Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Aug 2000, 20:48 (Ref:30220)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pardon me for noticing, but did it seem to anyone else that there was a notable absence of blue flags being waved at one Juan Pablo Montoya who was visibly holding up My Gil in his attempt to lap a man in a much slower car (which was in fact running out of fuel)? Is this Blue Flag business reserved for the assistance of people who drive for Target Chip Ganassi? Or perhaps for waving in the faces of people fighting a Ganassi car for position?

What was the story with that?
Old 13 Aug 2000, 22:44 (Ref:30252)   #2
AndrettiRULES
Rookie

AndrettiRULES should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be completely honest, I never saw Gil close enough to Montoya at the end of the back-stretch to necessitate the blue/yellow flag. Castroneves just came completely up to him and dived under braking, while de ferran was losing ground to him on more than one occasion. Also, if I'm not mistaken Montoya&Jourdain were fighting for position so it's hard to make them move over...although Montoya did indeed do that a few laps later, but that's when he ran out of fuel

AR
Old 14 Aug 2000, 18:24 (Ref:30507)   #3
jb
Rookie

jb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
amazed juan wasn't livid about running out of fuel. guess he thinks sir frank will treat him better than chip
Old 14 Aug 2000, 22:29 (Ref:30549)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think JPM cares a rap about CART now. Chip is wasting any money he paid him for this season if he keeps him in the car.
Old 15 Aug 2000, 03:09 (Ref:30626)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DeFerran was being held up by Montoya.

This is the sort of thing that Juan will have to stop doing if he goes to F1.
Old 15 Aug 2000, 11:27 (Ref:30677)   #6
Liz
Veteran

The first time TGF punts him into the weeds will give him a hint. Then he will have to get new ear plugs to shut out the whining from Mclaren!

Old 15 Aug 2000, 20:01 (Ref:30786)   #7
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was disgusted for the second race in succession at the marshals and their blue flags. Last race, we had Marques blue-flagged to allow Grumpy through to 5th place.

This time, the sod holds up De Ferran and the marshals do nothing. It's not on.

And even without the blue flags being waved, Montoya should have moved over.

Old 16 Aug 2000, 14:04 (Ref:30919)   #8
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think gil was´nt fast enough to pass montoya, so why putting a blue flag, comeon this is racing you wanna pass make a move, the problem is if the slower driver blocks you when entering the corner, as marques did few times against montoya my minardi fellow. You saw helio passing montoya and when juan saw him he just let him by, and i mean one thing is going faster than the guy behind you, and other thing is blocking.
Old 16 Aug 2000, 23:12 (Ref:30975)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Marques was on the lead lap and he got blue flagged for Montoya. Gil was lapping him (as he was trying to lap Carpentier) when he was NOT blue flagged.

But second is a good result for him too as long as Penske gets the win.
Old 17 Aug 2000, 01:27 (Ref:31004)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is really sickening, and has quite honestly soured my opinion of the series as a whole.

There is an obvious double standard. Had it been Montoya on De Ferran, I have no doubt that there would have been blue flag after blue flag. And there was the sickening incident in the last series.

For a series that is trying to makes itself look more like a pro-level racing series in the face of major competition, this cannot help.

These incidents combined with biased marshalling decisions from the past few years (ie favouring Baby Mickey) are part of the reason that Cart will be at best, a farm series for F1.

Good Luck Bobby.
Old 17 Aug 2000, 06:27 (Ref:31034)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IN the defence of flag marshals, all you are seeing is what you see on TV...i think to make a fair assessment of the marshalling you should be at the track.

OK, so you folk have spotted a few booboos, and they have gone in favour of a particular driver. But im 100% certain he has had some go against him. Everyone makes mistakes, if you told everyone to pack their bags as soon as there is a mistake made, there would be nobody left at the ball park...