Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 30 May 2011, 02:50 (Ref:2887911)   #101
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What's Dan Wheldon supposed to do, slow down and follow Hildebrand as his car slides to the finish line? He gained no advantage.
maybe it was for passing the lapped driver under yellow?
Old 30 May 2011, 03:04 (Ref:2887914)   #102
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wheldon won it, and it was deserved for his dogged perseverance at the end. But it was a bad result for the series unless Wheldon is at some more races.
Old 30 May 2011, 03:43 (Ref:2887922)   #103
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
maybe it was for passing the lapped driver under yellow?
There was no way he could have suddenly slowed down, that would have been really dangerous.
Old 30 May 2011, 06:31 (Ref:2887953)   #104
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow, what a screw up from JR. How do you ever forgive yourself for doing that? I was waiting for it as well, not a total surprise from a rookie. Why on earth was Kimball running SOOOOO slowly and forcing the leader to run the high lane on the last ******* corner.
That's even more pathetic than they way Marco lost it to Hornish a few years back.

Imagine 2 unheard of rookies winning Indy 500 and Daytona 500 in the same year.

Anyway, I'm really gutted Dixon didn't win. He was easily ahead of Wheldon with a few laps to go and should have caught JR. Thanks Ganassi for screwing him over on the fuel. At least Franchitti didn't get another fuel mileage victory.
Old 30 May 2011, 06:52 (Ref:2887954)   #105
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Bonanza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by baclightning View Post
Right. But the post 91 above clearly shows that Wheldon passed J.R.'s crippled car while the green light was still on. The yellow came out between the time Wheldon passed him, and when he crossed the finish line.
absolutely, and hence wheldon fairly won the race no question, I was merely correcting something, as if a count back rule would have applied (like I have seen speculated in various places) then technically JR would have won assumedly. Luckily that wasn't the case, and all's fair
Old 30 May 2011, 08:13 (Ref:2887997)   #106
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a fantastic race that was! Haven't watched it yet as cant find a download for it, but listened to the IMS Radio Broadcast earlier, man that was gripping, back to what Indy races remided me of!

Feel so sorry for JR, but man that boy has nothing to be ashamed about. Everyone makes mistakes, that why pencils have erasers. He was a rookie and came within half a mile of winning the biggest race on earth, not too bad that.
Old 30 May 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2888025)   #107
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What's up with Wheldon's teeth?
I think he borrowed them from Richard Petty
Old 30 May 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2888064)   #108
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
absolutely, and hence wheldon fairly won the race no question, I was merely correcting something, as if a count back rule would have applied (like I have seen speculated in various places) then technically JR would have won assumedly. Luckily that wasn't the case, and all's fair
The count back rule doesn't apply if you are the cause of the stoppage as far as I know. Dan won fair and square imho.
Old 30 May 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2888086)   #109
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The scene for us watching at Turn 4 was unbelievable.... for starters everyone was still trying to work out those last ten laps, everyone stood up to clap home the winner when you heard the engine note drop and the dust come up...you could see he was heading towards the wall, stunned silence from the whole crowd

I think he was right (in the heat of the moment) to try and round up Kimball, Kimball was travelling a fair bit slower than JR

My first 500 in person, and all i can say is i'll be back
Old 30 May 2011, 12:31 (Ref:2888154)   #110
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow what a finish - Baguette's fuel troubles were known with about a dozen laps to go, so it was clear he wouldn't take the checkers but once JR had the lead I thought it was the race. Wheldon is apparently only the 2nd driver to win the 500 without leading a full lap.
Old 31 May 2011, 01:10 (Ref:2888475)   #111
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
The scene for us watching at Turn 4 was unbelievable.... for starters everyone was still trying to work out those last ten laps, everyone stood up to clap home the winner when you heard the engine note drop and the dust come up...you could see he was heading towards the wall, stunned silence from the whole crowd

I think he was right (in the heat of the moment) to try and round up Kimball, Kimball was travelling a fair bit slower than JR

What's a punter from Penrith doing all the way in Indianapolis!?!? Talk about your fish out of water...

Good to hear you had a blast, racer!
Old 31 May 2011, 07:29 (Ref:2888518)   #112
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But if Hildebrand crossed the finish line first what they do? They went to Victory Lane with the wrecked car?
Old 31 May 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2888563)   #113
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would have been interesting...

JR Hildebrand must rate upthere with one of the biggest chokes in motorsport history - poor fella must still be feeling very sick! Wonder if he has any hair left...
Old 31 May 2011, 09:03 (Ref:2888582)   #114
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Think he was dammed if he did, damned if he didn't there.

If he had lifted of and waited to get round Kimball then Wheldon certainly would have caught him and then he would have regretted not going high.

Looking at the reply and how slow Kimball was going even once he exited turn 4, his team really should have told him to go to the apron to not impede the leaders, but hey ho, thats racing I suppose.

Super impressed by JR though, even with the mistake, that was an awesome drive by him.
Old 31 May 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2888592)   #115
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
But if Hildebrand crossed the finish line first what they do? They went to Victory Lane with the wrecked car?
Well if he'd crossed the finish line first and I was Herta I would protest him under the minimum weight rule.

Although since this is America and it was a National Guard car I would probably have rethought that......
Old 31 May 2011, 11:44 (Ref:2888674)   #116
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
Super impressed by JR though, even with the mistake, that was an awesome drive by him.
Impressed by the way he handled the post-race too... It would have been really easy to not carry oneself in the classy manner he has.
Old 31 May 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2888790)   #117
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
whilst changing the result would be downright ridiculous, the yellow light was clearly on before Wheldon crossed the finish line.
Yes. On ovals, a "yellow yellow yellow" for an incident turns the yellow light on and simultaneously stands up the safety team. While cars are to slow and maintain position by the NEXT yellow light or flag, Wheldon was past the light in 4 when it went on.
keke
-Man, I miss working the ovals-
Old 31 May 2011, 15:12 (Ref:2888797)   #118
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Dunno why Hildebrand just didn't back off? Inexperience, I guess.
He was tight on fuel and Wheldon was making up ground.

He wanted to keep his momentum in case he did run out of ethanol. Just got a little too high in the groove and pick up marbles on the outside (right side) tires.

Tough break.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 31 May 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2888799)   #119
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post

Amazing Place and Amazing Race, isn't it?

Sunday was my 40th Indy 500...It is "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing"

Old 31 May 2011, 15:39 (Ref:2888808)   #120
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Amazing Place and Amazing Race, isn't it?

Sunday was my 40th Indy 500...It is "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing"
It was a tough break.

Your 40th; that's impressive. Is that consecutively?

So far "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" for me has been Le Mans but I intend to go to Indy next year.
Old 31 May 2011, 17:21 (Ref:2888872)   #121
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
It was a tough break.

Your 40th; that's impressive. Is that consecutively?

So far "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" for me has been Le Mans but I intend to go to Indy next year.
No

I've missed only five. Went to the 1967 race as an 8-year-old for my first Indy 500.

Missed 1984-88 when I lived away from Indy, but was at the original date set for the 1986 race, but the Sunday and Monday were rained out and they moved it to the following weekend for the start. The only time in history that they have done that.

Without that weatehr snafu, it would have been only four races.

Old 31 May 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2888889)   #122
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:

If he had lifted of and waited to get round Kimball then Wheldon certainly would have caught him and then he would have regretted not going high.

Looking at the reply and how slow Kimball was going even once he exited turn 4, his team really should have told him to go to the apron to not impede the leaders, but hey ho, thats racing I suppose.

JR said that he had the choice of slowing down and risking getting passed by Dan or going for the win with a risky second lane pass. He said he didn't want to be known as the guy who lost the race by pussy-footing it on the last lap.

That's an indirect quote from him...Apparently, his spotters were telling him that Wheldon was gaining ground and thus he had to keep his foot in it in case he ran out of fuel...

Slowing down would have killed his momentum.

He had to pick his poison and the one he picked did kill his chances, but odds are that slowing down when Kimball was creeping along would have probably ended up with the same result.

Old 31 May 2011, 18:44 (Ref:2888929)   #123
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An excellent crowd, great competition, beautiful weather, an upset winner and Finally Penske/Ganassi lost. Other than the ABC coverage, what a bloody brilliant day for Indycar racing. Love this time of year, Le Mans in two weeks right after Indianapolis and Monaco followed by the Nurburgring. Congrats to Bryan Herta as well, class act.
Old 31 May 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2888976)   #124
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I agree with your assessment. While I'm not sure if Wheldon would have caught JR if he slowed, there is no way for him to know that. I'm not sure what Kimball was doing... damaged car, trying to let the leaders by? He was in the exact wrong spot at the wrong time. There just was no second groove (less than usual anyway) and one tire out of it and you are gone. I'm gutted for JR. I would have loved to see a young American win. I hope he gets this victory back soon.
Old 31 May 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2889012)   #125
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
JR said that he had the choice of slowing down and risking getting passed by Dan or going for the win with a risky second lane pass. He said he didn't want to be known as the guy who lost the race by pussy-footing it on the last lap.
Yeah exactly, he can go out with his head held high with that anyway.

Indy is as much about the stories it generates as it is for the winners, and at the end of the day, JR's story will be up there with the best of them for a long long time to come. People will remember the 100th 500 more so because of JR and turn 799 than Wheldon taking the win i bet.