable performance from any local council representative and I hope he manages to broker a successful future for the circuit.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 16:00 (Ref:3316319)   #60
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was worth listening to

That is a very interesting listen. As others have said, the Local Authority employee was most impressive. (Not words which have passed my lips before. )

While one can understand the BARC not wanting to engage in public discussion, they are clearly not getting their side of the situation out where people can make a considered and informed decision.

Stepping back from the rights and wrongs of how Mallory arrived at this position, what matters to most of us is what might be done to return to financially viable motorsport next season.

I'm not aware of which forums are posting hateful remarks about the local residents (apart from one comment on Tenths which was well out of order) but we need to make sure that locals and the council see the overwhelmingly sensible and reasonable approach taken by real motorsport enthusiasts to the development of a shared way forward.

Jim Whitaker
Old 11 Oct 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3316323)   #61
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post

I'm not aware of which forums are posting hateful remarks about the local residents (apart from one comment on Tenths which was well out of order) but we need to make sure that locals and the council see the overwhelmingly sensible and reasonable approach taken by real motorsport enthusiasts to the development of a shared way forward.

Jim Whitaker
Twitter, Facebook and P-H are just three that I read and they don't make for balanced arguments. The bike threads are I expect even more vociferous, they normally are. Reasoned debate in most other parts of the internet to Tenths takes the form of shouting your point of view and accusing anyone not agreeing of being a NIMBY or worse.

And don't let the facts get in the way of your prejudices.....
Old 11 Oct 2013, 16:11 (Ref:3316327)   #62
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Yes, a very interesting listen. I am also seeing the BARC in a totally different light now too. They don't appear to be the upstanding organisation that others have made them out to be after all.
My first hope is for Mallory Park Race Circuit to survive and indeed, prosper. My second hope is that when this happens, none of the original management team who appear to have run the place into the ground and actively caused all of the ill feeling by simply flouting the noise restrictions gain from the new success of Mallory Park.
My final hope is that if The BARC have been less than honest in their behaviour, that they too are taken to task and their misdeeds are exposed for all to see!
Old 11 Oct 2013, 16:20 (Ref:3316338)   #63
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've listened to this in full and it's pretty obvious what's gone on here.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3316343)   #64
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
That is a very interesting listen. As others have said, the Local Authority employee was most impressive. (Not words which have passed my lips before. )
I've been very impressed by Mallory's Local Council throughout this whole debacle. They obviously want to keep the Circuit as a racing venue and I feel comfortable with that. This obviously isn't a NIMBY situation and is purely down to bad management. Hopefully all concerned can learn from the mistakes made and come up with a new organisation that can run the place in a more people friendly fashion that will suit the locals and racers alike.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3316350)   #65
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
I've been very impressed by Mallory's Local Council throughout this whole debacle. They obviously want to keep the Circuit as a racing venue and I feel comfortable with that. This obviously isn't a NIMBY situation and is purely down to bad management. Hopefully all concerned can learn from the mistakes made and come up with a new organisation that can run the place in a more people friendly fashion that will suit the locals and racers alike.
I agree with much of what you've said there Alan but I'm not sure that 'bad management' per se is at the root of this. Everything that's happened, including this final move, appears to have been well thought through. If you consider this holistically, it appears that there's somebody in here seeking to achieve an objective... and it looks like they've pursued various forms of brinkmanship to that end
Old 11 Oct 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3316353)   #66
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Everything that's happened, including this final move, appears to have been well thought through. If you consider this holistically, it appears that there's somebody in here seeking to achieve an objective... and it looks like they've pursued various forms of brinkmanship to that end
...which I consider bad (or irresponsible) management
Old 11 Oct 2013, 17:00 (Ref:3316354)   #67
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
...which I consider bad (or irresponsible) management
Ah OK... I get you... Sorry I'd thought you'd meant incompetence. My bad.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 17:08 (Ref:3316357)   #68
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Ah OK... I get you... Sorry I'd thought you'd meant incompetence. My bad.
That as well.......
Old 11 Oct 2013, 22:36 (Ref:3316482)   #69
Pescara Productions
Rookie

United Kingdom
The worst road in Leicestershire
Pescara Productions should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard rumors that the BARC have tried to require the usage of the circuit under the new company and have been unable to so. Maybe they've been turned down, who knows. I ave also heard that John Bloor, owner of Triumph is interested in the circuit and also MSVR have emerged as an interested party.

Just rumor's though, although I'd love the MSVR one to be true.

The radio interview is extremely surprising in my view as my local council/Mallory's council have been absolutely useless in the past with just about everything and to be fair they've handled this well. They were a bit late to start with but they gave MPML a relatively lenient fine and to even tell them what to do about sound proofing is quite a shock for me. If they care about the place that much then they clearly see it as some relevance. It's just a shame that MPML didn't want to bother. I think the more this radio interview spreads the more and more people are beginning to see the bigger picture. I wonder how much trouble the BARC will get in for being so irresponsible with the sport they are trusted with.
Old 12 Oct 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3316755)   #70
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescara Productions View Post

Just rumor's though, although I'd love the MSVR one to be true.

The radio interview is extremely surprising in my view as my local council/Mallory's council have been absolutely useless in the past with just about everything and to be fair they've handled this well. They were a bit late to start with but they gave MPML a relatively lenient fine and to even tell them what to do about sound proofing is quite a shock for me. If they care about the place that much then they clearly see it as some relevance. It's just a shame that MPML didn't want to bother. I think the more this radio interview spreads the more and more people are beginning to see the bigger picture. I wonder how much trouble the BARC will get in for being so irresponsible with the sport they are trusted with.
I think rumours come under the same heading as assumptions....you can make an awful fool of yourself if you believe them.....

As to the fine....of course that had nothing to do with the Council - it was the Court which assessed and ordered the fine.....

Having listened to all of that radio interview I do agree however that the Council leader seemed eminently sensible and the investigations into the financial side of BARC/MPML do prompt some questions. One can't help but think that BARC's next AGM will be interesting.....
Old 14 Oct 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3317772)   #71
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/20...ark-statement/

Is this just 'brinkmanship' by BARC ....... on just another move in the soap opera.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3317790)   #72
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've put these out via all the PR agencies so it is costing them! I reckon they know that Titan are doing a deal with another party and BARC want to come out as an "injured" party!
Old 14 Oct 2013, 16:53 (Ref:3317802)   #73
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
They've put these out via all the PR agencies so it is costing them! I reckon they know that Titan are doing a deal with another party and BARC want to come out as an "injured" party!
is that "injured" as in "self-inflicted"?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 17:07 (Ref:3317809)   #74
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If MSVR take on the circuit, you can probably expect the return of British Superbikes as MSV manage that series.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 17:16 (Ref:3317812)   #75
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems to me that it's a good way for Titan to get rid of a troublesome tenant.