Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 May 2016, 22:46 (Ref:3645917)   #276
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks
Old 31 May 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3646017)   #277
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by divxx View Post
Regarding the HTP protest, one point that stuck out in the DSC article is that Vietoris is apparently the only AMG factory driver on their lineup. Surprised van der Zande isn't. For that matter, does anyone know the full list of AMG factory GT drivers? I'm only sure of Schneider, Jager and Engel. For a long time, it was only the two old guys, who were also responsible for car development and customer relations.
Hohenadel is also a works driver. They have the Mercedes-Benz star on their overall. These are all the works drivers in the race last weekend: Christodoulou, Engel, Schneider, Buurman, Götz, Seyffarth, Hohenadel, Vietoris, Baumann, Buhk, Jäger. Renger isn't a works driver, and neither is Indy, but Indy is a Junior and Renger also has some sort of relationship with AMG be it official or unofficial.
Old 31 May 2016, 17:30 (Ref:3646095)   #278
divxx
Racer

United States
Other side of the pond
divxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Miguel, so that accounts for 9 if not counting the DTM men. Though based on recent form Vietoris (and probably Juncadella) will be out of the DTM soon to make way for Rosenquist. Good thing for them that the GT program is growing.

Wasn't Baumann previously a BMW works driver?
Old 31 May 2016, 18:21 (Ref:3646108)   #279
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure about Baumann, a BMW Junior maybe? AMG should pick up Manuel Metzger. The things they say about Manuel at Black Falcon...
Old 31 May 2016, 19:01 (Ref:3646114)   #280
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
If only next year we actually got teams that bring Ferrari's and McLaren's to this race; they'd be up near the front of the field for sure
Old 31 May 2016, 19:49 (Ref:3646123)   #281
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldn't be so sure about that; I'd hope so, and McLaren were quick when Dorr were doing full VLN seasons though, so maybe.

If the same numbers of entries and AMR, Bentley and Nissan return next year, then that would be excellent. Porsche too, I'd cast a small doubt over being there in a works capacity, I fear this year may have been as a break from the WEC campaign and to promote the new GT3 (which was hardly done well!).

If there are any more GT entries next year, I'd expect a car from Callaway maybe, with Lexus and a more serious Lamborghini effort as outside bets. Personally I'd love to see GM run a Cadillac, and it would tie in perfectly with their marketing of that car, but I'm past expecting that to happen.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 00:41 (Ref:3646207)   #282
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Personally I'd love to see GM run a Cadillac, and it would tie in perfectly with their marketing of that car, but I'm past expecting that to happen.
That car may be losing it's GT3 homologation.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 06:45 (Ref:3646243)   #283
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
If only next year we actually got teams that bring Ferrari's and McLaren's to this race; they'd be up near the front of the field for sure

I seem to remember this being discussed during the race on RLM.

I think they said McLaren were too busy this year with other series and Ferrari just did not want to race at the N24/VLN.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 08:25 (Ref:3646251)   #284
rubberduck
Rookie

Germany
Nordschleife - related
rubberduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And i would guess Doerr binned a lot of money on their McLaren efforts. They lost like a dozen cars with nothing countably besides plenty of TDs (okay, and a fastest Quali lap. Which is mainly contributed to Kevin Estre and not the Mc). I'm actually not sure if they race at all at the moment, which is kind of sad as they were a huge team in the VLN and fielded iconic cars.
I would say nobody is desired to reproduce this.

If i was a German team - and be realistic, it always will be German teams governing the Nurburgring, heck, they almost all are based there - and have to decide between a GT program using some exotic, unproven even in other series car with a (from my customers perspective) intransparent supply chain still costing plenty of €€ OR using a proven (if only historically), maintained car of a manufacturer interested in seeing his products racing, offering logistic and technical support, more or less short supply paths (think of revisions etc), maybe "donating" one of his drivers...that'll be a no brainer imho notwithstanding a huge bill at the end.
Isn't the word that the Mercedes offers the best lifecycle costs a.t.m. for exactly this reason, which is the basis of his widespread use?

We have to be realistic: Fan - loyality and iconess (does that word exist?) doesn't earn money. Plus: The concentration of the teams towards system vendoring of "racing", white labelling etc. prevents the turning up of an exot in itself. To use strong language: Nobody wants an Italian manual in standardized surroundings (and fielding >2 GT3 AMG, some Cup Porsches and some V class BMW as Black Falcon does is a standardized process)
If for anything, a huge foreign, works supported team has to become really interested in winning the N24. And this starts with a couple of VLN seasons. Look at Lexus & Aston: Increased efforts every single year towards the 24, abstinence before and after. The result: Cars struggling all the time right before becoming competitive.
MarcVDS or WRT may fit as proper examples of how to do it right, if they wouldn't have used the BMW resp. Audi in the end. But Belgium is still closer to GER than to the UK or ITA and, what i would weight more, we can only guess how much of Schubert and Phoenix knowledge went into either of them.

Last edited by rubberduck; 1 Jun 2016 at 08:42.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 10:57 (Ref:3646272)   #285
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
I seem to remember this being discussed during the race on RLM.

I think they said McLaren were too busy this year with other series and Ferrari just did not want to race at the N24/VLN.
McLarens Garage 59 team were at the GT Open race the week before, and have the Blacnpain efforts, so couldn't make it.

Always sad not to see Ferraris there though.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 15:14 (Ref:3646344)   #286
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't think Dörr Motorsport is doing any motorsport at the moment.
They have dealership of McLaren, Lamborghini, Lotus and Bugatti so from business point of view it makes sense to race with one of these brands.

Why does Ferrari have no interest in racing at this iconic track?
Old 1 Jun 2016, 16:38 (Ref:3646354)   #287
TheDude
Racer

Portugal
Ourem
TheDude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
They have dealership of McLaren, Lamborghini, Lotus and Bugatti so from business point of view it makes sense to race with one of these brands.

I Think Dorr is in the Lamborghini ST series
Old 1 Jun 2016, 16:43 (Ref:3646356)   #288
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It was reported during the race that when asked by a potential customer, a man in red answered they had no interest, as the track is too rough.

*Looks over at Sebring*

I imagine it has more to do with the man in red not believing his car potentially might not be given fair treatment. Just my unfounded opinion.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 16:47 (Ref:3646357)   #289
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I guess is because N24H is most of all a german motorsport tradition, and very likely because there are just a few german teams running 458/488 (the rinaldi team is the only one I remember). Of course my statement isn't 100% accurate because AMR and RJN are english teams, but after 2010 and 2011 ferrari and its teams simply don't care about nurburgring.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 17:40 (Ref:3646374)   #290
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Ferrari don't race factory supported GT3s anywhere, do they? Strictly customer only from their perspective.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 17:44 (Ref:3646375)   #291
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Quote:

Dörr is still very much involved in VLN, just not in GT3 any more. They didn't want to race with McLaren any more after the MP4-12C fiasco. Or as they so kindly put it: "We first want to see how the 650S GT3 is doing in other championships".

They're also racing in Lamborghini Super Trofeo.

There's something very cool coming up later this year, but I promised to keep my mouth shut
Old 1 Jun 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3646396)   #292
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I imagine it has more to do with the man in red not believing his car potentially might not be given fair treatment. Just my unfounded opinion.
Or the car won't last 24 hours.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 20:25 (Ref:3646423)   #293
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What was the issue for the RJN Nissan? They report to have run the race untroubled, yet their factory-supported squad and driver line-up replete with Nissan's best GT drivers finished 5 laps down in 11th place. They were 15+ seconds off the pace of the front-runners, which is equivalent to being 3-4 seconds off the pace and losing a lap every hour on a typical 3-4 mile track. That's simply unacceptable for a factory-supported team with a strong driver line-up. Is it simply unfavourable BoP or is RJN unable to extract performance from their car?
Old 1 Jun 2016, 20:35 (Ref:3646426)   #294
blankfile
Racer

blankfile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the nissan was just really slow in the corners, but quite good on the straights. lack of downforce perhaps?
Old 1 Jun 2016, 20:54 (Ref:3646430)   #295
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Poor BoP tbh. Car that won races last year is suddenly miles off the pace.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 21:24 (Ref:3646433)   #296
rubberduck
Rookie

Germany
Nordschleife - related
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Which races? At the Ring none.
After going airborne in VLN1 did they Return at all?
Old 2 Jun 2016, 01:51 (Ref:3646465)   #297
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
Which races? At the Ring none.
After going airborne in VLN1 did they Return at all?
They won Bathurst 12 hours and Paul Ricard Blancpain. The Nissan has always been quick in a straight line but slow in the corners.
Old 2 Jun 2016, 05:20 (Ref:3646480)   #298
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I have to agree...and not only for the car that won the race last year.
Great race, but it could have been miles better if BoP had been properly sorted.
Old 2 Jun 2016, 08:03 (Ref:3646505)   #299
rubberduck
Rookie

Germany
Nordschleife - related
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
They won Bathurst 12 hours and Paul Ricard Blancpain.
Okay, but as long as the ADAC BoPs for it's own sake that doesn't count, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
The Nissan has always been quick in a straight line but slow in the corners.
The Audis were clearly quick as well at the Döttinger Höhe, that just wasn't the race winnig factor as it seems.
Old 2 Jun 2016, 10:04 (Ref:3646527)   #300
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Finally got done with my report of the race. Also includes photos and interviews: http://www.gt-report.com/2016/06/02/in-a-heartbeat/ Hope y'all like it!

Oh and regarding the BoP, Frikadelli has also been crying again. It's getting a bit old.