Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 13 Apr 2017, 18:47 (Ref:3726184)   #76
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Seriously Maldonado would be a good choice.

An F1 winner and acknowledged as the Monaco-Meistersinger over several years...
Old 13 Apr 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3726208)   #77
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Seriously Maldonado would be a good choice.

An F1 winner and acknowledged as the Monaco-Meistersinger over several years...
I'm not going to reply to this one. I shall be quiet and respectful of your view.......

Old 13 Apr 2017, 21:34 (Ref:3726217)   #78
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It will be Button. I'm absolutely sure of it. Why else have a reserve driver?
Old 13 Apr 2017, 21:49 (Ref:3726220)   #79
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Gasly is French, young and GP2 champion. Not a bad choice either.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 21:50 (Ref:3726221)   #80
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
It will be Button. I'm absolutely sure of it. Why else have a reserve driver?
Generally agree. Given the arrangement between McLaren and Button it would be odd to not be him. In fact, it would raise a number of questions as to why that agreement was structured as it was.

Unless Button's arrangement is pretty much an insurance policy if Alonso walks at end of season (and not a true reserve for 2017). Then McLaren may run someone else just to see their potential.

Richard
Old 14 Apr 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3726279)   #81
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren: We have no other real option other than Jenson - the hard part now is convincing him to drive this pig.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 09:15 (Ref:3726286)   #82
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Confirmed!

Story Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Apr 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3726293)   #83
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Hello Jenson. Long time no see.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/insi...mclaren-honda/
Old 14 Apr 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3726357)   #84
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
It's not as though he has far to walk to go to work!
Old 14 Apr 2017, 13:38 (Ref:3726359)   #85
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not a bad choice, considering would have kept himself fit with all his running, swimming and cycling. Only hope is Monaco suits the car
Old 14 Apr 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3726381)   #86
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a have a feeling we will still see more of JB in a Mclaren this year but if not, as was mentioned earlier (or in another thread), this gives him a chance to get the send off he deserves a la Massa in Brazil last year.

his 2009 win, parking in the wrong spot, and having to run over to the podium is one of my fave JB moments.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 16:50 (Ref:3726402)   #87
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It was always going to be JB. He's McLaren's third/reserve driver. World champion and Monaco winner. No brained. The only surprise is that he's not going to get any running in FP before Monaco.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3726418)   #88
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Apparently (from comments on FP coverage today) the team reckon that simulator work will be enough for JB at least to get used to the physical dimensions of this year's car...
Old 14 Apr 2017, 18:38 (Ref:3726429)   #89
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
If Button is on a per lap contract for the race it will be a cheap weekend for McLaren.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3726431)   #90
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Apparently (from comments on FP coverage today) the team reckon that simulator work will be enough for JB at least to get used to the physical dimensions of this year's car...
Simulator testing? I suppose that's better than having the car break down.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3726442)   #91
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How realistic is the simulator? Does it simulate engine failures? Then you have to walk back to the simulated garage.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3726444)   #92
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
"Monaco baby yeah"

Groan....
Old 14 Apr 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3726447)   #93
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
It was always going to be JB. He's McLaren's third/reserve driver. World champion and Monaco winner. No brained. The only surprise is that he's not going to get any running in FP before Monaco.
Or any running at all in a current-spec car – or have I missed something? Quite a challenge, and around Monaco of all circuits. But he has nothing to lose, and like the man said, he doesn't have far to commute – there or back. Bon chance, JB! As for Ferdie, he clearly has his eyes set on matching Graham's triple crown, and you wouldn't want to bet against it. And it'll be a welcome change from the monstrous MCL32...

Last edited by sparkione; 14 Apr 2017 at 19:37.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 01:49 (Ref:3727235)   #94
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At this point I'm wondering whether Alonso will be back after Monaco. His post-race comments today are rather unflattering, even by his usual standards with McLaren.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 13:49 (Ref:3727562)   #95
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Just as I suspected, the fact that Bernie is no longer there makes it possible, as Bernie said in his C4 interview, he wouldn't have allowed it if he was still in charge
Old 18 Apr 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3727565)   #96
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Just as I suspected, the fact that Bernie is no longer there makes it possible, as Bernie said in his C4 interview, he wouldn't have allowed it if he was still in charge
He had no formal power to stop this even if he was still running things. Maybe he was talking about when he was running his own team..
Old 18 Apr 2017, 14:13 (Ref:3727567)   #97
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
He had no formal power to stop this even if he was still running things. Maybe he was talking about when he was running his own team..

Nope, he said he would have a quiet chinwag with the McLaren and persuade them not to let him go, as he only sees F1
Old 18 Apr 2017, 15:35 (Ref:3727584)   #98
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think the big peril here is that he gets injured and that's why my heart loves this but my head tells me this is very unwise. It's quite a bigger risk than in F1, some quite experienced Indy peddlers have been caught out in recent years and have had to have been benched for some substantial periods with more than minor injuries. So Alonso entering that kind of fray for the first time is a bit hair raising from a safety POV.

Which is why I don't think there'll be copy cat acts. We *may* see sometop F1 driver do NASCAR's Watkins Glen or something like that. I'd be looking in that direction for US "cross overs" if any. Maybe some well-to-do wealthy backmarker driver might do both Indy and Monte. That could happen. But the "prize" F1 drivers won't be permitted. They're barely permitted on scramblers as it is!

Insofar as his competitiveness is concerned, I think he'll be there or there abouts. He's broadly familiar with the dimensions of the track having raced the half-oval before in F1. But of course, it remains to be seen whether he exactly takes to racing with others the way the Indycars drivers do. The DRS slip streamin' stuff may help him a little. I do think he's a more agile and dynamic figure than Piquet for example so I think he'll be well poised to feature in the first third of the pack before he spins off.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 00:46 (Ref:3727670)   #99
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I think the big peril here is that he gets injured and that's why my heart loves this but my head tells me this is very unwise. It's quite a bigger risk than in F1, some quite experienced Indy peddlers have been caught out in recent years and have had to have been benched for some substantial periods with more than minor injuries. So Alonso entering that kind of fray for the first time is a bit hair raising from a safety POV.
Ditto this!

Really like the idea, but I think the risk is huge!
Old 19 Apr 2017, 02:34 (Ref:3727676)   #100
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Ditto this!

Really like the idea, but I think the risk is huge!
It is enormous.. but as a racer, you can understand why Mr Alonso is aligned.. why be uncompetitive every weekend when there is something new to try...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House