Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

View Poll Results: Which cars max 3.5litres
Sportscars 1968 - 1985 0 0%
Sportscars Up to 1985 0 0%
GT 1968 - 1985 0 0%
GT Up to 1985 0 0%
Saloons 1968 - 1985 0 0%
Saloons Up to 1985 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2493716)   #301
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I presume MG's are so versatile that they are prod saloons as well.....!!!
Didn't they make an Austin 1100/1300 badged as an MG...my dad told me about them!

[/QUOTE]
Although outside of my normal racing car period I would consider running a car for this - an Alfa 2000 GTV seems to be the perfect tool - cheap, reliable and in 2000 litre form if they are not too badly penalized on the weight could be quite a competitive car. I presume Yoki's would be allowed given the eligible years?[/QUOTE]

Alfas of many sorts would be ideal - Guilia, Giulietta (nuova), Alfetta GTV/GTV6, Suds & Sprints and early 33s.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2493717)   #302
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On the subject of the Willhire look at this post.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....1&postcount=33

BTW, the reference to the BGT was due to one Julius Thurgood.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:46 (Ref:2493718)   #303
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ignoring the "Flat Packers" and B,good saloon mixture.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2493721)   #304
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Flat packers?
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2493722)   #305
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see a Fiat in the there, too! I bet not many people ever say that!! Anyway, certainly representative of the type of field that it would be good to attract.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:05 (Ref:2493731)   #306
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Flat packers?

Morgans.Repair kits available from MFI!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:26 (Ref:2493744)   #307
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
having just skimmed through the Willhire thread on the history page I think a facsimile of that race would be a lot of fun. Are Willhire still around and woudl they lend their name to it?
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:39 (Ref:2493753)   #308
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Simon, I wondered that, too, & went on the web. Now called Anglian Willhire - regionally based in....East Anglia. If the race was at Snetterton, you may be able to persuade them but they don't seem to spread as far west as Northampton!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:41 (Ref:2493756)   #309
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
having just skimmed through the Willhire thread on the history page I think a facsimile of that race would be a lot of fun.
Really?
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2493757)   #310
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Simon, I wondered that, too, & went on the web. Now called Anglian Willhire - regionally based in....East Anglia. If the race was at Snetterton, you may be able to persuade them but they don't seem to spread as far west as Northampton!
maybe the answer is then to make it 12 hours and have it at Snett.....
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2493764)   #311
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
maybe the answer is then to make it 12 hours and have it at Snett.....
I rather suspect the noise problems at Snetterton would preclude that! The Willhire took place in a rather more enlightened age!!!!!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2493766)   #312
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The major consideration for Silverstone is that it allows snatch and return to paddock. Which means that a car can be repaired (subject to severity of course) and return to the fray. I stand to be corrected but I don't think Snet does that. Refueling would be ok at both simply becuase we'd run pump fuel and there are pumps in the paddock.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:57 (Ref:2493767)   #313
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I think that 6 hours is long enough!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2493769)   #314
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The major consideration for Silverstone is that it allows snatch and return to paddock. Which means that a car can be repaired (subject to severity of course) and return to the fray. I stand to be corrected but I don't think Snet does that.
I think that's the overiding reason why Silverstone has to be the favoured option
Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:01 (Ref:2493770)   #315
simon drabble
Veteran

for all sorts of reasons i prefer Silverstone but I think if you guys can get Willhire to allow you use of name it would add a lot of cred to all... this will be an important hurdle for you because its one thing a load of web anoraks (myself included!!) enthusing on the idea its another getting teams to send you money.
I would imagine that unless someone is prepared to underwrite the cost you could find yourself in a chicken and egg situation hence the benefit of using their name....
Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2493772)   #316
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I, for one, did not realise that the original Willhire had sports & saloon cars compete. Anyone know when the sports cars stopped being admitted? That might be a useful cut off date for eligibility considerations. A Porsche Carrera RS won in 1984 and thats the last "sportscar" winner but I'm not sure whether sportscars entered subsequentley but just didn't win.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2493776)   #317
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I don't think the period matters, just stick to the plan.

If as it seems from the poll (currently) that the majority are looking at Sports/GT/Saloons then it suggests the original Willhire format is preferred anyway. Also don't forget, Silverstone has a larger capacity grid.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2493780)   #318
simon drabble
Veteran

I think that you can start 45 or so cars cant you?
Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2493788)   #319
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yep and I understand that for longer distance races (John can confirm) there's an additional number that can be added.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:31 (Ref:2493794)   #320
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

44 on the current circuit licence + we should get 20% increase for a 6 hour race .
That number could change if the proposed alterations at Silverstone take place but I would suspect upwards rather than downwards......we are, of course, hoping for a full grid!!!!
This is one of the challenges when trying to plan a year ahead!!!!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2493850)   #321
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
having just skimmed through the Willhire thread on the history page I think a facsimile of that race would be a lot of fun. Are Willhire still around and woudl they lend their name to it?
I think you will find that the company listed now is Willhire in name only. Roger Williams was a big supporter of E Anglia rallying and racing- driving and sponsoring- but is better known now for his SS100 and C type replicas- built in Suffolk.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2493902)   #322
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Peter Mallett;2493149]Yep,

Let's not forget also that the person who got this ball rolling then buggered off to gawd knows where, races a saloon car (Fiat 128 IIRC) so he'd certainly be upset if a load of low slung Merlyns, Lotii etc. muscled in. [/QUOTE

Peter I was away on holidays as a matter of fact. I have a life outside this lark!!
I have been reading through all this and unfortunately my original intention seems to have gotten lost in translation. The idea was if you read my opener, for cars of a so called historic nature complying to a couple of criteria/rule/tyre types that didn't have access to the likes of Spa 6hr or similar. The kind of folk like Moosehead, Celia, Cliff ryan etc etc that seem to be getting lost in all this. Now its a mid 80's re run.
However It has legs so good on you all. Just hope I can get an entry!!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 14:46 (Ref:2493940)   #323
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
[QUOTE=Podd37;2493902]
Quote:
Yep,

Let's not forget also that the person who got this ball rolling then buggered off to gawd knows where, races a saloon car (Fiat 128 IIRC) so he'd certainly be upset if a load of low slung Merlyns, Lotii etc. muscled in. [/QUOTE

Peter I was away on holidays as a matter of fact. I have a life outside this lark!!
I have been reading through all this and unfortunately my original intention seems to have gotten lost in translation. The idea was if you read my opener, for cars of a so called historic nature complying to a couple of criteria/rule/tyre types that didn't have access to the likes of Spa 6hr or similar. The kind of folk like Moosehead, Celia, Cliff ryan etc etc that seem to be getting lost in all this. Now its a mid 80's re run.
However It has legs so good on you all. Just hope I can get an entry!!

Of course you will,just depends on what car you want to use. [PS,Whats a "Holiday"?]
Old 30 Jun 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2493984)   #324
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I think that's the overiding reason why Silverstone has to be the favoured option

Totally agree and Peter knows my views on snatch
Old 30 Jun 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2493990)   #325
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, it definitely depends upon the availability and of course the licensing.

Tags
alternative 6hrs, classic cars, cscc, ctcrc, mgcc bcv8