Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 23 Mar 2017, 19:43 (Ref:3720964)   #1301
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Sebring was the first time I was interested in the Lites race while not at the track. I was genuinely interested to see the P3's and how they would mix it up with the Lites cars. Sebring provided me with enough interest that I will continue to follow this series for the rest of the season.
Wait, I thought you watched every minute moment of Mazda lites? You lived for it!

It was kinda odd seeing them mixed in with the new P3s. Can break later and get through the corners quicker, but I don't think that will last, once the talent and cars get more sorted.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3720973)   #1302
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Wait, I thought you watched every minute moment of Mazda lites? You lived for it!
Nah, he was down for Lites II .... the sound of motorcycle engines setting his teeth on edge while the cars streaked past faster than pedestrians .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
It was kinda odd seeing them mixed in with the new P3s. Can break later and get through the corners quicker, but I don't think that will last, once the talent and cars get more sorted.
Yup. Couple races and even the best Elan drivers will be left back.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3720990)   #1303
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Nah, he was down for Lites II .... the sound of motorcycle engines setting his teeth on edge while the cars streaked past faster than pedestrians .....
Ha! Very first time I saw the 4 rotary in the ALMS, the comment was "how can something so loud be so slow?"
Old 23 Mar 2017, 21:50 (Ref:3720994)   #1304
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like CN cars and i do believe there is interest in them. If IMSA dosnt want them thats fine but i hope someone builts a pro series out of them.

If you combine p3 with GT4, you basically recreated Grand-Am. Which is fine because i like the old series. I didnt think it should have be a top series like ALMS but as a privateer oriented series it was fun.

Conti should just use scca t2 homebuilt cars for gs.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 22:08 (Ref:3721000)   #1305
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
That was my point. You(and Joeb) may be interested because of this, but the two of you alone don't exactly move the needle, you know? There'd need to be quite a lot of people like you to make an audience size difference, and that's going to matter when it comes to IMSA's bottom line eventually. Sportscar racing is super volatile, even in the feeder series.

Maybe so, but either way it's unfair to judge it on one race weekend into the season. Most spectators won't have known what P3 was before Sebring, so it needs a fair chance to show it's worth.

Remember this is also the first time outside of the road to Le Mans race last year that P3 has been the top dog, and also in sprint format
Old 23 Mar 2017, 22:17 (Ref:3721003)   #1306
kevlow
Rookie

kevlow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
I like CN cars and i do believe there is interest in them. If IMSA dosnt want them thats fine but i hope someone builts a pro series out of them.

If you combine p3 with GT4, you basically recreated Grand-Am. Which is fine because i like the old series. I didnt think it should have be a top series like ALMS but as a privateer oriented series it was fun.

Conti should just use scca t2 homebuilt cars for gs.
Currently CN, P3, DP, and now G57s race in the FARA series. They have two P classes. This year Hankook is getting behind them and supporting the two P classes and the top two GT classes. This year, maybe this next race, they go to a live video stream broadcast. Last year Sebring was added to the Homestead based series. This year Daytona. Next year Road Atlanta. The idea will be developing in NorthAmerica a Creventic/Hankook like series.

I am pretty enthused because all the races are four hours [last race of year is 12 hours] and they are very much fun events with lots of fans and atmosphere. There is plans to have a P3 series running in some of the events and independent at others. I know the idea is to have the CN cars as a part of that as well.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 00:14 (Ref:3721021)   #1307
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlow View Post
Currently CN, P3, DP, and now G57s race in the FARA series. This year, maybe this next race, they go to a live video stream broadcast. Last year Sebring was added to the Homestead based series. This year Daytona. Next year Road Atlanta. The idea will be developing in NorthAmerica a Creventic/Hankook like series..
Well, until they get all that, and start promoting it, it is just nice dreams and friends of the teams.

i'd love to see more prototype racing in the U.S. but club series which no one hears about 'til later are the trees falling in the forest .... useful only if pulled out and burned.

Have the organizers of the series thought of renting I don't know ... HSR's email list? Doing Anything to get the word out?

Also, nowadays, if it ain't streaming it ain't happening ... I might see the season opener, but what, am I going to read race reports for the rest of the year and stay excited?

As opposed to, can I actually watch the races not in my geographical area?

I will travel a ways to see a top-tier series, but I am not taking time off work, paying for gas and hotels and food, and tickets, to watch two amateurs in P3s break down frequently amidst a field of under-performing B- and C-sports racers left over from the 2007 Runoffs.

On the other hand, if I have been watching the series online all year, I might be interested enough to take a road trip out-and-back to a race nearby ...

Look at Miata racing (MX-5.) The competition is always tight, the drivers always go for it ... but the spectacle could not be more underwhelming.

Unless I have a pretty strong interest in some of the drivers--say, having watched them all season and followed their successes and failures---then it is hard to care a whole lot about slow cars going slowly.

I hope the new series can take it up a notch---and of course, even if it can't, it is fine for its own purposes---but if it can get up to the next level where people can follow it and develop an attraction to it ... Like I said, I would love to see more prototype racing in the U.S.

And as to CN vs P3---who cares? If the cars look and sound good and move quickly, who cares which letters and numbers are attached?

Shoot, there is nothing wrong with LMPC cars either, so long as they aren't A.) in a spec series or B.) in a real series.

They are good-looking cars, loud and quick .... and add a lot to historic races.

So ... CN, P3, PC, whatever ... let 'em race, and let me see them race. Then we have something to talk about.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 05:40 (Ref:3722344)   #1308
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Well, until they get all that, and start promoting it, it is just nice dreams and friends of the teams.

i'd love to see more prototype racing in the U.S. but club series which no one hears about 'til later are the trees falling in the forest .... useful only if pulled out and burned.

Have the organizers of the series thought of renting I don't know ... HSR's email list? Doing Anything to get the word out?

Also, nowadays, if it ain't streaming it ain't happening ... I might see the season opener, but what, am I going to read race reports for the rest of the year and stay excited?

As opposed to, can I actually watch the races not in my geographical area?

I will travel a ways to see a top-tier series, but I am not taking time off work, paying for gas and hotels and food, and tickets, to watch two amateurs in P3s break down frequently amidst a field of under-performing B- and C-sports racers left over from the 2007 Runoffs.

On the other hand, if I have been watching the series online all year, I might be interested enough to take a road trip out-and-back to a race nearby ...

Look at Miata racing (MX-5.) The competition is always tight, the drivers always go for it ... but the spectacle could not be more underwhelming.

Unless I have a pretty strong interest in some of the drivers--say, having watched them all season and followed their successes and failures---then it is hard to care a whole lot about slow cars going slowly.

I hope the new series can take it up a notch---and of course, even if it can't, it is fine for its own purposes---but if it can get up to the next level where people can follow it and develop an attraction to it ... Like I said, I would love to see more prototype racing in the U.S.

And as to CN vs P3---who cares? If the cars look and sound good and move quickly, who cares which letters and numbers are attached?

Shoot, there is nothing wrong with LMPC cars either, so long as they aren't A.) in a spec series or B.) in a real series.

They are good-looking cars, loud and quick .... and add a lot to historic races.

So ... CN, P3, PC, whatever ... let 'em race, and let me see them race. Then we have something to talk about.
I see there is a Monza LMP 3 wrap up on Dailysportscar. No mention of the Murphy Riley - where is it? Did it ever exist ?!
Old 29 Mar 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3722365)   #1309
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
I see there is a Monza LMP 3 wrap up on Dailysportscar. No mention of the Murphy Riley - where is it? Did it ever exist ?!

The Riley is active in the states

Murphys partnership is no longer active
Old 29 Mar 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3722495)   #1310
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Some more LMP3 action for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Ql78Vynck

And since it's up, I'll also leave this for anyone who might still be curious despite how annoying I've been about this class: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVePAuyZ9N4
Old 29 Mar 2017, 21:05 (Ref:3722497)   #1311
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
man, CN cars look so "club."

P3 at least looks like it could be in a professional championship.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 22:45 (Ref:3722505)   #1312
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing I recall from CN in the recent Asian le mans series were certain red flags from breakdowns. A collective sigh of relief through the pits when they didn't compete in sepang. Perhaps they succeed a little more elsewhere.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 00:04 (Ref:3722518)   #1313
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
The only thing I recall from CN in the recent Asian le mans series were certain red flags from breakdowns. A collective sigh of relief through the pits when they didn't compete in sepang. Perhaps they succeed a little more elsewhere.
They succeed a LOT elsewhere.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 00:30 (Ref:3722525)   #1314
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They succeed a LOT elsewhere.
Hillclimb mostly.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 30 Mar 2017, 00:31 (Ref:3722526)   #1315
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Hillclimb mostly.
Of course. That's what the class was originally designed for. (even though most examples you see in hillclimbs aren't actually CN cars by the set rules)

But they succeed in nearly every road racing championship they're introduced to as well.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 00:50 (Ref:3722528)   #1316
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Of course. That's what the class was originally designed for. (even though most examples you see in hillclimbs aren't actually CN cars by the set rules)

But they succeed in nearly every club level road racing championship they're introduced to as well.
FTFY.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 30 Mar 2017, 01:56 (Ref:3722531)   #1317
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
FTFY.
VdeV's no top flight championship, but if it's club level then I'm Ross Brawn.

(and even if you were right, that still makes it an ideal class for the purpose in which I'd like to see it running)

Last edited by FormulaFox; 30 Mar 2017 at 02:13.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 14:42 (Ref:3722805)   #1318
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
First P3 roll?
https://twitter.com/Zfgrell/status/847001415440588802
Old 31 Mar 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3722822)   #1319
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yep. Broken suspension.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3722856)   #1320
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
First real world test of P3 rollover safety passed. Good on the car design that it was something barely classifiable as a "roll" as well. Even better that driver walked away.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3722870)   #1321
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
holy crap, that was one heck of an impact. glad the driver is ok
Old 1 Apr 2017, 12:23 (Ref:3723012)   #1322
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not as violent as some P1 flips we have seen
Old 4 Apr 2017, 01:39 (Ref:3723612)   #1323
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fin works
Old 4 Apr 2017, 03:54 (Ref:3723625)   #1324
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And the roof.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3724445)   #1325
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Prototype Challenge TV broadcast uploaded to IMSA Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXBn_WFZ6W4