Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 9 Sep 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1706093)   #1
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Hamilton - GP2 Champion 2006

Lewis Hamilton has won this years championship. Giorgio Pantano has had his fastest lap removed due to a yellow flag infringement handing fastest lap and the bonus point to Lewis Hamilton. The point has now put Hamilton out of reach of Piquet and given him the Championship.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/54385

Well done Lewis, fantastic season and a well deserved championship. Lets hope we get to see him racing in F1 next year.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1706123)   #2
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats Lewis It's a shame it's effectively decided in the stewards office on a totally unrelated incident but well done nonetheless
Old 9 Sep 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1706125)   #3
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of an anti-climax that.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1706138)   #4
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed. I'd rather the title was sorted on the track (and live on Eurosport...). However, the rules mean that Hamilton gets the point for fastest lap and Piquet wasn't quite fast enough. Full marks to Lewis on winning GP2 in his debut season against those more experienced.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1706143)   #5
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bravo Lewis, congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Hope to see you testing a McLaren next week.

If Lewis matches or beats Pedro when testing i think he should get the nod to race this year!
Old 9 Sep 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1706148)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bleh, would've preferred to see it go down to the wire.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1706162)   #7
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Ironically Eurosport by delaying coverage could have announced at the end that Pantano had had his lap taken away...
Old 9 Sep 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1706243)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, exactly. Thus this has come as a shock to me!

Oh well, congrats Lewis! Shame it didn't go down to the last but, let's face it, it hasn't made a real difference I doubt.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 06:36 (Ref:1706356)   #9
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's taken Lewis two years to win previous championships in the best car.

This year he did it in the first year. I don't care if it was the best car, that, to me, is proof enough that he is now up to the job to drive in F1. McLaren should buy him a seat in a lower team next year and let him cut his teeth. He's better than Piquet, in my view
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 10 Sep 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1706432)   #10
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jinxx
He's better than Piquet, in my view

And mine, tbh I don't rate Piquet that highly at all though.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1706440)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, Piquet is great one weekend and average the next.

Maybe he will come into his own in F1, maybe not.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1706462)   #12
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Congrads to Lewis -- On Piquet -- there's no guarantee's he'll ever get a race seat if he doesn't outperform his companion test driver Zonta -- It will be interesting to see how it plays out next season.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1706501)   #13
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ron Dennis is quoted on the wires this morning as being "pretty certain" that Lewis will test for McLaren this month, before the Chinese GP...
Old 10 Sep 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1706517)   #14
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Congratulations Lewis Hamilton

Quote:
McLaren should buy him a seat in a lower team next year and let him cut his teeth.
I think presuming he's good enough that he should go straight into a McLaren, for one logical reason and one, for want of a word, "romantic" reason.

The logical one is to say that allteams should want a driver who is ready. The idea of learning the ropes in a smaller team implies that these teams should want less complete drivers. Of course, this is often what they get, either through not-so-good pay drivers, or good ones but who are not yet anywhere near the finished article that they will become. But why should they want any less than the big teams, hence my point that if you're ready for F1, you're ready in one way or another. Sure, there is an apparant increased pressure in a top team, but the truth is that there is pressure whichever team a driver is in.

Quite a simple point, but hard for me to explain, so I hope what I said is fairly clear there. And, my other reason, well, wouldn't it be nice for McLaren if he goes on to be a future F1 star, and had only driven for them? A McLaren driver through and through if you like.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1707406)   #15
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations Lewis! You have been the man all season and it's great news for British Motorsport that you've got the job done - the only way is F1 now and I really hope Ron gets a race seat sorted for you for 06.

I'm so glad Piquet didn't win it - can't wait to see the arrogant sod's dispirated face on the ITV coverage next weekend!

I agree with the comments above. On his day he's sheer class but those days don't come consistently enough and when he's not on it he's pretty average. Its just his whole attitude that stinks to me and I could never find myself supporting him - a top contender for Sir Schumies now vacated throne in that department then!
Old 10 Sep 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1707434)   #16
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Gaz, I think you should try reading this. It might not change your mind about the guy, but at least you may understand him better.

It's from autosport.com, which I believe is now generally available without subscription.

My congratulations to Lewis, too. He has done a remarkable job.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 08:21 (Ref:1707650)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yep, fair play to Lewis Hamilton.

An outstanding talent bcked up by a top team.

Best of luck in the F1 tests (could this be Silverstone next week??!!!).
Old 11 Sep 2006, 08:28 (Ref:1707660)   #18
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't read it strider as its subsciption.

Everytime I've ever seen or heard anything from him he's either been throwing a tan trum, sorely losing or telling the world how great he is when in fact he's not won much in his career (a South American F3 crown against highly questionable opposition and the British F3 crown against a grid of rookies and a guy who could barely afford the petrol to turn up at the meeting is not a stella CV!)

Its just good to see a down to earth, personable driver come out on top who has the talent to back up the hype - not some spoilt daddies boy!
Old 11 Sep 2006, 08:38 (Ref:1707674)   #19
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
mbathshah has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Eurosport

Congratulations to Lewis.

However I was pretty peeved off when I watched the delayed GP2 Race 1 coverage on Sunday morning only to find that Eurosport were running a live news ticker which gave away the result only 1 or two laps into the race! Absolutely disgraceful!

If you found it annoying please send an email to those Eurosport idiots at :

ukcomms@eurosport.com
Old 11 Sep 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1708070)   #20
Rushy
Racer

United Kingdom
Rushy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but you have to remember even if lewis hadnt won it for the fastest lap he still beat piquet the day after
Old 11 Sep 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1708319)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer

Best of luck in the F1 tests (could this be Silverstone next week??!!!).
Please let it be!!!!(next Wednesday)