Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 23 Oct 2015, 20:45 (Ref:3585069)   #176
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Classless inasmuch as there is no current series (there may have been once upon a time) or they have cars that are or were, built outside current series rules.

If someone puts say a Lexus V8 into a Falcodore but does not want to opt into a Sanctioned Series, then they could be deemed classless. Equally, any of the failed single seater series where there is no longer anywhere to race or once again, where someone puts a modern engine into an older car and puts themselves out of the criteria laid down by the classic/historic fraternity.
Old 24 Oct 2015, 05:40 (Ref:3585152)   #177
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Classless inasmuch as there is no current series (there may have been once upon a time) or they have cars that are or were, built outside current series rules.

If someone puts say a Lexus V8 into a Falcodore but does not want to opt into a Sanctioned Series, then they could be deemed classless. Equally, any of the failed single seater series where there is no longer anywhere to race or once again, where someone puts a modern engine into an older car and puts themselves out of the criteria laid down by the classic/historic fraternity.
Its called "Clubmans Racing" and happens all around the place, good heavens they have even been known to run at premier meetings during the summer season. Suggest that you take the time to look at what races on the South Island circuits outside of the #1 meeting of the year. Can not comment on the NI circuits as their websites are a tad short on information

Here is an extract from the program of events for the Southland Car Club's meeting in December:

featuring OSCA/Sport Saloons, South Island Formula Ford, NZ Six Saloons, Clubman Saloons & Sports & Racing Cars plus more

It is pretty normal fare.
Old 24 Oct 2015, 08:36 (Ref:3585181)   #178
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly! But reading Mark's post earlier, they are not a specific, organised or represented group therefore not part of the current structure, which is the point I was trying to make and as Mark has reinforced.

One grid at each meeting for what you are calling 'Clubmans'. Sorry, I am steeped in the past where Clubmans referred to Mallocks and other Lotus 7 type sports cars, and here, Frasers, Chevrons, Beatties etc.
Old 24 Oct 2015, 14:53 (Ref:3585245)   #179
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Exactly! But reading Mark's post earlier, they are not a specific, organised or represented group therefore not part of the current structure, which is the point I was trying to make and as Mark has reinforced.

One grid at each meeting for what you are calling 'Clubmans'. Sorry, I am steeped in the past where Clubmans referred to Mallocks and other Lotus 7 type sports cars, and here, Frasers, Chevrons, Beatties etc.
SOG's door is open to any motor racing organisation that is sufficiently structured to support a representative to SOG's.

There will always be the odd Premier Series meeting were there will be space on the card for a clubman's style open class, a case in point is the Televised CRC Motorsport IRC 26/27th March, Taupo meeting which features both the Ssangyong Utes and Toyota 86's Championships categories.

The rider for every organisation is that their SOG's representative has to be able to make a commitment in terms of guaranteeing sufficient cars on the grid to provide a spectacle.

Last edited by Mark Petch; 24 Oct 2015 at 14:59.
Old 24 Oct 2015, 16:03 (Ref:3585251)   #180
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Of course they are part of the current structure and an important part of it too. Club members or clubmans racing is the foundation of the sport has been ever since I started following the sport seriously back in the 1960's.

I know that this is away off topic but NZ too has history on it's side and while I appreciate that post war UK the less affluent built their sports cars out of scrap metal rather than modify saloons to go do their racing but seriously, could you make a race car out of a Series E Morris 8, an E93A Ford 10, a side valve Humber or a DX Vauxhall?

Post war New Zealand had access to USA cars and materials hence the opportunity for the club man to utilise a saloon car as well as a sports car for their sport.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 20:54 (Ref:3587915)   #181
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only a couple of days away from the biggest V8 race weekend that we get these days and the thread is dead?
No announcements, new entries or any discussion?

Good to see a few more TL's joining the grid for the weekend and a bringing new sponsors with them.

Big effort from Pilcher racing to grab a new sponsor and make the trek up from the deep south to join the party. Good luck for the weekend boys and girls.
Old 4 Nov 2015, 01:07 (Ref:3587987)   #182
MarcosAmbroseFan
Racer

New Zealand
Hamilton
MarcosAmbroseFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know the NZTC entry list is here http://www.v8superfans.co.nz/?p=6125
Old 4 Nov 2015, 08:25 (Ref:3588051)   #183
superstock
Rookie

New Zealand
lower hutt
superstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Central muscle cars are going to blow all the other classes away...
Old 4 Nov 2015, 10:59 (Ref:3588079)   #184
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I just love CMC
Old 4 Nov 2015, 19:56 (Ref:3588212)   #185
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Are CMC as good as they used to be.. given the speed difference of a couple of very, very fast guys at the front?
Old 4 Nov 2015, 21:16 (Ref:3588241)   #186
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Haven't seen them for a while I must admit.
Old 4 Nov 2015, 22:45 (Ref:3588255)   #187
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the Auckland weather is set to shine for another ITM event.

All forecasts point to sunshine and lollipops, temps around the 20-22 degC mark. Light breezes from the SW on Saturday, turning to a more westerly flow on the Sunday after lunch. Wind speeds are low as we bask under a decent high pressure system.

Hopefully the good skies will bring out the fans in their droves, and the racing is good, tight, and safe.

And Andy Booth is back, in a ute of all things that's got to be a good thing. I am hearing 16 UDC utes at this point. 23 or so NZTC's, and no doubt a bursting field of Ssangies. CMC will wow the crowds as usual.

There'll be decent food up on the hill as well, which is always nice. I hate having to spend two or sometimes three days at a meeting surviving on hot dogs, and grade F meat sandwiches. You feel like you need to join Jenny Craig at the end of it.

Anyway, I am sure its gonna be great, and I see Sky have a dedicated pop-up for the whole weekend, kicking off 2moro at 10am I think.

My best wishes go out to Andre in the SBR FG X. I know that things for him are quite tough at the moment and he could be out of a drive with SBR next year if Chris or Ant get their way. I think he has done well in his rookie season and will be trying his very best to get on the podium and deliver a solid result in front of a home crowd, and in front of SBR. He has the speed, no question about that.

I hope everyone enjoys their ITM weekend, however you are viewing it.

Cheers

Stu
Old 5 Nov 2015, 03:14 (Ref:3588286)   #188
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Ant' - as in Ant Pederson, but which 'Chris' are you referring to?
Old 5 Nov 2015, 04:30 (Ref:3588289)   #189
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
'Ant' - as in Ant Pederson, but which 'Chris' are you referring to?
Hi BSD, Chris as in Chris Pither. I believe both of them (Ant and Chris) have some good coin behind them, which is what will ultimately dictate the direction of who has the seat.
Chris has shown some really good form this year in the Enduros in the #34 Volvo.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 04:58 (Ref:3588290)   #190
MarcosAmbroseFan
Racer

New Zealand
Hamilton
MarcosAmbroseFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Hi BSD, Chris as in Chris Pither. I believe both of them (Ant and Chris) have some good coin behind them, which is what will ultimately dictate the direction of who has the seat.
Chris has shown some really good form this year in the Enduros in the #34 Volvo.
Yep I've heard Pither has almost 1 million AUD of sponsorship from ICE BREAK behind him.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 18:43 (Ref:3588412)   #191
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
My best wishes go out to Andre in the SBR FG X. I know that things for him are quite tough at the moment and he could be out of a drive with SBR next year if Chris or Ant get their way. I think he has done well in his rookie season and will be trying his very best to get on the podium and deliver a solid result in front of a home crowd, and in front of SBR. He has the speed, no question about that.
Speed isn't enough though Stu. I've seen lots of fastest laps claimed by bunnies who had no race-craft and no consistency, but they had speed! I'm not an Andre fan simply because I don't believe he ever had the natural talent that many of his peers do have. I have watched him over many years and his current position is the result of a multi-million dollar investment, mainly from family interests. I just don't believe he has that razor-sharp, instinctive race-craft that is needed at that level.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 03:34 (Ref:3588505)   #192
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
I beg to differ OTI, but that's just a difference of opinion. He still holds the world record for the youngest winner of FF I think? But anyway, you are entitled to your opinion

Went along today and if the punters on a Friday are anything to go by then we're in for a massive weekend (with limited parking!).

Scotties lap of a 1.03.1 is a new record by some margin I believe (for practice that is).

SBR struggled with car balance, but ended up in the 3's at P12, so some signs of encouragement. But you just look up and down pitlane and there is serious driving talent left right and centre. Those Aussies know how to put a cool category together that the average Joe public can relate too.

NZTC was ok, although our driver got clipped going in to the hairpin by some monkey in a TL who was off-line and then cut across the nose of our car! Bryce only managed a few laps at a track he has never been to before, and the incident resulted in a bent steering arm and some cosmetic damage. He had some colourful words to say on the state of TC racing in NZ. I hope they have safe racing this weekend......

Dunlops 2 secs a lap slower than the kooks. everyone is on the same tyre which is great, but they just don't last from what I have been told. But it is what it is. Apparently when these things go off, they really go off quickly, whereas the kook could be backed off and then come back again.

Just got a text saying that Murph turned some laps in the SBR car!!
Old 6 Nov 2015, 04:14 (Ref:3588511)   #193
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
It won't be much fun taking your car but train or bus travel is free with your ticket - taking the train to Pukekohe station was an option I was looking at until I decided not to go because it was too bloomin' expensive.

The new trains are nice too - although you will have to change for a diesel at Papakura.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 18:53 (Ref:3588615)   #194
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I beg to differ OTI, but that's just a difference of opinion. He still holds the world record for the youngest winner of FF I think? But anyway, you are entitled to your opinion

Went along today and if the punters on a Friday are anything to go by then we're in for a massive weekend (with limited parking!).

Scotties lap of a 1.03.1 is a new record by some margin I believe (for practice that is).

SBR struggled with car balance, but ended up in the 3's at P12, so some signs of encouragement. But you just look up and down pitlane and there is serious driving talent left right and centre. Those Aussies know how to put a cool category together that the average Joe public can relate too.

NZTC was ok, although our driver got clipped going in to the hairpin by some monkey in a TL who was off-line and then cut across the nose of our car! Bryce only managed a few laps at a track he has never been to before, and the incident resulted in a bent steering arm and some cosmetic damage. He had some colourful words to say on the state of TC racing in NZ. I hope they have safe racing this weekend......

Dunlops 2 secs a lap slower than the kooks. everyone is on the same tyre which is great, but they just don't last from what I have been told. But it is what it is. Apparently when these things go off, they really go off quickly, whereas the kook could be backed off and then come back again.

Just got a text saying that Murph turned some laps in the SBR car!!
if he doesn't like it.. no one is forcing "your driver" to be here. if that's in deed what he said. giving the speed difference between the two classes.. i'm surprised you as team boss.. didn't give "your driver" warning to be extra careful out there?

except the fact V8 Supertourers are dead (as are the old NZV8s). this new class doesn't use Hankook tyres.. so why constantly bring them up? grizzling about the drivers/teams taking part in this new series is also uncalled for. if it wasn't for them.. there would be no V8 class at all! the current class isn't perfect.. but what do you expect.. it's at a rebuilding phase. give it a chance to grow! who knows what it will turn into. it's not on V8SC level.. so why even bother to compare it to it?
Old 6 Nov 2015, 19:31 (Ref:3588622)   #195
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstock View Post
Central muscle cars are going to blow all the other classes away...
+ 1
Old 7 Nov 2015, 08:27 (Ref:3588753)   #196
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post

except the fact V8 Supertourers are dead (as are the old NZV8s). this new class doesn't use Hankook tyres.. so why constantly bring them up? grizzling about the drivers/teams taking part in this new series is also uncalled for. if it wasn't for them.. there would be no V8 class at all! the current class isn't perfect.. but what do you expect.. it's at a rebuilding phase. give it a chance to grow! who knows what it will turn into. it's not on V8SC level.. so why even bother to compare it to it?
+1
Old 7 Nov 2015, 10:08 (Ref:3588767)   #197
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So what was the no show from Team Kiwi today
Old 7 Nov 2015, 18:30 (Ref:3588824)   #198
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
So what was the no show from Team Kiwi today
I wondered too. As you probably know, both practised and one crashed with minor damage. What's the bet it will have something to do with unpaid monies? I'll ask around and see what I can find out.
Old 7 Nov 2015, 20:15 (Ref:3588849)   #199
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
A good day's racing by the looks of it on TV, though I missed the NZ V8 race.

Pity the CMC handicap was stuffed but fast forwarding, (I was in catch up mode) it looked as though some drivers weren't up to speed with the safety car rules.

Was anyone pinged?

I gather that the scrutineers at the previous round had their hands full with several CMC that weren't up to scratch with some recent rule changes.
Old 8 Nov 2015, 20:32 (Ref:3589085)   #200
Racetroll
Rookie

Racetroll should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Pity the CMC handicap was stuffed but fast forwarding, (I was in catch up mode) it looked as though some drivers weren't up to speed with the safety car rules.

Was anyone pinged?
We had an issue with the timing screens showing the wrong leader, so easiest way to fix the error was to suspend and restart.