Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Mar 2015, 20:15 (Ref:3520008)   #1
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMP-3 in USA WHEN , WHERE , HOW ?

As a NEW team we are doing our Due Deligence BEFORE we start writing out the BIG CHECKS We are going to be going with P-2 for the 2017 season once the new Tech Regulations are formatted . However the LMP-3 for a variety of reasons very much intrigues me . The biggest question at this point is " WILL IT TAKE OFF HERE ? "

I have been told though the Officials have NOT YET confirmed that PROTO/LITES will be gone in 2016 . PC class may not make it into the 2017 season . This remains to be seen

Ginetta - USA has confirmed they will be bringing one over in June for sale . More to follow if sales ramp up ? Not saying they will not expand but for now there big events are with FARA in South Florida .

Spoke with Riley / Ave as to their thoughts . Was told the first one was to be finished in the next month or 2 assuming the outsourced parts come in on time . Then it will be tested . I think one is going to be used by a private party for Track Days only . I am NOT sure of the other 2 at this point but that is really none of my business anyways .

Riley has an Excellent reputation for the quality of their build products . The P-3 will be within the guidelines but with their certain design and tweaks . Pricing will be $245,000.00 USA Dollars PLUS options ? To my knowledge the choice of options are : Custom Seat and Choice of Data Gathering Information . But NOT sure yet what that entails .

So as I see it for 2016 we will have DP's ,P-2's , GTLM's, and to some extent GTD's will be opening up to GT-3's though not sure if the GTD name will go away or not . I do have great respect for the new series and WHAT the people in charge are TRYING to do . YET to some extent we tend to do thing's here a little differently We must not forget this is still a BUSINESS so a little give and take is expected .

Going back to the title I can't wait to see some of the Test results . To give the class more relevence , I would love to see the LMP-3's ALLOWED to be run WITH the other 4 classes if they are NOT a HAZARD to other competitors . If it ends up being relegated to replacing PC or Lites classes the whole concept of Endurance or Support series the day before a Major event will go away
Old 26 Mar 2015, 20:34 (Ref:3520023)   #2
Disraeli Eers
Racer

United States
Parkersburg, WV
Disraeli Eers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDisraeli Eers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to see LMP3 replace the PC class in IMSA.

Maybe the Lites can use the PC Orecas starting at that point... Although the chassis will be fairly old by then.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 20:40 (Ref:3520029)   #3
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
ME TOO !!
Old 26 Mar 2015, 21:41 (Ref:3520056)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I think that Tudor shouldn't have LMP3 mixed between all-pro protos and GTs

It should have just one prototype class (as open as possible) and at least one GT class.

LMP3 could run in an improved IMSA Lites.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 00:03 (Ref:3520115)   #5
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would prefer to see the PC go to Pro-Am 2017-P2's. I think the P3 class would make a good lead class in the Conti series.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 01:37 (Ref:3520136)   #6
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky

DYSON : P-3 going into the Conti series I just do NOT buy that . They whole concept of the P-3 to me is a lower class for Guys looking to get into either DP or P-2 class Endurance Racing NOT Sprint Racing .

Obviously the Conti Cars don't run the 6 , 10 , 12 , 24 hour events !!

How are the NEWBIES / YUTES of America to get that experience

I KNOW ! I KNOW !! If the funded driver has a BIG enough check he can BUY his way into almost any class
Old 27 Mar 2015, 02:08 (Ref:3520143)   #7
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
DYSON : P-3 going into the Conti series I just do NOT buy that . They whole concept of the P-3 to me is a lower class for Guys looking to get into either DP or P-2 class Endurance Racing NOT Sprint Racing .

Obviously the Conti Cars don't run the 6 , 10 , 12 , 24 hour events !!

How are the NEWBIES / YUTES of America to get that experience

I KNOW ! I KNOW !! If the funded driver has a BIG enough check he can BUY his way into almost any class
Mr. Baldwin I want to start out by saying I have a ton of respect for what you are about to attempt to do. I have loved sports car racing since I was 7 and people like you are what keep this sport going. I wish you a ton of success in your future endeavors .

However, I would prefer to see the wealthy guys and young funded drivers that keep this sport going diverted to P2's and GT3's. I think that there are quite a few PC teams that would step up to P2 if they had a Pro/Am option and feel like the series is going to lose well funded Pro/Am teams to the WEC until they do (ESM, Krohn, RSR, etc.). There is really not starting to be very much difference between P2 and P3 as time progresses anyways. I also think that PC's price point allowed some more amateur guys on to the grid last year that should not have been racing at this level.

I know that Conti does not run endurance races but it would be a good place for teams looking at building prototype programs could test their skills with the P3's before making the jump into the TUSC Series. This would allow their drivers to get some experience racing prototypes in multi-class racing as well.

Last edited by Dyson Mazda; 27 Mar 2015 at 02:17.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 03:50 (Ref:3520155)   #8
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
DYSON : THANK-YOU for the comment . One of the projects I am presently working on is the Operational costs of doing P-2 , GT3 , and LMP-3 . P-2 and GT3 costs are not to hard to figure out on a seasonal basis / PER event . * Assuming NO Major SHUNTS !!

With NOT knowing WHERE P-3 class will stand ,it makes for a lot of speculation At some point you have to go with "PAYING" a driver to come on board instead of taking the "FUNDED" driver for A SEAT . There is also the possibility cutting a deal with one of the "FACTORY " drivers from the team that you bought your car from .for the bigger events that is .This certainly lends credence to your point about GT3's .!

As far as the P-3 goes I will be purchasing one as a private owner . I am personally to old for competition . Once the plans from TUSC are released . for 2016 .

As far as the TEAM goes everyday is looking more like waiting until 2017 to see how things shake out with the P-2's .for 17 and beyond

My partners cousin is the CEO of a Multi-National Corp .He is telling us that to him the WEC has a very Diverse schedule as to where they race . and is quite fascinated by it .SHOULD that occur I venture to say the $$$ get larger .

No dis-respect to the teams that are USA based and participate with the WEC but it appears that those teams are pretty much Self-Funded. It really all depends on WHAT the sponsor is trying to GAIN.

Personal Note : Just to use round numbers as an EXAMPLE ONLY .Given the choice between 2 drivers . one having had WORKED his way up from Karts to Cars went to " Skippy " school and whose talent sticks out BUT ONLY has $10,000.00 to pay for a RIDE .The other whose willing to cut a check for $25,000.00 from Grand-pa but NOT talented , I will take the guy or Gal with the Lesser Check every time .

Last point Can anyone tell me WHAT TUDOR / IMSA is doing to Market themselves ?
Old 27 Mar 2015, 15:03 (Ref:3520357)   #9
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Last point Can anyone tell me WHAT TUDOR / IMSA is doing to Market themselves ?
It seems they continue to try to execute some sort of very complicated French tango...
Old 27 Mar 2015, 18:21 (Ref:3520499)   #10
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
It seems they continue to try to execute some sort of very complicated French tango...
Coach Ep: You are probably correct about their Complicated French Tango LOL !!

I have asked a few within the INNER CIRCLE and the response has been " WELL WE HAVE TV AND RADIO AND SOME SOCIAL MEDIA "

I will be the first to admit , I am NOT a social media user but perhaps that is my fault . . Very rarely do you HEAR or SEE the POWERS trying to reach out for NEW FANS , Let alone new competitors and teams . NASCAR traditionally the teams have a big presence with their SHOW cars prior to a major event and actually with some sponsors on an almost year round basis .

The average Joe / Jane has in most cases heard of NASCAR / THE DAYTONA 500 . Indy Cars and the Indy 500 . BUT when you ask about Sportscars they DON't know hardly anything . A few years back I had a strip mall with a fairly large parking lot . Annually We let the town use it for the kick-off start of the XMAS Parade thru town . Sadly now called the Holiday Parade " AS WE DON't WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE " LOL Well I decided on my own dime to Bring in a few Race cars for display . Had a Dirt Modified , Sprint Car , Late Model , and a Formula Ford . with a couple of SCCA cars thrown in the mix . I can tell you that MOST of the people that had come over to take a PEEK thought the Formula Ford was an INDIE Car . When you asked people if they knew anything about LeMans they thought in was a town in Montreal Canada..

I guess for us in the Sports car world we are our own worst enemy !! Too bad the powers that be DON't see it that way .
Old 27 Mar 2015, 22:05 (Ref:3520633)   #11
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
In all fairness I think the best cheap advertising the series can do is ensure that their cars, liveries, and tracks continue to be in the top selling racing games. I think that hits the target demographic right on the head for the younger generation. It is getting really hard see how they could get their value out of traditional advertising in today's world. Beyond that I think they need to form partnerships with new gen brands like Red Bull, Apple, Google, and Monster. It is never going to be a great tv sport unless you are just out a die hard fan that likes watching it for hours and hours (yes I am one of those people). I still think the best TV package they can put together is what they had at the end of the ALMS years with ESPN3 + RLM providing the full streaming coverage and ESPN showing the 2 hour highlights. They need to continue to make the race weekends what they are. 12 Hour tailgates with world class cars racing around the track. I can get my buddies to commit to that every time I ask. I think that it is headed in the right direction with the 2017 P2, the GTE's, and the GT3's. I think the traditionalists that are complaining about the series right now will be very happy with what we end up with when we finally get rid of the DP's.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 23:35 (Ref:3520661)   #12
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
In all fairness I think the best cheap advertising the series can do is ensure that their cars, liveries, and tracks continue to be in the top selling racing games. I think that hits the target demographic right on the head for the younger generation. It is getting really hard see how they could get their value out of traditional advertising in today's world. Beyond that I think they need to form partnerships with new gen brands like Red Bull, Apple, Google, and Monster. It is never going to be a great tv sport unless you are just out a die hard fan that likes watching it for hours and hours (yes I am one of those people). I still think the best TV package they can put together is what they had at the end of the ALMS years with ESPN3 + RLM providing the full streaming coverage and ESPN showing the 2 hour highlights. They need to continue to make the race weekends what they are. 12 Hour tailgates with world class cars racing around the track. I can get my buddies to commit to that every time I ask. I think that it is headed in the right direction with the 2017 P2, the GTE's, and the GT3's. I think the traditionalists that are complaining about the series right now will be very happy with what we end up with when we finally get rid of the DP's.
Dyson you raise some very valid points . Endurance Racing will never make Great TV.
Some of the companies you mentioned HAVE the resources to IMPLEMENT their sponsorship through various Online and Digital Marketing outlets .However as relates to Sportscars I just can't remember seeing any done through the Conventional " OLD STYLE " means .. I am sure there are companies out there that have the means to track such . It makes me think that in todays day and age within the team structure at this level you almost have to have a fulltime Digital Media expert on staff for implementation of sponsors wishes , PR , and Communications . Simple Newsletters are NOT enough .
Old 28 Mar 2015, 10:01 (Ref:3520814)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Endurance Racing will never make Great TV.
Not true.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 10:18 (Ref:3520824)   #14
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
OK, to rephrase, it will never make mainstream TV. I hope.

Best of luck with your endeavours Mr Baldwin, will take another look at this thread with interest when not using my phone.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 10:44 (Ref:3520837)   #15
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Blancpain seems to have been able get their tv package together.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 13:50 (Ref:3520970)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
Well Blancpain seems to have been able get their tv package together.
Not in Latin America, I can assure you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
In all fairness I think the best cheap advertising the series can do is ensure that their cars, liveries, and tracks continue to be in the top selling racing games. I think that hits the target demographic right on the head for the younger generation.
IMSA has a partnership with Forza Motorsport, am I right?
Old 28 Mar 2015, 14:19 (Ref:3520990)   #17
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
I am NOT sure what is available in Latin America or even in Europe . However on My TV system here Direct TV it seems to me that there is more coverage on the " TOUR De FRANCE Bike race than there was total coverage of the Daytona 24 hour and Sebring 12 hour races combined .

Does anyone know anything about MOTORS TV ? Availability in the USA ?

I suppose I need to expand my knowledge about what may be available on the computer ,

Times like this I do MISS SPEED TV
Old 28 Mar 2015, 14:27 (Ref:3520995)   #18
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Looks like very Shortly " LOL' ACO/ FIA / IMSA ELMS / will be releasing the SPEC's for 2017 P2 Regulations , But still hard to find anything about what is going to be going on with P-3 's

At the Prologue this past week has anyone seen any times posted as to Times / Speed for P-3 's that tested and WHERE they may have stood with other car classifications ?
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:01 (Ref:3521021)   #19
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
At the Prologue this past week has anyone seen any times posted as to Times / Speed for P-3 's that tested and WHERE they may have stood with other car classifications ?
Results are here, the single LMP3 that ran is to be found on the sheets: http://www.europeanlemansseries.com/...t=1&annee=2015
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:45 (Ref:3521062)   #20
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But still hard to find anything about what is going to be going on with P-3 's
At the risk of self-promotion you could take a look at this:-
http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp3/

I created a dedicated LMP3 site a while back - it's a tad out of date now - I dropped it as it did not generate enough interest to justify the work. May try again...

Mariantic
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:49 (Ref:3521066)   #21
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Thanks for the LINK .It would have been nice to see a comparison of a few more P-3's

Not sure what track conditions were or the extent of their testing procedures .

Only a guess but it appears that similar times were posted by GTC , GTE , GT-3 cars .

Again not sure of all conditions .of the other teams either
Old 28 Mar 2015, 17:33 (Ref:3521110)   #22
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Mariantic : Just curious WHAT motivated you to start the website ?

Yes to some extent it is a little outdated

I for one would like to see it continued Perhaps you started too early ?

I will send you a private e-mail

THANKS
Bob Baldwin
e-mail: bigbob817@gmail.com
Old 28 Mar 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3521124)   #23
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mariantic : Just curious WHAT motivated you to start the website ?
Well, Bob it grew out of the LMP1 /LMP2 site I have run for the last 10 years or so.

http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/

Mariantic
Old 28 Mar 2015, 19:01 (Ref:3521141)   #24
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no need for LMP3 and LMPC in TUSC. Go away and stay away. We are fine with 3 classes. Prototype (with a pro-am subcategory), GTLM, and GT3. The races will be excellant. Imagine Sebring last week except for the field of 7 LMPC and 14 GTD cars being replaced by 20+ full GT3 cars with the same prototype category and a faster GTLM category. That will rock. 2016 onwards could be like that if IMSA decides to be smart.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 20:02 (Ref:3521155)   #25
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Well I suppose we all have our WANTS and NEEDS LOL!! Quite honestly I agree that 20 + GT3's would put on a BETTER show for the Spectators than 7LMPC's and 14 GTD's . Wether the total comes out to 20 + GT3's remains to be seen

Apparently IMSA does agree with ACO / FIA there is a NEED for the LMP3 cars .You have to remember there are major differences between Sprint Races and Endurance races . I tend to favor the longer races .

I am sure we will see larger participation at the 4 Major PATRON events . The other events on the calendar for the rest of the year NOT so sure about .

The $64,000 .00 Question is : WHAT teams will be supporting the TUSC year round above and beyond the 4 major endurance events and WHAT teams will be staying loyal to PWC ? Not withstanding conflict of race dates I don't see MANY team that would be willing to run BOTH series all year long . I think it is going to be a HUGE PROBLEM .

The LAST thing we want to see as far as GT Racing goes is ANOTHER ALMS / GRAND AM type battle .for Competitors .

So ! I am NOT sure where they fit in yet but YES BRING ON THE P-3's we NEED them .