Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jul 2014, 07:11 (Ref:3430173)   #1
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2015 BTCC news & rumours

I hope it isn't too early for this! There are just over 4 weeks until Snett, so let's do something, erm, constructive, in the time in between.

Obviously, with Mr Plato bashing the RWD package, he's said a few times that he has to switch to RWD for next season. Whether this is a red-mist comment or him genuinely planning on RWD for next season remains to be seen...

...however, Motorbase have all but confirmed running BMWs for 2015.

However, there are these: http://www.brosnan-racing.com/?galle...c-2015-project
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/red-...60-intentions/

Andy Neate is also looking to return in 2015, apparently. But, of course, there are only 31 TBLs...
Old 4 Jul 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3430304)   #2
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I would put a vote in for 888 moving to BMW's, which would tie in well with their sportscar activity. Only problem is that it's unlikely they would get a works deal from BMW, so would be reliant on sponsors and am I right in thinking that Tesco/KX is in it's final year?

On the subject of 'works' entries, I've not seen the usual rumours of any new manufacturers looking at it, unless someone knows different!
Old 4 Jul 2014, 14:20 (Ref:3430313)   #3
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
On the subject of 'works' entries, I've not seen the usual rumours of any new manufacturers looking at it, unless someone knows different!
So Volvo and Kia haven't confirmed entries yet?!
Old 4 Jul 2014, 14:31 (Ref:3430315)   #4
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The much rumoured Volvo BTCC entry was dependent on 3rd party funding to run the cars. I know that a particular sponsor was interested in covering this on the basis that the cars ran entirely in their corporate colours, but I believe that Volvo allegedly wanted to retain control over the livery so that it still had Volvo 'look and feel', so that was a no go.....
Old 4 Jul 2014, 18:09 (Ref:3430358)   #5
PandaKing
Rookie

PandaKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't there a rumour on one if the threads that Vauxhall had contacted 888 about running Astras next season.
Old 4 Jul 2014, 18:24 (Ref:3430361)   #6
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Red Pheonix Racing confirmed as a no-go? A brief Googling brings nothing apart from the original announcement on BTCC Crazy.
Old 4 Jul 2014, 19:52 (Ref:3430382)   #7
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Calendar: Brands Hatch Indy, Donington Park, Thruxton, Oulton Park Island, Croft, Snetterton, Knockhill, Rockingham, Silverstone, Brands Hatch GP.

Can anyone see any variation from that? Does anyone want to see any variation from that? I personally would like to see the calendar stick as it is, if it ain't broke don't fix it! If the past is anything to go by, this will be confirmed between Rockingham or Silverstone or at one of those two events.

Supports will remain, I expect to see Ginetta and Renault make some subtle changes to boost entries. Of course there is the introduction of FIA F4, which I expect to become a major Junior Single Seater attraction from the get go.

The BTCC. 888 will stay front wheel drive, at least with Marc Hynes who I understand is staying in an MG.

Honda may revert to Hatchback, stick with Estate or switch to the Type R.

I expect to see the Motorbase 3 Series at Snetterton, although I think that is just my personal hunch and nothing else.

I hope to see Giovanardi and Menu stay and without new manufactures in the WTCC, I think if the correct package is provided then they will remain.

I think Gow will want to retrieve a TBL, from where I do not know. I imagine there could be a large team wanting to downsize or a small squad who cannot fund 2015.
Old 4 Jul 2014, 20:44 (Ref:3430393)   #8
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe wait until there is any news or even rumours (not idle speculation) relating to 2015? Otherwise it's just going to become a spam-fest.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3431814)   #9
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I suppose that by starting a thread with a link to an old 2013 article about a 2014 entry that never materialised, then things can hardly go downhill from there.

On the subject of tracks, the new owners of Mallory Park are making noises about wanting to attract back BSB and BTCC at some point in the future (but not 2015). I'm not sure how much substance there is in this. Here's the article anyway.

http://www.crash.net/bsb/news/206326...sb-return.html

Some of the talk about future RWD entries by current teams is surely just part of a political game they are playing, designed to encourage the BTCC organisers to slap somekind of performance handicapping on the current RWD cars.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3431818)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I suppose that by starting a thread with a link to an old 2013 article about a 2014 entry that never materialised, then things can hardly go downhill from there.

On the subject of tracks, the new owners of Mallory Park are making noises about wanting to attract back BSB and BTCC at some point in the future (but not 2015). I'm not sure how much substance there is in this. Here's the article anyway.

http://www.crash.net/bsb/news/206326...sb-return.html

Some of the talk about future RWD entries by current teams is surely just part of a political game they are playing, designed to encourage the BTCC organisers to slap somekind of performance handicapping on the current RWD cars.
It wouldn't surprise me if by the end of the year there is an additional rwd weight penalty. It's muddied a bit though by past rules. When the supertouring bmw's had their 60kg of extra weight, they were very different cars. Bespoke suspension setup designed for rwd, plus they had na engines which aided engine braking far more than the current turbos, which have much less engine braking.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3431854)   #11
Moneyseeker
Veteran

If more RWD cars are built for next year, I wonder if TOCA will go the GT route and ask teams to submit cars for performance balancing testing pre-season with netutral driver, in an attempt to head off any equivalency issues? I recall that SRO did this pre the FIA GT World Champs with Frentzen driving all the cars.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 17:27 (Ref:3431858)   #12
PandaKing
Rookie

PandaKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far TOCA have a track record of reactive performance balancing. I think TOCA were wrong to slap the longer first gear on in one of the shorter inter-race windows. Especially with the testing regulations.

But everyone threatening to use RWD was nothing more than smoke and mirrors, with the exception of Motorbase. Bartrum could well show up next year (or earlier) with a BMW, more out of brand loyalty.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 11:28 (Ref:3433785)   #13
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114956
British Touring Car Championship street race remains unlikely despite last week's announcement that more closed-road motorsport events will be allowed in the UK
Old 14 Jul 2014, 12:27 (Ref:3433795)   #14
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
British Touring Car Championship street race remains unlikely despite last week's announcement that more closed-road motorsport events will be allowed in the UK
In other news, Pope believed to be Catholic.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 13:12 (Ref:3433806)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There RWD v FWD debate is given detailed treatment in this Autosport Plus article. I get the feeling that something will be done to arrest the progression of the WSR cars for next year... meaning we're likely to see a status quo in terms of many of the cars/teams.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3433813)   #16
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
I guess the hopes of the a revived Birmingham Superprix were just hopes after all...

...with the TOCA licenses meaning full-time entries, does that mean that Mondello Park is any more likely?
Old 14 Jul 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3433830)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I guess the hopes of the a revived Birmingham Superprix were just hopes after all...

...with the TOCA licenses meaning full-time entries, does that mean that Mondello Park is any more likely?
From what I understand, Mondello had to foot the [very hefty] cost of getting the entire TOCA circus to the track as well as putting them up while they were there. In the end this proved to be too costly and Mondello asked to be dropped from the calendar. I wonder do other circuits in Britain have to pay TOCA, competitors etc... for transport and accommodation ?
Old 15 Jul 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3434104)   #18
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, because those circuits are in the UK. Spa, Zandvoort, or any other circuit outside the UK would have to pay I'd imagine.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 16:11 (Ref:3434152)   #19
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mondello Park is in the Republic of Ireland. Last time I checked, that's not in the UK

And can we not start a diplomatic disaster...
Old 16 Jul 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3434364)   #20
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Mondello Park is in the Republic of Ireland. Last time I checked, that's not in the UK

And can we not start a diplomatic disaster...
I'm trying to find out where somebody said that it wasn't ? I grew up in Dublin and spent 10 years racing at Mondello, so that's a fact that's unlikely to have escaped me
Old 16 Jul 2014, 09:42 (Ref:3434376)   #21
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I'm trying to find out where somebody said that it wasn't ? I grew up in Dublin and spent 10 years racing at Mondello, so that's a fact that's unlikely to have escaped me
I thought Mr Medius implied that it wouldn't have to pay, saying that circuits in the UK didn't have to pay, so I pointed out that Mondello Park is in Ireland.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 10:58 (Ref:3434392)   #22
Madd_Dogg88
Racer

Madd_Dogg88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wonder do other circuits in Britain have to pay TOCA, competitors etc... for transport and accommodation ?
Quote:
No, because those circuits are in the UK. Spa, Zandvoort, or any other circuit outside the UK would have to pay I'd imagine.
I believe Medius was responding to the question by saying that the other circuits on the calendar, which are in Britain, do not pay. I read that as not including Mondello, which is the same as Zanvoort, Spa etc.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3434407)   #23
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lets just say it was all bit vague and I got confused...
Old 16 Jul 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3434409)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Eire is part of the British Isles but not the UK
Old 16 Jul 2014, 13:11 (Ref:3434470)   #25
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd_Dogg88 View Post
I believe Medius was responding to the question by saying that the other circuits on the calendar, which are in Britain, do not pay. I read that as not including Mondello, which is the same as Zanvoort, Spa etc.
It's how I read that also.
Closed Thread