Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 19 May 2015, 17:33 (Ref:3539389)   #26
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be very surprised if they're not available at the gate. If they're not then im stuffed and a very small crowd i'd imagine!
Old 19 May 2015, 17:59 (Ref:3539399)   #27
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyterry16 View Post
Just seen the time schedule for day 2, which is a Sunday. Have Lydden managed to get a change to the noise restrictions, as I thought they couldn't have engine noise until 12?
Instead for the 12:30 to 6:00pm that Bill Chesson started on a Sunday, that then got writing into planning permission, last year it changed till 10:30am to 4:00pm on a Sunday.
Old 19 May 2015, 19:41 (Ref:3539431)   #28
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
I would be very surprised if they're not available at the gate. If they're not then im stuffed and a very small crowd i'd imagine!
I've been having a poke about and while there's really no info, there is a list of prices at the bottom of the ticket page-

http://www.seetickets.com/event/fia-...ircuit/856823/

There's an 'on the day' price which suggests you can buy on the gate. Nothing else about it though.
Old 19 May 2015, 20:25 (Ref:3539444)   #29
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was looking forward to going to this year home round, but with you look at time-table, relative lack of entries to last year plus cost of tickets and getting there, it just not worth it!

£25 for Saturday which is the best day for amount of track action is nuts, especially as the Blancpain Endurance Series is at Silverstone and has 61 confirmed GT3 entries, Lambo 1 make series, Auto GP, FR2.0 and over 6 hours of track action for just £12 shows how far out the WorldRX is.

I've really got into RX over last few years and love the action it produces, but they got it a bit wrong this year.
Old 20 May 2015, 09:53 (Ref:3539579)   #30
sashchris
Rookie

England
newton aycliffe
sashchris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
unfortunately ticket companies these days make a tidy profit from admin fees and there is no legislation to stop them basically charging whatever they want.
personally I could quite accept the fee when you were getting a proper printed ticket sent in the post etc as there are obvious costs to the seller involved, but when it comes to e tickets printed off on your own printer at your cost etc with little or no cost to the seller then rip off I think is a fair viewpoint.
it may be worth knowing that when you pay an admin fee then a contract is formed between seller and buyer and part of the sellers obligations are to ensure that you have a ticket in time for your event , so if for example you don't have a printer and cant print your ticket then the ticket company is obliged to make sure you get one (not quite sure how that would work but)
don't know whether or not the event (ie Lydden) have any input as to how much is charged as an admin fee or if it is purely the ticket company that decide but looks like its certainly putting people off and Lydden are possibly losing out
Old 20 May 2015, 10:21 (Ref:3539589)   #31
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have moaned about the current trend in event ticketing before. It isn't just Lydden/World Rallycross, the last few gigs I've been to have either been self-print tickets or presenting a confirmation E-mail to gain entry to the venue. I have still been charged for admin in both cases though...
Old 20 May 2015, 10:41 (Ref:3539592)   #32
andyterry16
Rookie

andyterry16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£45 for the weekend against £20 for Silverstone does seem steep, but then there are only 3 races on Saturday at the Blancpain, with 35 minute gaps between. Sunday has four races. Also where can you see all of the track at Silverstone, as viewing seems to be an issue for rallycross fans? I think for the number of races £ per race is pretty good.

If I go to other sporting events, e.g. British MX was £25 for one day at our local track this year, so Lydden compares favourably with that . Maybe if the circuit improves it's facilities we wouldn't mind so much.

I have already said before I won't be going to Lydden once my son has to pay as it will suddenly be £90 + Camping + Food + Fuel so I am not defending prices, just trying get some perspective.
Old 20 May 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3539697)   #33
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suppose my biggest beef is that nothing has really changed that much yet we are asked to stup up an extra fiver for less cars.

We all know why of cours,e to help contribute to the hosting fee that has been levvied on WRX tracks.

And that, for me, is another reason to leave well alone.

You can't run before you can walk, unless you are IMG it seems.
Old 20 May 2015, 17:50 (Ref:3539723)   #34
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that the prices are too steep this year for Lydden if you are buying one day or on the gates. You can buy on the gate by the way, I saw it on one of the articles on rallycrossrx.com but it is very expensive. The early ticket price of £40 which is comparable to previous years and is not much more than Mettet (though that place had more entries of course). But the on the gate prices are far too expensive 30/35 quid for Saturday and Sunday). Really, it's a two day event and becomes much better value for attending both days. One day isn't worth it due to action and prices.

I'm more disappointed that we dint have the Euro RX or s1600 and have the entries up to 80. For me that's the big oversight. If there were that many cars, then the money is almost justified.
Old 20 May 2015, 18:45 (Ref:3539741)   #35
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Be interesting then to see what the crowd figures are for the weekend, if you can gauge them that is. It is a bank holiday weekend which always helps and is I suspect part of ther reasoning for changing the date this year.

For me, there is simply too much other stuff on that offers me value for money. I have to cross the bridge anyway that costs 6 quid pretty much now extra, so Brands offers better value, more cars, more interesting cars for less moneya dn mileage.

I do hope Lydden manages to get ERC back next year, although the top boys are worth paying to see, my favourite part of the weekend is getting into those pits and seeing who is there, who is a surprise and then watching practice, I will miss that I will admit.

As Hickey says, if you had all those extra cars and not drift garbage and O Donovans "must be at every Lydden " Rage buggies the price would be justfied.

I have and will never done both days as there is too much else on and that pricing is there solely to encourage foreigners to visit.

When you think it costs the same almost to camp at MXGP in Matterley and that will get a huge foreign contingent from Benelux! The tickets are a bit dearer admitedly, and I complained as much last year, you had to pay 15 quid to go in the pits on top of a 35 quid day advanced price!

Puts rallycross into context. But MXGP that is a REAL world championship, not a fake one, and hey ho Euro rounds held at the same time on the day before, are we learning Lydden?
Old 23 May 2015, 20:02 (Ref:3540478)   #36
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well I'm home from Lydden - so what was the verdict?

Positives:
1) Great racing (as if that was ever in doubt!)
2) Facilities better managed than the British event (water, toilet rolls and paper towels still there at the end of the day)
3) Some of the resurfacing does appear to have lessened the amount of punctures.

Negatives:
1) Still dodgy timing on watering the track - dust a big problem.
2) Overpriced.
3) Big gap in the timetable between first and second heats.

Solberg was really on it - on the way home we were talking about Solberg walking it but then the Ekstrom Audis looked quick - and Larsson and the Hansen 208's and the MSE Fiestas - so not so clear cut! The touring cars also provided some good scraps (and the best driver tantrum of the day!) and the Lites were close fought too.

All in all a good days racing - I'm off to Brands tomorrow though (cheaper than Lydden) - enjoy the finals all those that are going.
Old 23 May 2015, 20:11 (Ref:3540479)   #37
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Bertmk2, just looking at heat results and it seems the UK regulars had a tough day, was there anything happened to Godfrey/Proctor/O'Donovan?

Plus was there a GroupB demo? cheers
Old 23 May 2015, 20:25 (Ref:3540481)   #38
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Hi Bertmk2, just looking at heat results and it seems the UK regulars had a tough day, was there anything happened to Godfrey/Proctor/O'Donovan?

Plus was there a GroupB demo? cheers
Godfrey had a bad start in the first heat, Proctor didn't seem to be getting off the line cleanly either, O'Donovan looked to be going ok from what I remember. Liam had a problem in practice then the car was painfully slow in heat 1, Binks looked rusty (and was door to door with Scott which probably caused all the Albatec mechanics to shut their eyes!). Wilks looked quick, the MINI looked like it was well set up.

The retro cars were racing (and included a spectacular crash for one of the Minis - driver ok). Rob Gibson clearly the quickest out there - the 6R4 was the only Group B car on track - but Gollops 6R4 and 3 RS200's were parked up (although at least one doesn't look capable of moving under its own power).

Special mention to Nordgaard for keeping his foot in despite 2 rear punctures (on a rwd car ), also to Jeanney for the overtaking move of the day coming out of Chessons.

Oh - should also mention that the 'jump' that was there for the British round is now a 'JUMP' and the cars are catching air (quite a lot of air in some cases).
Old 23 May 2015, 21:50 (Ref:3540498)   #39
chasing cars
Racer

Feared that after Belgium last week Lydden might prove a disappointment but some great racing today and the only break was as Bert said between 1st and 2nd heats but was no more than 50 mins which is fairly normal for a lunch break and gave time to look around the paddock. Couldn't believe the track was not watered before practice was soon put right but wasn't a good start to the meeting.

£30 today and £35 for tomorrow is heavily overpriced, partly my thought for not buying in advance but was still expecting to be able to buy a reduced weekend ticket on the gate like last year but not to be.

That aside thought the day was as good a day of rallycross we have seen at Lydden for years with the touring cars looking better than they ever have done with some particually good performances from all the girls in that class. Looking forward to an equally good day tomorrow.
Old 24 May 2015, 06:41 (Ref:3540552)   #40
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Everything but the pricing and lack of one extra class was spot on yesterday. Looking forward to today.

The dust was so bad in practice. Seemed to be better other than last 2 supercar races. Seemed go slow the cars behind them to an unfair extent
Old 24 May 2015, 09:06 (Ref:3540580)   #41
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Thought I would be missing it, but am really not! Especially after I saw the pictures of the dust storm!

I think it must be a dryness issue country wide coz I was watching stock cars last night, 17 quid to get in, 9 races in 3 hours, and the dust there was pad too and that is on a track easy to water.

Shame for those that went to see the Group B retro cars and saw a normal retro group, but that's Lydden I guess!
Old 24 May 2015, 16:23 (Ref:3540703)   #42
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
In a queue to get out. With a lot of other people! Fantastic crowd today. Possibly the best I've seen? Good action too. Fantastic day all round really.

Shame for Jordan and gutted for Wilks but so impressed he made a final!

17 quid for 3 hours? It was 35 for 5 and a half today. Sounds pretty similar on a time basis.
Old 24 May 2015, 18:03 (Ref:3540741)   #43
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
But without the passing, the contact element

Being serious, I am in a minority of one with regard to event pricing, and will forever be I think. I am lucky in that most of the motorsport I watch is fairly cheap to watch and sometimes free, but it does make you scoff at pricing, and with this event that rather inflated price increase over a year ago.

Most people simply have to go to events and will just pay up regardless of what good value is. Cup final, rugby, Olympics etc.

Last night I went to watch a meeting where in one formula I literally did not know where to watch from one corner to the next, relentless action! Yes the cars are scruffy, they hit each other and they just go round an oval, but for value for money it really can not be matched.

I do think WRX has a place, but I do also think a lot of people are not quite so aware of what value for money is and will simply hand over cash without really caring. That is the society we live in sadly, and IMG and the like know it, they use marketing to get people, and most of the population are taken in by it.

Not having a go at you personally Hick, just people in general, 40 quid to watch F1 testing, 200 quid to watch F1, 15 quid to park your car at MotoGP and 70 quid to get in etc etc. Yet tens of thousands of cow towing Hindu cows hand over their hard earned every year, so why change?

The crowd size is evidence of that, as is the bank holiday, Lydden KNEW they would get a big crowd because of that and charged a premium as a result. It is good business sense, ruthless money making and if it works why not.

I wish I could roll over and comply but I just can't. This weekend I would have loved to go and watch European drag racing at Santa Pod, but I simply cannot justify 38 quid, same thing as Lydden really. I wish I was different honestly!
Old 24 May 2015, 20:37 (Ref:3540814)   #44
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really enjoyed it today. Rallycross has gone up a level. Spitfire was fantastic as well.
Old 25 May 2015, 08:04 (Ref:3540960)   #45
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good meeting, enjoyed it.
Kudo's to Pat Doran as i saw him parking traffic in the morning.
No long gaps this year and the Spitfire made my lad's day.
Finals were good and bad luck to Guy Wilks in the final, the man has some talent.
I really think Andrew Jordan should consider a full time switch, considering the limited seat time he done really well and good effort by Binks on his return.
Only two little moans, getting out was terrible and the state of the portaloos in the camping.
Old 25 May 2015, 14:15 (Ref:3541052)   #46
ClintonRX
Rookie

England
Nr Ashford
ClintonRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Being serious, I am in a minority of one with regard to event pricing, and will forever be I think. I am lucky in that most of the motorsport I watch is fairly cheap to watch and sometimes free, but it does make you scoff at pricing, and with this event that rather inflated price increase over a year ago.

Most people simply have to go to events and will just pay up regardless of what good value is. Cup final, rugby, Olympics etc.

I do think WRX has a place, but I do also think a lot of people are not quite so aware of what value for money is and will simply hand over cash without really caring. That is the society we live in sadly, and IMG and the like know it, they use marketing to get people, and most of the population are taken in by it.

The crowd size is evidence of that, as is the bank holiday, Lydden KNEW they would get a big crowd because of that and charged a premium as a result. It is good business sense, ruthless money making and if it works why not.

I wish I could roll over and comply but I just can't. This weekend I would have loved to go and watch European drag racing at Santa Pod, but I simply cannot justify 38 quid, same thing as Lydden really. I wish I was different honestly!
I don't come on the forum that often and I will be honest Chunder, with a smile on my face as I say it I can assure you, that you don't half sound like a right old misery some (a lot...) of the time. BUT my friend, you are definitely not in a minority of one when it comes to the cost of attending events. I am right with you on this. I live only 25 minutes drive from Lydden and first watched Rallycross there in the early 1970's, so it is no hassle for me to get there. But did I go this weekend? No. I will totally agree with anyone who says that I am biting my nose off to spite my face. But that is the way it is or more specifically the way I am. Sadly it has happened to a lot of the motorsport championships I have followed over the years. I was a regular at the British Motorbike Grand Prix during the 1980's and early 90's, then the sidecars (my favourite) were dropped and it became over a period of time, what we have today, Moto GP with ever increasing prices. During the mid 1990's I took my young son to watch the Rally of Great Britain for a few years, but then the marketing brigade got hold of that and it all changed. Now it has happened to Rallycross. I said on here a couple of years ago when IMG became involved that all they are interested in is making money for a select few at the expense of others including us, the paying punters. You are perfectly correct Chunder and no disrespect to those that do, but in todays society people will pay whatever they have to to watch an event and the marketing people know it. Well, there are at least two of us who won't.

You extolled the virtues of oval/stock car racing and why not if it provides you with entertainment. It is not really my cup of tea, but for me going to a motor sport event is about entertainment and not "names". It's about seeing overtaking manoeuvres and good close racing. Yes, the sound Supercars make can be appealing to the ears, but to me it doesn't matter particularly who is behind the wheel of the car.

Yes I'm very close to Lydden, but I'm closer still to the Eurotunnel Terminal and now prefer to follow the French & Belgium events. Last Sunday I, along with a neighbour & friend who I introduced to Rallycross a couple of years ago, spent the day at Lessay in Normandy. For our 15 Euros (about £11 now) we watched five classes of Rallycross, 16-22 cars in four of the classes but only 10 Supercars I admit. They were warming up when we arrived at 8.30am and other than the expected lunchbreak of an hour and a quarter and a couple of track watering breaks, it was virtually action all the way until gone 5pm. Yes, as I said in another post on the foum the racing was somewhat processional with very little overtaking. The reason for this I feel was down to the track and possibly the fact that quite a lot of it was dirt. As a consequence a lot of loose stuff was carried onto the asphalt where the latter did exist. Being as this was mainly on the bends, no driver in his right mind would venture off the main racing line for fear of sliding on the marbles. So everybody went round a corner one after the other. This was a track where the joker bend did at least create some excitement, although I don't think you are a fan of such a feature?

For me the highlight of the day occurred at the end when all the teams were packing away their workshops, etc and I was invited totally out of the blue by team Chartrain to have some eats and drink with them, their mechanics, friends & family. They even gave me a team t-shirt. Laurent Chartrain, if you didn't know was SS1600 champion in 2012 and also Division 1A (I think) champion in 2006. His wife Catherine, who was the one to call me over, has started racing in the Twingo class this year. It is this family/friendly side of Rallycross that has always appealed to me and I don't think this side of the sport even gets a first thought at IMG, let alone a second one.

As I said above Chunder, you are not alone!

Last edited by ClintonRX; 25 May 2015 at 14:20.
Old 25 May 2015, 15:44 (Ref:3541073)   #47
andyterry16
Rookie

andyterry16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I would just make a couple of comments about above posts.

to Chunder - The dust was in one practice run and the bowser was out straight away so no more dust. IT DID NOT RUIN THINGS FOR THE WHOLE DAY.

All in all I thought the racing was some of the best. Also hardly any driving people off the road. Good clean racing. Only shove off, I think, was when 4 TCs tried to get from Chessons to Devil elbow side-by-side!

My son and me had a great day. i am now going to stop posting as I am fed up with people not attending the event and criticising left, right and centre. If you don't like it fine, don't go, but please don't just make snap judgements based on reading a small part of a post.

Goodbye Forum it was fun for a while.
Old 25 May 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3541094)   #48
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Bless you andy, if the dust was not a problem that is fine by me, I saw a few pictures from a regular snapper and they all had plumes of dust in the background, that's all! Glad you enjoyed your day.

If you seriously cannot bear to read other peoples posts then simply block them or ignore their posts, it's a fairly simple fix and I won't lose a second of sleep over it.

Interesting read Clinton, and believe me if I lived down near you I would have a season ticket for the tunnel, there is loads of cool, cheap motorsport in the North of Europe, rallycross as you say, proper rallying on public roads, motocross, berg Cup hill climbing which is awesome live. I wodnernthough of the reason it is cheaper is that they get bigger crowds and they are not paying an IMG tens of thousands to host events, that might be why?

I often wonder why people just attend events without really thinking about value and how much they are paying, look at gigs!

Lydden is the home of rallycross and will hopefully be here long after IMG and their marketeers and voice of rallycross have gone.

This weekend I would have loved to go, I would have still enjoyed it as those that posted here have, but as with things like pay to watch tv, high ticket prices, you have to make a stand and this was mine.

Seems a terrible weekend for the Brits, whereas it is often a good one. Apart from Wilks hardly anyone did good. So either the standard has gone mad or out lads are strugglign to keep up a bit. I guess Jordan did OK, but you would really expect that, he is a class act both on track and in the box.
Old 25 May 2015, 18:45 (Ref:3541142)   #49
chasing cars
Racer

Well another fantastic weekend of rallycross, I know its not the done thing but apart from the ticket price no complaints! As I said about Belgium when your there you have no awareness of all the marketing rubbish you get in the press and on the TV and best of all no Andrew, rallycross sorry RX only existed from 2013 , Coley! In fact you would have little idea IMG had anything to do with it. The drivers are just as accessible as they ever were and still that friendly relaxed feel in the paddock that I don't think you get at any other form of FIA motorsport, long may that continue.

I hope now that IMG have come to realize that rallycross isn't just about supercars and big names and that the other classes have an important role to play at a meeting and that they don't cut back on classes at particular rounds any further.

Next year I will make sure I get my ticket in advance, it will be less painful than paying on the gate!
Old 25 May 2015, 20:36 (Ref:3541180)   #50
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Spot on chasing cars and Andy. A simply unbelievable collection of cars and great driving.

British guys are Miles off because the quality is so good. The good thing is that there are 5 top teams willing to put the money in and that makes for very competitive racing. There is a danger that people spending too much (Solberg) may ruin the spectacle for the rest . We shall see about that.

At the moment this is the best I have seen and I have been at the spectator gates for 25 years.

Far too much money on the gates but pre booking was only a fiver more than last year so not sure what the issue is. Chinese and Citroen seem to be comparing apples with oranges in termsof pricing. Frankly,it's boring.