Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Sep 2002, 13:49 (Ref:381555)   #1
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not call it 'CAN-AM'

With the outstanding support shown to CART by the Canadians (Sponsors & Spectators alike), why not rename the series Can-Am?
Old 16 Sep 2002, 14:00 (Ref:381561)   #2
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
You might want to check out my (as well as the other posts) in the ..."man the stands were empty post."

But yeah, Can-Am or UK-Am or something would be good.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 15:27 (Ref:381645)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah... Can-Am has to have fenders.

But there's Formula Mundial, as it's called in Latin America... Not allowed to call it Formula Indy, so that's shot.

I doubt the FIA'd ever allow them to call it Formula 2. Formula 5000 was the forerunner, but the phrase "Formula 2650" doesn't really roll of the tounge very well. Formula Cosworth?
Old 16 Sep 2002, 16:39 (Ref:381688)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can-Am was sports cars. I'm all for bringing them back though.

Besides, with two races in Mexico it'd have to be MexCan-Am. Or CanAMEx. Which sounds as if it's sponsored by American Express.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 18:14 (Ref:381750)   #5
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Formula Grand Prix or Formula GP for short. My reasoning is based on assumptions that I can't back up with any data, just gut feel:

1. I don't think anyone owns the rights to "Grand Prix".

2. Most people relate the term to top end motor racing so it has marketing sizzle for the general public.

3. It's not region specific but rather a global term so it doesn't make any difference where you hold your races. I beleive terms like North America, Can-Am and the like may put off non-North Americans. CART is truly a global sport.

4. It is not formula specific so you can change the specs with relatively little impact to the average viewer. Where if you say things like Formula Turbo you're stuck.

5. Most of the current CART races are already labled GP so you don't have race name changes that the average person won't understand.

Remember we here are motorheads. Most people buying seats just want to take their kid to a special event. I don't even think that most sponsor's marketing people even know what their getting into. The IRL proves that to me. They hear Indy and buy in. They here CART and think their sponsoring the go-kart they had as a kid. The actual numbers seem to be meaningless.

Last edited by Flatspot; 16 Sep 2002 at 18:16.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 19:06 (Ref:381796)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm slowly but surely becoming accustomed to "ChampCar". I don't know why... at first I hated it.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 19:22 (Ref:381813)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Many moons ago, before IRL, before CART there was USAC - they used the term "ChampCar." I liked it then and still do. I know that the Can-Am was a sports racing formula but why not borrow the concept and (if Mr. Pook can shovel enough cash at USAC to use the name) have something called "The ChampCar World Series."

Then you end the CART/kart confusion, maintain a separate identity from the Invisibles and don't step on any F1 toes. Plus for the hard-core fan you have a name that directly links you back to the roots of the current formula.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 21:41 (Ref:381933)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the CART name. It's confusing, but I love it.

Well. I always see in RACER's "We Remember" section Indy racing being referred as "National Championship"...
Old 17 Sep 2002, 00:18 (Ref:382031)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have always liked Champ Cars. It's Championshp Automobile Racing Teams, so Champ Cars is a legitimate shortcut.

Of course it doesn't have the cachet of "crapwagons" though ...
Old 17 Sep 2002, 02:22 (Ref:382064)   #10
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've grown to like the name Champ Cars. This series is about a championship not about just one race.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 02:25 (Ref:382065)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, Champ Cars is what the series has become known as.. if you want a big name, maybe 'The Champ Car World Series', championship or something like that...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Sep 2002, 22:16 (Ref:382873)   #12
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

Besides, with two races in Mexico it'd have to be MexCan-Am. Or CanAMEx. Which sounds as if it's sponsored by American Express.
If there were more races in Europe it could be called EuroCanAmex. Which sounds like it is sponsored by a European soft drinks can manufacturer AND American Express.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 22:19 (Ref:382878)   #13
69Camaro
Rookie

69Camaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or EUROCANAMEX.
Yikes.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:14 (Ref:382931)   #14
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can Am is a trademark name, anyway. I believe it belongs to the SCCA. When Pontiac named their car "Trans Am", they had to pay SCCA $5 per car for the honor (under threat of litigation). Kept SCCA afloat for many years.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:16 (Ref:382934)   #15
JP
Rookie

JP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those in the USA, does the term Champ Cars not create more confusion? Thing is, USAC never stopped running Champ Cars. They're offically called Silver Crown cars now (or even for a while Silver Bullets) but if you look under the heading "Champ Cars" in the back of National Speed Sport News, you'll find that real Champ Cars (which still come in dirt or pavement varieties) have their engines in the front.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 02:18 (Ref:383018)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I think "Champ Cars" as a term is inextricably linked to today's CART-formula car. The Silver Crown series is a whole different ballgame and would be cause for little, if any confusion between the series. As you noted JP, Silver Crown cars are front engined, run on dirt or asphalt and are really a throwback to the pre-Lotus type of Indy-car if you will.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 11:28 (Ref:383291)   #17
Liz
Veteran

I never heard of those silver bullet things. I thought silver bullet was some kind of beer.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 23:50 (Ref:383804)   #18
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the National Association for Superfast Champcar Action-packed Auto racing! Just Kidding!
Old 19 Sep 2002, 02:00 (Ref:383841)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"1. I don't think anyone owns the rights to "Grand Prix". "
- I think Bernie does

How about the Surfers Race?
CanAMMexAUK Professional Championship Motor Racing Automobile Series?
Old 19 Sep 2002, 02:01 (Ref:383842)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hangon, I should say I think Bernie think Bernie does