Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 29 Sep 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1723176)   #1
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indycar Silly Season

So...where's everyone going next year?

AGR with 4 cars still?
Rahal with 3 cars still?
Chip Ganassi with 2?

What have we all heard?
Old 29 Sep 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1723251)   #2
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ganassi will still have 2, that has been confirmed since both drivers are still under long term contract and will be driving with JPM at the Rolex 24 in January.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1723358)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seem to recall that Michael Andretti mentioned - in conjuction with the unveiling of Patrick's car - that AGR plans to field four cars again next year.

As for Rahal, weren't there some rumours earlier that they might be scaling down to a single car since the funding is in place for Simmons in the Ethanol-ride while sponsorship for the two other cars is a bit more iffy?

Penske, with Hornish and Castroneves, should, on the other hand, be safe for next year, right (especially since Penske played a part in reviving Belle Isle)?
Old 2 Oct 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1725383)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
Ganassi will still have 2, that has been confirmed since both drivers are still under long term contract and will be driving with JPM at the Rolex 24 in January.
Slightly off topic but are you saying that Dixon, Wheldon and JPM will be driving the same car?!!!!

As the IRL co-commentator (Gerald/Rice?) likes to say: 'UNBERLIEVABLE!!!!'

That'll go down as the greatest endurance team line up in history surely!!
Old 3 Oct 2006, 01:56 (Ref:1725848)   #5
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Prediction: Ganassi car will win Rolex 24hr. Or break down.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1732948)   #6
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know who is Tomas Scheckter be driving for next year?
Old 9 Oct 2006, 23:23 (Ref:1733474)   #7
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Vision Racing mate.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 00:31 (Ref:1733510)   #8
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the moment the series isn't looking too strong. Andretti will probably run 4 cars though it's still possible it may be scaled down to 3, Ganassi will certainly run 2, Penske will probably run 2, Rahal will almost certainly run only 1 as Argent went with Danica to Andretti leaving just Pioneer & Ethanol.....which is still a bit iffy about whether it wants to sponsor Rahal next year. Vision will predictably run 2 & Panther will run 1 with a possibility of 2 if funds allow. Foyt will probably just run 1 car, Fernandez may not return whilst Hemelgarn, Dreyer & Reinbold etc are all out at the moment for next year & Tony George can't afford to run every car on the grid for a whole year.

This gives us a grand total of 13, possibly 12, possibly 14. Not great is it..........?

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 10 Oct 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1734398)   #9
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
At the moment the series isn't looking too strong. Andretti will probably run 4 cars though it's still possible it may be scaled down to 3, Ganassi will certainly run 2, Penske will probably run 2, Rahal will almost certainly run only 1 as Argent went with Danica to Andretti leaving just Pioneer & Ethanol.....which is still a bit iffy about whether it wants to sponsor Rahal next year. Vision will predictably run 2 & Panther will run 1 with a possibility of 2 if funds allow. Foyt will probably just run 1 car, Fernandez may not return whilst Hemelgarn, Dreyer & Reinbold etc are all out at the moment for next year & Tony George can't afford to run every car on the grid for a whole year.

This gives us a grand total of 13, possibly 12, possibly 14. Not great is it..........?
Yes it's not great at all -- This is something I've been concerned about for awhile -- I don't know how the contracts with tracks/promoters are written but the number of 18 minimum cars is bantered about a quite a bit --- and if this applies to the IRL for next season on most tracks -- I would think there's a chance we may not have a season next year at all {not including the 500 of course} -- on the other hand, why aren't the IRL teams scrambling to Champ Car if there's a real reason for concern -- that may be an indication that there are going to be enough cars for next year.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 14:10 (Ref:1735234)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As ChampCar has a brand new car next year, teams have plenty of tiem to order them if the need arises. Nothing will be delivered to anybody until next month, and any order placed in early 2007 should get a car in time to test before the season opener.

ChampCar has much more chance of atrracting new teams for next year than IRL, so getting beyond 15 cars will probably require some support funding. Running a reduced schedule, or encouraging strong ChampCar teams to run non-clashing races, might be the only way to keep the series alive, which is a shame as ChampCar is now ovalless and the 2006 IRL title battle was a humdinger.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 21:17 (Ref:1736619)   #11
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the #55 is definitely coming back because of the Panasonic money
the #15 tested at Iowa last week, so it is likely coming back as well and ethanol is under contract to sponsor the #17
Roth (#25) is going to run all the ovals
Dreyer & Reinbold and Sarah Fisher for at least the ovals next year is close to a done deal
Old 13 Oct 2006, 01:29 (Ref:1736722)   #12
D70s
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver
D70s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed Channel reported today that Scott Sharp and all that sponsorship have apparently signed to drive for Rahal/Letterman in 2007. Makes sense, keeps the team with two cars and doesn't stretch Ganassi. Wonder how well they will go together.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1736918)   #13
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it leaves Rice without a seat...
Old 13 Oct 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1737017)   #14
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So what ?
Old 13 Oct 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1737156)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hasn't Rice been more or less out of his current ride for a while now? Some articles and interviews I've read has hinted at that several times.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 16:09 (Ref:1737305)   #16
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K
So what ?
So? Well he is one of the few us drivers who has one Indy, still a top driver and it would be a waste of talent if he didn't get a ride, enogh of chatting from me today, now I'll go get drunk, have a good friday!!!
Old 13 Oct 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1737348)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes rahal told him publicly to start looking for another job.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1742346)   #18
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ok

here goes,

apart from the obvious teams, Fernandez will run at least one car, Sharp has cash behind him and will find a seat EITHER with Rahal or Panther, most likley Rahal, Ethanol will continue to sponsor another Rahal car, looks like a two car team for them, Rice is out the picture

DRR should return and so should Roth, Panther will run Meira and maybe a second car, a good source in the states tells me that Foyt is strongly looking at a second car

Playa Del Racing is still looking at entering a car aswell

Vision might run three cars, with Bell driving the third
Old 20 Oct 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1743137)   #19
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure Rice will land another ride. He hasn't had the results the last couple seasons that he had in 2004. Eighty-percent of it is due to his team. They focued on Patrick in 2005 and this season they didn't have the engine advantage which took away their edge. But there is still some question of his effort, and his performance is going to hurt him from the potential employer standpoint. It seems like most of the other teams are looking for drivers that have sponsors with them or are inexperienced and cost less and that will hurt him as well.

I hope he gets a ride and it might end up that he will. But I'm not sure he will end up with a front running team.

J.D.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1743279)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloopy
I'm not sure Rice will land another ride. He hasn't had the results the last couple seasons that he had in 2004. Eighty-percent of it is due to his team. They focued on Patrick in 2005 and this season they didn't have the engine advantage which took away their edge. But there is still some question of his effort, and his performance is going to hurt him from the potential employer standpoint. It seems like most of the other teams are looking for drivers that have sponsors with them or are inexperienced and cost less and that will hurt him as well.

I hope he gets a ride and it might end up that he will. But I'm not sure he will end up with a front running team.

J.D.
I think NASTRUCK is his future.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1743331)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll wait until people announce and confirm exactly who will race for whom....

I'd like to see Fernandez remain...but there was a rumor in another thread that they might not be running in IRL next season, and may just focus on the ALMS Acura program next season...and Matsuura would take his sponsor elsewhere

Who knows???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Oct 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1743575)   #22
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
according to indycar.com

DRR have annouced a new sponsor

this would indicate they intend to return in 07

good news!
Old 20 Oct 2006, 21:22 (Ref:1743582)   #23
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
I'll wait until people announce and confirm exactly who will race for whom....

I'd like to see Fernandez remain...but there was a rumor in another thread that they might not be running in IRL next season, and may just focus on the ALMS Acura program next season...and Matsuura would take his sponsor elsewhere

Who knows???
i heard something like that but I expect Fernandez to be back with at least one car

there was also a rumour that Adrian is looking at putting a Mexican in the other car, if he can find the backing
Old 25 Oct 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1749089)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wheldon is chasing a deal with Spyker to be in F1 next year.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 01:10 (Ref:1749504)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
There was a juicy rumor from another forum the source being a fernandez team member, that the irl team has shut and everyone laid off except for 10 people to work on the ALMS deal. We'll see if this pans out.