Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 13 May 2006, 23:17 (Ref:1609082)   #201
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ted,

No , I haven't seen it myself, but is reported as AM 72-7, and given the age of the information and source , would have no reason to not accept the numbers.

Could this have something to do with Bernie E. owning Brabhams at this point and running the company in a different style to Ron , doing deals to clear surplus stock etc before the new Geoff Ferris BT38's came on stream, you know the new broom scenario.

Bryan.
Old 14 May 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1609660)   #202
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bryan's own BT35-8; pictures taken today! (Looks great, Bryan!)

Old 16 May 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1611971)   #203
Bryan Miller
Veteran

BT35-43 is for sale on www.racecarsdirect.com ,as the ex Nick Overall car ex Bob Gerrard.
Bryan.
Old 24 May 2006, 10:14 (Ref:1617759)   #204
IANHEB
Racer

IANHEB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe 35-47 required a replacement chassis from Arch during 1972.With 49 cars built I would have thought that there would have been some demand .
Ian
Old 24 May 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1617764)   #205
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That sounds very plausible Ian.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1637767)   #206
Bob Slusher
Rookie

Canada
Portland, Oregon
Bob Slusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct Smiths gauge type

I am attempting to identify the correct types and values for the Smiths gauges for the BT 35/B. Supplied with the car were the rev counter to 8k and a single water temp gauge in Celsius. I am guessing that the missing dual pattern gauge is oil pressure and oil temperature though I can find no reference to that combination on any Smiths www site.

I have found a dandy oil pressure/ water temp in Celsius that would do nicely allowing the replacement of the single gauge with a oil temp. But, what is correct for the dash?

Peace,

Bob Slusher
Old 22 Jun 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1638877)   #207
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bob,
In period I believe that Smiths did make an oil/temp/pressure guage for racing cars , you will have to use the dual guage you have found and use the water temp for oil temp instead , it can't bother the guage , temperature is temperature .

Tachometer , 8000rpm, depends what engine and specification of said engine , anything with a BDD/E/F/G series would need at least a 10,000rpm unit. Even a good all steel Twin-cam will go well past 8000rpm.

Yes , F. degrees would be period correct , but difficult to find unless you rob an MGB or MG Midget , Spitfire etc.

Bryan.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 09:16 (Ref:1638880)   #208
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Slusher
I am attempting to identify the correct types and values for the Smiths gauges for the BT 35/B. Supplied with the car were the rev counter to 8k and a single water temp gauge in Celsius. I am guessing that the missing dual pattern gauge is oil pressure and oil temperature though I can find no reference to that combination on any Smiths www site.

I have found a dandy oil pressure/ water temp in Celsius that would do nicely allowing the replacement of the single gauge with a oil temp. But, what is correct for the dash?

Peace,

Bob Slusher
Bob, check out a company called Greengauges. They are a British company but have outlets in the USA. They bought the rights to Smiths instruments and do customised gauges so should be able to replicate the one or ones you want.

Old 2 Jul 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1646249)   #209
Bob Slusher
Rookie

Canada
Portland, Oregon
Dash panel wanted. Who replicates the correct dash panel for the BT 35? Or is there perhaps a used unit laying idle for sale?

Many thanks,

Bob Slusher
Old 4 Jul 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1647755)   #210
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon Hadfield Restorations do new dash panels as per original,
Old 4 Jul 2006, 18:58 (Ref:1648242)   #211
Bob Slusher
Rookie

Canada
Portland, Oregon
Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Walker
Simon Hadfield Restorations do new dash panels as per original,
Many thanks for the reply.

I could not find a email contact for them. Any idea how to contact them on the web?

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 4 Jul 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1648386)   #212
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon posted here just a page or two ago. You could email or PM him directly from here.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 06:51 (Ref:1648586)   #213
Ted Walker
Veteran

Bob if you care to E Mail me I will give you his phone No.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 14:07 (Ref:1648900)   #214
Bob Slusher
Rookie

Canada
Portland, Oregon
Body Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Walker
Bob if you care to E Mail me I will give you his phone No.
Many thanks Ted. I found him in the member roster and sent him a PM. Perhaps we can link up that way to share a photo of the unit (s) that he produces. I have seen two styles (flat and raised panel) in various downloaded photos.

How many folks reproduce the various body panels for the 35?

Peace,

bob
Old 5 Jul 2006, 15:16 (Ref:1648944)   #215
Ted Walker
Veteran

BT35 should have a flat dash. Simon also does the bodywork
Old 5 Jul 2006, 22:34 (Ref:1649232)   #216
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bob,

I have moulds for the following,

Nose, front winglets, radiator duct, small side pieces for the radiator air exit [ footwell] , cockpit , windscreen , rear wing [ fibreglass] , seat.

All these were taken off BT30-27 , but are all correct BT 35/6 , if you need I could have them done , but I should think Simon Hadfield in the U.K. or Dave Irwin in the USA have the same. Freight is the biggest problem with body panels.
There are a couple of sizes in front and rear wings , e.g. F3 and F2 / Atlantic and both would have mixed and matched in period , depends what circuit you were at.

Bryan.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 14:28 (Ref:1649665)   #217
Bob Slusher
Rookie

Canada
Portland, Oregon
Thanks

Bryan:

Many thanks again for your help. I have contacted you directly off list.

Peace,

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Miller
Bob,

I have moulds for the following,

Nose, front winglets, radiator duct, small side pieces for the radiator air exit [ footwell] , cockpit , windscreen , rear wing [ fibreglass] , seat.

All these were taken off BT30-27 , but are all correct BT 35/6 , if you need I could have them done , but I should think Simon Hadfield in the U.K. or Dave Irwin in the USA have the same. Freight is the biggest problem with body panels.
There are a couple of sizes in front and rear wings , e.g. F3 and F2 / Atlantic and both would have mixed and matched in period , depends what circuit you were at.

Bryan.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1656288)   #218
Bob Slusher
Rookie

Canada
Portland, Oregon
Body panels

I have come to suspect that MOST of the body panels are shared between several cars including the 29, 30, 35. Other than the side pods and the engine cover are the panels pretty much shared between the cars?

Peace,

bob slusher
Old 15 Jul 2006, 06:16 (Ref:1656670)   #219
Bryan Miller
Veteran

No Bob, 28 29 30 all had slim cockpit , new rules for 1971 meant a new wider cockpit for the BT35 and 36 , rear wing was mounted differently on early cars , but I am yet to discover if the actual size of the wing was different , there certainly seems to have been 2 sizes , perhaps one for F3 and one for F/ATL / F2 , also the front winglets , as there were no moulds in Australia ,well there were ,but they had been lost, I ended up obtaining the dimensions of all the cars front wings in Oz , ended up with 5 different sets of measurements , and then had moulds done from Peter Johnsons BT30-27 wings as these seemed the closest from scaling up photos etc.
BT35 is the odd man out with the steel fuel tanks and needing the front and rear fibreglass sections for aero.
Andrew Fellowes 2 cars have a different eng. cover to mine , his are square at the back , mine tapers in .
Bryan.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 01:03 (Ref:1660426)   #220
Bob Slusher
Rookie

Canada
Portland, Oregon
Thanks

Quote:
No Bob, 28 29 30 all had slim cockpit , new rules for 1971 meant a new wider cockpit for the BT35 and 36 , rear wing was mounted differently on early cars , but I am yet to discover if the actual size of the wing was different , there certainly seems to have been 2 sizes , perhaps one for F3 and one for F/ATL / F2 , also the front winglets , as there were no moulds in Australia ,well there were ,but they had been lost, I ended up obtaining the dimensions of all the cars front wings in Oz , ended up with 5 different sets of measurements , and then had moulds done from Peter Johnsons BT30-27 wings as these seemed the closest from scaling up photos etc.
BT35 is the odd man out with the steel fuel tanks and needing the front and rear fibreglass sections for aero.
Andrew Fellowes 2 cars have a different eng. cover to mine , his are square at the back , mine tapers in .
Bryan.
My thanks for providing clearity.

Bob
Old 20 Jul 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1660610)   #221
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Tamborine Mountain, Qld. Australia
Andrew Fellowes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The photos I have of 1971 show Rondel running two very differnt wings, a large high down force and a small low down force. The latter at Rouen.

Andrew, from an internet cafe in a warm High Street Kensington. (Bryan its 30C, almost like home!)
Old 20 Jul 2006, 09:55 (Ref:1660642)   #222
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Only just got here Andrew? It was 34C yesterday.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 02:54 (Ref:1661162)   #223
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Please stop these frivolous plesantries otherwise the '' Headmaster '' will complain.

30 degrees , all the poms will be melting all over the place.

14 degrees here today . Wish I was there.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1661300)   #224
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed I will! I'm a pom and loving it; but I refuse to wear my mortar board and gown in this weather! Might have to remove the last few posts, though, for lack of relevance!
Old 23 Jul 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1662643)   #225
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
14 degrees here today . Wish I was there.
I wish I was there! 24 Degrees in Cardiff yesterday and down the coast at Llandow where I was it was 26!

Anyway quiet or the Headmaster will confiscate our transitor radio!