Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25 Feb 2012, 23:27 (Ref:3031140)   #29
FJB
Rookie

FJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Image Fortmula Ford

Hi

I suppose I had better contribute a bit to this thread as I drove for Image for a couple of exciting years.
The first Image FF2 was finished at 10pm on the Saturday night the day before a Brands championship race, having never been tested. We pushed it, in the dark, under the barrier onto the old Tangmere Aerodrome, past the MOD security man reading his paper who never saw us. We fitted a silencer and I charged round for a bit amongst the old ladies walking their dogs etc on the perimeter track, the steering wheel pulling off the rack at one stage, as in the rush the security bolt had been omitted!
We pushed it back past the security man, the gearbox now cracking loudly as it cooled, but still we were not seen.
After a few laps of practice against the best drivers, we found ourselves in pole position for the main champioship round. On the first lap. works Royale driver Geoff Lees put his wheel in front of my back wheel at Druids and braked, allowing me to ride over the wheel and go up at 45 degrees but fortunately not right over, but damaging the suspension. Caused a bit of a sensation I think.
We had some development problems in the next few months, one memorable occasion when being on the front row at Lydden with the front brakes siezed on unable to pull away but with the rear wheels spinning, and another at Oulton park when the steering column clamp, overtightened, stripped the threads and the steering failed coming out of Knickerbrook. Stopped OK. Gave the works Hawks a wake up call as we were very competitive against them in 1976.
I have all sorts of memories some unpublishable of course, some good soem bad. I will try to attach some photos.
A video here which I ams sure you have found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2eG4SDEw4A
We won loads of competitive races, and I was leading the BARC championship in 1977 when I was involved in a massive shunt at Silverstone, so I am told, as I lost the memory of that week!

Cheers
FJB