Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Dec 2014, 02:00 (Ref:3482663)   #26
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I have pointed out with the recent struggles in New Zealand, the world has changed, the car market has changed and big V8's are on the wane(again), yet sportscar racing is doing well around the world.

By doing this V8SC hedges their bets and ends up with FIA GT3 in their corner. Smart move.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 02:07 (Ref:3482665)   #27
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
As I have pointed out with the recent struggles in New Zealand, the world has changed, the car market has changed and big V8's are on the wane(again), yet sportscar racing is doing well around the world.

By doing this V8SC hedges their bets and ends up with FIA GT3 in their corner. Smart move.
How does buying the Australian GT Championship put FIA GT3 in their corner?

AGT can run to whatever regulations it wants too, at the moment one of its classes in its races just happens to be GT3.

GT3 spec cars are used in many different series in Australia
Old 7 Dec 2014, 22:58 (Ref:3482961)   #28
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not very good for Australian motorsport though.

Fingers crossed Tony doesnt sell.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 05:56 (Ref:3484302)   #29
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I don't understand is who has the rights to sell a category management?

Did Quinn pay CAMS for the rights, or did CAMS just hand them over for nothing?

If Quinn didn't pay anything why should he be allowed to collect proceeds if V8's but it.

Shouldn't the proceeds go to CAMS?
Old 12 Dec 2014, 06:10 (Ref:3484303)   #30
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mr Quinn had purchased AusGT off a previous group of owners a few years ago, just as he did with the Aussie Racing Cars.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 07:08 (Ref:3484313)   #31
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tony Quinn has contacted the local GT competitors over recent days telling them that the topic of a sell off has not been discussed.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 08:57 (Ref:3484324)   #32
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Mr Quinn had purchased AusGT off a previous group of owners a few years ago, just as he did with the Aussie Racing Cars.
Presumebly what Quinn purchased was the deal/company that held the category rights agreement to the Australian GT Championship with CAMS.

Doesn't that come with a yearly donation of $$ to CAMS for the right to run a national championship? And how long is the deal for, or is it a year to year thing?
Old 12 Dec 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3484336)   #33
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe the right to hold a CAMS-sanctioned national championship is an annual fee.

Catagory management rights are a different matter. This is the part that can be bought and sold.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 07:30 (Ref:3485130)   #34
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
December 15, 2014
Auto action Facebook.

DESPITE STATEMENTS being made that Australian GT was not being sold to V8 Supercars, rumours continued to circulate last week that a sale was on, and could be completed as soon as the Clipsal 500 next year.
Series owner Tony Quinn told Auto Action categorically that he will not be letting go of his Australian GT any time soon.
“I sent a text to all the guys last week because I think there was a bit of scuttlebutt around,” he explained.
“I think the V8s have got their own set of challenges, and I am the first to stand up and say that it is my intention to support the V8 category as much as I can as a category owner.”
Quinn explained that despite backing V8 Supercars, he would not be selling up, and nor would he be defecting from V8 Supercars to run his series independently.
“We have all seen the Ross Palmer (the now bankrupt backer of Procar) thing and how much money he spent himself to try and do his own thing and it is a very expensive ego trip,” Quinn added.
“I am not really into that.
“I think in Australia there is only room for one main circus, and I am happy to support the V8s as long as they reciprocate.”
Also an accomplished racer, Quinn said that he had held casual conversation with V8 Supercars CEO James Warburton recently, however remained firm that there was no sale on the table as long as the two categories continue to co-exist.
“I had a couple of coffees with James Warburton and the subject was broached about what is the future of V8s and should there be a look in,” he explained.
“I think between us all, if we stick together and form one good show, I think the thing will right itself and sort itself out.
“So long as the GTs get a good showing at the V8 rounds, I don’t think there is any need for them to buy AusGT – unless they think there is a fortune in it, which there’s not.
“Really, why would they buy it? So long as we are friends with each other I don’t see any point.”
Australian GT had previously remained quiet about the possible sale, with Quinn stating he saw no point in buying into the rumours.
“Certainly there is plenty of scuttlebutt around, I did nothing to add to that, because the best thing is to say nothing and let others make up their own minds,” he said.
Quinn added the category’s future beyond that remains mobile.
“As I said in my text, nothing changes for 2015 apart from what has been spoken about already, and as for 2016 I have no f***ing idea because I haven’t even thought about it yet,” he said.
“The beauty of myself and Aus GT and Aussie Racing Cars is you have to be fluid and change with the wind and flexible, and always moving up, stepping up and continuing to move the bar up.”
“I think there is an opportunity if we all go together, hold hands if you like, and march into the future together we can have something that’s strong, and thankfully I am not an egotistical maniac that wants to take on the world,” he concluded.
“I am a bit of a team player when it comes to business decisions. Whatever is best for the business in general is what we should all be doing.”
Old 15 Dec 2014, 09:16 (Ref:3485151)   #35
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I have seen so far of Tony, he seems to be a man of his word. I hope what is quoted above is true.

If it all is, by god motorsport needs many more of his type at the moment. Many more.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3485343)   #36
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote: "Ross Palmer (the now bankrupt backer of Procar) "

This is news to me, I hope it isn't true.
He did a lot for our sport, I would hope it hasn't bankrupted him.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 22:10 (Ref:3485345)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Quote: "Ross Palmer (the now bankrupt backer of Procar) "

This is news to me, I hope it isn't true.
He did a lot for our sport, I would hope it hasn't bankrupted him.
Story Here

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Dec 2014, 06:03 (Ref:3485418)   #38
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
December 15, 2014
Auto action Facebook.

DESPITE STATEMENTS being made that Australian GT was not being sold to V8 Supercars, rumours continued to circulate last week that a sale was on, and could be completed as soon as the Clipsal 500 next year.
Series owner Tony Quinn told Auto Action categorically that he will not be letting go of his Australian GT any time soon.
“I sent a text to all the guys last week because I think there was a bit of scuttlebutt around,” he explained.
“I think the V8s have got their own set of challenges, and I am the first to stand up and say that it is my intention to support the V8 category as much as I can as a category owner.”
Quinn explained that despite backing V8 Supercars, he would not be selling up, and nor would he be defecting from V8 Supercars to run his series independently.
“We have all seen the Ross Palmer (the now bankrupt backer of Procar) thing and how much money he spent himself to try and do his own thing and it is a very expensive ego trip,” Quinn added.
“I am not really into that.
“I think in Australia there is only room for one main circus, and I am happy to support the V8s as long as they reciprocate.”
Also an accomplished racer, Quinn said that he had held casual conversation with V8 Supercars CEO James Warburton recently, however remained firm that there was no sale on the table as long as the two categories continue to co-exist.
“I had a couple of coffees with James Warburton and the subject was broached about what is the future of V8s and should there be a look in,” he explained.
“I think between us all, if we stick together and form one good show, I think the thing will right itself and sort itself out.
“So long as the GTs get a good showing at the V8 rounds, I don’t think there is any need for them to buy AusGT – unless they think there is a fortune in it, which there’s not.
“Really, why would they buy it? So long as we are friends with each other I don’t see any point.”
Australian GT had previously remained quiet about the possible sale, with Quinn stating he saw no point in buying into the rumours.
“Certainly there is plenty of scuttlebutt around, I did nothing to add to that, because the best thing is to say nothing and let others make up their own minds,” he said.
Quinn added the category’s future beyond that remains mobile.
“As I said in my text, nothing changes for 2015 apart from what has been spoken about already, and as for 2016 I have no f***ing idea because I haven’t even thought about it yet,” he said.
“The beauty of myself and Aus GT and Aussie Racing Cars is you have to be fluid and change with the wind and flexible, and always moving up, stepping up and continuing to move the bar up.”
“I think there is an opportunity if we all go together, hold hands if you like, and march into the future together we can have something that’s strong, and thankfully I am not an egotistical maniac that wants to take on the world,” he concluded.
“I am a bit of a team player when it comes to business decisions. Whatever is best for the business in general is what we should all be doing.”
Doesn't seem to rule out selling up in the long term.

He indicates wanting to show his support for the V8Supercars.... he's got nothing to do with the 12hr but it's still an interesting quote given all that is going on
Old 17 Dec 2014, 23:27 (Ref:3485908)   #39
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From that story, I read that Quinn is working in the best interests of the GT3 series. That may mean selling in the far future. But the short term goal is exposure which supporting the V8's will get, with the proviso that the GT series gets a fair go. Fair to me. (They're helping to prop up V8, not the other way around.)

Sad about Ross Palmer, but to be honest, I thought he'd collapsed years ago. The ProCar series (before it go bigger than Ben Hur) was a sensational series with muticlass and multi driver ability racing at its best.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 01:28 (Ref:3486602)   #40
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
That's a shame. IRC back in the day his accountants called the end to Procar as it had built up $6 million in losses.

Sounds to me like Quinn is being sensible and has the right idea.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 03:41 (Ref:3486810)   #41
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That's a shame. IRC back in the day his accountants called the end to Procar as it had built up $6 million in losses.

Sounds to me like Quinn is being sensible and has the right idea.
Agreed. Quinn seems like he is more than happy for the others to do the work from him. V8SA source the events and the tv and AusGT just turn up but obviously pay a bill though.

Would have loved to see them run on the Shannons bill regularly but maybe in the future.

Ultimately I do like that Quinn hasnt backed himself into any corners or locked himself into any long term contracts.

He is the link now between the B12hr and V8SA warring parties - partnering with both organisations.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 03:59 (Ref:3486812)   #42
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
So Warburton has learnt a thing or two, from Kerry Packer. I don't want to compete, I just buy it and then have control.

Control: redefined under the New V8SC's dictionary:
meaning: Scared another series will out class, take supporters away, take sponsors away, provide a better service to motorsport fans and marshalls.

If this happens, and other categories are purchased for control, then the whole of motorsports in Aust will be poorer for the experience.

Once you have control, you can dictate what happens, not good for every concerned

History repeats: As I have said before , look how many categories have run with V8Sc's and have not bothered to come back.

Control, yep, just means V8's will say when and where. And charge a shite load of dollars to see them.

Great post!

'WE SWEAR BY THE SOUTHERN CROSS TO STAND TRULY BY EACH OTHER, AND FIGHT TO DEFEND OUR RIGHTS AND LIBERTIES.'
Something our Politicians have forgotten over the last 30 years Quote Multi-Quote This Message Reply

Great strap too!
Old 21 Dec 2014, 13:13 (Ref:3486882)   #43
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
History repeats: As I have said before , look how many categories have run with V8Sc's and have not bothered to come back.
The costs of doing a full season for any support category defeats those that try. The concept is good but the cash flow is poor to say the least.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 21:59 (Ref:3486995)   #44
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone consider that Tony might be looking to buy a share?? Given everything that has happened since the sale, maybe JW was talking through some sale options.....

Long shot......but you just don't know what could happen these days......
Old 9 Feb 2015, 07:37 (Ref:3503190)   #45
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Spoke to someone at the 12 hour who you would think would be a reliable source who had a conflicting story as to what we've read.
The source is at the very very pointy end of a top Australian GT team and said that the deal was done until the owners of 2 Holden teams shall we say let it be known that it wouldn't be a good idea.
The source also said that the same 2 Holden team owners were instrumental in the V8SC/B12hr date clash.
As GTRMagic says, presuming that this ever actually happened ?
Old 10 Feb 2015, 23:43 (Ref:3503797)   #46
Jack Spratt
Rookie

Jack Spratt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Hence the move to V6 powerplants that is coming to V8SC.
Old 11 Feb 2015, 05:45 (Ref:3503856)   #47
D.R.T.
Veteran

So who do we think the 2 Holden teams owners are?

Roland Dane might be likely.

Ryan Walkinshaw has no idea about much at all outside of being a DJ apparently - any his recent comments suggest he is pro GT racing