Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Oct 2019, 17:47 (Ref:3937370)   #176
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Eh..its LMP2. Running alongside DPI as one category is fine like in 2018. But a class of its own. Scared it will be like LMPC. A secondary pro-am prototype category is not really needed in IMSA. Does not bring me in that's for sure. DPI, GTLM, and GTD is just fine. At least they are there only for 7 races of the 12. GTLM won't have to worry about them for Long Beach, CTMP, VIR, and Lime Rock.
Suit yourself. The more, the merrier works for me. And the current P2 cars are awesome to see live on track, I rather do with them than without. I would add P3 cars to the big show as well for the same reason but understand the challenges that come with such a move will prevent it from happening.
Old 28 Oct 2019, 18:09 (Ref:3937375)   #177
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Eh..its LMP2. Running alongside DPI as one category is fine like in 2018. But a class of its own. Scared it will be like LMPC. A secondary pro-am prototype category is not really needed in IMSA. Does not bring me in that's for sure. DPI, GTLM, and GTD is just fine. At least they are there only for 7 races of the 12. GTLM won't have to worry about them for Long Beach, CTMP, VIR, and Lime Rock.

On a unrelated note, just a thought. If there is a worry for the VIR all-GT race grid to be under 20 cars for the 2020 season, then maybe the GS class from the Pilot Challenge could be added for that one race only? 16-18 cars for Lime Rock is fine due to the small track size, but at VIR it starts to look empty when you get sub-20 like in 2018.
I doubt they would add GT4, they are markedly slower than GTD. I think you'd get into some bad force passes and on track squabbles we don't really need. Especially when they have often run GT-only events yellow free. I think there was some talk about bringing the GT3s and 4s together for SRO America and the paddock was adamantly against it.

At least the 2 added LMP2 teams do add some value and decent history. I'm still doubting we'll see Ware racing on track, especially with multiple chassis between Asian LMS and IMSA. Seems like a lot of growth all at once and no announced drivers. I'm willing to give Dragonspeed a bit and a team they're supporting as well. But a new team without current IMSA ties? Maybe not so much
Old 29 Oct 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3937523)   #178
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Suit yourself. The more, the merrier works for me. And the current P2 cars are awesome to see live on track, I rather do with them than without. I would add P3 cars to the big show as well for the same reason but understand the challenges that come with such a move will prevent it from happening.

What challenges are they?
They run P3 cars quite happily in the ELMS 4 hour races, longer than IMSA. So I don't understand there can be any challenges. Other than the P3 entrants don't want to do that?
Old 29 Oct 2019, 19:39 (Ref:3937528)   #179
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
[/B]

What challenges are they?
They run P3 cars quite happily in the ELMS 4 hour races, longer than IMSA. So I don't understand there can be any challenges. Other than the P3 entrants don't want to do that?
Lap times. ELMS has GTE and LMP3. GTE-Am is a bit slower than the monster GTLM teams IMSA has, but that would put LMP3s on the tail, or in the mix with GTDs. They'd potentially have to slow down the LMP3s to maintain the class gap.

Then you add in the fact it's just more cars, and IMSA yellows keep cars bunched more than a FCY, and you've got a recipe for LMP3s and GTDs falling over each other.
Old 30 Oct 2019, 01:58 (Ref:3937562)   #180
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Lap times. ELMS has GTE and LMP3. GTE-Am is a bit slower than the monster GTLM teams IMSA has, but that would put LMP3s on the tail, or in the mix with GTDs. They'd potentially have to slow down the LMP3s to maintain the class gap.

Then you add in the fact it's just more cars, and IMSA yellows keep cars bunched more than a FCY, and you've got a recipe for LMP3s and GTDs falling over each other.
2019 showed that imsa class structure is fine. We had record amounts of green flag running. Want to keep that going.
Old 30 Oct 2019, 12:31 (Ref:3937630)   #181
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
2019 showed that imsa class structure is fine. We had record amounts of green flag running. Want to keep that going.
I tend to agree, I love DPI for its racing (i know, I know, spec chassis we get it), and having a few more P2s as the AM class would be great.

The balance really I think is in what happens with car counts in GTLM and GTD
Old 30 Oct 2019, 12:47 (Ref:3937631)   #182
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I like the P2 cars as well. This past year the teams were able to give some young drivers prototype experience that they wouldn't have had otherwise. Plus they sound great!
Old 30 Oct 2019, 17:50 (Ref:3937689)   #183
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like someone could get a cheap Silver IF he's not promoted to Gold, Matt McMurry is joining MSR for 2020 replacing Trent Hindman. It would suck for him to be made Gold and limit his racing like Madison Snow last year.

The article also says the second MSR Caterpillar car is not yet confirmed for 2020.
Old 11 Nov 2019, 21:36 (Ref:3940035)   #184
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Joest will be leaving Mazda's DPI program following Sebring next March. It seems that Multimatic Motorsports will likely take the lead in the program, and that Joest and Mazda management didn't see eye to eye over various details, which may be why Joest is leaving the arrangement following the expiration of the contract following Sebring.

This according to SC365, so take it as you want.

Article also shuts down rumors of Brad Kettler succeeding John Doonan as manager of motorsports for Mazda North America.
Old 11 Nov 2019, 22:54 (Ref:3940055)   #185
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Are any of us surprised? I hadn't seen many Joest personnel trackside in a while and everyone has been talking Multimatic not Joest all season. I'm sure Joest wanted nothing to do with the team if they're a footnote anyway so why bother to push to renew the contract, especially if Mazda wasn't interested either.
Old 11 Nov 2019, 23:14 (Ref:3940059)   #186
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Yeah, I've heard those reports and rumors, too. I'd argue that Multimatic have been just as responsible as Joest for the turn around that Mazda has had. You have to remember that most of what screwed up the program was Speedsource losing their way and Riley having too much involvment with the original engineering of the Riley DPI/LMP2 chassis that the Mazda DPI uses as its basis.

Even though Multimatic was involved with the car from the start, Riley didn't even use Multimatic shocks on the car, and in some ways the Ford GT road and GTE/GTLM cars (all built by Multimatic and jointly designed by Ford Performance and Multimatic) were more advanced in chassis and suspension design.

Only when Multimatic took the lead in development and Joest and Multimatic took over as the team running the car did Mazda's fortunes significantly improve. And we do have to remember, too, that Multimatic had a big role in both the IMSA and WEC Ganassi Ford GT programs and are helping run the AMR Valkyrie LMP1 hypercar program.

Last edited by chernaudi; 11 Nov 2019 at 23:19.
Old 11 Nov 2019, 23:34 (Ref:3940064)   #187
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Nelson Cosgrove (former TRD USA exec) will succeed Doonan at Mazda per SC365.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 01:08 (Ref:3940073)   #188
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My gut is telling me that Joest/Mazda have been arguing about what needs to be done to the car and Joest wasn't able to get it due to Mazda not wanting to spend the money on using a different base chassis. Joest knew it was going to be just about impossible to make the car better as they are using the worst P2 chassis as the base. The engine choice also hasn't helped much but with a chassis change I think they wouldn't have to run the engine on the edge all the time to match the lap times of the other cars.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 17:17 (Ref:3940207)   #189
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Joest turned Mazda int a winning team. They were the laughing stock of the paddock. Now they win races.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 19:28 (Ref:3940231)   #190
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Can't keep Ben Keating away, as I'm sure surprises no one here. Returning to his old seat for the enduro schedule, with Bleekomolen as the 4th at Daytona.
Sounds like we could see him again in 2 cars at Daytona. And of all the drivers making claims in history, I'd take his as being the most honest and likely. Would not all be surprised to see him in a LMP2 car for the race as well.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 20:09 (Ref:3940243)   #191
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
My gut is telling me that Joest/Mazda have been arguing about what needs to be done to the car and Joest wasn't able to get it due to Mazda not wanting to spend the money on using a different base chassis. Joest knew it was going to be just about impossible to make the car better as they are using the worst P2 chassis as the base. The engine choice also hasn't helped much but with a chassis change I think they wouldn't have to run the engine on the edge all the time to match the lap times of the other cars.
Quote:
Joest turned Mazda int a winning team. They were the laughing stock of the paddock. Now they win races.
It sounds like the opposite is true, Joest couldn't improve the car either and Multimatic made the car the winner it is now. Multimatic engineered both cars this season and did off season tear down, sims and testing in Canada without Joest.

“If there’s any golden nugget in any of our success, it’s Multimatic and the engineering support, the investment they’ve made, the simulation, the vehicle dynamics, the testing,” Doonan said. “They’ve just crushed it out of the park in terms of helping this program be successful. In looking at Monterey, throughout the year last year, we had those oh-so-close moments, and the more we’ve involved ourselves with Multimatic, the more success we continue to have.”
Old 12 Nov 2019, 20:12 (Ref:3940244)   #192
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
But Multimatic were involved in the original car too. If it was all Multimatic, then why wasn't it done properly until Joest came along? Did it take someone good to highlight it?

It's just weird. The car was no where, except close to a fire extinguisher. It made literally no improvements until Joest took over. I've no doubt Mutlimatic played a part in it, but man, I think Joests part in turning that dumpster fire of a project around shouldn't be underplayed.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 20:16 (Ref:3940246)   #193
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
But Multimatic were involved in the original car too. If it was all Multimatic, then why wasn't it done properly until Joest came along? Did it take someone good to highlight it?

It's just weird. The car was no where, except close to a fire extinguisher. It made literally no improvements until Joest took over. I've no doubt Mutlimatic played a part in it, but man, I think Joests part in turning that dumpster fire of a project around shouldn't be underplayed.
Multimatic bought the group, they were not the developers of the Riley chassis from the start. So no, they weren't involved in the original design
Old 12 Nov 2019, 20:44 (Ref:3940249)   #194
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
That wasn't my understanding of it. Multimatic did chassis, aero and bodywork. Riley did mechanicals. Mazda did explody things.

https://racer.com/2017/01/24/imsa-20...timatic-mk-30/

I'll be honest, I tend not to be that impressed with any major projects Multimatic run. The Ford GT is obviously the best, but Ganassi has heavy involvement, and it's from a Ford factory car.

I hope to god this doesn't have a negative effect on Mazda, otherwise we risk losing the IMSA DPi class to the same mess that WEC is in. We need 3 strong manufacturers.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 21:16 (Ref:3940260)   #195
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
To be fair, Joest had most of their success the past few years with Audi Sport. And Audi Sport often took a no expenses spared effort with Joest, or Champion or anyone else they valued as a factory or quasi-factory team.

Joest has been a great team, but they can't work miracles all the time. Champion became the superior team in the ALMS in late '03, and Audi of America and Audi Sport officials said that as good as Joest was, Champion was even better.

Also, it should be noted that the original Mazda DPI was heavily influenced by Bill Riley and Riley Technologies, who hadn't designed a successful full carbon tubbed car since Bill's father Bob designed the Intrepid GTP for Pratt & Miller in the early 1990s. The Cadillac LMP cars were failures until Nigel Stroud was brought in, and the situation repeated itself here. Hell, the Mazda DPI didn't even run Multimatic shocks on it until Joest and Multimatic got more involved in the program.

Basically, both Joest and Multimatic had to fix Riley's screw ups. Joest undoubtedly helped sort out the car, but let's be realistic here. Joest is good at managing races at the race track, but they're not an engineering firm.

From what I'm gathering, Joest may've wanted Mazda to switch to a different tub, like an Oreca or Ligier, anything other than the Riley tub. Mazda, who in partnership with Multimatic, didn't want to because of the investment already made to try and fix the Riley-based Mazda DPI.

Rather or not that's true, or Joest felt that Multimatic muscled them out of the fold, fact is that Joest is leaving the Mazda effort following Sebring.

Also of interest is that John Dagys at SC365 wrote an article about this saying that Joest and Mazda Motorsports are splitting up. Marshall Pruett at Racer Magazine wrote and article with the same exact info in it, but says that Joest and Mazda's partnership is continuing.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 21:27 (Ref:3940261)   #196
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Quote:
That wasn't my understanding of it. Multimatic did chassis, aero and bodywork. Riley did mechanicals. Mazda did explody things.

https://racer.com/2017/01/24/imsa-20...timatic-mk-30/

I'll be honest, I tend not to be that impressed with any major projects Multimatic run. The Ford GT is obviously the best, but Ganassi has heavy involvement, and it's from a Ford factory car.

I hope to god this doesn't have a negative effect on Mazda, otherwise we risk losing the IMSA DPi class to the same mess that WEC is in. We need 3 strong manufacturers.
From what I've read, everything wrong with the Mazda DPI and the Riley LMP3 car came from the hand of Bill Riley. Riley Tech hadn't designed a successful carbon tubbed car since the Pratt & Miller Intrepid GTP.

And Mulitmatic being involved with the Ford GT as a factory program with Ford, a company that Multimatic has had a relationship with for many year?. How's that different from Joest being involved with Audi as a factory program from 1999-2003 and again from 2006-16? Also, Multimatic also built the Ford GT road and race cars. And Ganassi? Cheap Ganbleep was basically a figurehead as far as running the team a lot of the time IMO based on what I've seen. Outside of Daytona, was he even at any of the races? Not to mention that he runs Chevrolets in NASCAR and Chevy engines in Indy Car. That's not to say that there was a balance between Multimatic and Ganassi personnel, but it was what Mazda probably hoped would work out for them. Just as it seems that Mazda hoped that Joest would handle the team matters and strategy and tactics at the track and Multimatic would handle the engineering side of things, Ganassi and Multimatic did the same with the IMSA and WEC programs, with the WEC program def. being mostly a Multimatic deal.

As I previously posted, Joest is a great team, but they're the masters of managing and calling races at the track. The days of Joest as a privateer being able to work magic on factory developed machinery have been long gone, and were gone since 1998 when he signed on with Audi Sport. Joest probably had great input on what would become the Audi R8, but even Audi Sport already had quite a few ideas up their sleeve.

Joest hasn't been a great engineering firm for racing in years. Granted, it can be argued that Audi Sport took that away or Joest no longer had to worry about it. But expecting them to polish Riley's turd, as good as they are as a team, without Multimatic's engineering help, is a bit ludicrous.

Not wanting to start an argument with you, just calling things that way I've seen it work out from what I've seen as a fan and follower of the sport.

Last edited by chernaudi; 12 Nov 2019 at 21:32.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 07:37 (Ref:3940320)   #197
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I also just read an article that Marshall Pruett posted on Racer Mag's website about the upcoming Joest and Mazda split. And reading between the lines, Pruett seems to suggest that just like SpeedSource, Joest ended up maybe biting off more than they could chew without help.

The article, though without directly saying so, seems to also somewhat back what I've read some people on social media have been saying about Mazda Motorsport, which is that certainly in recent years that Mazda Motorsport has been a weird company to work for that has made some confounding decisions.

Marshall seems to hint, at least from his POV, that both Joest and Mazda have blood on their hands for the problems that both organizations had in 2018 and seem to hint that both needed Multimatic to get involved to right the ship.

Thus, one can argue that Joest may've been pushed out of the fold to a large degree, hence their decision to leave. But Pruett said that even though both Joest and Mazda wanted out at the end of the 2018 IMSA season, they tried to keep the relationship going in hopes of improvement, as well as Mazda not wanting to lose face.

As for Joest, I don't hold them to be 100% blameless for this. IMO, they did bite off a bit more than they could chew. Dealing with Mazda wasn't like dealing with Audi Sport. Audi had tons more money and engineering/R&D resources for their racing programs than Mazda does. When something went wrong at Audi, usually Audi Sport were able to quickly ID and sort out the issue. Instead, Mazda tended to make strange decisions and tended to foster a tale of break crap, break crap and break crap and, relative to Audi, took forever to fully address an issue.

Not to mention that Joest had been out of major racing for nearly a year when they seriously started to work with Mazda. You'd think that wouldn't have effected Joest that bad, considering that they have been doing this since my parents were teenagers. But in the modern world, being away for a year may as well be almost an eternity.

I think that Mazda being slow to own up to their own deficiencies, and Joest getting a huge culture shock when going from Audi to Mazda and the differing philosophies and cultures there, and just being out of the loop were the biggest problems in that relationship.

Mind you, I don't even think that things were 100% rosy with Audi and Joest the last couple of years of the LMP1 program. Not so much a relationship deterioration, but the arrival of Porsche (and having two VAG companies directly competing against each other in LMP1) and Audi and Joest coming to terms with new gen rules and new gen tech started to push things, especially for Joest, to the limit of what they could give.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 14:52 (Ref:3941635)   #198
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dragonspeed confirm their full season entry with Hedman and Hanley in their Oreca:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/1...sa-season.html

Plus they will do Daytona. Good to see more entries confirmed for P2. The reduced schedule (and budget) seems to be attracting the am drivers.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 15:30 (Ref:3941639)   #199
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Dragonspeed confirm their full season entry with Hedman and Hanley in their Oreca:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/1...sa-season.html

Plus they will do Daytona. Good to see more entries confirmed for P2. The reduced schedule (and budget) seems to be attracting the am drivers.
Plus the Bronze driver requirement. Which will also cause more mayhem but by then the entry fees have been collected by IMSA!
Old 19 Nov 2019, 23:02 (Ref:3941691)   #200
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Christina Nielsen and Katherine Legge will share a GEAR Racing bannered Lamborghini run by Grasser