Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 10 Apr 2019, 03:46 (Ref:3896513)   #4301
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
IndyCar could delay the 2021 engine, if it can help bring a third manufacturer into the series.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/142656

I don't see the need for engine changes anyway, so all the better if a delay helps bring in a third brand.

Next step: open the competition to other chassis.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 14:32 (Ref:3896608)   #4302
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
I don't see the need for engine changes anyway, so all the better if a delay helps bring in a third brand.

Next step: open the competition to other chassis.
As to why the need for a new engine, this article is worth a read.

https://autoweek.com/article/indycar...engine-formula

I agree about opening the competition to other chassis manufacturers.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 14:33 (Ref:3896609)   #4303
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso tests at TMS.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/v...eedway/443027/
Old 10 Apr 2019, 17:08 (Ref:3896625)   #4304
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good to see him running, can’t wait to see him race
Old 10 Apr 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3896660)   #4305
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's a shame, but there won't be a third manufacture.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 19:45 (Ref:3896662)   #4306
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
it's a shame, but there won't be a third manufacture.
It's not definite.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 09:29 (Ref:3896765)   #4307
mstets
Racer

Quote:
As to why the need for a new engine, this article is worth a read.

https://autoweek.com/article/indycar...engine-formula

I agree about opening the competition to other chassis manufacturers.

Not a lot of "need" for a new engine expressed in that article. More power will surely make the cars harder to drive, especially those that aren't as well set up. Normally I'd say that would benefit the big 3 teams, but after Barber and COTA I'm not so sure.

I wonder if this isn't more about setting a new lap record at Indy, within the constraints of the current chassis. Not a big selling point for me.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 12:51 (Ref:3896814)   #4308
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Not a lot of "need" for a new engine expressed in that article. More power will surely make the cars harder to drive, especially those that aren't as well set up. Normally I'd say that would benefit the big 3 teams, but after Barber and COTA I'm not so sure.

I wonder if this isn't more about setting a new lap record at Indy, within the constraints of the current chassis. Not a big selling point for me.
Honda think it's important to have the new engine formula. I read elsewhere Honda had been keen to have engine development opened up again, as they felt they had maximised the 2012-spec engine regulations.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 21:57 (Ref:3897104)   #4309
mstets
Racer

Perhaps Honda could afford to put some more effort into reliability if they have reached the limit with performance.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3897643)   #4310
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
McLaren are still looking to race in IndyCar full time.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/142785
Old 15 Apr 2019, 15:18 (Ref:3897689)   #4311
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think they would do better trying to get their F1 car better
Old 15 Apr 2019, 15:31 (Ref:3897694)   #4312
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think they would do better trying to get their F1 car better
Don’t think it would take too many resources, budget is minimal compared to f1 and it’s an off the shelf car...they may sub it out like they do with the GT3 car.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3897704)   #4313
S griffin
Veteran

Well it might be a distraction, not what they need, although doing it off the shelf helps. They certainly do well with their sportscar projects on the side
Old 19 Apr 2019, 23:22 (Ref:3898669)   #4314
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
One Indy entry for Juncos.

https://racer.com/2019/04/19/juncos-...ndy-500-entry/
Old 23 Apr 2019, 12:53 (Ref:3899174)   #4315
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
JR Hildebrand is to return to Dreyer & Reinbold Racing for the 500, carrying #48 made famous by Dan Gurney.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/142885
Old 25 Apr 2019, 19:15 (Ref:3899617)   #4316
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The Advanced Frontal Protection deflector, made it's debut at yesterday's IMS open test and is the first phase in cockpit protection, with an announcement later in May, on the next development.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/04...eflector-debut

Edit:

Looking at the two photos of the AFP, it looks like has changed somewhat, with the addition of a bracket behind placed it.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/142979

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 27 Apr 2019 at 00:40.
Old 27 Apr 2019, 12:46 (Ref:3899981)   #4317
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The Advanced Frontal Protection deflector, made it's debut at yesterday's IMS open test and is the first phase in cockpit protection, with an announcement later in May, on the next development.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/04...eflector-debut

Edit:

Looking at the two photos of the AFP, it looks like has changed somewhat, with the addition of a bracket behind placed it.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/142979
Gotta love that name "advanced". Looks pretty simplistic to me......
Old 28 Apr 2019, 15:16 (Ref:3900241)   #4318
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Too simplistic. I don't think it will prevent much.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 21:09 (Ref:3900566)   #4319
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Gotta love that name "advanced". Looks pretty simplistic to me......
More advanced than the tiny windscreen slice. But it's for the much larger, size not mass, pieces that have ridden the noses of cars than the canopy protection would cover. If we wait for the best permanent solution they'll never have one since research keeps moving. It can work with the current car and will direct things in that path away from the driver more than nothing does.

But there will always be the it's not perfect let's call it all off cries, and personally those names should be collected and banned from buying tickets. Not a fan of distopian government styled name collecting but it's getting ridiculous with the peanut gallery brain trust and it's time to call them on it. Thankfully some reporters have and have no problem with that, you make a dumbass statement you deserve to own it.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 21:12 (Ref:3900569)   #4320
S griffin
Veteran

I like this one, seems alright for me. Safety will always progress. Seems this one is right for me. I doubt it won’t work, they know what they are doing here. It’s the right move. There is no reason why I see it is not
Old 6 May 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3902230)   #4321
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Too simplistic. I don't think it will prevent much.
Whilst I’m sure you have completed 100s of hours of research and development, invested 100s of thousands of $$$$ into this area to inform the above post - I think I’ll take Indycar’s suggestion here
Old 6 May 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3902234)   #4322
S griffin
Veteran

Well it’s interesting to see where Indycar goes from here. I think those at the top will make a decision based on logic, like they usually do
Old 9 May 2019, 15:56 (Ref:3902805)   #4323
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
O’Ward joins Red Bull Junior Team.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/143259
Old 9 May 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3902843)   #4324
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be amazing for IndyCar to have a driver joining Formula 1
Old 9 May 2019, 18:57 (Ref:3902847)   #4325
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
Would be amazing for IndyCar to have a driver joining Formula 1
Why would that be amazing for IndyCar?