Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Feb 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3885595)   #2226
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Impressed. Not many pro do like this. Bravo. Have fun.
Old 11 Mar 2019, 09:16 (Ref:3889598)   #2227
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you g.

It is bad when you have a bit of time on your hands and a race car sitting in the garage...
As some will recall, I have been bugged by the gear change quality in the car for years, and when it works it is a surprise at 70 mph, so my intent wondered off to improving it.

The layout is in the diagram below, and the major inefficiency is in the 45 deg short link from UJ2 to UJ3.
1/2 the effort I put into a change is lost in that link, so the effort to select and change gear is quite high and contributes to the quality of the change, negatively.

Tried before but with far more determination was to make a much longer and 'straight' angle between UJ2 and the input shaft of the box right at the end of the car.

After some tedious fabrication and welding and such like against all odds I have managed to sneak the new link just under the one silencer but not hanging down under the belly of the car, vulnerable to attack should I go off-roading in the car (it has happened before...)

All done and painted and my right knee decided to tear a bit of ligament, so stopping all re-assembly!

So we have gone from all ready for the year to the car is not ready for the start.

I've had the knee thing before so some rest is called for and all will be fine.
The Members Practice Day at Loton Park will prove this effort one way or another.
Everything I've done is reversible, so I can go back to the last layout within an hour using a few spanners.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0073.JPG  
Old 14 Mar 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3890464)   #2228
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Got all the new parts back on the Lola today, shift feels a bit better, not the radical improvement I expected, but difficult to tell in the garage.

Driving will be the real test.

Next step will be a new gear lever that will give far more leverage but that needs a bit more work.

Still have my knee problem, so decided to 'motorise' the trailer, a mover for the axle and a bright new winch.
Could save further damage in the months to come.

I'm getting old!
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0076.JPG  
Old 15 Mar 2019, 09:56 (Ref:3890623)   #2229
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would it be possible to fit a 914 gear selector to the gearbox?
Apparently they fit early 911 boxes and would give you a forward facing selector to connect to but no idea how much the boxes have changed over time.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3890783)   #2230
911thillclimber
Veteran

Hello Peter,
The 914 cars box is quite a different design, and some had a side shift which is a good thought, but the torque of the engine would kill it!
Old 18 Mar 2019, 09:12 (Ref:3891523)   #2231
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Hello Peter,
The 914 cars box is quite a different design, and some had a side shift which is a good thought, but the torque of the engine would kill it!
Hi
That's what I wasn't sure about - the 914 main casing was apparently a 901 (e.g. early 911) one, but with the forward facing shift.
I guessed they have evolved the 911 gearbox over the years to cope with the increasing power/torque.
Peter
Old 18 Mar 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3891537)   #2232
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well it's intriguing looking back at all these different mechanical designs. It makes you think when you see all the different chassis that were used which was best
Old 19 Mar 2019, 22:57 (Ref:3891944)   #2233
911thillclimber
Veteran

Might be called all part of the fun, but a few duff gearchanges in hill climbing and it is 'Hero' to Zero.

It is truly the only bug in the car, the chassis by McClurg's is perfect, engine good and strong, wish it revved to 7800 though, and it is very nice to have.
People occasionally offer money for it, but my immediate response is no, so I must still be in love!

A box that cannot be rushed, I have the same box in my ex hill climb 1973 911, can't rush that either, but with a well defined gear shifter and H pattern it is better.

All I can do is to try to improve it, hence this exercise.
I will find out if my demon tweek is good or simply another 'demon'

A swop of drivetrain to a modern Porsche Boxster would kill several birds with one big stone. That box has a cable shift and is very good and fast too.

To make things worse, I am lucky enough to have a Boxster so I know what it could be!
7800 red line, bags of torque, fuel injection, big clutch, but...
Not air cooled!
Old 19 Mar 2019, 23:26 (Ref:3891953)   #2234
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good luck with it, hope it goes well for you, you’ve got a good car there
Old 30 Mar 2019, 17:37 (Ref:3894297)   #2235
911thillclimber
Veteran

Luck ran out!
Found out last week I had forgotten to enter the Member's Practice Day....
Over subscribed, I had no chance to get in, so went to see who and what was there today.

Surprise was this car could be in my class this year, a Pilbeam MP42, HART engine and a very experienced driver.
Ran Loton hill today in 55 secs, my best is 56.
Also have a Metro 6R4 V6 turbo, a real one....

Might not get the Trophy this year. Time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0036.JPG  
Old 1 Apr 2019, 07:25 (Ref:3894608)   #2236
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Surprise was this car could be in my class this year, a Pilbeam MP42, HART engine and a very experienced driver.
Ran Loton hill today in 55 secs, my best is 56.
I always thought the MP42 Pilbeam was a ground effect F2 car, driven by Patrick Neve on the circuits. IIRC Martyn Griffiths then bought it and ran it on the hills.

Is it that the same car now running a Sports Car body?
Im not being picky, just interested.
( I used to run the hills in Clubmans (1600 and then 1700cc A class) cars back in the 70's and early 80's before I moved to Aus. I used to love Loton and was a Hagley Club member. My favourite hill.)
Old 1 Apr 2019, 16:31 (Ref:3894697)   #2237
911thillclimber
Veteran

That will be my mistake...
MP43 is correct.
Old 1 Apr 2019, 21:27 (Ref:3894747)   #2238
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That will be my mistake...
MP43 is correct.
Thanks for clarifying. Whatever its history it seems like it will be stern competition for you. Good luck with your season.

There was also a quick 5.0 BMW V8 powered MP43 on the hills not so long ago. Cant remember the driver STR it was blue. Think it was for sale last year.

Chris

Last edited by E.B; 1 Apr 2019 at 21:35.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 16:22 (Ref:3894900)   #2239
911thillclimber
Veteran

That will be David Seaton from Scotland.
Very strong car driver combo.
David is usually quicker than me, but I managed to reverse that last year!

Car still for sale, it is a real beauty, £45,000

The red Pilbeam is being driven by a real hot shot, but might not be in my class in my Championship, I can only hope....

17 days and we are OFF!
Old 13 Apr 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3897233)   #2240
911thillclimber
Veteran

This is a VERY long wait for the first race on the 20/21 April!
To try to stave off boredom, I have had another go at the gearchange and have made some progress!

I started the car, up on stands, and drove through the gears sitting in the car, race boots on to get 'real' feel of the shift. It was late Sept 18 when I last drove the car.

The shift from 2nd to 3rd was still notchy with a marked step when going from neutral to 3rd (from second) but not so much from 4th to 3rd.
Switched off, had a good go at the movement as slowly as I could and noticed the step going to 3rd from neutral and realised what was happening.
The linkage was actually going just to the right of the H gate so the lever was pushing 'just' against the land from neutral/3rd and the slot towards 5th. At times it would slip back to the left and go to 3rd.
This was down to the spring detent in the external mechanism (a simple compression coil spring) allowing the over-shoot of the shift rod.
I tightened all the clearances up everywhere I could and re-set the spring to be about 1mm compressed when the lever is moved to 3rd from neutral and the step is gone.

I could do with a coil spring with a stiffer rate or a greater pre load which will be the next step.

All in all a much better positive feel with scope for a bit more to come.

The coil spring compresses when you 'slap' the short gear lever across to the right to get reverse. Often I have to move the car around the paddock parking slot when I'm back down and off the hill so getting reverse is essential for my 20 point reversing to my narrow slot while everyone stares...

All this is hard to express in words, so I hope these pictures will help if anyone is watching still!

Had a closer look at why this box is so awkward to shift gear in today.
In summary I have managed to get things far better.
I started the car, up on stands and drove through the gears sitting in the car, race boots on to get 'real' feel of the shift. It was late Sept 18 when I last drove the car.

The shift from 2nd to 3rd was still notchy with a marked step when going from neutral to 3rd (from second) but not so much from 4th to 3rd.
Switched off, had a good go at the movement as slowly as I could and noticed the step going to 3rd from neutral and realised what was happening.
The linkage was actually going just to the right of the H gate so the lever was pushing 'just' against the land from neutral/3rd and the slot towards 5th. At times it would slip back to the left and go to 3rd.
This was down to the spring detent in the external mechanism (a simple compression coil spring) allowing the over-shoot of the shift rod.
I tightened all the clearances up everywhere I could and re-set the spring to be about 1mm compressed when the lever is moved to 3rd from neutral and the step is gone.

I could do with a coil spring with a stiffer rate or a greater pre load which will be the next step.

All in all a much better positive feel with scope for a bit more to come.

The coil spring compresses when you 'slap' the short gear lever across to the right to get reverse. Often I have to move the car around the paddock parking slot when I'm back down and off the hill so getting reverse is essential for my 20 point reversing to my narrow slot while everyone stares...

All this is hard to express in words, so I hope these pictures will help if anyone is watching still!
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0057.JPG   _DSC0056.JPG  
Old 20 Apr 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3898772)   #2241
911thillclimber
Veteran

At last the season has kicked-off at Loton Park where the over and under 2 litre cars have been amalgamated as usual, thus 5 in the class, but only me entered for the Midland championship, so the results are split out after tomorrow is all done, race day tomorrow.

The first practice run was a gentle run up the hill, first time I've driven the Lola for 6 months and the first time with my demon tweeked gear change.

Not a bad run, the one issue was selecting 1st after a flat out run in 2nd which zinged the motor a bit, but all's well. Terrible time on a perfect condition track, 63.05, a joke.

Second practice was more focused and 57.58/1.99 start was a good result, gears worked well (!) minimal operator error for a change.

After many red flags, spilles and thrills for a few third practice was cancelled and we came home for a cool Cobra beer which I am about to enjoy after this!

Tomorrow will be a challenge, I'm running last of the 5 and 2 seconds slower than my best of last year.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0403.JPG   IMG_0408.JPG  
Old 21 Apr 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3898896)   #2242
A.C.Clegg
Rookie

A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope that you had a most successful weekend.
Old 21 Apr 2019, 18:13 (Ref:3898910)   #2243
911thillclimber
Veteran

Well...
We are back in one piece and the car is good for Prescott next weekend, but not the best of race days.

Really hot, I don't like getting boiled and the first run up the hill was a surprising 58.22 which beats me as it felt a lot faster, but that is what the clock said. Miserable.
Everyone in the class was miles ahead and me 3 seconds slower than my PB.
Second run ths afternoon was hotter and at the start line I left with a vengeance, but within 2 seconds was stopped on a red flag, someone ahead of me had failed.
Back to the start line, more than a few degrees hotter and off we went again...
Another red flag!
Eventually got there to a less miserable 57.42, my fastest time all weekend.
PB is a low 55.
So, last in class of 5 runners, fastest was the HART engine Pilbeam MP43 @ 52.55, the EVO Mini @54.37, the Norma @ 54.54, the Sylva Riot @ 55.47

Not pleased, and Prescott might be wet!

We shall see. The MP43, the EVO and a 1950 Bentley Special are my class mates, so might get 3rd!
Old 27 Apr 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3900034)   #2244
911thillclimber
Veteran

A dry, cold and very windy Prescott, and practice did not go at all well, but luck was certainly on my side this morning, Big Time.
Took the car up the greasy hill, nice and gentle and did a comfortable 52 sec, PB is 46!
Got back into the paddock which is grass on mud and well saturated over night.
The spot for the car is on a steep slope but been there once before, so stopped the car and my Boss put the chock in front of the rear wheel as normal.
Sat in the car to be sure all was well, removed the steering wheel and started to get out of the car, about 80% out and suddenly the car started to run away down the slope, straight at the crowded paddock.....

Slithered 1/2 way back in desperately trying to stop the rolling car, couldn't get to the brake pedal, pushed the gear lever to 1st and hit neutral, through someone's awning and into the main paddock to a large fence with people at it...

Turned the front wheels with my hands on the steering shaft and came to a gentle halt having missed everyone and everything, simply because 5 fellow racers had got hold of the back of the run away car!

What a fright and caused quite a commotion but no body hurt, just my hand and a smashed nose on the car due to the awning leg that pushed out of the way.

The chock had simply sank into the mud and the car rolled over it and off it went. Soooo lucky.

I should have put the car into gear as well as the chock, but didn't, lesson learnt.
Poor wife was blaming herself, but my fault.

However....
If I had later returned to start the engine for the 2nd run the instant the car was out of gear the car would have go off!

Interestingly, one of my class mates in the space next to me moves due to the mud and slipping, and on the other side of me, Allan had his car nearly run off too!

Came home early and made plates, rivets and fibre glass resin to repair the nose moulding on the car, the chassis is ok, and will do a far better repair next week.

Not a day I wish to repeat, hope tomorrow is very different, or my luck is still strong.
Old 28 Apr 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3900292)   #2245
911thillclimber
Veteran

Sunday, and race day.
Dry track, windy and cold but had to put yesterday away and focus on the day.
We had one practice run and then 2 race timed runs, both counting to points.
Practice was good, gears selected well (!) and netted48.86 and a start time of 2.35.
Everyone in the field struggled to get a good start, down to the cold I think.
Timed first run was a better 47.31/2.3 and the second run 47.40/2.3, consistent starts!

The awning I hit yesterday needs replacing, but the gent agreed I could have the 9 month old awning (which can be straightened easy) and I would buy a new one for him.
I sleep easy and all is well concerning yesterday that really could have been horrendous. I'll sell the repaired awning for 1/2 the cost of the new one.

Despite the issues of yesterday, We both admit the hill climb game is wearing thin after 27 years, but will ask ourselves if we feel the same at the end of this season.
If we have had enough, we will leave it completely behind us and do something else.
All in all, a sobering weekend that could have been tragic.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0414.JPG  
Old 29 Apr 2019, 07:02 (Ref:3900400)   #2246
A.C.Clegg
Rookie

A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's good that you had a better day Sunday. I always find it difficult to stop doing things that I have enjoyed!!
Old 29 Apr 2019, 16:44 (Ref:3900518)   #2247
911thillclimber
Veteran

Yes Andy, the Car Thing has been with me for 50 years, the hill climb for 27 in 3 different cars and much in between.
Terrible problem with no known cure unless you are broke!

Been repairing properly the damage to the front clam moulding that took the hit from the awning leg on the way down the paddock.
It seems that it never happened, wishful thinking, but I was a very lucky boy, and so were those in the paddock at the time.

The paddock marshals and other competitors saved the day by grabbing the rear of the car and eventually dragging it to a halt.

As with the previous red body, the front had damage hidden by contrasting colours painted over the crunch, and this one is no different.
The lower 50mm of the leading edge will be 'AA Van Yellow' by the end of tomorrow, that will remind me of Saturday....

Renewed my insurance on the car for storage and transportation at home, to and from the venue and while at the race track standing still over a weekend etc.

Been with Reis for years, but was told of another provider and the right number to call for a quote.
After a few calls getting info sorted out I got the same cover for £137 instead of £380!

Pays to shop around, that is £250 ish towards the new replacement awning I damaged and I get the damaged awning too next week which is easy to repair, just a few hours.
Might keep it or sell to off-set some more of the cost.

Looking forward, Shelsley next weekend, bit of a clubbie meeting, but Championship point earner.
Just 4 in the amalgamated class, usual suspects, BUT the first appearance of the Metro 6R4, turbo V6 and all that.

Their paddock is nice and level so I should be safe.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 21:08 (Ref:3900564)   #2248
S griffin
Veteran

Well hillclimbing always seems fun to do and it’s why people do it for so long. It’s great that after you damaged your car, you were able to get it out again after help from marshals and fellow competitors
Old 29 Apr 2019, 21:42 (Ref:3900574)   #2249
911thillclimber
Veteran

Hill climbing is a very easy form of motorsport, and has long had a good sense of humour and help to fellow competitors.
Many meeting are like a garden party, some take it Very Seriously, some the opposite; I'm somewhere in the middle.

It has lost it's MoJo and has become stale for me and my assistant, the Team Manager, the Wife.
We will see how we feel at the end of the year in late September, but the mood is set by a number of things that just are not adding up.
The run-away episode on Saturday certainly did not help.

I hope Shelsley Walsh will brighten things up, fabulous venue, steeped in rich atmosphere and frightening to drive as fast as you dare.

You buzz all over after a good run up the steep hill!
Old 30 Apr 2019, 07:26 (Ref:3900637)   #2250
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand the loss of enthusiasm, and you have been doing it a long time. How about a change of discipline?
I have just entered my first ever tarmac rally at 3 Sisters Kart track near Wigan. From their FB account:

“Plenty entries left on the Cetus Stages on Sunday 12th. may 2019, the second round of The 6r4.com Three Sisters Rally Challenge 2019 over £500 worth of cash prizes to be won overall and class wins for both driver and co-driver.

Regulations and online entry form can be found on the motor club website at :- www.wiganmotorclub.org.uk
28 stage miles, 12 stages on all sealed newly laid tarmacadum. Excellent facilities for competitors and spectators, entry fee only £165.00”

Looks good value to me. And each of the 12 stages will be like a long hillclimb or sprint run. We shall see.
Yes, you obviously need a suitable rally car but plenty available fir not massive money, particularly in Ireland. You also need a co-driver but i had a volunteer to sit with me after i posted a “wanted ad” on the british rally forum!